Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ann disaster
Jan 27, 2007
Garbage and dogs are not part of a balanced diet.

There is a corner in my bathroom that looks like this - water damage that was caused by a leak that has since been fixed. Since it's cosmetic, the landlord isn't particularly interested in fixing it and I'm wondering if it is something that I can attempt myself as a generally medium-handy person who has never attempted drywall repair. There is obviously a ton online about repairing drywall but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to apply it to this particular situation. Most pages that are talking about repairing a corner are talking about little chips that can be patched with some drywall mud, not a spot as big as this.

Can you handy goons talk to me a little about what might be involved in dealing with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

With damp and water damage you need to make sure the thing is properly dry before you try anything, and isn't going to get wet again, otherwise you'll end up back at square one.

Otherwise I would say it's a job for a plasterer, plastering is quite difficult if you haven't got any practice with it but the general idea is you'd pull off all the damaged bits (because they're crumbly and poo poo) and apply a new coat of plaster to join up with the good bits of wall. Given the state of that I'd suggest it might end up with you pulling half the buttress down because it's probably gone funny quite a lot of the way up, and probably onto the rest of the wall as well.

If you don't really care much I guess you could try plastering over the holes but I dunno how your landlord would react. Obviouslly also you need to repaint over it afterwards. It's a pain in the arse job to do.

Really speaking my suggestion would be "don't have a bathroom that uses conventional plaster and paint anywhere near the water" but I guess that isn't an option really.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Since there's been water damage I would just replace the entire panel all together. Will be easier then patching all of that, trying to even it out etc. Pulling what's there would also let you see what's behind all that.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

In your position I'd pull that stuff out completely and replace it with waterboard; it's like drywall but it's water resistant, heavier and the fibers in it can be hard on your skin so wear gloves and don't use power tools to cut it (if you're the kind of daft soul who uses power tools on drywall to begin with).

One four by eight sheet, two outside corners and possibly one inside corner (get the kind with paper edging, they're soooo much easier), some drywall compound, tape, and moisture resistant paint shouldn't run you more than eighty bucks, but corners can be tricky and this is a job you'll want done right on the first go so consider hiring someone if you've never done drywall before. If you're determined to do this yourself you'll also need two putty knives - a one inch and a four inch - a bucket of at least 50 drywall screws, a power drill, a sanding sponge, a good breathing mask, a dust filter for your vacuum that can handle drywall dust and lots of patience because you're going to screw it up and that's okay.

I can totally talk you through this.

e: Whooops forgot the part where you screw it to the wall.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 15, 2016

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

But either way I'd pull the damaged stuff out now to let it air out and avoid mold. Can we see what the boards holding the wall up look like? Black spots are bad news and may necessitate more dramatic repairs that your landlord would be responsible for.

ann disaster
Jan 27, 2007
You guys are awesome. Without pulling the wall completely apart, the studs behind the drywall look okay, if a bit crumbly, but the corner bead is completely rusted away to about 8 inches up the wall. I can just cut above where it's rusted with a hacksaw to get it out, right, and then replace it with fresh corner bead?

My next concern is the part of the wall closest to the tub/shower. The drywall appears to be bad at least partway into where the shower wall is mounted. What the hell do I do about that? Some idiot slapped a piece of tile over the already bad drywall, ostensibly to protect it from further moisture (???) and it looks like that's going to have to come down also. How do I work behind the tub wall?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ann disaster posted:

You guys are awesome. Without pulling the wall completely apart, the studs behind the drywall look okay, if a bit crumbly, but the corner bead is completely rusted away to about 8 inches up the wall. I can just cut above where it's rusted with a hacksaw to get it out, right, and then replace it with fresh corner bead?

You totally can. I'd go with "quite a bit above" to be sure there's no rotted drywall back there.

Not to harp on ya, but if it's been wet long enough to rust metal you are definitely going to want to pull the wall completely apart and check the studs for black mold. That's step zero - if you've got mold you're in for a bleachy, masky, yell at your landlordy day instead of an afternoon at Lowe's and two or three enjoyable afternoons in your shorts with the radio turned up.

quote:

My next concern is the part of the wall closest to the tub/shower. The drywall appears to be bad at least partway into where the shower wall is mounted. What the hell do I do about that? Some idiot slapped a piece of tile over the already bad drywall, ostensibly to protect it from further moisture (???) and it looks like that's going to have to come down also. How do I work behind the tub wall?

By hauling it down. That should be tile board or some other waterproof rigid board back there for the tile/tub wall to stick to, ordinary drywall's not going to do squat and waterboard is only water-resistant. If what the bath wall's stuck to has fallen apart, that's going to have to be replaced with something good before you put the tub wall back. On the upside, I'm guessing it's a vinyl panel and not a complete one-piece tub surround?

Can I see the whole bathroom so I know what I'm getting you into here? Are you averse to just saying "screw it" and tiling the whole thing? Cause that's way harder to gently caress up than drywall.

e: I am not a contractor.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 15, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Chasing water damage in a house is like chasing an electrical issue in a car, only worth doing if you don't have any choice and cant hire someone else. If all you care about is a cosmetic fix then just patch, mud and paint and don't even worry about loving with the studs or anything else.

ann disaster
Jan 27, 2007
drat, this is shaping up to be more intense than I think I'm down to take on. Bongwizzard pretty much nailed how I feel about this - the corner looks gross, I want it to look better, but at the end of the day my landlord is the one who is going to have to fix the bigger issues in the bathroom (starting with green board instead of regular drywall and putting in a loving exhaust fan ever.)

Here's a wider shot of the bathroom:

The situation that I am in is thus: I'm a renter, will probably not live in this house forever, and have a landlord who has historically been uninterested in making anything but the most dire repairs. I like fixing things, and would be interested in tackling this as an exercise if nothing else, but I don't want to get in over my head and end up investing more time/money into addressing this than it's really worth, particularly since it looks like I might be getting ready to go down a rabbit hole of repairs.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

In that case, screw it. You can make the exterior look plenty nice without rooting around in the walls like Mike Holmes. Use your building material of choice to fix the part of the corner you can see and call it a day.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 15, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
gently caress it dude, get some sprayfoam and just fill all those holes, then trim it flush and patch with liquid nails if you really give a poo poo. Nothing sort of a remodel is going to help that bathroom.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I was thinking more of the eventual perils that come from sealing in water damage and the extra risks of doing that to someone else's house when the rental agreement might not allow it, but now I'm totally with this guy. If that's the standard the owner is happy with, don't get suckered into surpassing it on your dime. Hacksaw, drywall, paint, done.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bongwizzard posted:

gently caress it dude, get some sprayfoam and just fill all those holes, then trim it flush and patch with liquid nails if you really give a poo poo. Nothing sort of a remodel is going to help that bathroom.

Given that it isn't your house and your landlord is a twat this isn't a terrible suggestion. Some lovely filler material and some new backing paper/coat of paint will make it look a lot better without actually fixing the problem that's causing it, which it isn't your job to fix anyway.

If it was your own house I'd suggest demolishign half the bathroom but as it's not if it's just annoying you, a lovely fix is probably more sensible given that you'll no doubt lose your deposit whatever you do, no point paying your landlord for the pleasure of it.

ann disaster
Jan 27, 2007
This story has a shockingly happy ending. Today the guy that fixes things from my house's management company came over to check something incidental in the house and I was like, hey, can you take a look at this terrible thing in my bathroom?

He's out buying the materials to fix it at this very moment! So I get (an undoubtedly cosmetic) repair of my mangy bathroom corner with none of the hassle of having to do it myself. Thanks, internet!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Uh, do you live in Houston? That looks like my old bathroom.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ann disaster posted:

This story has a shockingly happy ending. Today the guy that fixes things from my house's management company came over to check something incidental in the house and I was like, hey, can you take a look at this terrible thing in my bathroom?

He's out buying the materials to fix it at this very moment! So I get (an undoubtedly cosmetic) repair of my mangy bathroom corner with none of the hassle of having to do it myself. Thanks, internet!

Someone else is doing the work AND putting his name on it for when it's shown later to be garbage? That's the time when you pop a beer and congratulate yourself on good life choices right there :)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
This is a refreshing thread where things work out well in the end.

Camera pans out, revealing a pale human hand sticking out from the cabinet.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Or like dude's best friend is sealed up behind the tub, that nasty water hole his only source of air.

Griz
May 21, 2001

flakeloaf posted:

Someone else is doing the work AND putting his name on it for when it's shown later to be garbage? That's the time when you pop a beer and congratulate yourself on good life choices right there :)

Maintenance dude wants to fix it now because it's less work than letting it rot and having to replace the entire wall, lovely landlord doesn't care because he'll just find some other reason to take the entire deposit when the tenant leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The "right" answer for fixing water damage is to rip out everything that is water damaged or could be hiding water damage until it's all gone, then starting over from that point. And looking at that bathroom, probably everything behind/underneath that tub is water damaged and that means basically gutting the bathroom to fix it right.

In this case, doing a quick cosmetic repair because you don't own it and it's not your problem, and not renting from a slumlord in the future, is the actual right answer.

• Locked thread