Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016
Hello everyone, I'm the other writer of Valor/CEO of Valorous Games, so I'm happy to answer questions on business decisions and direction, as much as I am able!

LeSquide posted:

So, this looks neat, but I saw comments about the . Pdf having copy/paste disabled. Is that true?

Also, to add to my question in the F & F thread, why is the pdf&print combo so pricey?

Copy/paste is currently disabled due to advise from our Legal Counsel, but we're open to removing it. I've a number of things to discuss with him since I'm working on our first errata push and I'll put this on the top of my list.

Regarding the PDF/Print combo, the pricing was actually based on our initial setup, our infrastructure wasn't especially robust so there was cost and time associated with sending out a PDF. We've managed to correct these issues as we've begun getting Valor in with distribution services, so this price will very likely drop quite soon. For now, you can get the combo with no additional charge above the book over at Indie Press Revolution.

NutritiousSnack posted:

I decided to take a chance and pick it up, because of the pitch in F&F and in this thread.

Have done nothing but a prelim skim over the rules and layout of the book few thoughts.

- Why isn't this bookmarked? Like seriously, it always confuses me whenever a rpg PDF isn't bookmarked in this day and age.

- For an indiepress game the layout and presentation of the book is legitimately great. I can't say anything other than reading rules and the way techniques work, I have more than a general idea of how it works and that through play I'll actually nail it down. The best you can hope for. I'm sure I'll find nit picky problems and areas you can improve, but it's better than 90% of the market in this area alone. The art isn't DnD good, but it looks very nice and sets the tone of what this game is/does. Way, way better than a lot of competition especially at the "level" you guys are operating on.

- Techniques looks like this game bread and butter, and it looks like an artisan bakery that has an insanely long line at 4am right now. Kudos. I think the skills section could stand to be beefed up to provide more tactical options, especially at a $25 dollar price tag but it's far from parred down. There's plenty of depth here and unlike a lot of crunchy games that aren't DnD4e or Exalted 3rd edition, the pool looks like something I'd actually want to dive into.

I'm going to say this is worth the price of entry and so far looks like a great game (though man is it pricey for an indie rpg), especially with the books you've planned on the horizon to expand/broaden the core concept (mecha rules) and add smart depth to the game. I want to start a campaign using this game already, looks perfect for JRPG or shonen battle antics.

The lack of bookmark is due to our intent to get the PDF out as soon as we were able after the Kickstarter, we're hoping to add that functionality when we do the first errata push hopefully soon (we have a major convention we're gearing up for and are also doing dev work for Valorous Foes so we're spread somewhat thin at the moment).

Regarding the overall price, our intent is to offer a product that can eventually move beyond the "Indie" space, we're all working very hard to build a brand and content to make this a fully realized and supported roleplaying system. It's very heartening that you like our presentation and core system, we were actually using among other things the D&D books as a point of reference to how our book needs to look and feel and how deeply our system should be developed. Sounds like you feel you got your money's worth, which is definitely our intent. Our pricing structure is generally modeled after smaller studios with equitable production values, with splatbooks being similarly priced but likely slightly cheaper as they're optional books and not required to play the game.

Covok posted:

Can you pull of the fusion dance with this system? Not a deal breaker, if not: it can be a very hard thing to pull off.

Not yet, but I would suggest as a quick and dirty ruling to have the players doing the Fusion dance work together to create a character sheet for a Master character combining some of their general traits. Fusion Dance is definitely on our radar for Tools of the Trade, it's a very iconic thing that we want to capture but didn't want to delay release to try to figure out how to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

LeSquide posted:

Thanks for the answers! Being able to copy out rules blurbs for my own use (usually into google docs for planning/statblock writing purposes) is pretty important for me when it comes to .pdf products. If that gets resolved, I think I'll pick up the print/.pdf bundle.
I'm really happy to hear about the combo at IPR; are you planning to sell through brick and mortar stores? If so, I really encourage you guys to consider Bits and Mortar. It really makes the proposition of buying games through the local store (and the local store actively wanting to support RPGs) more attractive.

Bits and Mortar is definitely something we'll look into, thanks for the suggestion! We are working on building our distribution network and customer base with the hope of getting into local game stores, focusing on the Pacific Northwest with more personal attention since we live out here. IPR is part of that, and partnering with Bits and Mortar would help a lot as well since they work with stores that IPR works with so there's definite synergy there.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Covok posted:

Perfect! I love fillable character sheets.

I'm thinking of doing a weird DBZ (I suppose it's more apprioate to say Dragonball Super, in this case) game where everyone is a Sayian from Universe 6, the universe were sayians grew to become protectors of the universe. It's good to know those rules work them.

What lead to you guys making this game?

Also, I strongly reccomend against brick and mortar stores. I don't feel people buy books from brick and mortar in general as much anymore and it requires physical inventory, which has its own added costs.

Regarding the brick and mortar, we're actually holding a reasonable amount of physical inventory that I'd love to move into stores. We're still working on our distribution network but getting into stores is a goal of ours, even having the books on the shelf in regions outside our own is valuable and I know many people who are still interested in a single copy alone (I admit I'm a bit old school myself, most of the work I've been doing on Valorous Foes, which is currently about 25% complete, has been done with my own copy of the book spread open). We take a lot of pride in the quality of our physical hardcover, it's in my admittedly extremely biased opinion a simply gorgeous book and a lot of fun to flip through. Getting stores on board with our game and getting our game on their shelves is very important to us.

Also to add to Prof's point, on a personal note I've always dreamed of making a career in a creative industry. I would love to someday make Valor my full time career, it's a work of passion that's taken around a third of my entire life to complete and I still love it, I still play it, I'm still unbearably proud of it. I want to make it great and I want to reach the point where I can devote my working time to making it even better.

Covok posted:

If anyone is interested, I got a recruit up for that Dragonball game I mentioned.

Well, I'm glad it worked out for you then. I have to imagine the Valorous Foes book must be pretty fun to write considering it is making a bunch of crazy villains and character.

Edit: Also, I bookmarked my copy of the pdf, if you want some help getting it bookmarked.

It's been a lot of fun thus far! Something we're introducing with Valorous Foes which will continue into Tools of the Trade is more flavor-intensive skills, flaws, and techniques. We're trying a few new things, keywords for behaviors and tactics to help encourage the GM to do more than just have foes jump out at the party and fight them to the death, and interesting and flavorful builds that keep to some of our core balance tenets (no instakill, no extra action) while still being interesting and engaging. I've enjoyed a lot of the Foes I've already made, some of them are really neat. And some are just awful, like the Goblin Flunky whose entire build purpose is devoted to turning invisible and shanking you.

Behold the Void fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 17, 2016

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Covok posted:

Hopefully, it's just because they chose not use usps and not due to an issuse with our orders.

Also, yeah, the pdf is more than a bit unoptimized. It can take a while to load.

Your package should be on its way, I can check in with USPS and see what's going on.

As to the PDF, it was originally optimized for our print edition so there may be some conversion issues. When we get the errata run out I'll see if we can smooth some of the PDF performance.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Eopia posted:

That seems fair, I've been jumping around in the book a lot and knew you couldn't use it for the Damage Core, but I was thinking more along the lines of using it for Boost or Healing. One question on the Barrier core, it says to select Aura or Intuition for its attribute unlike others which list the primary attributes, that would mean the technique gets the bonuses/penalties of it being Spirit or Mind based, right?

Guts has a bit of benefit from having neutral value for all things, so range of 3, line of 3, things like that. It doesn't suffer some of the penalties on range that Strength does, for example, so you can still do Boosts, Weakens, and Healing with a pretty decent value, it just won't be outstripping the spellcaster-geared attributes.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

ProfessorProf posted:

It's a bit time-consuming before you get used to it - I can put one together in 5 minutes, but it takes some system mastery before that happens. We're working on a monster manual right now to make that easier.

This is also why we release regular adventures on our site, it's meant to serve as a bridge until we are able to release Valorous Foes since we do recognize it can be time consuming for new players to the system. We'll also be giving out advance copies of Valorous Foes for testing to Kickstarter backers at the very least since we want to get it into people's hands as soon as possible.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Doresh posted:

Aaah, now it makes sense. A miss is still a miss, but there's a tradeoff.

I'd probably go with the houserule as it doesn't change too much in the grand scheme of things. Then again, the imagine of someone like roided-out Muten-Roshi getting hurt by a puny attack because he flexed his muscles too hard is hilarious.

That's something we strove for for all of the defensive abilities, each one is intended to feel a bit different and unique to its own method - flubbing a Dexterity dodge means you take extra damage because you accidentally ran into the attack instead of away from it, Aura consumes Stamina as you create a shield to block the attack, Intuition temporarily drops your Initiative as you carefully avoid the attack, and Resolve just lets you facetank something if you're valorous enough.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Eopia posted:

So I'm unsure about how Combination Attack actually works. Does it let you take the rest of your turn after making said combination attack after your allies turn resolves? Can you delay your turn after having used your Support and Move actions but not your attack, or is using it basically making a Slow action attack that resolves on your allies turn?

Also, the Intimidating Transformation modifier seems to lack any rules for what happens if you win the opposed roll?

It requires you to delay your turn until right before your ally, after which you can act normally.

Thank you for catching Intimidating Transformation I've added that to my Errata list. It gives the Shaken status.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

unseenlibrarian posted:

Reading through it now, and I think my first houserule would be to add a mounted limit for techniques; the Companion limit doesn't quite make sense, since companions disappear while being ridden, technically, and you could use it for your knight on horseback with lance /dragon knight on dragon back with dragon lance /plains villager with the true fire rune on griffin-back, etc.

I know it's a weird and specific rule, but it seemed like a weird omission with all the mount stuff already present in the companion rules.

That particular limit is actually planned for Tools of the Trade, as well as several other limits to expand the Companion skillset more. Mount is indeed intended for the Knight-style character, I think current testing for the limit puts it at a 3 ST reduction.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Wait, wait, so you have to delay your entire turn, not just your attack? I kinda did have that suspicion after rereading the Skill. Looks like I've been playing it wrong.

I'll tighten up the text with the errata to make it clear. Essentially you're just waiting until an ally attacks and attacking together.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Tsilkani posted:

Can't wait til my book gets here. Already signed up for a DBZ PbP here and I have a feeling some of my roleplaying group will want to use it for the same purpose.

Sucks not having a good tracking number.

Did you just order your book yesterday? If so we should be able to get tracking to you tomorrow. Feel free to email our store account and we can work it out.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Tsilkani posted:

No, I grabbed it from IPR on the 17th.

Ahh. Can't help you with that one then, sorry!

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Zarick posted:

This system seems really cool, though I doubt I'll ever get a chance to play it. I'm also seconding Countblanc's concerns regarding whether it's balanced, however. Point buy systems (especially ones with flaws and transformations) make me nervous.

The fact that we're a point/level hybrid actually gave us a major advantage in balance, the numbers all function within a set band that we can predict for. Beyond that it was creating a balanced system of skills and techniques with the point economy. Certainly you can optimize characters to a degree but the variation in play is not enormous - everyone can expect to have the capability to meaningfully contribute in any situation no matter how they have ultimately specialized their character. In my experience, you don't have OP characters, you have OP teams who are great at working together and chaining combos.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Ferrinus posted:

Seems like there's some obvious gimme Flaws here, like penalties to one of the dozen or so listed non-combat actions, penalties to physical attacks if you're making an energy attacker or vice versa, etc. Also you buy challenge bonuses out of the same pool of points you buy combat bonuses with...?

In the GM section we emphasize that they need to step up and take the final say. We're not big fans of the "I can do this by RAW" argument or "It's in the book so I can use it", we want to provide a toolkit for prospective GMs to use as they see fit. Sure there are flaws that are a pretty easy no-risk thing to take, but they're also only good for very specific builds. Sure you might consider taking Weak Physical Attacker since you are a full caster but most characters actually have a mix in our experience, and we want the GM to feel OK saying "you don't use physical attacks, no." But even if they do let it through, the extra points still won't unbalance your character too badly, so that's within acceptable balance parameters.

Regarding combat and challenge skills drawing from the same pool, that is definitely intentional since that entire pool is meant for customization with a number of passives and unique abilities. All characters will still have their base challenge ability by virtue of their core stat-line and will have their Techniques to see them through in combat, skills let you pick what you want to emphasize and in what ways.

Eopia posted:

Well, GMs are supposed to veto flaws that won't actually have any effect in play rather than players being able to take them for free points at least.

We also have a hard cap on the amount of points you can gain from flaw stacking based on your level.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Ferrinus posted:

This is a losing proposition. I can only take Weak Physical Attacker if I also spend some of my TP on a physical attack? I can only take a penalty to Negotiate if I pinky swear to try to negotiate all the time? How many TP? How often?

At the very least, the "bad at [attack form]" should really be in the inflicted-by-powers only category, since you can already be bad at physical attacks by... having low Str/Dex, or taking no physical powers, or taking weak physical powers.

Also, unless I'm missing something, since you can increase three of your five stats each level, but have five different stat-derived defenses, only three of your defenses will scale properly; by the end of the game, your weak defense will be 9 points lower relative to your strong defense than it was at the beginning of the game. Is this on purpose, and you're just supposed to always be substituting strong defenses for weak ones at higher levels?

You should, at the very least, provide an official suggestion as to a default split or some other "siloing" rule, where characters get X combat skill points and Y challenge skill points.

Substituting strong defenses is generally what the system is designed for, yes. Part of the decision of what stats to specialize in is what you can accept in your defensive tradeoffs.

I don't honestly have an official suggestion for siloing because it really just varies on a campaign. We're less about the rigid build and more about what feels right, a common trend in our testing is simply that players will have a laundry list of skills they want and will fill them in as they feel like they need them and that works pretty well. We've run games that were challenge heavy where most people were spending 75% of their SP in Challenge skills, and we've had combat-focused games where people spent 0-10% of their SP on Challenge Skills.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

Zarick posted:

I really like the attacks part of this game, building Techniques and such, and most of the active/reactive Skills are okay. But man are the non-active skills boring. And you can't even really ignore them because most other skills don't work well with Boost effects.

We've gotten some great mileage out of the more Active and Reactive skills with boosts, it just depends on how you want to do it. We've also had a lot of people who prefer the more "boring" skills because they want to make a simpler character who they don't have to think about as much. We're committed to offering options for as many players as we can. That said, expect a lot more interesting skills in Tools of the Trade, which is currently slated for 2017 after Valorous Foes later this year. I have a laundry list of interesting skills that didn't make the core book. What you have right now is what would be considered the "basic" core system, expect plenty of fun goodies in future releases.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

unseenlibrarian posted:

Generally they email you the link within 24 hours because Storenvy's setup for PDF delivery is not the greatest.

Yep! We're hoping to fix the delivery to be more instantaneous in the near future but Storenvy is really not the best platform for this kind of product alas.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

masam posted:

So they've already thown a wrench at me. One player wants to be the ego weapon of another player. is there away to make that work? I've only had this a couple weeks and haven't looked as far ahead as i would like due to a new job.

I've actually been brainstorming some stuff for this for Tools of the Trade! Here's a quick and dirty suggestion for a true PC Ego Weapon:

-Occupy the same space as the character they are attached to
-No Move action but may use their Move action to remove status conditions from the character they are attached to
-When rolling initiative, both the character and the weapon add their initiative rolls together and divide by 2, rounded up. When they act, they both get to take their actions in any order (so two attacks, two supports, 1 move)
-When targeted by a blast or line, both are targeted, when targeted by a single-target such as a melee, ranged, or indirect technique, or an active skill like Feint, the initiator picks who to target - the PC or the weapon
-The Ego Weapon has the ability to Cover the character they are attached to as many times as they want per the skill.
-Any boosts, weakens, and status effects on you or the character you are attached to are shared between you.
-Prone is excepted from this rule, you are immune the character you are attached to is not.
-The character you are attached to can make use of any of the skills you have activated such as Feint and Attack Node
-The character you are attached to can make use of any Technique you possess. Using an Ultimate Technique disables it for the rest of the scene, as it would if you had used it yourself.

I'm currently valuing this around 6 SP, it's a "Trait" skill like undeath or being a construct is which are rules we're introducing in Valorous Foes. You can increase the cost to 8 SP to gain the ability to detach as a Support action and turn into a human, or the ability to be passed between and attune to different PCs (10 SP for both of these). The character is otherwise built as normal.

A potential extra 4 SP skill would be to let you forfeit your Move action to give them 1/2 your Move as a bonus, which can be upgraded in Season 3 with another 2 point skill to give full Move bonus (so you could still choose not to give this to remove, for example, the Immobilized condition with your move action).

Edit: Shoot forgot a few interactions, this should be up to date now.

Behold the Void fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 24, 2016

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

ProfessorProf posted:

I've always run it as the reverse - Skills cost full SP, so Flaws grant full SP. RAW could be interpreted for either way, I guess.

I'll put an errata but they are expected to get full value from Flaws, as are Soldiers.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

demota posted:

Got it. What counts as the end of a combat scene, anyway? I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out if the scene ends after all enemies are down, or after the other PCs put down a berserking PC after all enemies are down.

We've played it both ways, where you have to put them down and where the scene ends and they come back to normal. The intent is to leave it to the GM, but we can clarify that either possibility is available at the discretion of the GM.

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

HidaO-Win posted:

Just got the Valour core book after paying the punitive shipping to Ireland.

Any ideas for how to emulate a character that's primarily a human only shapeshifter, specialises in misdirection and appearing where he shouldn't be?

There are definite combat applications for that power, I'm just wondering if people have any ways to translate it into the crunch.

Cheers for any help.

The optional Illusion skills in the GM Section should be able to cover what you are looking for quite nicely! The disguise ability in particular can be reduced to a cost of 3 SP to primarily apply to a human form with no extra SP cost (which is a specific monster skill I'm developing for Valorous Foes).

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

TheArchimage posted:

I'm thinking about picking this up, but before I drop $60 on the hardcover/pdf combo I really need to know: are there options for a purely support-based character, like a pacifist cleric or a Navigator Persona? One of my players prefers to enable others in combat rather than personally attack in basically every game and system and I want some assurance they'll have something to do.

You should be able to get the combo from IPR for $45, they've got a better infrastructure than our core site and can do it easier although I'm certainly not going to object if you want to buy direct from us.

As to full support builds, I've definitely seen a few that don't have any damage techniques and focus completely on Support actions, I honestly think it's pretty good if you do it right, there's always plenty to do (especially if you grab a Transformation with Extra Actions at level 5 and start dropping 3 things a turn).

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

TheArchimage posted:

Too late, I already bought it from storenvy last night. and I don't know what IPR is.

Although I haven't received my .pdf yet...

Aha, OK. The PDF ships on a card with the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behold the Void
Feb 16, 2016

masam posted:

nifty! thanks prof. Also i've been looking all over the internet and been unable to find them, do you have the stat sheets for your convention characters online somewhere? i saw the pictures and short bios about them but haven't been able to find any actual stats for them. I need some...ready made NPc's and the extreme adventures guys seem pretty good for a rival party depending on where i throw my players

I was hoping to get these up this weekend but I'm not sure I will have time, I will make a point of getting them all up sometime this week.

• Locked thread