Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I decided to change careers later in life. I went back to college and got a degree in engineering. I applied for a great company and managed to make it through a number of assessments which cumulated with an invite to an in-person interview.

There is one snag, on the initial application there was a section for A-Levels or equivalent. I got a well paying job when I was young and decided to stay with that rather than finish school. So when I applied I just put down really average results. They want me to bring a copy of those results.

Should I come clean tell them the situation and that my employment history and recent degree should stand on their own merits. Or double down on the lie and tell them my records have been lost to time. The company is in a whole other country so I'm not sure how effective they would be at catching me out on the lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodsGiftToWomen
Jan 26, 2004
Providing women with sexual pleasure since 1983
Gun Saliva
Keep applying for other jobs and don't lie about your credential next time.

Come clean or photoshop. Flip a coin.

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:
Why did you not just put N/A? Either photoshop and live in constant fear that you'll be found out à la Don Draper, or move on and don't lie next time.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Unless you're the only candidate left, coming clean seems like a sure fire way to not get hired

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

insufficient guns posted:

Why did you not just put N/A? Either photoshop and live in constant fear that you'll be found out à la Don Draper, or move on and don't lie next time.

In a different country where you could get fired at any moment because of this dumb poo poo

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Tell them you accepted another offer and next time you apply for a job, don't loving lie. That is incredibly stupid.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Is it normal for companies wherever you are looking to work to ask adults with university degrees for their secondary-school records?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
It's not particularly common to ask the secondary credentials. I've only noticed one other who did it. I thought it's really weird to be honest.

I would have put N/A but the application had no valid way of doing that. And it was only one tiny part of a much larger application that I didn't expect it to ever be mentioned again.

The thing is if I lie its hardly going to be found out. Getting records that old isn't so easy. And I'm pretty sure privacy laws mean they aren't allowed to try access them.

Or I could just own up on the day and tell them that I feel that decade old secondary results have no bearing on my current education. They only exist to give colleges a means of assessing potential students. And the college assessed me by competency tests and I'm almost graduated with the highest mark so i think it proves that point.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Marenghi posted:

Or I could just own up on the day and tell them that I feel that decade old secondary results have no bearing on my current education. They only exist to give colleges a means of assessing potential students. And the college assessed me by competency tests and I'm almost graduated with the highest mark so i think it proves that point.

It doesn't prove poo poo, you're a liar. Yeah your scores from 10 years probably have no bearing on your competency now, but lying on a resume a few weeks ago is a pretty good indication that you are currently a liar. This is literally your first impression and you hosed it up, cancel the interview if you have any personal integrity left.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah, the HR dipshit who wants to checkbox a form isn't going to care about your well-reasoned, passionate argument about why it was OK for you to put down fraudulent poo poo. She doesn't have a "APPLICANT OBJECTS TO THIS REQUIREMENT ON PRINCIPLE, YOU SEE?" option any more than you had a N/A option when you first filled out the form. She just has a rubber stamp in one hand and a garbage can in the other.

On the plus side, she probably doesn't give a flying gently caress about double-checking elementary school report cards. If the records really are hard to access, then you can probably fudge them and get away with it. That level of scrutiny is pretty rare outside of national intelligence services. Please note that I am not suggesting that you do anything illegal, and that my remarks are strictly in jest in keeping with the humorous tone of this website, as witnessed on this day, etc., digital signature.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
In this age of the inflating education bubble, respectable employees nowadays will care more about how you perform on the interview than your education track record. I have some experience on the hiring side (for engineers like me :)), from what I've seen there's some iffy correlation between resume/screening quality and interview quality, but not much else to go off of. Sometimes the MIT graduate with shiny honors is good, sometimes s/he can't operate a butter knife. Sometimes this engineer from a different discipline with poor grades you think you have a good feeling about turns out to be a waste of time, sometimes just the genius you were looking for.

So it's your pick. You can lie. I don't think that's a big deal. What can they do? Even the cleanest business is basically built to exploit. There's nothing wrong in playing that game, really, as long as you can spin it so that it's a good thing for everyone (if you can't think of how, don't take this route).

You can be honest too and tell yourself you don't want to work for people who would reject you on these grounds. I think both are great choices. It's your call!

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Is it a lie to say you do not have access to the records when they don't exist? Because they honestly dont exist...

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's always a bunch of self-righteous dipshits around to get mad about this kind of thing, but there is literally no moral reason at all not to lie about this, if you think you can get away with it then do it.

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?
I live in the UK and I have never been asked for proof of my secondary and 6th form qualifications during interviews.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Marenghi posted:

It's not particularly common to ask the secondary credentials. I've only noticed one other who did it. I thought it's really weird to be honest.

I would have put N/A but the application had no valid way of doing that. And it was only one tiny part of a much larger application that I didn't expect it to ever be mentioned again.

The thing is if I lie its hardly going to be found out. Getting records that old isn't so easy. And I'm pretty sure privacy laws mean they aren't allowed to try access them.

Sorry, but you (probably) hosed up. Even if they themselves can't get them, I don't see them buying that you can't produce them. Schools in first world countries tend to not just lose records. All it would take is a quick phonecall from you and theoretically you'd be able to get a copy.

You are right that they don't have any bearing on your current education, but their problem isn't going to be their relevance, it's going to be that you lied on your application. Maybe you can get away with it with your "lost to time" excuse, but the chance that someone might go back in check will always be looming over you. Being honest probably won't work either, but there's a chance you can play it off like "oh I made a mistake, I meant to put N/A" or something. Either way I don't see this interview going very well, but of course it depends on the interviewer and how strict they are - I'm sure there are people who let this kind of thing slide as long as your real qualifications are good enough.

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:
You can only get away with a "lost to time" excuse if you are like 60+ years old, nobody's going to believe that for a second.

audacity
Apr 24, 2014
If you want the cynical way to solve this problem, considering some level of that was required to get to this point that's maybe on the table. The fact they're asking you for them and not your school means they're not going to check if those records are real or not. IIRC schools require a fee to obtain records and the tape for getting money from big firms would should out that possibility. No department is going to include that in their budget report. Consider obtaining a copy, scanning it, and photo shop a better copy then duplicate the packaging. Disclaimer: I don't know what the penalty is for this in your area, I suspect you'd be fired at worst. Just make friends with somebody while you're there and you'll still have a good reference. No one is going to check it years down the line. If the firm is Stantec or Kiewit or another huge firm like that it'll just be compared to other applicants and tossed. If you're unwilling to cross this line, just apply for more jobs. There's more out there. For reference I lied about my grades in an engineering interview got the job and it was never brought up again.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

OP, seriously you only have a choice between lying further or giving up the job.

Coming clean will simply not get you hired, period. Don't think that they will somehow understand, you're delusioned that this can have a different outcome.

So choose between those first two because what you're imagining doesn't happen in this world, it's a fantasy.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Show up to the interview in a Lab Coat and tell them that you have to turn down the job because you are a rocket scientist now

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
so google tells me what they're asking for is to see whether or not you're a high school (secondary school) graduate.

of which you say that you are actually not.

how in the gently caress did you get into college? tell them you dont have that documentation but hey here's my college entrance exam scores

dont fake anything dumbass you've already done enough to gently caress your situation up. dont come clean either unless you like the soup line (just dont lie anymore)

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I would lie, it sounds very unlikely that you would be caught, and I wouldn't even feel bad about the lying...

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I'm moving this to BFC because I want to hear not only their thoughts on the initial question but also the responses from the fine folks in E/N.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

As an American this is the equivalent of asking for you high school transcript, right? My god who on earth would care about that, is that really common in the UK? I've never even been asked for college transcripts in any situation, much less high school.

I'd honestly laugh if someone asked for proof of my grades or diplomas at this point, it just seems so quaint. I'm imagining old timey dresses on secretaries in the 50s and how important it is that they get proof of your grades because we only hire respectable people! People really still live in that world in 2016? Do they also expect you to get your shoes shined every morning and to show up for church every week?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Is this outside America? Secondary doesn't usually man high school.... Are they just asking for your college transcript?!?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Pryor on Fire posted:

As an American this is the equivalent of asking for you high school transcript, right? My god who on earth would care about that, is that really common in the UK? I've never even been asked for college transcripts in any situation, much less high school.

I'd honestly laugh if someone asked for proof of my grades or diplomas at this point, it just seems so quaint. I'm imagining old timey dresses on secretaries in the 50s and how important it is that they get proof of your grades because we only hire respectable people! People really still live in that world in 2016? Do they also expect you to get your shoes shined every morning and to show up for church every week?

Correct it's the equivalent of a high school transcript. It is really unusual for someone to ask for it. I wouldn't know if it's common in the UK but I have never been asked for it before.

It's common enough for jobs to require a minimum average grade in your college degree, and I have been asked for proof of that which should be easy to produce as I'm on track for the top degree award.

I guess I can kick the can as even if they existed I wouldn't be able to get a copy of them before the interview.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

On track? So you're in college right now and you think they'll believe that your secondary records were "lost to time"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Trillian posted:

On track? So you're in college right now and you think they'll believe that your secondary records were "lost to time"?

It doesn't matter, I didn't make it past the interview.

I did get an offer but turns out that was sent in error. It's probably good I didn't the job if they are that badly organised.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 7, 2016

• Locked thread