Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
My car exploded. I got a couple of paychecks under my belt. I paid a month's rent, outfitted my kitchen, put food in the cupboards, bought a cheap office chair and folding plastic table, and so on. I gave $500 back to the goon who got me the job, and who let me stay with him when I first got here. I sent $500 to the goon who helped me fix my car. I was thinking that I could start getting a little cushion under me. Then, my car exploded. I get paid this week. I owe more money to both goons, and I owe back rent from the first partial month I was here. I owe my first gas bill, which must have been a loving doozy, because my 1/3rd of 1/2 month's gas is apparently $100, despite it being cold enough in here to make ice cubes on my kitchen counter. Maybe it's time to give up the ghost, and buy an embarrassing $500 hoopty. I don't have high hopes for my car being salvageable, anyway.

I've been in a very lovely place, mentally, ever since I got to Detroit. Those of you who followed the thread noticed my disappearance, I am sure. I have no reason to feel so down. I got off the streets, and I got a good job (although that hasn't been all smooth sailing), and I have some sort of prospects for the first time in a while. This incident is just exactly what I needed. Now, I have a reason to feel lovely. That's what I call a step in the right direction.

I just looked at bus schedules. I can choose from two: one guarantees that I will be late, because it drops me off a twenty-minute walk from work, fifteen minutes before the latest I am allowed to arrive; the other necessitates me leaving two-and-a-half hours before I need to be at work, and also has the twenty-minute snow trek on the other side.

I suppose Uber is another option, at around $15 each way, or a little less, or a lot more, depending on whether I am traveling during surge hours, and whether the cheapest level of Uber is available. So, $30 or so per day, as long as I travel at off-peak hours, and don't tip the driver.

In other news, I cooked some chicken breasts several days ago. I was just eating one cold out of the fridge (I don't have a microwave), and after popping a few bites down my gullet, I looked down and realized it was red on the inside. I don't know how that happened. The others were all cooked through. We may have another food poisoning episode on the horizon. Stay tuned!

In summary: I should have bought the Mercedes.

It's too bad that the first time something worth posting about happened, it had to be something bad. I promise to also post a thread if I win the Powerball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
Can you bring a bike on the bus? I did that for years when I was in a similar situation. And yes, I read about the snow. I live in Canada and ride my bike in the snow.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
What's going on here? Is this a doobie thread? Did GBS sponsor another deadbeat?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Is there anyone at your workplace who lives near you that you could carpool with? Or even offer like $20 a week if it's a little out of their way?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just buy a shitbox cobalt or don't and just ignore any advice given to you like in the last thread.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
You seemed way happier in the library.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
exactly how did it explode?

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007
How do you post when you're dead?

That sucks about the car, but it's good to hear you're alive and sounding a little bit more positive about things. How bad is the commute by bus to home after work? Might be worth it to uber in the morning and bus back home to save a few bucks until you get a new car. I'm sure you've already thought of this but I felt compelled to offer you some good old-fashioned pointless goon advice.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
glad youre alive i guess tho right?

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Supreme Allah posted:

Acres of Quakers fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 16, 2016

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
The car you have is always the cheapest. Ride the bus for a while (yeah it's gonna suck, tough poo poo) and use the money you save on Uber to fix your car. Even a full transmission swap is probably like $2500. Taking uber to work if you're poor is absolutely retarded. Almost as retarded as getting a used Mercedes.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

OctoberBlues posted:

Is there anyone at your workplace who lives near you that you could carpool with? Or even offer like $20 a week if it's a little out of their way?
Yeah, see if you can get a ride with someone. Sorry about your car and fingers crossed that you don't poo poo blood again. :ohdear:

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Eat any exotic meats recently?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Hey OP, eat a dick, or don't

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

satanic splash-back posted:

Hey OP, eat a dick, or don't

Eat an exotic dick op

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It's normal to feel like poo poo when you start a new job in a bad city but it's still a step up so whatever.

Cars are cheaper in Detroit anyway.

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

Nubile Hillock posted:

The car you have is always the cheapest. Ride the bus for a while (yeah it's gonna suck, tough poo poo) and use the money you save on Uber to fix your car. Even a full transmission swap is probably like $2500. Taking uber to work if you're poor is absolutely retarded. Almost as retarded as getting a used Mercedes.

He's got a decent paying job now, and spending $15 instead of $2(bus fare) as a temporary solution to get to work and save 2 and half hours of commute is probably worth it. Yeah, if he's not replacing his car anytime soon it's retarded, but for a couple weeks it's probably worth it.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
haha the look on daigos first.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Isn't your car a GM car? I feel like Detroit aught to be the best place to find a deal on getting that repaired.

Good luck goon.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

just become a librarian idiot. the answer is right under your nose

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

are you the one that had to finger the sock monkey while an old mans boner was pressing into his rear end?

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

You can meet girls on the bus! And no laws about singing on a bus

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
you should probably consider becoming a librarian. like jerry said. it makes sense. stop being such a needy bitch all the time.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
That's interesting and all, but more importantly: how are your cats?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Melmac posted:

i forgot to tell you. this guy is a liar.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
what happen to the cats

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Melmac posted:

Good post av combo

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
vehicles are a stupid investment and only retards get them. i drive a tacoma that the bank owns and wish i never got it; really cuts into my alcohol budget.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
op im sorry that you've had to deal with difficult circumstances and i'm glad things are getting better for you but maybe

dad gay. so what posted:

stop being such a needy bitch all the time.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i think this guy was actually lying the whole time guys. fyi.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Centripetal Horse posted:

In other news, I cooked some chicken breasts several days ago. I was just eating one cold out of the fridge (I don't have a microwave), and after popping a few bites down my gullet, I looked down and realized it was red on the inside. I don't know how that happened. The others were all cooked through. We may have another food poisoning episode on the horizon. Stay tuned!

what in the hell

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I don't know. I'm pretty sure there are libraries.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

jackyl posted:

what in the hell

hes a lazy liar

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

jackyl posted:

what in the hell

nice av

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ty I think it came from drunk posting in one of your threads. I don't remember exactly tho

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

lollllllll

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ya its pretty fuckin tite in here. lets go check out some other threads. just you and me. whattaya say?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

dad gay. so what posted:

hes a lazy liar

he did talk about blowing $1100 on repaying people and covering his share of the utilities, so he is establishing credibility there

the he goes into the improbable list of bad things that happens

yes I can see this making money from goons but maybe gbs wasn't the best place to post it

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
we gotta go. NOW. CLEAR!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

OctoberBlues posted:

I don't think anyone I work with lives close to me. If they do, I don't know about it.

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Just buy a shitbox cobalt or don't and just ignore any advice given to you like in the last thread.

That didn't happen.

Supreme Allah posted:

"Happy" is not the right word. I guess I felt a little less lovely. That doesn't make sense, though. It's becoming increasingly obvious that I am mentally ill.

Microwaves Mom posted:

exactly how did it explode?

With a whimper, not with a bang. I was at a light, I started to smell something that smelled like hot metal, or a burning clutch. I was surrounded by cars, and the light had just changed. I didn't immediately realize it was my car making the smell. I hit the gas, the engine revved, I moved not one single inch, things smelled even worse, and I saw smoke. I shut it down and got out of the car. I lifted the hood as angry motorists went around me, glaring all the while, and was greeted by smoke and stench. Beneath the car, a large puddle of liquid was spreading. I dipped my finger, but I didn't get much, and it was too dark to see. I opted not to taste the pavement liquid. I guess the "best" case here is, what, transmission fluid?

Lupin posted:

How do you post when you're dead?

That sucks about the car, but it's good to hear you're alive and sounding a little bit more positive about things. How bad is the commute by bus to home after work? Might be worth it to uber in the morning and bus back home to save a few bucks until you get a new car. I'm sure you've already thought of this but I felt compelled to offer you some good old-fashioned pointless goon advice.

It looks like somewhere in the 70-90 minute range each way, with three buses both directions. I think those numbers might be optimistic.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

glad youre alive i guess tho right?

Meh.

Nubile Hillock posted:

I am not really poor, any more, I'm just playing a bit of catch-up.

Secks Cauldron posted:

Yeah, see if you can get a ride with someone. Sorry about your car and fingers crossed that you don't poo poo blood again. :ohdear:

I also hope I do not poo poo blood, again.

Sheep-Goats posted:

It's normal to feel like poo poo when you start a new job in a bad city but it's still a step up so whatever.

Cars are cheaper in Detroit anyway.

Yeah. I think the feeling like poo poo should have worn off by now. Whatever. Are cars cheaper, here? I haven't looked, yet.

Lupin posted:

He's got a decent paying job now, and spending $15 instead of $2(bus fare) as a temporary solution to get to work and save 2 and half hours of commute is probably worth it. Yeah, if he's not replacing his car anytime soon it's retarded, but for a couple weeks it's probably worth it.

Depending on what's wrong, it could be a while. Someone mentioned a transmission swap being "only" $2,500, but that's like twice what the car is worth if it's running.

TheReverend posted:

Isn't your car a GM car? I feel like Detroit aught to be the best place to find a deal on getting that repaired.

Good luck goon.

It is a GM car, but it is one of the GM cars that GM doesn't make, anymore. It's already been towed to a shop, who I hope to hear from by tomorrow.

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

just become a librarian idiot. the answer is right under your nose

I've moved past libraries, into drafty second-floor apartments in ancient buildings.

a hole-y ghost posted:

are you the one that had to finger the sock monkey while an old mans boner was pressing into his rear end?

Not that I recall.

donkey salami posted:

You can meet girls on the bus! And no laws about singing on a bus

Bus girls? Right. Like I have a shot with women of that caliber.

logical phalluses posted:

what happen to the cats

They are still in Salt Lake City. I exchanged emails with their foster parents, recently. This little setback is not helping the cat return mission, but I still plan to get them back.

jackyl posted:

he did talk about blowing $1100 on repaying people and covering his share of the utilities, so he is establishing credibility there

the he goes into the improbable list of bad things that happens

yes I can see this making money from goons but maybe gbs wasn't the best place to post it

Goons already sent me money. That's how I got to where the job was. I don't want any more money. I didn't even want the money they sent the first time. With some help, I realized I needed it, whether I wanted it or not. This thread is just to share my pain for the amusement of anyone who wanders in, and to let the participants from my first thread know that I am still alive.

• Locked thread