Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
never had a problem w/ uplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Same, because ubisoft haven't released a game worth playing since prince of persia sands of time in 2003

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

anthonypants posted:

someone made a vulkan port of quake https://github.com/Novum/vkQuake

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

dolphin's vulkan renderer is now feature complete. even in it's beta state without performance tuning people are already reporting it being faster than the dx12 renderer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

i really don't see the market niche that dedicated linux gaming pcs (lmao) are going to fill

if you want to buy a box and play video games on it and generally not give a poo poo you buy a ps4

if you want to have a riced out cutting edge gaming platform you buy a windows 10 gaming pc from whatever the best parts are this week

whether you want to do vr or not doesn't really have much bearing one way or the other on that decision

you don't see the niche because the niche doesn't exist yet. there's a chicken/egg problem there. valve is making GBS threads out chickens and we'll see if any eggs come along. a steam console might actually be a legit alternative to a ps4 or a windows 10 "gaming pc"

the controller is already a huge step forward, even if the rest of the initiative fails. just having the steam controller makes playing pc games on your couch viable.

Mr Dog posted:

yes valve wants to have their own home turf independent of microsoft but how they're going to twist the arms of publishers into going along with this idea is not very clear, especially since those publishers are increasingly turning to things like uplay and origin in the hopes of not having to give a gigantic 30% cut of all their revenue to valve in exchange for basically running a cdn with bells on it

do you think uplay and origin are actually working out for them?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

is the controller not garbage? i just kind of assumed it'd blow rear end and i've heard so little about it that i figured that was the case

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Bloody posted:

is the controller not garbage? i just kind of assumed it'd blow rear end and i've heard so little about it that i figured that was the case

initial impressions with the default settings were kind of bad, but it's apparently pretty good if the game has a tuned profile.

even if it sucks for whatever you are playing, xbox, ps and wii controllers "just work" on linux/steamos without any extra drivers or loving around.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

it is surprisingly good.

the mouse emulation is much better than one would expect.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

initial impressions with the default settings were kind of bad, but it's apparently pretty good if the game has a tuned profile.

even if it sucks for whatever you are playing, xbox, ps and wii controllers "just work" on linux/steamos without any extra drivers or loving around.

it's ok without any "special" tuning

the main thing you need out of the game is that it needs to support simultaneous mouse and gamepad input, so that you can have one touchpad do mouse emulation while the rest of the gamepad works ... as a gamepad.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you don't see the niche because the niche doesn't exist yet. there's a chicken/egg problem there. valve is making GBS threads out chickens and we'll see if any eggs come along. a steam console might actually be a legit alternative to a ps4 or a windows 10 "gaming pc"

ps4 and windows 10 scare quote gaming pcs un scare quote have games. steam on linux does not. there would be a marginal business case for publishers to release games on linux if apple didn't gotta apple and actually supported vulkan natively on osx (because at that point the difference between linux and osx is basically just a tiny piece of boilerplate that you'd let sdl2 deal with), but of course they won't because they're the consumer world's new microsoft

steam controller is interesting because it kinda unifies the platform between deskgames and couchgames a little better. ps4 doesn't really go after that market segment. but all that will do is strength steam on windows. remember, you yourself are the one who says that everybody has their own killer app, and if somebody plays 5 games regularly and only 4 of them have been ported to linux so far then they ain't gonna move to linux.

there's a small linux zealot customer base but they are statistically insignificant, and courting those sorts of customers is a horrible idea anyway because you're never ideologically pure enough for them so they'll spend most of their energy publicly making GBS threads on your brand instead of promoting it even if you bend over backwards to please them. also zealotry doesn't pay the bills, there's that too.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

ps4 and windows 10 scare quote gaming pcs un scare quote have games. steam on linux does not

you are describing the chicken/egg issue: there's no reason for publishers to care until there's already a reason for publishers to care. i'm not sure what valve is doing to get publishers on the platform, but whatever it is, it seems to be working

steam on linux has more titles right now today than ps4.

granted like half of them are anime butt pillow simulator 2015 or something, but there's a non-trivial number of titles. even a handful of AAAs

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I liked it when doom got 15 more fps. I'll wait and see how this pans out. mite b cool

ps4 vs linux gaming is a stupid comparison
if you do play games on a pc, there's no reason to use linux over windows because the cost of switching between the two is free or a copy of windows which is basically free. playable windows games is a superset of games playable on linux

there is reason to use a PS4 though. Switching between ps4 and pc is not free. PS4 also has a nicer interface for games, native ps4 controller support, and a pseudo-guarantee that games will run at an acceptable level.
it also has games PC does not

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

well, linux makes it possible to game on pc without using windows, and that's a worthy goal in itself

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Tankakern posted:

well, linux makes it possible to game on pc without using windows, and that's a worthy goal in itself

Also it means you can save money on headphones/ speakers etc.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Panty Saluter posted:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Panty Saluter posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

ALSA it means you can save money on headphones/ speakers etc.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

:thurman:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MeruFM posted:

PS4 also has a nicer interface for games, native ps4 controller support, and a pseudo-guarantee that games will run at an acceptable level.

this is the whole point of valve's linux os. it boots directly into steam's couch/tv mode and it has native support for the steam controller

pc-like performance without pc-like hassle

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
you heard it here first folks: linux is the way to avoiding pc hassle

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
yep that is what valve is pitching

we'll see if it pans out i guess

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Panty Saluter posted:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i mean don't get me wrong i would dearly love to banish windows from my life forever but steamos is about as likely to succeed as endless mobile is (sorry suspicious dish)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

i mean don't get me wrong i would dearly love to banish windows from my life forever but steamos is about as likely to succeed as endless mobile is (sorry suspicious dish)

it looks to me like steamos is failing and nobody is buying steam boxes

but, at the same time, more and more titles are available on linux

i don't know what to think

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

i spent today writing a vulkan test app. it took me 2,000 lines of code to get a spinning cube on screen, an improvement over the official example i was working from which managed 3,000. mine only displays the blue channel though, so more fool me.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

josh04 posted:

i spent today writing a vulkan test app. it took me 2,000 lines of code to get a spinning cube on screen, an improvement over the official example i was working from which managed 3,000. mine only displays the blue channel though, so more fool me.

why aren't you using all the great vulkan middleware!?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

like nvidia's stunning c++ wrapper, which turns this:

code:
VkImageCreateInfo ci;
ci.sType = VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_IMAGE_CREATE_INFO;
ci.pNext = nullptr;
ci.flags = … some flags...;
ci.imageType = VK_IMAGE_TYPET_2D;
ci.format = VK_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM;
ci.extent = VkExtent3D { width, height, 1 };
ci.mipLevels = 1;
ci.arrayLayers = 1;
ci.samples = VK_SAMPLE_COUNT_1_BIT;
ci.tiling = VK_IMAGE_TILING_OPTIMAL;
ci.usage = VK_IMAGE_USAGE_COLOR_ATTACHMENT_BIT;
ci.sharingMode = VK_SHARING_MODE_EXCLUSIVE;
ci.queueFamilyIndexCount = 0;
ci.pQueueFamilyIndices = 0;
ci.initialLayout = VK_IMAGE_LAYOUT_UNDEFINED;
vkCreateImage(device, &ci, allocator, &image));
into merely this:

code:
vk::ImageCreateInfo ci;
ci.flags(...some flags…);
ci.imageType(vk::ImageType::e2D);
ci.format(vk::Format::eR8G8B8A8Unorm);
ci.extent(vk::Extent3D { width, height, 1 });
ci.mipLevels(1);
ci.arrayLayers(1);
ci.samples(1);
ci.tiling(vk::ImageTiling::eOptimal);
ci.usage(vk::ImageUsage::eColorAttachment);
ci.sharingMode(vk::SharingMode::eExclusive);
  // ci.queueFamilyIndexCount(0)	// no need to set, already initialized
  // ci.pQueueFamilyIndices(0)	// no need to set, already initialized
ci.initialLayout(vk::ImageLayout::eUndefined);
vk::createImage(device, &ci, allocator, &image)); 

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

bah, the point is getting real C++11 support with the features and safeguards that entails with virtually no overhead

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I have SteamOS and it's as good as having a new console a few months after release, library-wise.

however some of that library requires you to stand up, walk across the room, and fiddle with a mouse to press "launch" on the screen while kneeling uncomfortably on laminate flooring. for some reason 5% of games have a setting window before launch.

also, even some valve games aren't key mapped fully. no sprint or flashlight button in half life 2 unless you go plug in a mouse and set it up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao sounds like complete trash with no benefits over just using windows

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

lmao sounds like complete trash with no benefits over just using windows

windows has a lock screen you can't disable because it's for showing ads

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

weird how my desktop never locks

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"urrrr durrr pffft fart me want use linux with 1/3 the library b/c me am might see ads fart"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bloody posted:

weird how my desktop never locks

same

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i set my lock screen to show a neat picture :shobon:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

windows has a lock screen you can't disable because it's for showing ads

ive never tried to disable the lock screen but you can probably do it. also you don't get ads unless you have a pirated version.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Shaggar posted:

ive never tried to disable the lock screen but you can probably do it. also you don't get ads unless you have a pirated version.

lmao really? that owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk that's my guess cause the only people complaining about ads in windows 10 are pirates

• Locked thread