Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Last two episodes have been pretty good, I'm glad it got renewed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

savinhill posted:

That was what the producers believed to be a 70's era accurate Merkin, but much like a lot of other things they believe, it wasn't even close to authentic.

I thought it was deliberately exaggerated for comedic effect.

Good episode but not enough music! It was great that Zack realized what happened to the $100,000 in Vegas, although I thought he'd be madder. Will probably lead to Richie feeling guilty and finding or getting money that Zack can dump on his new pet project, Xavier. With an X.

Just hope that Scorsese's influence doesn't turn Season 2 into being heavily into the mob connection, for me that is not a compelling storyline. If we're in 1973 now and next season is 1974 there could be lot of fun - disco got popular, Emerson Lake and Palmer were huge - and the Ramones started playing at CBGBs.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Binary Logic posted:

doo doo doo doo SA TVIV Headline Compilerbot interrupting this thread with breaking news:
Blessing in disguise for Winter despite the purposed "creative differences", this is his biggest cable drama misfire by a landslide in a relatively distinguished career. The ejector seat is merciful for him

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

savinhill posted:

That was what the producers believed to be a 70's era accurate Merkin, but much like a lot of other things they believe, it wasn't even close to authentic.

It was glorious!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I like how happy everyone was that their new label was launched by a singer who had OD'ed on heroin and had to be revived by the CEO injecting him with cocaine. Yay!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

I like how happy everyone was that their new label was launched by a singer who had OD'ed on heroin and had to be revived by the CEO injecting him with cocaine. Yay!

The whole finale was so retarded, it was like they decided to parody their whole first season of the show with this latest episode

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Binary Logic posted:

Well Zak and the other, ill defined partner with the blonde moustache didn't seem thrilled by it, and Richie seemed hurt by their cool reaction. "Guys, I started a sublabel for our floundering real label, with a band we can't even promote on the radio! We gotta spraypaint cusses on the walls like a buncha middle schoolers to celebrate this momentous, huge victory!"

What a lovely, stupid show. I hope the first thing the new showrunner does is eliminate the entire stupid murder/mob storyline. Second thing would be to get Richie out of the show, but I'm guessing Canavale's contract won't allow that.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

Well Zak and the other, ill defined partner with the blonde moustache didn't seem thrilled by it, and Richie seemed hurt by their cool reaction. "Guys, I started a sublabel for our floundering real label, with a band we can't even promote on the radio! We gotta spraypaint cusses on the walls like a buncha middle schoolers to celebrate this momentous, huge victory!"

It's like something that would've been in Spinal Tap, except here we're supposed to buy it as a serious, dramatic moment instead of the completely ridiculous silliness it really is.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

OK, so I've watched like 2 episodes and this show is almost unbearable. I usually give shows three episodes, but is it worth it?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

OK, so I've watched like 2 episodes and this show is almost unbearable. I usually give shows three episodes, but is it worth it?

If you didn't like the first two episodes, then don't bother. The things that are most likely unbearable about it for you just ramp up and get more annoying.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nope. I regret watching the entire season. I liked Cannavale fine in Boardwalk Empire but in this he's just too much, having also watched Billions recently the difference between the protagonists is immense. In billions the two main characters are also massive rear end in a top hat but they're interesting,have some good sides and are played by good actors while Richie is just an uninteresting cokehead rear end in a top hat. It's a shame a show this poo poo is on HBO but after True Detective season 2 it's hardly surprising.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 19, 2016

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

'Billions' is really good. Aty first it starts like "why should I care about any of this", much like 'Vinyl', but then the characters and dialogue quickly coalesce into something engaging and interesting, unlike 'Vinyl'.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah this show is bad, I love music and the era in general but it's not enough to keep me interested. I don't see the point of the show and the "nasty bits" are a pretty awful band with zero commercial appeal. I just don't get what the show is even trying to do other than just cosplay the seventies.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just caught up with the show, it's pretty mediocre and I'm surprised it got a second season.

My favorite character was introduced late in the season: the :downs:-cop who just wants to understand groupies and the sex that rockstars enjoy :3:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

To be honest, at times I found myself thinking of it as HBO does Halt and Catch Fire

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

I just caught up with the show, it's pretty mediocre and I'm surprised it got a second season.

My favorite character was introduced late in the season: the :downs:-cop who just wants to understand groupies and the sex that rockstars enjoy :3:

Pretty sure it always had a 2-season order and they just announced 'renewed for a 2nd season' for publicity.

Professor Shark posted:

To be honest, at times I found myself thinking of it as HBO does Halt and Catch Fire
For me it seems to be like Goodfellas or The Sopranos Of 70s Music. And when focused on music it's fun but the tone of the series is off. Unfortunately all the murder and mob plots detract and distract from the music storylines.
And while The Nasty Bits are (I think) supposed to represent the pre-punk style of maybe Eddie and The Hot Rods, it would have been more interesting to have a weirder more original band, along the lines of Television or Talking Heads, as the featured act. But maybe that will be coming in Season 2.

But I don't see how a new showrunner will help since he's going to have to answer to the same team of producers that created the series.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 24, 2016

Ralphis
Aug 2, 2011
I must be watching a different show or be some filthy casual tv watcher because I loved the whole season

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Yeah I really liked it too. But yeah I could do without any more mob stuff.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I actually sort of liked the mob stuff, I just didn't want it in my music show.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
It's all over now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdb_3H-28dE

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
That article said the second season was supposed to be a reboot, anyone know anything about this?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It was gonna be the same thing, but take place in an ad agency in the 1960s.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

savinhill posted:

That article said the second season was supposed to be a reboot, anyone know anything about this?

I think they just meant in terms of Scott Burns replacing Terence Winter as the showrunner and other changes on the production side of things, not in terms of actual content. They probably would've also had to spend a boatload on marketing to revitalize interest.

Anyhow, this is good news, I'm glad it's dead.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

JethroMcB posted:

I think they just meant in terms of Scott Burns replacing Terence Winter as the showrunner and other changes on the production side of things, not in terms of actual content. They probably would've also had to spend a boatload on marketing to revitalize interest.

Anyhow, this is good news, I'm glad it's dead.

Me too, actually laughed when I heard the news. Though it could have been so much better with a few tweaks, it didn't seem like the tweaks they were making were going to make the show better...more like worse.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The most disappointing part of that article was finding out Lewis and Clark had also been cancelled. I have a friend who worked on it for months :(

Anyway, hopefully HBO can do the right thing and give Bobby Cannavale and Kirk Acevedo, who is on the soon-to-be-cancelled 12 Monkeys, a cop show together.

Edit: Oh drat, I didn't realize that HBO was producing a mini series based on Kubrick screenplay Napoleon with Cary Fukunaga as director, I want to watch that :stare:

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 23, 2016

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Really? Because there aren't enough cop shows on tv?!

The biggest disappointment for me is that we're not going to get another 70s (or any era) rock music centered show for a long long time.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 23, 2016

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Okay thread, everyone write your own ending for the show, go!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The Alibi Records launch party rages into the night, with middle aged shitheap Richie Finnestra leading the charge to spraypaint all the biggest cusses on the walls. In time, the guests fall away to continue their own parties at proto-CBGB's or Max's Kansas City or any number of other namedropped venues. The White Mailroom Kid who is busy appropriating Black dance music to single-handedly create Disco winds up hanging out with an acquaintance at a CBS Radio building in Midtown when he says "This would make a great nightclub venue...'The STUDIO on 54th'..." and he looks directly into the camera.

Juno Temple goes home with John Nastybits and watches him overdose for a second time in 24 hours. He dies. She realizes maybe this world isn't so glamorous and goes back to her ill-defined aristocratic family to live a life of luxury.

Richie keeps his own party going in his office, doing fat rails of coke well into the night. He decides to celebrate sunrise with a line that runs the length of the receptionist desk. He takes it down and shouts out some Nasty Bits lyrics before grabbing his chest and falling down dead from a massive coronary. Zak and the Partner With the Moustache come in a few hours later to find RIchie dead in the lobby. They hug, crying, and Zak says "Finally, we're free." Richie's wife is more than happy to turn control of the company over to the other partners; she will sell as soon as it is profitable or they can find a buyer. They set about undoing all the damage Richie caused. Alibi Records is immediately shuttered, and the Nasty Bits' stock is destroyed. The records that did make it to retail distribution find no audience, are promptly moved to the discount bin and are ultimately forgotten. The album does gain some mythical cachet through the years, going on to become a collector's item decades later, but only as a curiosity for vinyl completionists. Music blogs pick up on its cult status and review it only to savage the actual music - Pitchfork's review ends with "A lot of Change the loving Channel's legendary story has to do with the fact that the lead singer died on the day of the album's release. A typical rock and roll sob story, but if this is all that he had to offer I'm glad he's dead."

American Century's remaining execs manage to turn the label around, relying heavily on compilations and rereleases. They're not artistic pioneers, but they do run a solid business. A few years later Polygram comes around again and offers them another deal. This time, without Richie around to sink the whole thing, the sale goes through and everybody gets paid handsomely.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

The Alibi Records launch party rages into the night, with middle aged shitheap Richie Finnestra leading the charge to spraypaint all the biggest cusses on the walls. In time, the guests fall away to continue their own parties at proto-CBGB's or Max's Kansas City or any number of other namedropped venues. The White Mailroom Kid who is busy appropriating Black dance music to single-handedly create Disco winds up hanging out with an acquaintance at a CBS Radio building in Midtown when he says "This would make a great nightclub venue...'The STUDIO on 54th'..." and he looks directly into the camera.

Juno Temple goes home with John Nastybits and watches him overdose for a second time in 24 hours. He dies. She realizes maybe this world isn't so glamorous and goes back to her ill-defined aristocratic family to live a life of luxury.

Richie keeps his own party going in his office, doing fat rails of coke well into the night. He decides to celebrate sunrise with a line that runs the length of the receptionist desk. He takes it down and shouts out some Nasty Bits lyrics before grabbing his chest and falling down dead from a massive coronary. Zak and the Partner With the Moustache come in a few hours later to find RIchie dead in the lobby. They hug, crying, and Zak says "Finally, we're free." Richie's wife is more than happy to turn control of the company over to the other partners; she will sell as soon as it is profitable or they can find a buyer. They set about undoing all the damage Richie caused. Alibi Records is immediately shuttered, and the Nasty Bits' stock is destroyed. The records that did make it to retail distribution find no audience, are promptly moved to the discount bin and are ultimately forgotten. The album does gain some mythical cachet through the years, going on to become a collector's item decades later, but only as a curiosity for vinyl completionists. Music blogs pick up on its cult status and review it only to savage the actual music - Pitchfork's review ends with "A lot of Change the loving Channel's legendary story has to do with the fact that the lead singer died on the day of the album's release. A typical rock and roll sob story, but if this is all that he had to offer I'm glad he's dead."

American Century's remaining execs manage to turn the label around, relying heavily on compilations and rereleases. They're not artistic pioneers, but they do run a solid business. A few years later Polygram comes around again and offers them another deal. This time, without Richie around to sink the whole thing, the sale goes through and everybody gets paid handsomely.

:perfect:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

JethroMcB posted:

I was digging the zinger-filled first half but then it seemed to turn into earnest "happy ending" fanfiction for the homestretch, haha

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Keep the show going, fire everyone but Olivia Wilde and just sit her in front of the camera for 60 minutes.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I was digging the zinger-filled first half but then it seemed to turn into earnest "happy ending" fanfiction for the homestretch, haha

What can I say, there were parts of the show I really liked. If the personal adventures of Richie Finnestra weren't front and center for every episode, the show would've been a perfectly watchable (but yeah, kinda crappy) workplace drama.

And speaking of fanfic happy endings - Lester starts singing again with his "damaged" voice and critics/white kids go crazy for his "unique" sound, his career takes off. They really never sold me on the "Uniquely talented blues guitarist with an insanely raspy voice couldn't be a performer" stuff.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

Really? Because there aren't enough cop shows on tv?!

... and these guys have been on all of them, separately! Bring them together for the ultimate cop show

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

JethroMcB posted:

And speaking of fanfic happy endings - Lester starts singing again with his "damaged" voice and critics/white kids go crazy for his "unique" sound, his career takes off. They really never sold me on the "Uniquely talented blues guitarist with an insanely raspy voice couldn't be a performer" stuff.
Yeah, as though the majority of blues legends weren't howlin' heroin addicts. The whole hackneyed organized crime angle was garbage, that Andre the Giant-faced fatso made a terrible crime boss. If you're wondering if you recognize him, it's because the actor played "Coco", the Leotardo toadie who Tony literally curbstomps the teeth out of in the final season of 'The Sopranos'

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Does anyone actually remember the final season of The Sopranos?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

They cancelled Boardwalk Empire for this shitshow? Ugh

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

quote:

. The two-hour Vinyl opener is said to have cost about $30 million and the first season $100 million.

Absurd cost for a show with such limited appeal.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

TheRationalRedditor posted:

'Billions' is really good. Aty first it starts like "why should I care about any of this".
And then rapidly goes on to "Do I really need to see this?" :stonk:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

They cancelled Boardwalk Empire for this shitshow? Ugh

I thought Boardwalk Empire turned into it's own slightly less lovely brand of shitshow in it's last two seasons and for some of the same reasons Vinyl was unappealing. Maybe terrence Winter needs to change up some of the writing and character tropes he seems to overuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
HBO is finally going to loving learn that putting Martin Scorsese's name on their dramas has massive diminishing returns & Mick Jagger outside The Rolling Stones is pure rear end. Vinyl is worse than any one of his solo records, even when played simultaneously.

I wonder what the first week sales on blu-ray were at Best Buy? What do you want to bet the execs got that number, looked at it and cancelled Vinyl that second?

HOW TO MAKE IT IN AMERICA got more seasons than this.

• Locked thread