Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
:siren:TRADE DEADLINE IS 3:00 EASTERN FEBRUARY 18TH:siren:

Completed Trades:
Van Gundy Doing Work
  • Detroit Pistons get Tobias Harris
  • Orlando Magic getBrandon Jennings and Ersan Ilyasova
Not official but NBA.com is reporting it so close enough
  • Charlotte Hornets get Courtney Lee
  • Memphis Grizzlies get PJ Hairston and Chris Anderson
  • Miami Heat get Brian Roberts

_____

Well, the trade deadline looked a lot more bleek last year and it ended up being awesome, so maybe this year will be great too! Probably not. But there are some decent rumors out there. All the same, I think we'll probably see some role players move, but no stars. Anyway, here are some of the people most being talked about :

Jeff Teague

Jeff Teague is pretty good, but someone the Hawks can live without (at least that's what they think) so it makes sense that they'd move him since he has value. Rumors are they don't want players, but picks, and that's probably not gonna happen this year, though, ATL.
Rumored Destinations: Miami Heat, Utah Jazz, Orlando Magic, Knicks, Timberwolves, Pacers

Kevin Love

It's hard to know what's really going on here. Garbage rumor writers seem convinced that Lebron wants Love out, but LeBron himself pretty strongly denies. Regardless, it doesn't seem like GMs are getting hung up on when th ey call for Love anymore.
Rumored Destinations: Sacramento Kings, Boston Celtics, New York Knicks

Dwight Howard

I'm not exactly sure why Dwight's on the trading block other than maybe an attempt to sell high but it's February and he's rumored to be dealt per usual.
Rumored Destinations: New Orleans Pelicans, Miami Heat, Cleveland Cavs

DeMarcus Cousins

The Kings should not even entertain any trade talk for Cousins, but poo poo is so messy there I wouldn't be surprised if he moves after all. At least some of the ownership group wants him out for some dumb loving reason.
Rumored Destinations: Boston Celtics, Clippers

Jimmy Butler

The Bulls would be idiotic to trade Butler, but he insulted management so his name's started to go around. His injury probably killed this, though FE: Found this while reading Butler stuff, lol: http://www.inquisitr.com/2761634/shocking-nba-rumor-is-jimmy-butler-the-illegitimate-son-of-michael-jordan/
Rumored Destinations: Orlando, Atlanta

Blake Griffin

This seems preposterous to me, but the rumors aren't dying and a lot of Clippers fans seem on board, too. The reasoning is that the Clippers have a great record in the regular season with Griffin out. Hmm, yeah, good luck with that once the playoffs start.
Rumored Destinations: Cleveland Cavs, Denver Nuggets , Boston Celtics

Carmelo Anthony

There's some thought that GM Lebron is pushing really hard to move Love for Melo. And the emergence of Porzingis has made the idea of the Knicks moving Melo at least a little more realistic. Melo has a no-trade, clause, though and has notoriously put the desire to be in New York ahead of winning several times already, so I'm not thinking this is too likely.
Rumored Destinations: Miami Heat, Cleveland Cavs, Clippers

Rick fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WHO SAYS NO

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Well now nothing is gonna happen cause ya jinxed it

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Nah, we just need to hit a critical mass of people saying nothing's gonna happen before something happens

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Glumslinger posted:

Well now nothing is gonna happen cause ya jinxed it

I don't think I could've possibly drove home how unlikely a move is this year, hahah.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think the Knicks make a trade for a guard that is better than Jose Calderon

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

who says no season approachin'

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Good pics OP

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
one day soon rick, you're going to have to start photoshopping kobe in :argh:

e: dwight is on the trading block because (pick one)

- harden doesn't like him (based on rumormongering basically)
- dan fegan
- this year's a writeoff for the rockets anyway and he looks to be rapidly declining

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

chunkles posted:

one day soon rick, you're going to have to start photoshopping kobe in :argh:

Believe me, I'm almost already there.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Great work OP but I really don't think the Lakers will trade Kobe during his farewell tour

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Who can the Sixers trade for more second round picks?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick I always appreciate the hell out of your trade deadline threads.

In trade deadline "news," you are going to see Rubio's name thrown around (like always) and in the end it's not going to lead to anything (like always) because nobody actually understands that you don't have to score 20 points a game to be a really good player, but GMs do understand it which is why they keep trying to trade for him in hopes that the Timberwolves forget for some reason.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 16, 2016

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Spurs should pick up Rubio for McCallum and Butler or some such scrap nonsense.

Fix his shot and hello heir to Tony Parker.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Couldn't even get pictures of Melo and Howard on their current teams, smdh

How much longer until the actual deadline, anyway?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

https://twitter.com/MaxRappaport/status/699334847379152897

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Just listened to the Simmons trade deadline podcast, and it's so bad, it's veering into funny territory. Two middle-aged dudes spouting bullshit like, "I don't know if I would trade for Blake Griffin". OK!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Awesome thread Rick, during Kobe's farewell tour I legit think this is what I'll miss the most when he's gone.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Al Horford to Toronto Masai plz.

Markieff Morris and Thad Young also acceptable.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
A washing machine for singler tia

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Not that anyone else really cares, but Portland could save like $5m by taking on enough salary to get them above the salary floor.

If they don't get above the salary floor, Paul Allen will have to pay everyone on the roster the difference. But if they trade for someone like David Lee, Portland only has to pay Lee for the remaining 30 games.

So Portland has an incentive to involve themselves this trade deadline.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

IcePhoenix posted:

In trade deadline "news," you are going to see Rubio's name thrown around (like always) and in the end it's not going to lead to anything (like always) because nobody actually understands that you don't have to score 20 points a game to be a really good player, but GMs do understand it which is why they keep trying to trade for him in hopes that the Timberwolves forget for some reason.

Let's dispel with this fiction that Rubio does not know how to be valuable to a basketball team. Rubio knows exactly how to provide value on the court.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Not that anyone else really cares, but Portland could save like $5m by taking on enough salary to get them above the salary floor.

If they don't get above the salary floor, Paul Allen will have to pay everyone on the roster the difference. But if they trade for someone like David Lee, Portland only has to pay Lee for the remaining 30 games.

So Portland has an incentive to involve themselves this trade deadline.

Management would probably like this, but wouldn't this piss off the young players who were gonna get that extra money?

See: I have a sneaking suspuscion the 76ers roster hates Javale Mcgee because the Sixers paying off his bought out contract is the only thing keeping them above the salary floor.
e: They're also paying off the last year of Gerald Wallace's salary? Holy gently caress.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
As a Hawks fan I am v nervous and don't know what I want to happen. But if we can get Blake then do whatever we gotta do.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can AD guard 4's? I know he is p. quick, but haven't paid much attention to him. Could he work with Dwight? Horford in Toronto would be sweet though, but what would it be? PPat, Delon Wright, Terrence Ross and a 1st rd pick?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

ButtWolf posted:

Can AD guard 4's? I know he is p. quick, but haven't paid much attention to him. Could he work with Dwight? Horford in Toronto would be sweet though, but what would it be? PPat, Delon Wright, Terrence Ross and a 1st rd pick?

NO already spent a ton of money on Asik, so Dwight doesn't make much sense.

Toronto might be interested in Horford, but that's a risky trade when he's a unrestricted FA this summer.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

The Big Jesus posted:

As a Hawks fan I am v nervous and don't know what I want to happen. But if we can get Blake then do whatever we gotta do.

Yeah I'm slightly confused as to why it appears two out of their three best players are on the market while they're a playoff team. The fanbase wouldn't probably not be happy with them being blown up, but it seems like they're kinda moving in that direction? Or are they only considering offers than send a superstar back? Who knows. Toronto sure as poo poo can't send a superstar back so maybe we're out of the running, but we have two 2016 first round picks, one of which is an unprotected lottery pick so uh that's some pretty good leverage.

As for Toronto/Horford, I'm in favour of throwing the bank at him because it gives the team the firepower for a run against Cleveland plus some added talent if we can't resign Derozan. I'd like to think that we'd be able to resign one of them. Also, 'rumour' is that Horford really likes the extra fifth year that the incumbent team can offer him. However, it's hard to imagine the team being able to pay both of them next fall so uh gently caress. If we could convince them both to take 20 mill each maybe it could happen, but even then that might go over the cap and who knows if MLSE is willing to do that.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 16, 2016

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Excellent read

Realistically- is there any chance that the Knicks can move Calderon right now? What team would actually want him? I have no illusions about the rest of this season (lol playoffs) but if I can watch the next 30 games with some more competent PG play on both ends of the court that would be great.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

NO already spent a ton of money on Asik, so Dwight doesn't make much sense.

Toronto might be interested in Horford, but that's a risky trade when he's a unrestricted FA this summer.

Unless Horford hates Toronto, that team would be a great fit for him. I think the risk there is pretty small.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Excellent read

Realistically- is there any chance that the Knicks can move Calderon right now? What team would actually want him? I have no illusions about the rest of this season (lol playoffs) but if I can watch the next 30 games with some more competent PG play on both ends of the court that would be great.

Not unless they gave up an asset or two with em, and they're not trading any picks unless they're dumb and ahaha holy gently caress Calderon still costs 7 mill? Good loving luck.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

bill simmons really needs to start doing just a little bit of research...none of the trades that he mentions make any sense

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

attackmole posted:

Yeah I'm slightly confused as to why it appears two out of their three best players are on the market while they're a playoff team. The fanbase wouldn't probably not be happy with them being blown up, but it seems like they're kinda moving in that direction? Or are they only considering offers than send a superstar back? Who knows. Toronto sure as poo poo can't send a superstar back so maybe we're out of the running, but we have two 2016 first round picks, one of which is an unprotected lottery pick so uh that's some pretty good leverage.

As for Toronto/Horford, I'm in favour of throwing the bank at him because it gives the team the firepower for a run against Cleveland plus some added talent if we can't resign Derozan. I'd like to think that we'd be able to resign one of them. Also, 'rumour' is that Horford really likes the extra fifth year that the incumbent team can offer him. However, it's hard to imagine the team being able to pay both of them next fall so uh gently caress. If we could convince them both to take 20 mill each maybe it could happen, but even then that might go over the cap and who knows if MLSE is willing to do that.

Why would they want Horford? They already have Valanciunas who is arguably better than Horford. They need a PF more than anything

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

tumor looking batty posted:

Why would they want Horford? They already have Valanciunas who is arguably better than Horford. They need a PF more than anything

Horford can absolutely play PF and might be better in that position..

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Horford is arguably more of a power forward than a center, and just lol at Valanciunus being better than Horford. Horford's a way better defender and spreads the floor better.

Any ways, getting into Bill Simmons territory here but my theoretical Raptors for Horford package is Patterson + James Johnson + Delon Wright + our 2016 first rounder and the NY 2016 first rounder.
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zjfanvy

Patterson's gotta be involved in any trade, you'd need at least one guy for salary filler, then I'd assume for people to not laugh you out the door you need to give away at least one rookie asset. I think Bruno and Lucas are staying, so that leaves Wright (and we got our point guard rotation locked down for next year any ways). Then the NY pick is the centerpiece of the deal and I'm assuming we'd need one more pick to sweeten the deal. We've already got rookie talent that's basically shoved off to the d-league to develop since our rotation is pretty set so I'm not sure that we'd be doing too much with our pick this year so I'm all right giving it away (famous last words).

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
e: double post

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Hassan Whiteside the selfish giant was discussed in a 1 for 1 swap for Dwight Howard. His contract means that the acquiring team has no real reason to acquire him, unless the trade removes roster pieces they didn't want anyway. Chris Bosh's blood clots make this less of a possibility.

Taj Gibson There have been discussions of a 1 for 1 Gibson for Patches Patterson swap

Evan Fournier The most likely of Orlando's wings to be moved. A creative scorer and good shooter who'd fill a need for several contenders. Orlando seems keen on Vucevic, Oladipo's value has dropped, and Tobias Harris probably won't be moved unless a superstar is sent around and there's need for massive salary to balance some scales.

Brandon Jennings The man who was the 2nd best pg in the NBA for 2 weeks is recovering from his achilles tear. His contract expires this year and his open market value is unknown. If the Pistons consider him too expensive for a backup, he could be traded in hopes of at least some return.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 16, 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

attackmole posted:

Chris Mannix said that they aren't seriously considering trades, they're just fishing for "godfather" offers. "Godfather" is a quote.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Dejan Bimble posted:

Taj Gibson There have been discussions of a 1 for 1 Gibson for Patches Patterson swap

There has? I'd be down for that. Or maybe not. I'm skeptical of losing Patrick for someone without range.

Basically I'm just hopeful that TO makes some upgrade at PF and Horford is my pipe dream, but I'll take any number of consolation prizes that might provide more long term stability as well. I've convinced myself that this is a good year to go all out though so I'm hoping for some action.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Thanks for the tip-in, Dejan!

IcePhoenix posted:

Thank you!

I did see a couple mentions of Rubio but it was like "FIVE PLACES BULLS SHOULD DUMP DERRICK ROSE" style articles. But yeah I expect reporters to bring him up for clicks in the next couple of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I don't think Rubio is untouchable, but holy poo poo does he make the Wolves so much better. Having him and Wiggins will be tough unless Wiggin's shot starts falling (his form is pretty good, so I have some hope), but I don't think the Wolves are going to be itching to dump him.

Rubio's shot is busted, but his PER is flirting with 20 and by RPM he is the 5th best PG in the league (somewhat inflated by how incomplete the Wolves are otherwise). For a guy making 12 million a year and only 25 he is a very, very nice asset.

• Locked thread