Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I've played in one of Prof's games and I can attest that Valor is a cool system, if a bit difficult at times to get your head wrapped around, when it comes to building techs that do what you want.There's a -lot- of options, and having that many options invariably means that designing techs can be a bit difficult!

What Prof doesn't tell you in the OP here is that each level-up, you can re-configure any Tech you put points into, swapping out Limits (ways to keep the cost of the Technique down by giving it certain conditions, like "takes X amount of turns to recharge" or "can only be used when you have X amount of Valor"), Modifiers (stuff like say, Ramming Attack, which lets you do extra damage by slamming someone into something, or Blast Radius, aka your standard AoE burst ability, or even Very Special poo poo, like Sapping Strike as a Damage-Over-Time or Piercing Damage to bypass defense), or anything else about the Tech.. So re-configuring your character is in fact pretty easy on the player - even if there's a little more overhead for the GM to track when your plays are constantly evolving there character builds into what they want.

For an example, I play Kazuki - a sort of secondary frontline character in one of Prof's games, emulating small town murder mystery with kids with awakening- ok I'm just gonna say it, it's a Persona game. As I learned the system, Kazuki evolved from a sort of ranged frontliner who was meant to pick off enemies at range while tanking, into a sort of frontline mixed-damage skirmisher with a 'berserk' state, getting stronger at low health. However, I was also roleplaying Kazuki as the 'smart guy' in the group, helping the team push tactical advantages against monsters - which lets me pick up stuff like Feint (a support action that lets you do more damage) and in later seasons, stuff like Battle Analysis and Exploit Weakness, which let you make an opposed roll to give people, including yourself, bonuses to either hit or avoid being hit by enemies. Prof's been pretty chill about me learning the system, which has been a godsend as I hammer out exactly how all of Kazuki's techniquess work.

Basically, if you love designing your own character's abilities from the ground up and working with a system that gives you a boatload of options, Valor is definitely your kind of game.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

As someone who has been playing with Prof I'm putting together an "Unofficial Official Errata List" so that people know what is happening with certain changes. I was also the person who hassled Prof about the Improved Damage Increment changes the most, so you can thank me for that one. :v: (notably, it's getting changed to 4/2 to 4/2 because Ive been rigorously testing it in a campaign Prof's running and its a weeee bit too powerful as-is.)

I haven't finished it yet, but I'll throw it up here when I'm done.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 12, 2017

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Double-Post, but worth it, The Unofficial Changelog of Official Changes is more or less live right now. As far as I know between both Void and Prof, these are the main "balance changes" (with added reasoning) that are going to be making it to an updated errata list as of right now.

Disclaimers abound: This is an unofficial list and obviously not officially endorsed as errata, and this list is obviously not final. Other changes may make their way down the pipe, some changes might get rolled back as testing proves they're less feasible than thought, and this list doesn't take into account minor errata on a various number of things (of which I am told there are numerous), only major balance changes.

For those that don't wanna jump to the doc, the quick list is as follows:

• Rebalancing of Health Limit and Ultimate Health Limit, due to giving way higher value than most.
  • Rebalancing Valor gain in later seasons across the board via changes to Bravado, Inspire, and Unyielding Determination.
  • A small buff to Final Limit
  • Nerfs across the board to the value/cost of the Accuracy/Evasion line
  • An overall buff to Improved Damage Increment (reduced cost, increased effect)
  • Reduced cost to Blazing Might and Fighting Spirit to bring them more in line with Physical and Energy Attacker

If you have any questions/concerns, comments are open and you're free to leave one on the doc.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 12, 2017

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

John Lee posted:

Any chance these changes could be made to a .pdf copy of the book, to avoid having an unofficial reference sheet around?

As I understand it (so take with a huge grain of salt), that's the plan, but since the Kickstarter didn't manage to get where it needed to go the schedule's getting pushed back a bit as the work on VCF takes precedence.

• Locked thread