Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

If I was ever going to kill myself, I would want to do it in a way such that my organs could be saved and harvested. I just can't stand the thought of organs going to waste

well... not to get too into this subject but most of the "pretty" suicide methods have high failure rates. helium exit bags are bullshit, for example. you could hang yourself, but even professional executioners hosed that up regularly back in the day, so you run the risk of a failed suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Did you tell your family you were going in or were you able to hide it?
Do you worry about making your parents feel like failures fir not helping when you were younger?
My preferred method would be gunshot on the way down from a high roof. Preferably at my old high school or college.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

thanks op for answering all the questions this has been a pretty interesting thread

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

i'd looooove to get a dog, but my house is full enough as it is.

Is it like a hoarding situation or just full of general filth? Dogs are pretty small.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Is it like a hoarding situation or just full of general filth? Dogs are pretty small.

Your vulgar life should be wiped from the earth

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Did you tell your family you were going in or were you able to hide it?
i told a few people, yeah. my mom came and visited me every night. she's a great mom.

quote:

Do you worry about making your parents feel like failures fir not helping when you were younger?
yes, and i really have tried hard to reassure my mom that it's okay and that she's the best mom ever(she is). she has a very high opinion of me anyway so that helps. one of the hardest things was having her apologize to me for a lot of things i went through as a kid that were basically a result of her trying to live a healthy personal life while supporting my sister and me. i can only hope that i've gotten through to her and that she doesn't blame herself.

Three Olives posted:

i live in a house with 6 people and 1 cat(roommate's cat). only about 3 of us actually clean anything so yeah things are barely under control. i don't think anyone would be down with another lifeform living in the house, and i don't approve of outside-only dogs.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Did you write a suicide note?

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
What was so transformative about those 5 days? Why do you feel like a changed person, and why don't you want to die anymore? What specifically did it do to help you?

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Hi OP I'm rather glad you're getting the help you needed - taking time away to reconnect and engage in the simpler activities you did as a kid (coloring, VHS movies, etc) can be a really cathartic way to step back from life to reflect, recenter, and remind yourself how to find joy in the moment.

I'd like to respond to Chaosbreather's questions because honestly I can relate to both his/her and your own positions:

chaosbreather posted:

- Do you ever wonder whether you're the sane one and it's everyone else who's crazy?
Yes. Everyone is crazy to certain degrees, however peoples' crazier parts come out when dealing with the people they feel they can't speak honestly to, and a lot of people aren't even that honest with themselves. Naturally it takes a lot of time to build up the trust, rapport, and respect needed to be able to speak honestly with even just one other person much less a larger group, so really it comes as no surprise that society should always seem to act weird to the individual, especially if we're not comfortable enough with ourselves to be 100% honest and open with society.

chaosbreather posted:

- Isn't killing yourself the same as killing everyone else on the planet if you think about it?
In a transpersonal sense it is, yes. It means you'd rather attempt to erase your own existence from the universe than deal with even a single discordant relationship in your life, and so everyone in your universe then gets taken down with it. Perversely enough, suicide is the most wastefully-selfish act a person could ever commit upon themselves, and it does violence upon every person that ever knew them.

chaosbreather posted:

- Doesn't depression seem like a natural response to the intensely dehumanising and meaningless modern world?
Everyone's doing the best they can in life, but it's hard to keep one's whole world spinning in balance. Best you can do is to learn where and how and with whom to seek out that meaning in life you so desire. Find your passions, man. Peace be with you~

Edit: formatting

Dinosaurmageddon fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 15, 2016

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

What was so transformative about those 5 days? Why do you feel like a changed person, and why don't you want to die anymore? What specifically did it do to help you?

i'm not entirely sure I can offer a complete answer to this, but i'll tell you what i know so far:

1. a mental health unit is a place where you can focus entirely on your problems. my depression was getting worse because it was debilitating, meaning i did worse at work(no one noticed), and i couldn't function in my social groups the way i would normally like to. i felt like a burden on everyone, and that fed into my negative self-image. being able to take a "time out" so to speak and just focus on what is wrong with me was a huge advantage in overcoming my suicidal thoughts.

2. the counseling and group therapy i received(also presumably the drugs, but they take a few weeks to work) really work. i was forced to learn and take seriously a lot of ideas about mental hygiene and the types of distorted thinking that i was practicing every hour of every day that DO make a difference. a lot of it sounds like common sense, but having distorted thoughts specifically spelled out for you really makes it a lot easier to identify when you're having them. i take responsibility for the way i think and make an effort to correct it in a way that is active and conscious. talk therapy and books might do this for some people, but the mental health unit offers a full time regimen in thinking positively.

3. meeting someone in a mental health unit is a.... special experience. your lives touch in a unique way. everyone there is there for a problem that, in all likelihood, has been deeply private and personal to them, and in most cases(at least in my stay), people are willing to share it with you because they know that you're going through something similar. while i've chosen not to maintain contact with anyone from the unit, i feel that i know some of them better than people i've known on the outside for years. i'm sure some people in there feel the same way about me, and i had an outlet to share my deepest feelings and fears with... quite a few people. my experiences socializing, my efforts to stay patient and positive even in the face of people whose problems make them totally belligerent, have given me a new perspective on how to interact with people. people really responded to the way i interacted with them in there, and i made an effort to make sure everyone in there knew i was a friend. i plan to take it to the outside, too.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Did you write a suicide note?

no, i intended to but i had a lot to say and i wanted to make sure i was articulate about it. some of my journaling contains parts of a draft.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
How old are you?

Do you have a job that's fulfilling?

What do you see as your future life?

E do you drink?

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 15, 2016

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Darth123123 posted:

How old are you?

Do you have a job that's fulfilling?

What do you see as your future life?

E do you drink?

I don't hate my job but I don't love it. It pays the bills.

I'm learning to become a computer programmer. I'll probably be going back to school in the fall for it. I greatly enjoy programming and hope to make a career in that. I also want to find a nice girl to settle down with.

I decided to quit drinking while I was in the unit. I was drinking a beer or two most days after work, more heavily if I had a social occasion. I don't think anyone suggested to me that I had a drinking problem but I think it's better if I cut it out or limit it to special occasions.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I don't hate my job but I don't love it. It pays the bills.

I'm learning to become a computer programmer. I'll probably be going back to school in the fall for it. I greatly enjoy programming and hope to make a career in that. I also want to find a nice girl to settle down with.

I decided to quit drinking while I was in the unit. I was drinking a beer or two most days after work, more heavily if I had a social occasion. I don't think anyone suggested to me that I had a drinking problem but I think it's better if I cut it out or limit it to special occasions.

Thx!

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Nice thread op, good for you.

What drugs did they put you on? Had you ever been on antidepressants? Was your diagnosis anything beyond depression?

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

3. meeting someone in a mental health unit is a.... special experience. your lives touch in a unique way. everyone there is there for a problem that, in all likelihood, has been deeply private and personal to them, and in most cases(at least in my stay), people are willing to share it with you because they know that you're going through something similar. while i've chosen not to maintain contact with anyone from the unit, i feel that i know some of them better than people i've known on the outside for years. i'm sure some people in there feel the same way about me, and i had an outlet to share my deepest feelings and fears with... quite a few people.

i know this is hosed up to say in the overall context of this thread, but i feel jealous of this. can't say I've had that kind of connection in many, many years and it just sounds like an amazing and potentially transformative experience

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
mental institutions are great places to pick up women/men

Fruit-by-the-Foot Fetish
Aug 3, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I greatly enjoy programming and hope to make a career in that. I also want to find a nice girl to settle down with.

lol

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

MiracleWhale posted:

i know this is hosed up to say in the overall context of this thread, but i feel jealous of this. can't say I've had that kind of connection in many, many years and it just sounds like an amazing and potentially transformative experience

As someone who spent last Thanksgiving and Christmas in one, I can say that they are extremely transformative and wish that there was less of a stigma about getting help at these places, so that more people would choose to get treatment they need instead of continuing to suffer or ending it.

As an example, my Leave of Absence coordinator, suggested I tell people I was having Chemotherapy sessions and not getting therapy. Somehow almost dying of cancer is better than checking yourself into a mental hospital.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I may have a meltdown this tuesday regarding school so look forward to that potential thread GBS!

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I visited a crazyfriend in the loonybin once because another friend guilted me into it and some random woman decided to hijack the conversation and tell us about her craigslist orgies

she was like 350lbs

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

don't let anyone tell you that you're crazy, op. suicide is a perfectly reasonable reaction to living in this uncaring and hopeless universe

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Doghouse posted:

Nice thread op, good for you.

What drugs did they put you on? Had you ever been on antidepressants? Was your diagnosis anything beyond depression?

right now my diagnosis is just major depression but I think general anxiety disorder or something else might be appropriate, we'll see when I talk more extensively with a psychiatrist. all i'm taking right now is 20mg of lexapro once a day. they gave me ativan a few times in the unit which was a help, but they didn't end up giving me a prescription for it. i'm kind of scared of a benzo addiction anyway i guess. i've never taken antidepressants before and before i started seeing a therapist recently i had never sought treatment for my depression.

MiracleWhale posted:

yeah... i can say there's probably a better way to get that if you really want it but i can see why you'd feel that way.

an iksar monk posted:

As someone who spent last Thanksgiving and Christmas in one, I can say that they are extremely transformative and wish that there was less of a stigma about getting help at these places, so that more people would choose to get treatment they need instead of continuing to suffer or ending it.

As an example, my Leave of Absence coordinator, suggested I tell people I was having Chemotherapy sessions and not getting therapy. Somehow almost dying of cancer is better than checking yourself into a mental hospital.

agreed. i'm lucky that i can trust the people closest to me to understand but it's going to be tough justifying myself to my coworkers without revealing anything.

Microwaves Mom posted:

I may have a meltdown this tuesday regarding school so look forward to that potential thread GBS!

good luck, seriously. there was a girl in my unit who would speak when spoken to, but generally just sat in her room in the same position, saying nothing unless she thought everyone was asleep, at which point she started reciting microbiology lectures. that's according to her roommates. she must have snapped from school. she had been there over a month.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

If I was ever going to kill myself, I would want to do it in a way such that my organs could be saved and harvested. I just can't stand the thought of organs going to waste

But what if the people who got your organs developed a crippling internet addiction, ultimately culminating in suicide, then they donated their organs and it just spreads and spreads? There's been a lot of speculation about this kind of thing. I think it's like a category 3 incident? I'll have to check. I haven't been too good about keeping up with my preparedness drills.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

symbolic posted:

congratulations on finally moving out of your parents' house

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Kyoon thread!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Glad you're still alive, OP, but I question your choice to "bounce back" here. But hey, whatever. Cheers.:cheers:

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
There is a really good thread in the ask/tell about working in a unit like this.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

chaosbreather posted:

i'm personally very glad you didn't kill yourself as i had an ex girlfriend who killed herself some time after i stopped seeing her and its been almost a decade and i'm still not really right to be honest, it really hurts the people who care about you a lot. if you kill yourself gently caress you

if someone is in such a miserable state that they're actually able to action a suicide plan (hint: it's not easy to overcome basic survival instinct) and your first instinct is to whine about how it affected YOU, i think you might have abdicated the moral high ground.

Reflexively trying to lump more guilt on suicidally depressed people just because it makes you feel better is at once the most weak, petty, and pathetic action while also just pissing in the face of people who are already at rock bottom.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

no, i intended to but i had a lot to say and i wanted to make sure i was articulate about it. some of my journaling contains parts of a draft.

This may run counter to advice your therapists have given you, but personally I would consider just cold stopping writing journal entries, especially if this has become a daily or more than daily thing. If you're constantly writing about how miserable you are it has a way of becoming a feedback loop rather than a release valve, but then I don't know what your entries are like so it might not be a problem for you.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

yes. i signed a waiver saying I was okay with that. actually funny story, I tried contacting the police and the DOJ to get myself restricted from buying a gun because I knew I was suicidal and they were blindsided by the question. there's no way to voluntarily make yourself unable to buy a gun.

They do realize that it's non-binding since you lacked mental capacity to sign said form, right?

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Congrats on your new super outlook on life oP! I'm sure things can only get better now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qNIT-1V6QA

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

A Stupid Baby posted:

if someone is in such a miserable state that they're actually able to action a suicide plan (hint: it's not easy to overcome basic survival instinct) and your first instinct is to whine about how it affected YOU, i think you might have abdicated the moral high ground.

Reflexively trying to lump more guilt on suicidally depressed people just because it makes you feel better is at once the most weak, petty, and pathetic action while also just pissing in the face of people who are already at rock bottom.

it's not about reflexively pissing on anything, it's accepted practice to make sufferers feel aware and responsible for the negative consequences of their potential suicide as a step to aiding meta-cognitive solutions. the goal is helping some people become more externally focused, to help them be less self-reflective and isolated, more connected and ultimately less depressed. companion animals, for example.

besides, suicide is illegal, bro

you wouldn't kill yourself a car

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

A Stupid Baby posted:

They are dead, they don't give a gently caress.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
OP are you actually Irish or did you just take your name from some dumb thing

if the former then why did they commit you just for being suicidal? I thought things aren't supposed to be considered symptomatic of illness if they are a cultural norm.

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style

MiracleWhale posted:

have you tried taking lsd mdma?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
i just got let out of a mental institution and boy are my arms tired

Good News Everyone
Apr 30, 2009
I am glad you are still with us, OP. You sound like good people.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
OP, do you firmly belIeve that if life has taught you anything it's that we're all a little bit crazy?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
OP two questions when I was on drugs one time I could not help but see the connections of everything onto everything else and it made me really upset. Also everytime i would think about doing something I would review all the terrible things that could happen ( ie driving my car i kept seeing myself getting in an accident ) was this like being crazy am i going to be crazy? thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I've done outpatient stints on a regular hospital's psych ward before. It was a nice, structured respite from reality and it helped me to hit that "bottom" so that I had motivation to improve myself and learn the skills I needed not to go back.

My favorite experience was the woman who looked at me one day in the common area and said "Many people believe that God talks to them, and Oprah is God, and she talks to me." She was pretty cool.

• Locked thread