Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

it's nice to hear a positive experience with a mental institution, and most importantly you're on the upswing. I liked how you said the hour to hour stuff was really helping. I'm working on my masters for social work while working at the VA hospital in research. i've recruited some guys from the inpatient unit and sometimes you can just sense the hopelessness in air, especially when you recognize people who have been in and out of the mental inpatient unit.

i did a project about the history of mental institutions in the US, we've come a far way but sometimes it feels like its two steps forward and one step backwards (or you're regan and you just throw the baby out with the bathwater). I think a big issue I see is how limited or stingy outpatient treatment can be to save money (8-weeks of some evidence based treatment, or detoxing guys who've been using substances as self-medication before giving them better coping skills). so people get better in outpatient for a little, then long-term relapse or spiral into crisis again and end up hospitalized again. did other patients or the staff talk about this kinda "revolving-door" phenomenon? I've also been learning a lot about Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT). did you get exposed or see any of it going on?

again, glad to read you're doing better for yourself and the support you're getting. best wishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Was it at all nice in that for five days, your entire life was about your mental health and outside of that, you had no responsibilities you could attend to? As in, your whole world was that mental institution and nothing outside had an affect on you? Or was it just miserable?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

whats the deal with electro shock therapy? is it like a defibrulator but instead of ur heart its supposed to zap ur brain into having the correct...like patterns or whatever?

David Foster Wallace liked it.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

whats the deal with electro shock therapy? is it like a defibrulator but instead of ur heart its supposed to zap ur brain into having the correct...like patterns or whatever?

ehh.. something like that. it has some kind of rebooting effect on the brain at least temporarily. I didn't know that they did it dozens of times though......

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i thought zapping sad people was outlawed for being inhumane a long time ago

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

OP congrats on doing better and stuff.

maybe posting on an internet forum where the phrase "kill youreself" can be word-filtered to "hello sir" and nobody would notice isnt the best way to continue your recovery

hello sir

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

i am dramatically more emotionally stable but nope still got the depression. had a nasty bout of anxiety today and will have a lot of journaling to do tonight. but now i actually notice when i'm depressed, unlike before where i would only notice the rare occasions where i felt somewhat normal.

Do you find yourself posting/tweeting about feminism and indie games more or less since getting help?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

symbolic posted:

congratulations on finally moving out of your parents' house

OP works from home XD

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

On behalf of everyone you know, thanks for not doing the thing. I had two very good friends go that way in the space of a couple years and it hosed everyone up terribly. I've become a drunk and the first guy's little sister is on her way to prison for a number of heroin/stealing money for more heroin related charges, leaving their dad just wondering what he did wrong for the rest of his life. I know how clean and easy it can seem but man oh man it makes quite a mess for everyone you've ever loved. Thank you for doing the right thing

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Cowboy Pope posted:

On behalf of everyone you know, thanks for not doing the thing. I had two very good friends go that way in the space of a couple years and it hosed everyone up terribly. I've become a drunk and the first guy's little sister is on her way to prison for a number of heroin/stealing money for more heroin related charges, leaving their dad just wondering what he did wrong for the rest of his life. I know how clean and easy it can seem but man oh man it makes quite a mess for everyone you've ever loved. Thank you for doing the right thing

speaking as someone who also had immediate family kill them self, let me second this. I can be a bit...bitter when talking about suicide as a result.

like how they are selfish cowards too concerned with their own pain to see that they just shift it to others :)

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Man Whore posted:

speaking as someone who also had immediate family kill them self, let me second this. I can be a bit...bitter when talking about suicide as a result.

like how they are selfish cowards too concerned with their own pain to see that they just shift it to others :)

I felt that way at lower moments for a while, but as time has gone on I've taken to looking at it like this: everybody does the best they can. If they didn't, they'd be doing better. When it gets to the point where somebody is killing themselves, there's something so profoundly out of whack with normal life and brain function that I can't even hold it against them. I wish it had gone down differently, but those dudes weren't thinking clearly and hadn't had the capacity to do so for quite a while. They didn't set out to hurt us, they just couldn't find a way around it

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Man Whore posted:

let me hook you up with some real fuckin wisdom and maybe your rear end can recognize you shoulda been there for em when they was breathin instead of bitchin after they gone

“The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.”

― David Foster Wallace

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
you incredibly dumb motherfucker that sort of egocentric poo poo. oh why couldn't the person give a gently caress about every useless sack of poo poo around them, could it be that the basic part of their brain that is supposed to ensure a baseline level of wanting to continue the act of living was hosed? Jeez louise why didn't they think about all the oblivious gently caress ups around them as they were consumed by the depths of despair god drat you stupid stupid motherfucker

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
a motherfucker gets out of bed and wants to die and your rear end wants to ask them why they can't live for you what in the everloving gently caress

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Shaquin posted:

let me hook you up with some real fuckin wisdom and maybe your rear end can recognize you shoulda been there for em when they was breathin instead of bitchin after they gone

ahaha I was a baby shithead but okay

if it was an extended thing that would be another story, but their girlfriend broke up with them, they got drunk and killed themselves with the cops gun when they got pulled over for driving drunk, but yeah My mother and their family should have been there for them in the 4 hours this all happened in.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 8, 2016

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shaquin posted:

you incredibly dumb motherfucker that sort of egocentric poo poo. oh why couldn't the person give a gently caress about every useless sack of poo poo around them, could it be that the basic part of their brain that is supposed to ensure a baseline level of wanting to continue the act of living was hosed? Jeez louise why didn't they think about all the oblivious gently caress ups around them as they were consumed by the depths of despair god drat you stupid stupid motherfucker

heavens to betsy

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

so selfish for getting mad when I see my mom crying whenever his name is mentioned 20 years later for a spur of the moment decision. For something which turned both my grandma and my mother into alcoholics

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Man Whore posted:

ahaha I was a baby shithead but okay

Then why the retard stance? Do you not recognize suicidal depression as a medical disorder but instead just a case of the bad feelsies? This is a huge hurdle for people with mental illnesses, is people ascribing rational factors to entirely irrationally minded human beings. You are condemning a person who is in every way as debilitated as someone with a physical illness, and in this case a terminal one, because it makes you feel bad that they were sick. Imagine espousing how people who get cancer are assholes and the kid dying of leukemia just needs to think of his parents harder.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Shaquin posted:

Imagine espousing how people who get cancer are assholes and the kid dying of leukemia just needs to think of his parents harder.

Thats not nearly the same thing but okay

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
there is nothing spur of the moment about suicide. the tendencies are there in one way or another and it is not something you engage in without the precipitating factors and conditions, no matter what the trigger point is. it may not be surprising, but many suicide attempts follow break ups, often within very short spans of time afterwards

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Everyone who commits suicide has been suffering from visible depression for an extended period of time and under no circumstances does anyone make stupid loving selfish decisions in the period of 6 hours.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

WHY WERENT YOU THERE AT THE BAR FOR THEM MOMENTS AFTER THEIR GIRLFRIEND BROKE UP WITH THEM YOU SELFISH loving BASTARD
*cellphones do not exist yet*
*is an infant*

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Shaquin posted:

“The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.”

― David Foster Wallace

This is exactly how it works thank you. According to some accounts I may/may not have physically attacked a dude at a wake for pulling the "selfish" line. I'm ninety five percent sure I didn't touch anyone but stories get told

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
respect i got no idea what your life is and i dont need to, this is a comedy messageboard. but that place is where i live. ive knocked on deaths door twice and come back, and the stigma and attitude from the "surviving" family and friends who deal with that stuff is insufferable. my neighbor bit it a month back by od, someone ive known for ten years with a door ten feet away, and watching everyone do everything in their power to cover up what really happened and control the narrative was disgusting.

cope how ya cope thats whatever, but recognize that bitterness is a two way street.

perhaps the only time this has ever been said in GBS, but I apologize if I triggered you. I guess that's what happened to me.

Shaquin fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 8, 2016

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
why didn't they keep you?

(did someone maek this joke already?)

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Shaquin posted:

perhaps the only time this has ever been said in GBS, but I apologize if I triggered you. I guess that's what happened to me.
no joke, I was literally shaking which is what the internet tells me is what happens when you get triggered.
I did say I was bitter about it. I have actually almost committed suicide twice, the first time I didn't go through with it because I was afraid of the pain and the second never got past the planning stages so maybe I am the coward.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 8, 2016

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice; that only a madman could be guilty of it; and other insipidities of the same kind; or else they make the nonsensical remark that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shaquin posted:

there is nothing spur of the moment about suicide

i strongly disagree

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Enfield posted:

i strongly disagree

You didn't suicide dude.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
*holds BIC lighter under hand*

aaaaa im dyeing.

edit: but for real I am glad you are feeling well, enfield.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
im just saying you shouldnr make blanket staremenrs bc everyone processes this poo poo differently which its why it can be so suprising. i absolutely think you should talk about your personal experiences especually if u find it theraputic. anyway i try not to serious post about this bc i feel like i dont know anything about it. well bye

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Enfield posted:

i strongly disagree

again, respect. divorced from the initial emotional reaction all i can say is that i meant that suicide is usually the punctuation mark to generally deteriorating mental health. the psychotic break that occurs may indeed be intoxicant induced, but is part of a larger pattern that might manifest itself in any number of visible or invisible ways.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think it's ok to be mad when somebody's stupid brain problems make them act like a real loving rear end in a top hat and ruin other people's lives

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I think it is weird to blame a dead person for a living person's choices but I'm not sure how that fits into all this

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

poo poo on dead people all you want imo, what are they going to do? Send you angry texts?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Man Whore posted:

WHY WERENT YOU THERE AT THE BAR FOR THEM MOMENTS AFTER THEIR GIRLFRIEND BROKE UP WITH THEM YOU SELFISH loving BASTARD
*cellphones do not exist yet*
*is an infant*

maybe he was just a huge pussy, and your whole family was brain broken to begin with?
I mean letting a woman drive you to suicide is laffo, but don't pin all y'alls problems on him.

Edit: Yeah, you trying to off yourself twice over a dude that you never knew?
Your whole family is just hosed up. Just be glad he just offed himself instead of taking out some actual functional family from drunk driving.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 8, 2016

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Johnny Aztec posted:

maybe he was just a huge pussy, and your whole family was brain broken to begin with?
I mean letting a woman drive you to suicide is laffo, but don't pin all y'alls problems on him.
If it is his fault I am going to blame him. Being dead don't absolve you of your actions having consequences.

None of my problems are his fault though what with him being gone nearly my entire life.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Edit: Yeah, you trying to off yourself twice over a dude that you never knew?

No, completely unrelated except for the alcoholism. I should probably thank him because seeing how much his suicide hosed poo poo up was good motivation not to go through with it.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Man Whore posted:

If it is his fault I am going to blame him. Being dead don't absolve you of your actions having consequences.

None of my problems are his fault though what with him being gone nearly my entire life.

I'm not a genius, but I'm pretty sure a dead person can't force a living person to drink.

This is starting to sound like a problem for the ghostbusters

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Man Whore posted:

poo poo on dead people all you want imo, what are they going to do? Send you angry texts?

lets wait for the new ghostbusters and see where the chips land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

satanic splash-back posted:

I think it is weird to blame a dead person for a living person's choices but I'm not sure how that fits into all this

I think it's more being upset about the consequences which seems perfectly rational imo and doesn't preclude being compassionate to people who currently post in YOSPOS and may be contemplating

• Locked thread