Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I usually dislike crunchy systems and yet I've had a good amount of fun playing this. It helps that most of the crunch is upfront, so I only have to worry about it when in chargen and during levelup. And when I wrapped my brain around it, it wasn't really that hard, though I still have to look up some stuff when I level up. In play it's decently smooth and not too complicated. Skills and Techniques are pretty fun to play around with, but what really made the system for me was the Valor subsystem. You get Valor every turn and for particularly entertaining RP (such as a hotblooded speech). In practice, it tends to make the middle to late parts of combat more exciting, as people (including the NPC enemies!) begin blowing Valor on Overdrives, making for some sudden reversals in combat. In a recent session, a boss was knocked down to 0 HP, then suddenly went through a transformation, summoned a bunch of minions, and Overdrived for some extra HP, then began kicking our butts even more. A couple other PCs piled in teamwork Overdrives to help my character land the killing blow before the boss got a turn that would have potentially really hurt our KOed teammate.

Plus the challenge meter system is decently versatile and I've seen it used for such things as trying to persuade someone before they lose their patience with us, or for a kendo duel... and that play example Prof linked to has an example of the meter system being used to affect combat, with Psyche and Rejection being separate meters where Psyche affects the penalties or bonuses the PC gets against their own Shadow and Rejection affects the Shadow's defenses. So combat was combined with a social challenge to help the PC overcome their Shadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Behold the Void posted:

It requires you to delay your turn until right before your ally, after which you can act normally.

Thank you for catching Intimidating Transformation I've added that to my Errata list. It gives the Shaken status.

Wait, wait, so you have to delay your entire turn, not just your attack? I kinda did have that suspicion after rereading the Skill. Looks like I've been playing it wrong.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Guts isn't everything. You get more durability by maxing it but sacrifice versatility in attacks. Really, though, I went with Spirit/Guts not because of the mechanics but because it fit my character's personality. You pretty much can pick stats based on flavor without suffering any major disadvantage thanks to the balance of stats.

And, yeah, you can, say, max out Strength and Mind or Spirit if you want a mix of attack types with some added durability. Or just go for Agility and Mind for a more fragile build (but you can make do by focusing on ranged attacks and staying behind more tanky party members). Not to mention that you can't max out three stats, but you can keep leveling three stats, so just bump up Guts as a secondary stat and you'll have some decent added durability as you level up. It isn't the end of the world if you don't max out Guts.

EDIT: Mind/Spirit is actually an effective build. Fragile, but crazy amounts of stamina.

EDIT EDIT: Strength/Guts has crazy amounts of HP and Defense, but suffers at ranged attacks and has low Resistance thus taking more damage from Energy attacks.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 24, 2016

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Doresh posted:

Now we just need a guide about building ineffective characters. What's a good name for the opposite of "min-max"?

Spread out your stats evenly. Don't favor any one. Get a bunch of one TP techniques. Pick action skills and don't use them at all.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I've got a few questions about Refresh. What happens if you use it to refresh a multi-effect Boost or Weaken? Do all the effects get refreshed? What about an effect on multiple targets (from Blast Radius or the like)? Does it refresh it on all the targets, or only one?

• Locked thread