Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
listen here, OP. genies are ghosts only to the extent that middle eastern people are human. It's scientific fact that jews are folded up cockroaches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Dude peep this duck

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
that's one rad duck. ducks are cool.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

In "The Brothers Karamazov", Dostoyevsky writes that it is much easier to die for a cause than to live for one. Young people often go to war, ready to die for the sake of their country, for glory.
How many people, however, would be willing to spend their lives as monks, living in poverty and adherence to a strict code of conduct and obedience? How much harder is it to toil for years for a cause, whetever that cause may be, than to die for it in an instant?

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

H.H posted:

In "The Brothers Karamazov", Dostoyevsky writes that it is much easier to die for a cause than to live for one. Young people often go to war, ready to die for the sake of their country, for glory.
How many people, however, would be willing to spend their lives as monks, living in poverty and adherence to a strict code of conduct and obedience? How much harder is it to toil for years for a cause, whetever that cause may be, than to die for it in an instant?

how long can you go without fapping "because god told you not to" is the more important aspect here hh

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

That's a part of it, sure.

I know some people who would rather die than go for the rest of their lives without masturbating, which just proves Dostoyevsky's point.

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

H.H posted:

That's a part of it, sure.

I know some people who would rather die than go for the rest of their lives without masturbating, which just proves Dostoyevsky's point.

there arent enough causes worthy of being a poor fucker for the rest of your life to commit to that people want to join? religion is removed as a viable reason in modern times to gently caress yourself over that hard

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Minimalist Program posted:

Dude peep this duck

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that ducks probably dead now. not quite so 'tubular' when u thinkof it that way, is it, 'maaaan'. on the other hand,if that is indeed a potato as i theorise,then it is almost surely imortal as all potatos are

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Dr. Dogballs Jr. posted:

there arent enough causes worthy of being a poor fucker for the rest of your life to commit to that people want to join? religion is removed as a viable reason in modern times to gently caress yourself over that hard

There are some scenarios i can think of. Sartre talked of caring for one's mother instead of going off to war as an ethical dilemma.
Devoting years of your life in this unglamorous and at times frusturating way is quite similar, and for a lot of people can be the moral equivilant, to what was once the ultimate sacrifice of one's lifetime to God.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

did he???

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
as a caretaker to special needs people who doesn't get paid enough to make rent by myself, yes. im gonna make the over obvious statement consumer society is responsible for lack of devotion to non monetary causes (water wet etc). money replaced ethics, we're told to go for the most (sky blue blah blah blah)

i dunno what philosophical musings to add to this, maybe something about how free are we to pursue those callings? are you the kind of person that views breaking societal norms as an ethical dilemma? perhaps only some ethical norms are dilemma-status causing, it's all case by case

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Frankenstyle posted:

Well poo poo. I haven't shed mine yet. Should I do the thing with a string tied to a doorknob?

Dummies choice.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
This thread is going places.
Is 'the gutter' a place?

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Hey, it's my old thread necromanced.

Just in time, I an thinking about reading Plato's "The Republic", the must be tons of noteworthy thought that can be gleaned from it.

In the mean time, here is something I've been considering these last few days:

in Xenophon's Anabasis, the most famous scene in the book relates the army's first sighting of the sea. The front of the marching line shouts "Thalassa! Thalassa!" (Greek for "The Sea") and rushes to the coast line, where they proceed to sacrifice some of their loot from the Persian campaign to the gods, in gratitude for bringing them to this point, and from there homewards.
This illustrates the ancient craving, that by now pretty much vanished from the west, for idol-worshipping. The book does not bother with explaining the offering itself, being sure of the reader's understanding of this drive of human nature. Yet we don't really feel that, except for some relatively weak stirrings of superstition.

The book renders this often maligned trait as a beautiful and respectful acknowledgment of man's relation to his surroundings.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

H.H posted:

Hey, it's my old thread necromanced.

Just in time, I an thinking about reading Plato's "The Republic", the must be tons of noteworthy thought that can be gleaned from it.

In the mean time, here is something I've been considering these last few days:

in Xenophon's Anabasis, the most famous scene in the book relates the army's first sighting of the sea. The front of the marching line shouts "Thalassa! Thalassa!" (Greek for "The Sea") and rushes to the coast line, where they proceed to sacrifice some of their loot from the Persian campaign to the gods, in gratitude for bringing them to this point, and from there homewards.
This illustrates the ancient craving, that by now pretty much vanished from the west, for idol-worshipping. The book does not bother with explaining the offering itself, being sure of the reader's understanding of this drive of human nature. Yet we don't really feel that, except for some relatively weak stirrings of superstition.

The book renders this often maligned trait as a beautiful and respectful acknowledgment of man's relation to his surroundings.
Many religions and superstitions have some form of forbidden thing that once experienced can not be undone and this goes hand in hand with the idea of acceptance without investigation. I have a bit of a pet theory that this is based around the idea that it's hard to turn back from non-belief, that once you've concluded god is non existant at worst or merely irrelevant in your life at best you can't go back to that blissful certainty that is faith. Human brains have been demonstrated in scientific research to be pretty much built with the capacity for faith and I think part of this is a quality of life booster in that everything is so much easier and simpler if you genuinely believe in the idea of a god or gods and everything that comes with them, people are generally happier when things are laid out for them.

This is why even among non-believers you commonly see cult like and almost religious behavior, people joke about the church of dawkins because that's genuinely what it looks like to an outsider.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

seriously, where did the tooth come from?
:iiam:

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

There is a lot of talk in recent years of the wage gap.

The original gap, however, the cause of real inequality, was the education gap: this is best demonstrated by literature. The translation of popular novels is a relatively new phenomenon. It was assumed that people either knew several European languages or were illiterate altogether. Poverty was equated with ignorance, and so the elite was hesitant about giving suffrage to people without property.
The advent of public mass education changed that.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Starting to read Plato's Republic, I come to this conclusion: Socrates is the first documented troll. He trapped people with logic and rhetoric, owning friend and foe alike.

Is drinking hemlock, then, just an early form of permaban?

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

He was indeed a wise man, since he lived on the expense of his rich friends and passed his time in leisure: bullshitting, feasting and drinking wine.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

H.H posted:

Starting to read Plato's Republic, I come to this conclusion: Socrates is the first documented troll. He trapped people with logic and rhetoric, owning friend and foe alike.

Is drinking hemlock, then, just an early form of permaban?
There are things i like and dislike about his argument style. On one hand its a good method to lead people to your conclusions without letting them weasel around what they've said or put words in your mouth, you go step by step and before they know it they've pretty much set up your argument for you. On the other hand it often involves a lot of leading questions and just cause you can railroad dumbassacles into seeing things your way doesn't mean there aren't holes in your argument. Its been a while since i read some of his stuff but i distinctly recall angles to the problems i felt were completely unaddressed that i would have appreciated discussing with him if i could go back in time.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

If you could indeed go back and discuss any topic with him, including modern issues, what would you choose to talk to him about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

There are things i like and dislike about his argument style. On one hand its a good method to lead people to your conclusions without letting them weasel around what they've said or put words in your mouth, you go step by step and before they know it they've pretty much set up your argument for you. On the other hand it often involves a lot of leading questions and just cause you can railroad dumbassacles into seeing things your way doesn't mean there aren't holes in your argument. Its been a while since i read some of his stuff but i distinctly recall angles to the problems i felt were completely unaddressed that i would have appreciated discussing with him if i could go back in time.

holy gently caress i wouldnt want to be socrates right now

• Locked thread