Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
Cleaning the pole in a strip club is either the worst or the best job.

If the Earth is a geoid, what shape is the moon?

How did random carbon molecules evolve into living cells? If this process is a natural occurrence, why did no other element form reproducing organisms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If Obama nominates himself for supreme court what team will he be picked for?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
id buy that for a dollar!!!

El Boot
Mar 18, 2009

Thank Dog It's Friday
I think it's pretty standard for each stripper to clean the pole herself before use

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

H.H posted:

How did random carbon molecules evolve into living cells? If this process is a natural occurrence, why did no other element form reproducing organisms?

I had a dream last night that the earth was cube shaped and the oceans curled around like waterfalls like in that awful cartoon Columbus movie

And I think carbon is just really good at building long molecules. Nothing else is really as versatile (although I think silicone can hypothetically but you need an entirely different evolutionary paradigm)

Remember the bacteria on earth they found in California that use arsenic instead of phosphorus for its DNA: http://www.nature.com/news/arsenic-life-bacterium-prefers-phosphorus-after-all-1.11520

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

H.H posted:

I can't find it now but it has to do with how carbon atoms bond to other atoms. It has like the maximum number of bonding sites or something. Silicon is similar which is why you often hear talk about silicon based life.

The bigger question is what forms rna in the first place... was it made then brought here, or do the laws of the universe dictate that it forms naturally when stars explode and comets collide or something... and if so, why? In fact, why anything?

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNA_world

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'd clean a stripper pole with my tongue if they let me.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Is this the worst thread well the jury's still out but I think yes.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Nation posted:

id buy that for a dollar!!!

This was playing through my head last night when I was loaded.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7RgN9ijwE4

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
The Last Kingdom is good but Vikings is bad

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The moon is round you retard you can look up and see it

When it doesn't look round that's just a shadow or something

Or the sun is, like, over there

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Dog is goD spelled backwards

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Doctor Dogballs posted:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I just had sex with a woman and ejaculated. I enjoyed it fyi

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

vyst posted:

what was he name you god drat son of a bitxh

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All babies are born with penises. They just fall off the dumb ones.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MiracleWhale posted:

what was he name you god drat son of a bitxh

She referred to herself as Mrs. MiracleWhale. Lammmo

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

vyst posted:

fkin rekt

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

vyst posted:

you have rendered my mother haram and now i must throw her to the pigs

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I got a corn dog from a street vendor not expecting it to be good, because it was so cheap. But it tasted goodt and was high quality, especially with the mustard they had. It turned out to be a good value and I was happy with the whole situation afterwards.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

sex therapy is legal but thy rape sex is not despite being an anagram

this makes me wonder if there are any more illegal/legal anagram pairs

larceny/clear NY - probably not; most areas require buildings to be opaque for privacy and plane safety reasons
assault/USA salt - nope american salt contains too much lead and mercury to be legal

so i just don't know

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Great responses so far, I think we really got a discussion going. Really digging that RNA World theory.

Other thoughts: How come Gnostic religions didn't last, seeing how well they combine an explanation of the existence of evil in the framework of an ordered creation?

How much does history progress by the actions of lone figures, as opposed to being the outcome of inevitable forces? If Napoleon didn't exist, would the French still end up controlling everything from Spain to Moscow?

If dolphins are really that intelligent, what is holding them back technologically? Is it the lack of suitable anatomy for tool-making, or something in their psyche that sees no need for more complex social structures? If the latter is true, might we be the exception, as far as self-aware organisms go, rather than the rule?

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

H.H posted:

If dolphins are really that intelligent, what is holding them back technologically? Is it the lack of suitable anatomy for tool-making

would you be willing to contribute to my charity that grafts thumbs to dolphin flippers

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

vyst posted:

what was his name

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

fyodor posted:

what was his name

Harry McAssripper

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

All babies are born with penises. They just fall off the dumb ones.

Well poo poo. I haven't shed mine yet. Should I do the thing with a string tied to a doorknob?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

H.H posted:

Great responses so far, I think we really got a discussion going. Really digging that RNA World theory.

Other thoughts: How come Gnostic religions didn't last, seeing how well they combine an explanation of the existence of evil in the framework of an ordered creation?

Satan

quote:

How much does history progress by the actions of lone figures, as opposed to being the outcome of inevitable forces? If Napoleon didn't exist, would the French still end up controlling everything from Spain to Moscow?

As history evolves it comes to points of flux where the momentum of the past is lessened and a sufficient push with enough will and vision can change its course. In lesser flux you need a greater man with greater force, in greater flux even someone as retarded as hitler can change everything forever.

quote:

If dolphins are really that intelligent, what is holding them back technologically? Is it the lack of suitable anatomy for tool-making, or something in their psyche that sees no need for more complex social structures? If the latter is true, might we be the exception, as far as self-aware organisms go, rather than the rule?

Dolphins just do whatever and don't have a sense of morality and thus no free will according to the doctrine 'aught implies thought'. You can only have free will if you can recognise what you should be doing and then choose not to do it. Technology is the physical embodiment of will.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gnostics didn't believe in a church or a pope or anything beyond staying true blue to yourself and the streets. poo poo wasn't built to last.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

H.H posted:

false dichotomy, oblate spheroid, hump my rump/poz my neg hole

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.
what are birds?

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

Technology is the physical embodiment of will.

That sounds really insightful. Care to elaborate?

Is it because technology is there only to enable us to achieve our goals through willpower? Does the term "goal" even have meaning in the context of no free will?

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
what does the Otter say?

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
how many holes are in the sea of holes?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

H.H posted:

That sounds really insightful. Care to elaborate?

Is it because technology is there only to enable us to achieve our goals through willpower? Does the term "goal" even have meaning in the context of no free will?

To invent technology - a labour saving device - I must be aware of what I am doing, and either what I am doing is wrong and ought to be improved, or I want to not do it despite the fact I aught to be doing it and create something to do it for me. Free will, according to Kant, means we have the ability to recognise these conditions and then to choose between them.

I definitely think you can have goals without free will: dolphins, for example, loves killing porpoises because murder excites them. They don't eat them, they aren't threatened by them, it's just cool, they like to do it, so they will go to a porpoise hang out zone with the goal of murdering a porpoise. But they can't recognise that they should or shouldn't kill and thus can't make any decisions: they just do what they want, as much they can. They are controlled entirely by their needs and wants and thus have as little free will as a calculator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Dr. Dogballs Jr. posted:

how many holes are in the sea of holes?

I think the term "sea" implies an infinite amount, at least in a philosophical sense.
Not sure, though, I'll have to re-watch "Yellow Submarine" to make a definitive answer.

• Locked thread