Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
This show itself is entertaining to me and I enjoy watching it, I just hate all the characters except for crushed throat/dreams guy and wish this was a one off special series so it could just be about all these lovely, unsympathetic people falling lower and getting crushed harder than the one guy I do like.

Dead Snoopy posted:

I do have to say that the bit in the pilot where Dice Clay comes 'back to life' to attack Richie was startlingly hilarious.

Dice Clay's scenes were probably my favorite thing in the pilot but it was also a huge drawback for me cuz now everytime Bobby Carnavale has a screaming/talking loud n excited line of dialogue it sounds like he's doing a Dice Clay impression to me, which might not have got stuck in my head to begin with if Dice wasn't in the pilot episode.

Vanderdeath posted:

They're going to have to do something with that because 1520 Sedgwick Avenue is credited as being the birthplace of Hip-Hop and rap and that young DJ was likely DJ Kool Herc, who started tinkering with break beats in fall of 1973. I have a feeling that's what Little Jimmy Little's arc is going to be about.

It was Kool Herc, there was a line in the latest episode where Lil Jimmy referred to him by name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I remember The Boardwalk Empire thread was slow, especially for the early seasons, but there were at least posts during and after the episodes aired, are there that many less people watching Vinyl, or has this site, and subforum in particular, just slowed down a lot?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I quite like the show but sometimes I wish that Canniavale would be a bit more subtle instead of angry cokehead, I also don't think that the murder plot adds anything at all to the show.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I think it's interesting that Richie Finnestra is apparently part black but admonished Devon with a slightly racist tone about her wanting to get down with Hannibal. Anyways, this show is quickly becoming one of my favorites and I'm really digging it.

savinhill posted:

It was Kool Herc, there was a line in the latest episode where Lil Jimmy referred to him by name.

I'm glad they might be going into the early days of hip-hop because it's a realm that isn't seen often in media. It's typically post Sugar Hill Gang/Grandmaster Flash/Treacherous Three-era stories that get the attention and never the nascent hip-hop period between '73 and '79.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Great episode. I want a WizardFist t-shirt if it features a dragon and a beer.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 15, 2016

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
Bobby Caranvale was horrible in Boardwalk and made me fall asleep during a lot of his episodes. He's not a lot of fun here. I really, really, really hope they pull the trigger and have him kill himself. Do what Mad Men kept making you think they were doing. Get rid of loud voice and just boring to watch Bobby Caramel.

I'd rather watch a whole show about the whole Andy Warhol scene mixed with the Hip Hop scene as everything else has been tremendously boring. I may end up just backing off and coming back when the season is finished mainly so I can know if the thing is worth my time.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm wondering where Clark's arc could possibly go other than killing himself. He's like Pete Campbell from Mad Men except instead of having a creepy yet compelling persistence, he just gets more and more pathetic at every possible turn. Literally every moment of his screentime is about him loving up and being utterly unlikeable and worthless.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Martman posted:

I'm wondering where Clark's arc could possibly go other than killing himself. He's like Pete Campbell from Mad Men except instead of having a creepy yet compelling persistence, he just gets more and more pathetic at every possible turn. Literally every moment of his screentime is about him loving up and being utterly unlikeable and worthless.

He's clearly comic relief and barely registers on the unlikeability scale for me on this show in which just about every other character is an exaggeratedly entitled, self-obsessed, egotistical rear end in a top hat without any redeeming qualities.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

savinhill posted:

He's clearly comic relief and barely registers on the unlikeability scale for me on this show in which just about every other character is an exaggeratedly entitled, self-obsessed, egotistical rear end in a top hat without any redeeming qualities.

He should start up a band and become the show's version of Jonathan Richman.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Ritchie is aggressively unlikable. We are supposed to find him compelling because he is bored with sobriety and thinks he can make a buck off of punk and rap? At least Tony Soprano ate dinner with his kids once and a while. Everyone on this show is a nasty 70's fraud but the show never crystallizes this into a theme. I thought Bobby Canavale's acting was subpar and the editing was a mess in the first two episodes but while those improved the writing took a nosedive in ep 5. The only evidence of Martin Scorsese's influence is clumsy plagiarism of his style.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
So... I'm wrong for enjoying it?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Finndo posted:

So... I'm wrong for enjoying it?

How can an opinion be wrong?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Dmitri-9 posted:

Ritchie is aggressively unlikable. We are supposed to find him compelling because he is bored with sobriety and thinks he can make a buck off of punk and rap? At least Tony Soprano ate dinner with his kids once and a while. Everyone on this show is a nasty 70's fraud but the show never crystallizes this into a theme. I thought Bobby Canavale's acting was subpar and the editing was a mess in the first two episodes but while those improved the writing took a nosedive in ep 5. The only evidence of Martin Scorsese's influence is clumsy plagiarism of his style.
Not unexpected for a Scorcese production to have an unlikeable anti-hero lead but I do agree, coked-up accessory-to-murder Richie does not seem to have any redeeming qualities at all. It would be better if we saw more of Zach (Ray Romano), he seems more reasonable and friendly.
As for subpar acting the singer in the Nasty Bits is terrible, like Ian Rubbish level of parody.
https://vimeo.com/64226881

Also there are 2 women in the show (a third with the latest ep), and both of them are subservient eye candy to the men. Where the hell is Patti Smith in all this?

And yeah, if Richie thinks signing a random NYC punk rock band is going to turn his company's fortunes around, he's in deep $$$ trouble.
All that said, I am enjoying the show for the music, fashion, and doppelgangers.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 16, 2016

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Binary Logic posted:

All that said, I am enjoying the show for the music, fashion, and doppelgangers.

Same; also agree with the goon who said the murder subplot is completely unnecessary. I especially cringe every time they show us a quick flashback of the murder at least once in every episode like we forgot or didn't see the first episode. It kinda insults my intelligence a bit!

But overall I find this show to be somewhere between total background viewing and paying rapt attention on the edge of my seat - decent. I love period dramas and this one seems to be doing a decent job with attention to detail re: music, bands, fashion, pop culture references, etc

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Binary Logic posted:

Not unexpected for a Scorcese production to have an unlikeable anti-hero lead but I do agree, coked-up accessory-to-murder Richie does not seem to have any redeeming qualities at all. It would be better if we saw more of Zach (Ray Romano), he seems more reasonable and friendly.
As for subpar acting the singer in the Nasty Bits is terrible, like Ian Rubbish level of parody.

Also there are 2 women in the show (a third with the latest ep), and both of them are subservient eye candy to the men. Where the hell is Patti Smith in all this?

And yeah, if Richie thinks signing a random NYC punk rock band is going to turn his company's fortunes around, he's in deep $$$ trouble.

The leader of the Nasty Bits is Mick Jagger's son and Mick Jagger is an EP on the show, so I think that solves that mystery. He's easily the worst actor on the show by a large margin.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Who is this random guy with the Austrian accent

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Who is this random guy with the Austrian accent

A Tyler Durden from the past, what a surprise! Given how telegraphed it was from SCENE loving ONE I honestly expected a better reveal at the end - pretty much that the guy had actually been there!

I'm enjoying this show but man, that was an obnoxious narrative device for a really obvious plot. It didn't help that this week Richie had no charisma to balance his coked-up assholery.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 21, 2016

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Umm so has Olivia Wilde done a nude scene before? Asking for a friend.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 21, 2016

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Cacator posted:

Alpha Dog (2006)

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Cacator posted:

The movie Third Person - which is really not worth watching, especially with the scene on the internet.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

JethroMcB posted:

A Tyler Durden from the past, what a surprise! Given how telegraphed it was from SCENE loving ONE I honestly expected a better reveal at the end - pretty much that the guy had actually been there!

I'm enjoying this show but man, that was an obnoxious narrative device for a really obvious plot. It didn't help that this week Richie had no charisma to balance his coked-up assholery.

I kept thinking "wow, this german dude always seems to be hanging around whenever Richie is alone, nobody else ever interacts with him and he's always encouraging him to do coke. Is he some sort of manifestation of Richie's imagination? No, because he was an actual character before. Is this a different devil-may-care german guy or something?"

I wasn't exactly proud of my deductive skills at the reveal, more like annoyed. Like you said, at that point it would have been a better reveal to show that he actually WAS corporeal.

Though I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy this episode to a certain degree. Bobby Canivale sure knows how to play coked up rear end in a top hat, and he seriously must have destroyed just about every facet of his life in this one. Plus we got that sweet Bowie appearance, which I have to say I thought they did really well. The only musical number I didn't enjoy was the guy on the piano that Ray Romano was so impressed by near the end. The vocal style was way out of place for the 70's and reminded me of most female pop stars who do the national anthem; that style of singing that just screams 'trying way too hard.'

Why were they holding auditions for a new guitarist for The Nasty Bits? I know they shitcanned Duck in the last episode, but I thought the whole point was that Richie wanted them to be a four piece.

fake edit: that reminds me, Mad Men had a guy named Duck get shitcanned, too. There are so many similarities between these two shows (but unfortunately I think Mad Men was a lot better)

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
It would be better if they would just focus on Ray Romano and that new woman who is supposed to fix poo poo.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

timp posted:

Why were they holding auditions for a new guitarist for The Nasty Bits? I know they shitcanned Duck in the last episode, but I thought the whole point was that Richie wanted them to be a four piece.

I think they fired TWO guys in the Nasty Bits. One who was terrible, and one who was Duck and "lazy". But then again, they're all "terrible" according to Jules, but going to be the stars of the new sub label because.... cocaine.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
So were they upset that too many people were watching this show? Because that was loving awful.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

Loved the 70s merkin she was wearing, funnest part of the episode.

Lord Tywin posted:

It would be better if they would just focus on Ray Romano and that new woman who is supposed to fix poo poo.
Yes I hope so. Although for a record exec he sounded like an awkward teenage fangirl when meeting Bowie.

The massive cokehead on a bender is too cliche and Richie's got no redeeming values. Even if the Nasty Bits become a successful punk rock band in the show, it won't vindicate his actions towards the staff at the label.

timp posted:

The scene in the guitar store made it even more obvious that Kip plays rhythm guitar, and the band needs someone better as lead guitarist (to replace Duck). That was the first scene with him that I liked because Kip seems like a poser while the long-haired guy came off as an actual NYC punk.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ktik posted:

I think they fired TWO guys in the Nasty Bits. One who was terrible, and one who was Duck and "lazy". But then again, they're all "terrible" according to Jules, but going to be the stars of the new sub label because.... cocaine.

One of the most annoying things about this show besides the characters is the whole starting point central conflict of Finestra backing out of selling his big major label because he wanted to do the sub-label to "make real Rock Music again, man". Like why the gently caress couldn't he just start a new small label for his vanity ego-stroking project with the "cash-in of a lifetime's work" money he would've made with the sale. It doesn't seem like any of his existing, already locked in artists are a part of his new vision, and that the day-to-day running of the big label is just holding him back from being able to actually focus on making his creative ambitions a reality, both from a financial and time-consuming/priorities standpoint. Plus, he severely damaged a lot of his industry credibility and goodwill that could've helped him immensely with trying to get new poo poo rolling. How the gently caress did this dude become such a bigshot, hot poo poo mover and shaker in the music industry anyway, it'd be nice to maybe see something about that in a flashback instead of another "look how cool the New York scene was then" backdrop for the lovely main couple's early relationship developments.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah I hope we hear exasperated Finestra say, "How do those fuckers at Sire Records do it? They keep finding great new acts like Dead Boys, Ramones, Blondie, the Pretenders, and all I've got is the fuckin' Nasty Chunks or whatever."

hint: Stein and Gottehrer were not coked-out douchebags.

Lord Tywin posted:

This could be a better show if those two handle Alibi Records and then buy it out because American needs cash, and it continues circling the toilet bowl then Finestra is locked up on murder charges LOL. And the show becomes about Alibi, with Zac and the new woman running things.

edit again: Maybe in this universe Finestra's going to sign the Talking Heads to the new label, and Psycho Killer was/is/will be written about him. :derp:

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 22, 2016

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

This would not be my usual cup of tea since I don't really care about music, or New York City. My coworker insisted I check it out and I have to admit it is pretty good. That shot of Ray Romano looking all defeated and then hearing the house band dude playing Life on Mars was beautiful. Also, knowing that Ernst probably wasn't really there the whole time didn't really lessen the impact of seeing why he wasn't still there. Yeah similar stuff has been done recently on another big show, but again, it was executed very well so I don't mind.

E: Don't get the hate for James Jagger. I have no trouble believing that young dude who only cares about fighting, loving, and playing guitar would be boring as poo poo when he isn't doing one of those things.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 25, 2016

fat fronk
Feb 12, 2016

Binary Logic posted:

I think the new Andy lady that Ritchie is desperate to recruit is intended to be the strong female lead that takes no poo poo from all the male bigots and is a smart business woman. They definitely elude to that at the beginning when she refuses the position unless she gets a serious claim in the company.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

fat fronk posted:

I think the new Andy lady that Ritchie is desperate to recruit is intended to be the strong female lead that takes no poo poo from all the male bigots and is a smart business woman. They definitely elude to that at the beginning when she refuses the position unless she gets a serious claim in the company.

Allude to it? They do everything but play the Maude theme song whenever she appears on screen.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

E: Don't get the hate for James Jagger. I have no trouble believing that young dude who only cares about fighting, loving, and playing guitar would be boring as poo poo when he isn't doing one of those things.

I had no issue with him until they let the camera slip down once or twice during the guitar-theft scene to show how he runs.

eiretsim
Mar 26, 2016
Well this show is definitely a mixed bag so far. Overall I like it, but it's got so many problems. None of the characters are very interesting, though I don't hate Richie like many seem to -- I just find his arc too monotonous and repetitive. Olivia Wilde is almost totally wasted in the typical Nagging Wife role, just Cliche City. I wish they made use of Max Casella more -- he was great in the first couple episodes but I feel like he disappeared after that.

I like Terence Winter's overall sensibility -- I haven't watched Boardwalk yet, but Wolf of Wall Street was great and he was probably the best writer on The Sopranos besides David Chase himself. He has a distinct sense of humor that's pretty great, and a big part of why I'm enjoying this show still. I even thought last week's episode was pretty good, despite the silliness of the Ernst gimmick. I liked that character a lot and was dismayed that he's probably not going to appear much if at all in the future.

I guess the main problem, though, is that this is a perfect example of a show that just doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. It veers back and forth between various plotlines, various styles and themes and ideas, never sticking to one in particular. Is it about Richie's descent into cocaine and personal demons? Is it about the music industry in the 70s? Is it just a kind of aimless tour of early-mid 70s rock music with great production design? There's no real unifying story or focus here. Every episode changes the focus, and the result is a mess -- but not a good kind of "messy" as in The Sopranos which would have episodes that took total detours into some self-contained story, but always returned to the overarching theme or focus of the season/series. Vinyl just hasn't found its voice yet, or even its subject. Being about rock n roll isn't specific enough -- how about a Mad Men-ish workplace drama-comedy like the one that it seemed for much of the first two episodes and episode four? But the other hours have veered in different directions, ignoring much of this. Just a strange show, albeit one I'll keep watching. Cannavale is quite good and though Richie needs better writing he's still impressive in the part.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Weembles posted:

Allude to it? They do everything but play the Maude theme song whenever she appears on screen.

lol, who knows, it aired around the same time period, maybe they will play it on a TV set in the background

eiretsim posted:

. I wish they made use of Max Casella more -- he was great in the first couple episodes but I feel like he disappeared after that.

Oh yeah, Julie's the best and I would so love to see more of him each episode. Agree that the Wolf of Wall Street tone sets this show the best, everyone and everything is just so over the top ridiculous on this show, especially the main character who is getting the most serious dramatic moments, just being consistent with that WOWS vibe would make Vinyl so, so much better, and Julie would be perfect getting the same sidekick screentime/bigger role as Jonah Hill if they would just commit to it.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Also on the topic of Jagger Junior, anyone else struck by the resemblance to Richard Hell?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/c8/99/70/c89970c2841cbd9fc8255b5d642e29aa.jpg

http://assets.rollingstone.com/asse...88-vinyl002.jpg

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

The Nagging Wife is such a cliche that it's hard to see past even when the wife in question has a good goddamn point--at least.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Holy poo poo. lol

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

This show sucks rear end

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Haha, I haven't watched this last episode yet, but "holy poo poo lol" and "this show sucks rear end" make me think I'm in for something on the level of an "it was all a dream" reveal or something.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Martman posted:

Haha, I haven't watched this last episode yet, but "holy poo poo lol" and "this show sucks rear end" make me think I'm in for something on the level of an "it was all a dream" reveal or something.

Nothing that egregious. I feel like one of the few people that likes this flawed show though.

I think it's because watching Cannavale playing a lovely, drugged out loser that's spectacularly exploding and ruining several lives is just entertaining enough to keep me involved. That and the fact that I love 1970s music and fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I've been a fan of Cannavale for years, but 'Vinyl' is shaping up as the very worst attempt at a new flagship drama HBO's had in a long time. It actually made start to watch 'Billions' instead, which is conversely the best actual prestige drama Showtime has had since I can remember.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 28, 2016

• Locked thread