Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is Bob Seger worthy of GBS goonsensus?
Yes
No
What the gently caress are you talking about?
View Results

• Locked thread
El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday
Night Moves is one of the greatest songs ever written and I will make a huge fuckin scene if you disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?
Night Moves is horrible garbage rock. It's like a parody of rock music and not the fun heavy metal kind. It's like "Christian Rock" without the inherent hilarity and trail of semi-covert abortions. It's not even bad enough to listen to for laughs, it's in that awkward valley of hyper-mediocrity.

Rock music often revolves around vice. What vice does Bob Seger music promote?? Nostalgia, maybe. The shittiest of vices. The vice of sedentary dullards.

Acceptable dadrock bands would be like, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, pre-80s Santana, uhh, Neil Young, Queen, poo poo even Van Halen would be understandable. Bob Seger is more like the guy your dad made fun of as a kid. If your great grandma tried to buy a cool hip record album for your dad when he was a child it was probably a Bob Seger album. He just kept it in his record collection all these years for sentimental reasons.

Bob Seeger is like the Bud Light of rock music; no matter who you are, you deserve better. Bob Seeger is like some situation where you don't have time for breakfast so you buy some twinkies from the vending machine instead and then you stuff them in your mouth, moaning at the foaming sugary froth, and a co-worker passes by and they're like "you know they stock granola bars in that machine, too" and you're all like "FSHUT UP, ELITISHT AFFHOLSH" as you try to talk with your mouth full of twinkie and tiny yellow crumbs spray everywhere while whipped sugar runs down your flabby chin but OH it just feels SO GOOD

Rick Springfield songs are also terrible fwiw.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody mentioned Hollywood Nights, which I didn't link because all versions are live.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

mmmm posted:

Long winded rant

Woke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off i sat and wondered

Boom, roasted.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

i thought his first name was Pete

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Bob Seger is trash

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

mmmm posted:

Night Moves is horrible garbage rock. It's like a parody of rock music and not the fun heavy metal kind. It's like "Christian Rock" without the inherent hilarity and trail of semi-covert abortions. It's not even bad enough to listen to for laughs, it's in that awkward valley of hyper-mediocrity.

Rock music often revolves around vice. What vice does Bob Seger music promote?? Nostalgia, maybe. The shittiest of vices. The vice of sedentary dullards.

Acceptable dadrock bands would be like, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, pre-80s Santana, uhh, Neil Young, Queen, poo poo even Van Halen would be understandable. Bob Seger is more like the guy your dad made fun of as a kid. If your great grandma tried to buy a cool hip record album for your dad when he was a child it was probably a Bob Seger album. He just kept it in his record collection all these years for sentimental reasons.

Bob Seeger is like the Bud Light of rock music; no matter who you are, you deserve better. Bob Seeger is like some situation where you don't have time for breakfast so you buy some twinkies from the vending machine instead and then you stuff them in your mouth, moaning at the foaming sugary froth, and a co-worker passes by and they're like "you know they stock granola bars in that machine, too" and you're all like "FSHUT UP, ELITISHT AFFHOLSH" as you try to talk with your mouth full of twinkie and tiny yellow crumbs spray everywhere while whipped sugar runs down your flabby chin but OH it just feels SO GOOD

Rick Springfield songs are also terrible fwiw.

how many swirlies have you gotten in your life

Machaon
Sep 2, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Slow Bob Seger: Good (Turn the Page, Night Moves)

Fast Bob Seger: Bad (Katmandu)

Old Time Rock n' Roll is kind of in between those tempo-wise, but I tend to group it with the former rather than the latter.

I dunno, "Get Out of Denver" is one of my favorite songs of his, and it's definitely "Fast Bob Seger".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WWHdBuOC6Q

Also haven't seen anyone mention "Her Strut" yet, which is pretty good. Can't find any decent youtube videos but here's a bad one that shows a bunch of skinny-rear end runway models er some poo poo. Song is in tact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cYCjbfjGkA

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
he's one of those singers that i thought was black for a really long time, like sam smith

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts
I kinda think of him as momrock... Like Rod Stewart or sting as a later example... Maybe its just my mom that has that kind of taste

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

amityville anus posted:

Nobody mentioned Hollywood Nights, which I didn't link because all versions are live.

Yes... But it is a horrible song to drive to. Half way through it you'll see a cop with lights flashing behind you, then you'll look at your speedometer in confusion and see you're pushing 120kph.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Myron Baloney posted:

Speaking for old fucks, we heard that poo poo on the radio every ten minutes back then and we're still really sick of it.

Yea, I remember when these albums came out, they haven't withstood the test of time as well as a lot of the other stuff from that era imo

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Growing up around Detroit I swear all of my friend's dads would remember fondly drink beers with Bob in some blue collar bar. Yeah, he worked in the area. No, not all of you hung out with him having a Stroh's at the union hall.

Bobs good though. A straight journeyman rocker.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Retarded Pimp posted:

Yea, I remember when these albums came out, they haven't withstood the test of time as well as a lot of the other stuff from that era imo

Yep, for example compare sad-sack poo poo like "Turn the Page" with Jackson Browne's "The Load-Out/Stay", for pretty different results with similar subject material, although a few years apart. In the day Bob Seger was not a favorite of people who had most of their teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Bob Seger is good and makes me wonder if there's a rambling midnight life I was meant to lead but missed out on and now all I have to look forward to is nuclear hellfire scouring this gay earth clean

• Locked thread