Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Countblanc posted:

So convince me that this game is well balanced. Games with lots of options, especially ones that let you build options, have a history of having wild power imbalances between characters. The game is supposedly "crunchy" (though I don't really know what that means, there's certainly a lot of numbers so I guess there's that) but I'm more concerned with the options I have available being both powerful/exciting and not objectively better than what my friend has on their sheet than I am with just having a lot of choices for the sake of covering every possible niche.

In addition to the above, I'm in two campaigns and in one I run a mixed-talent damage sponge and in the other I run... "Rock Lee with a sentry turret" is probably not inaccurate, although the sentry turret is new and untested and he's also got lower HP than the Rock Lee bit might indicate. The second one's begrudging companions include a corporate-themed back-row blaster whose techniques include literal red tape, a snake oil saleswoman that naturally can't heal herself, and a mercenary with a gun and a lot of bombs.

Eventually I'd like to play a character that employs Portals for extreme trick shots but neither of them are really built for that so who knows when that'll happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Doresh posted:

And a Guts-focused build sounds pretty boss. Once your Valor is high enough, you can use Resolve to defend against anything without penalty. And there's even a skill that lets you attack with Resolve.

Well, it lets you roll Resolve to hit. The actual damage still needs to be based on something else.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Doresh posted:

What does adding Limits to a Mimic Core do, seeing how it's basically just a slot to put other Techniques into?

I'd probably say they apply to the original Mimic Core but not the mimicked technique.

I had a strange thought myself about how the Push or Pull limits could work on a Rush Attack with Reposition - since you're moving through the target as you attack them, they can't be moved closer to you since you're in the same space for that instant, so Pull would just hold them in place; any direction is farther away for the same reason, so Push doesn't actually limit it at all.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Doresh posted:

I'm just a bit confused with Mimic because Mimic doesn't actually have any Stamina cost or Action associated with it. You just immediately go for the Technique you've mimiced.

Maybe a Pull Rush could have you drag the target behind you XD ?

Well, that just makes it a weird Ramming Attack.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

TheArchimage posted:

I think if there was a Persona game recruiting on the forum it would immediately sell about twenty Valor books. The last Persona game I'm aware of that recruited here saw something on the order of forty apps.

This could actually be right, since the reason each of the writers are running one is that there were too many interested players for one game but just enough for two.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

TheArchimage posted:

On a side note I was planning to run an encounter where the boss' head detaches from their neck and floats around the room (an Attack Node); it then changes shape into the heads of the PCs to Mimic their techniques. Refraction Limit (attack can't be used directly, has to be channeled through a Refraction Point) is mechanically a perfect fit for this but it's limited to Season 2, and we're still in Season 1. If I adapt Refraction Limit to work with Attack Nodes instead, is that going to cause a really obvious problem I'm not seeing?

It would work fine - Refraction Point itself is an S2 skill if I remember correctly. NPCs and especially NPC Masters and Elites can freely ignore season restrictions (like the invisible goblin fan club a boss of a campaign I'm in had).

That said you may consider tweaking the Stamina cost reduction for making that change...

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

S.J. posted:

Are there templates for building monsters at all? Doesn't need to be an editable PDF, but was wondering if there was something similar to a character sheet to fill out for bad guys I want to make.

You can basically just use a regular character sheet for enemies, too (just remember the math is different on some types).

• Locked thread