Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia died of apparent natural causes Saturday on a luxury resort in West Texas, the San Antonio Express-News reported.

Scalia, 79, was a guest at the Cibolo Creek Ranch, a resort in the Big Bend region south of Marfa, the paper reported.

According to a report, Scalia, an associate justice, arrived at the ranch on Friday and attended a private party with about 40 people. When he did not appear for breakfast, a person associated with the ranch went to his room and found a body.

The U.S. Marshal Service, the Presidio County sheriff and the FBI were involved in the investigation, the paper reported.

A federal official who asked not to be named told the paper there was no evidence of foul play and it appeared that Scalia died of natural causes.

Scalia was nominated to the U.S. Supreme Court in 1986 by President Ronald Reagan.

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/2016/02/supreme-court-justice-antonin-scalia-reported-dead.html/

This is a big, big deal. The Supreme Court is now split evenly 4-4, and there is probably a better chance of Donald Trump flashing his dick on national TV (actually, not probably, I wouldn't actually be surprised if that happened) than there is of the Senate confirming anyone Obama nominates. Which means this election is about to explicitly be about "who gets control of the Supreme Court".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Can the Senate really block Obama's appointee to the point where it becomes irrelevant due to the next elections?

Yes. They don't even have to give a nominee a vote, but they'll probably just vote them down on a party-line vote to stick it to Obama.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

wasn't the Supreme Court about to issue a decision on a case on the validity of recess appointments or did that already happen

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

straight up brolic posted:

yeah but it's hard to imagine them not taking a 10 day recess over the next year.

They will make sure not to given the stakes. Also it seems that recess appointments case was over a year ago, oops.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It would be nice if there was any way to replace bad justices short of hoping they were dead, because while I didn't wish the guy any personal ill will I did want him off the court pretty badly but in reality there's no way to separate the two.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Well, congress could just impeach any justice that makes rulings they dislike. That would be a substantial norm violation that would seriously undermine the legitimacy of the court, so it might not happen for another 5 years or so :v:

The bigger block is really that it requires a 2/3rds majority which nobody has had in like forever.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

The guy was a vile racist. I'm sure chances are he didn't wish you well. The world is a better place with him dead.

I'm white and male and not poor, he'd have loved me.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Thug Lessons posted:

American Civics class gives you the government's perspective on how great it and its Constitution are. It's basically propaganda. Anyway I don't see any good reason to think that one President a hundred Senators all brought to you by Goldman Sachs are actually the best authority to decide who deserves a seat on the Supreme Court, it's just how our system happens to be set up.

Except that we can look at the effects of judicial elections in states, and discover the effects are terrible compared to states that appoint their justices.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

someone did not get the memo:

quote:

Republican Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC), speaking on a radio show Tuesday morning, cautioned against objecting to a Supreme Court nominee put forward by President Obama "sight unseen," ThinkProgress reported.

“I think we fall into the trap if just simply say sight unseen, we fall into the trap of being obstructionists,” Tillis told The Tyler Cralle Show. The comment was at odds with statements made by Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and other GOP leaders soon after Justice Antonin Scalia's surprise death that a successor shouldn't be considered until after a new president is inaugurated because it is an election year.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/tillis-scotus-nom

of course, he then goes onto say:

quote:

"If he puts forth someone that we think is in the mold of President Obama’s vision for America, then we’ll use every device available to block that nomination,” Tillis continued.

so he's not exactly being mr. reasonable here

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chuck Grassley may hold hearings as well now:

quote:

WASHINGTON — Senator Charles E. Grassley, Republican of Iowa and chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said Tuesday that he had not ruled out holding hearings on President Obama’s eventual nominee to replace Justice Antonin Scalia on the Supreme Court.

“I would wait until the nominee is made before I would make any decisions,” Mr. Grassley said, according to Radio Iowa. “This is a very serious position to fill and it should be filled and debated during the campaign and filled by either Hillary Clinton, Senator Sanders or whoever’s nominated by the Republicans.”

The remarks seemed to be a step back from Mr. Grassley’s statement on Saturday, in which he concurred with Senator Mitch McConnell, the majority leader, and several other Republican senators, who said the vacancy ought to be filled by the next president.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/17/u...WT.nav=top-news

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

There is still no way someone gets confirmed...

Almost certainly not, but if they hold hearings and can't find anything disqualifying it becomes even more politically damaging to deny the nominee.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gohmak posted:

Too whom? Seriously what non partisans really care? This tactic is par for course for the republicans and no one will be surprised.

It's precisely the non-partisans who will be most susceptible to "why isn't this nominee getting a vote if there's nothing wrong with them?" and it will continue to come up every time the court issues a 4-4 decision, and when Hillary or Sanders repeatedly references it as an ongoing issue in the election.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I hope you're right but I don't think enough people pay attention. The GOP has been nothing but rewarded for their extremism when it comes to obstruction of nominees.

Yeah, but the Supreme Court is the one nominee regular people actually know about and care about even a little bit. Even most lawyers can't really work up much caring over appeals court nominations, despite how important those are (and despite that Roberts keeps castigating the Senate over the vacancies caused by the slowed nominations). I mean it could easily not make a difference but if it's got a chance of making a difference hearings can only help.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oswald ownenstein posted:

This whole situation is so hilarious whenever you read comments from people on the left - especially on reddit.

Tons of fake moral outrage along the lines of "b-but it's the JOB of the PRESIDENT to nominate a new justice!! how dare these evil republicans try to prevent this!" or "they confirmed sotomayor and kagan, why wouldn't they confirm this one?!?! treason!!"

And everyone disingenuously pretends to not know why the conservatives are not going to simply let Bamma stack the court with another liberal rubber stamp, replacing the previously conservative rubber stamp.

We know why, it's just an illegitimate reason.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Obama has ceased giving fucks:

quote:

An exasperated Obama lamented how the opposition to a future nominee is just the latest example of the gridlock in Senate, particularly when it comes to nominations. “We’ve almost gotten accustomed to how obstructionist the Senate has become," he said.
He promised to nominate someone who is well-qualified and transcends partisan politics. However, he delivered a flat "no" when asked if that meant the person would be a moderate.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/obama-supreme-court-nominee-219345

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gohmak posted:

So you argue that this time will be different? It will not be.

I don't know what you think "last time" was so it's hard to know which of the many reasons you might be wrong it is.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

If you want to know why judicial elections are such a terrible idea, 95% of the US posters reading this who have voted have voted in a judicial election and I expect about 95% of those people didn't realize it or don't remember it. They almost certainly couldn't tell you who they voted for.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pillow Hat posted:

But guys the Supreme Court justices in Alabama are elected. Alabama! That state that other states look to as a beacon of hope and progress!

47 of 50 states elect some or all of their judges. You can blame people in the 1800s for that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gohmak posted:

Remember that time Obama took office and the Republicans began their stonewalling? Every time since then.

Do you remember that time they shut the government down, then got their demands met before they reopened it? No?

Stonewalling a Supreme Court nominee is the sort of crisis that stays in the news and that average people won't support. The really effective Republican stonewalling has been stuff that people can't be bothered to care about (sub-SCOTUS nominees). Even their blockade of Lynch broke down, though that might have been more their loathing of Holder and the realization they were only going to get rid of him if they confirmed Lynch.

What republicans have done successfully is avoid paying a price for their stonewalling in elections, but a big key to that has been not loving around too close to an election. Which is, incidentally, why Republicans are trying so hard to tamp down demands from the Freedom Cacucus that they have another knock-down budget fight this year.

edit: This is also made clear by the GOP senators who are going "sure, let's block any Obama nominee, but for god's sake pretend we have a justification" and getting annoyed at McConnell's "no votes, period" plan.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 17, 2016

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

It's all optics. Zero chance someone gets confirmed.

Predictit is still giving odds of about 35%-40% Obama gets someone confirmed, which I don't quite get. I keep wondering what I'm missing, or if I should just start collecting the free money.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

I never wanted to be on his team, I wanted to ideologically destroy him. What the gently caress is wrong with lawyers?

As a lawyer usually you don't pick which side you represent.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Radish posted:

I can totally understand people that shared his ideology being sad about his departure. I however don't think he deserves any respect from anyone else based on the quality of his work.

No, no matter how wrong he might be he was very, very talented at writing opinions. Again this may be something easier for lawyers to understand (but then again, it's a quality that's more relevant to being a good lawyer than being a good judge).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eh, one of his clerks hosed up there and spent a week in the torture dungeons as punishment, Scalia isn't there to do his own fact-checking or research

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

Isn't this also an argument against e.g. elected county governments?

To some degree, yes - elections for dogcatcher are not helping anyone. But I think for the important town positions word gets out, because it's a small enough community that you'll notice the campaigning.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Luna Was Here posted:

this might be preaching to the choir but advocating for judges to be elected is like really dumb because all you do is create a system where judges are going to change how they would decide cases to appear more electable rather than actually going with what they believe to be the right sentence

There's one judge who ran on his rape conviction rate. Not like he ran for judge based on his rape conviction rate as a prosecutor seeking a judicial appointment, but a judge who ran on the conviction rate in his courtroom.

Historically the only way for a judge to get booted out was ruling in favor of an unpopular criminal defendant, regardless of how justified the ruling was.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

euphronius posted:

All of the justices have top notch staffs of like the best lawyers in the country and they themselves are good lawyers . The authority of their branch of government rests on persuasion and the appearance of expertise. You are going to get well written opinions.

You've clearly never read a Souter opinion.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Al! posted:

You know how no matter horrible or obvious a question is on a poll there is still a good 20% who don't know where they stand on the issue of fuckmurder? Those are your moderates. And when they do vote they always vote republican because hats the party with no ideological consistency at all.

You're thinking of independents. I'm pretty sure people who self-describe as moderates lean Democratic these days.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is looking to nominate a Supreme Court candidate who has enjoyed past Republican support, Vice President Joe Biden said, offering some of the first indications of the president's criteria in replacing the late Justice Antonin Scalia.

In a radio interview airing Thursday, Biden pushed back against Republicans who insist that Obama hand off the decision to the next president. Still, Biden acknowledged that the Senate gets to have a say in confirming the president's pick.

"In order to get this done, the president is not going to be able to go out — nor would it be his instinct, anyway — to pick the most liberal jurist in the nation and put them on the court," the vice president told Minnesota Public Radio. "There are plenty of judges (who) are on high courts already who have had unanimous support of the Republicans."

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/02/18/us/politics/ap-us-supreme-court-scalia-successor.html

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arbitration shouldn't be illegal, but the court needs to stop banning states from declaring arbitration clauses in specific contracts unconcionable. It's fine if two sophisticated parties want to agree to arbitration: it's not fine if businesses try to force customers into arbitration.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

For some reason Predictit now thinks that Obama has a 60% chance of getting a nominee confirmed (but only 30% chance of his first nominee being confirmed) :psyduck:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pillow Hat posted:

What are the realistic chances Obama is nominated in the future, supposing that a Democrat is in the White House?

Very low, unless there's a vacacy in like year one of the next presidency. He'll be 55 when he leaves office and you don't want to nominate someone much older than that since you want your nominee to last as long as possible. Plus he may not even be interested.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I wouldn't be shocked if in a few years Obama gets bored and gets himself another Senate seat.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

If God forbid Ginsburg had died instead of Scalia, would conservatives be putting up a fight since Ginsburg would be replaced with another liberal Judge? Or do you think this big unprecedented FU would've happened regardless as one final big FU?

Yes, but not as desperately. Senators up for election wouldn't be jumping on board as fast but a Supreme Court seat is just too valuable to not make a stab at pushing it to a possible Republican President.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

I can't believe Republicans opened themselves up like this.

Now they're going to be caught between looking like loving idiots for stonewalling a judge they approved 97-0 or looking like loving idiots for walking back their promise to stonewall before even seeing the nominee.

Is this just a hail mary on the hope that a terrorist attack or economic crash puts a Republican in the white house? Or have they convinced themselves of alternate reality polls like they did in 2012?

I mean, between losing the Court for a generation, and taking even a 33% chance of taking the White House, it's easy to see why they think it's worth the risk. The economy could crater, there could be a real Clinton scandal, Sanders could get the nomination and be as unelectable as people have said he is, whatever. It's far too early for them to be out of it, though anyone sane will tell you the Democrats are favored it's not a lock.

I mean, the Republicans have been working my entire life (and probably yours) to control the Court. They've won a lot, but not everything they wanted and they're staring down the barrel of seeing Obama wipe it all away. It is a Big loving Deal if Obama gets this nomination and it's probably worth hurting their chances a little bit to get the chance of denying the Democrats this seat.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

But the next President will probably get to appoint one or two justices anyway, it doesn't seem worth it to push that to two or three justices while lowering the chances that it will be them, especially given their tough Senate map. I don't know, if I were McConnell I'd go to Obama right now and promise him a quick confirmation if he picks a moderate but a huge fight if he tries to stack the court with a liberal.

On the other hand, working with Obama might get you primaried by someone even crazier than you so maybe McConnell is just doing this until after the Senate primaries are done to keep a slate of unelectable assholes from Akin-ing the party in the congressional elections.

The problem with that idea is that the conservatives are so far to the right that "moderate" in this context is liberal. Moderate or liberal - either way, countless Republican victories are going to be overturned. It'll be a long time before you can even get to liberal, most of the effort for years is going to be clearing out the garbage.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Darth123123 posted:

Should it really take 23 pages of posts to confirm a judge?

we're pretty sure we've confirmed he's dead, yep

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fun fact: Although appointed by two different Bushes, Thomas and Alito are almost the same age and will probably retire/die around the same time. There's a real plus in going young if you can manage it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

uh why is anyone assuming arkane is being honest, it's a clip from the end of june 1992

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arkane posted:

oh dear god, the callous dishonesty of posting snark!

regardless, it is funny the fake outrage that is being bandied about when the exact same thing would happen/has happened if the parties were switched.

even setting aside the obvious difference between a hypothetical advanced at the end of june and the reality of the middle of february and also the mindless defense of "well maybe its wrong but you would do it too!", that one guy said a wrong thing is pretty different from the entire republican caucus in the senate doing the wrong thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The first GOP Senator up for re-election this year has cracked and defected:

quote:

Moderate Sen. Mark Kirk (R-IL) on Monday strayed from the hard line issued by Senate Republican leaders on President Obama's nomination to the Supreme Court, calling for the Senate to consider the President's nominee.

"I recognize the right of the president, be it Republican or Democrat, to place before the Senate a nominee for the Supreme Court and I fully expect and look forward to President Barack Obama advancing a nominee for the Senate to consider," Kirk wrote in a Monday op-ed in the Chicago Sun-Times.

Kirk's first public statement on how the Senate should proceed after Scalia's death had been keenly anticipated because he's a moderate Republican facing re-election this year in a closely watched race.

"I also recognize my duty as a senator to either vote in support or opposition to that nominee following a fair and thorough hearing along with a complete and transparent release of all requested information," he continued. "The Senate’s role in providing advice and consent is as important and significant as the president’s role in proposing a nominee."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/mark-kirk-supreme-court-scalia--2

Now, you still need 13 more to get past Cruz's inevitable filibuster (which is probably not happening), but it's very useful ammo for the Democrats in bashing Republicans over this.

• Locked thread