Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Tempers flare in today's video! This episode is mostly just traversing from point A to point B, but we do meet back up with Whiskey Company. What's left of them, anyway. :X

09: Heroes End

Fish Noise posted:

118 combined. Is the game trying to put the brakes on its own knife train?
I saw a whole bunch of them when I was scrubbing through today's video trying to come up with a description, so I think you won't be disappointed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

For how poorly the original Turok N64 games have aged, I would've never imagined that they would evolve to become something so stunningly mediocre!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Tin Hat posted:

For how poorly the original Turok N64 games have aged, I would've never imagined that they would evolve to become something so stunningly mediocre!

Turok Remastered is a god-send and revitalized the original game. It's been the most fun I've had playing an FPS in a long while. It feels like the breath of fresh air Serious Sam was when it was first released.

That said, though, yeah, the actual N64 version didn't age well. I look forward to the Turok 2 Remaster.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm really impressed that the game had such a solid voice talent but still managed to make that as mediocre as possible. That said, Gregory Cruz does a good job of voicing Turok, even though it is mostly in a stoic monotone. I just find it weirdly soothing somehow.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Now that I think about it, I've seen the minigun deploying into a turret in another game before. Possibly Shadowgrounds?

I actually WOULD like to see co-op in this just for the knifekill racing.

If 2013 was the Year of the Bow, then Warframe goes on the list. Admittedly, the bow started out as a kinda-poo poo novelty there, but now it even has a character who's basically the cover of Robin Hood Men In Tights.

Episode: 3 compsognathus, 17 large raptors, 2 dogasaurus
Total: 24 small raptors, 68 large raptors, 12 Helghast, 18 dogasaurus, 7 compsognathus, 10 baby rex, 1 adult rex
140 combined.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Both Vanquish and Binary Domain are freaking awesome games nobody has played :( Vanquish woulda greatly benefitted from a PC release.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I have played both Binary Domain AND Vanquish and can confirm they are both great.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Today we find out the juicier details about Wolf Pack's sinister plot, and Whiskey Company continues their trek to find a spaceship and get off this tu-rock.

10: Salt In A Wound

Blind Sally posted:

I have played both Binary Domain AND Vanquish and can confirm they are both great.
I think I own both of those games and have played neither of them. I should!

Fish Noise posted:

Now that I think about it, I've seen the minigun deploying into a turret in another game before. Possibly Shadowgrounds?
The Laptop Gun in Perfect Dark kind of also fits this description.

NotAnArtist posted:

I'm really impressed that the game had such a solid voice talent but still managed to make that as mediocre as possible. That said, Gregory Cruz does a good job of voicing Turok, even though it is mostly in a stoic monotone. I just find it weirdly soothing somehow.
Right? The choice of voice-talent is kind of the one saving grace in this otherwise mediocre title. Guess all those Disney dollars had to go somewhere.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

NotAnArtist posted:

That said, Gregory Cruz does a good job of voicing Turok, even though it is mostly in a stoic monotone. I just find it weirdly soothing somehow.
There's a certain Saitama-esque "ok." to it. It's like he's seen it all before. At most, his voice expresses some dull surprise, maybe.
In between that and how familiar things are in this, I can only conclude that Turok is in fact Shoot Man, The FPS Protagonist.
Being intercepted off of a transport to a military prison to be recruited into a black ops team, ditching the team for their actions, getting assigned to a marine company that's hunting down that team, getting shot down and repeatedly working alongside a guy who hates him because of that black ops team while everyone else dies and a former bow buddy from that team stalks him and dinosaurs and scorpions and spidertanks and scorpion fart bioweapons and volcanoes and giant mosquito things... for Turok, this is Tuesday.

I must commend whichever twisted genius put together this scene, however:

That loving mouse cursor

Episode: 1 Helghast, 7 large raptors -not counting the regularly knifed one
Total: 24 small raptors, 75 large raptors, 13 Helghast, 18 dogasaurus, 7 compsognathus, 10 baby rex, 1 adult rex
148 combined.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I especially like the complete lack of urgency that still somehow drives the plot forward. Like, in every cutscene Whiskey Company is basically just moseying along. "Gotta go here to get a comms link," "gotta go here to rendezvous with another member of the team," "oh look the redshirt just got shot to death, that's too bad." Stuff just happens and there's no effect on the team.

My favorite? "Oh look, a volcano is erupting. Nah, don't worry, that lava isn't going anywhere. Better just march on up to the [GENERIC SCIENCE FACILITY]."

Maybe my memories of the original Turok64 are blinded by nostalgia, however I remember there being some really insane, fun weapons. That game had personality, man. (don't correct me on this, I like my warm blanket of ignorance)

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 20, 2016

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

NotAnArtist posted:

Maybe my memories of the original Turok64 are blinded by nostalgia, however I remember there being some really insane, fun weapons. That game had personality, man. (don't correct me on this, I like my warm blanket of ignorance)

Nah, I'd agree completely, and I just played them recently. It's sad to see the series fall this far into mediocraty. I watched that last video and other than the nerve gas demonstration I can't remember a single notable thing that happened in it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

NotAnArtist posted:

No, that game is fun. Also, thanks to the remaster, it still holds up today. I've said it before, but Turok Remastered is the best FPS I've played in several years. In fact, I've been recording the Remaster to throw in the Casual LP thread just to show it off.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

In today's video, I cut an hour's worth of footage into 20 minutes of somewhat-competent gameplay. Also Turok shoots a helicopter with a rocket until it dies. Spoilers.

11: End Of The Road, Into The Breach

NotAnArtist posted:

The Cerebral Bore was pretty fun.

Blind Sally posted:

No, that game is fun. Also, thanks to the remaster, it still holds up today. I've said it before, but Turok Remastered is the best FPS I've played in several years. In fact, I've been recording the Remaster to throw in the Casual LP thread just to show it off.
Nice! Looking forward to it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Perhaps if this game had a dinosaur who is also a doctor and a recurring nemesis?
Also if the Helghast masks come off and they turn out to be dinosaurs. Regular shaped dinosaurs, even, not people shaped. And nobody questions it.

I appreciate how the minigun turret's reticle implies a huge spread, but in practice it's almost laser accurate.

Episode: aaaallllmost 1 Helghast but then your allies showed up and yeah
Total: 24 small raptors, 75 large raptors, 13 Helghast, 18 dogasaurus, 7 compsognathus, 10 baby rex, 1 adult rex
148 combined, still.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I love how the minigun just disappeared from your hands right as the cutscene started.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

In today's video, we frantically push to wrap up all of the game's loose ends before the credits roll.

12: An Eye For An Eye

Theater Mode video should be going up later today. As always, hella thanks to Lobst and DemoWeasel for sticking with me through our fantastic journey into the cave of monsters, to Activision Acclaim Propaganda Games (for making us laugh), and a very special thanks to you, the viewer.

This was Turok.

Fish Noise posted:

Perhaps if this game had a dinosaur who is also a doctor and a recurring nemesis?
Also if the Helghast masks come off and they turn out to be dinosaurs. Regular shaped dinosaurs, even, not people shaped. And nobody questions it.
Anonymous Rex is such a great book.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I love how the minigun just disappeared from your hands right as the cutscene started.
If this was a Call of Duty game, there would've been a "PRESS A TO BREACH" moment where the game goes into super-slowmo and Grimes shoots an arrow at you and you catch it and throw it back so hard that it penetrates his skull and he dies.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I enjoy that Turok goes for the not knife on his chest just to miss the knife hanging like 4 inches below where he wanted to grab his loving knife!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Thanks for the LP Phenwah. With any luck the next you tackle will have personality, though Turok sets a really low bar.

to be fair to Turok, the existence of dinosaurs doesn't really need to be explained, since it's not Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, it's just Turok: Extreme Mediocrity Edition

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 26, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
And so we have to go back cultural dickery by grunge-man first saying "I pulled you out of the gutter by teaching you about your heritage" to "you were lesser because you didn't mindlessly follow orders of your superiors as is the way of the WHITE GUY". What the gently caress is wrong with video games and using first Americans? Why couldn't you just keep Turok as just the best of the Space Marines and the one who makes it to the end to kill Bad Guy for being Bad Guy with no attempt at a history between the two as who gives a gently caress in a bog standard shooter?:psyduck:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I notice that the t-rex we fought had a distinctive scar over its eye. Is it supposed to have been the same one following us throughout the game? Because if so, I didn't catch that at all.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Wanamingo posted:

I notice that the t-rex we fought had a distinctive scar over its eye. Is it supposed to have been the same one following us throughout the game? Because if so, I didn't catch that at all.
I looked it up, and what do you know

Episode: 6 large raptors, 1 Kane, 1 same adult rex from before
Total: 24 small raptors, 81 large raptors, 13 Helghast, 18 dogasaurus, 7 compsognathus, 10 baby rex, 1 adult rex, 1 Kane
155 combined.

quote:

Lobst: And then like the very final cutscene, Turok and Slade kiss.
Demoweasel: Actually, that's something this game could've used.
Also this was in the storyboards.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

This video contains the bulk of Turok's in-game cutscenes. Although much of the narrative experience is relayed through mid-mission dialogue, I played it very fast-and-loose when creating this reel, only including moments where camera control was actually wrestled away from the player-character, Turok. Don't worry, you're not missing much.

Theater Mode

Fish Noise posted:

Episode: 6 large raptors, 1 Kane, 1 same adult rex from before
Total: 24 small raptors, 81 large raptors, 13 Helghast, 18 dogasaurus, 7 compsognathus, 10 baby rex, 1 adult rex, 1 Kane
155 combined.
Achievement Unlocked: That One Achievement From Dead Rising

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I love that the recommended "strategy" for the T-rex was to shoot at it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dang what a mediocre, unremarkable game. I know Gears of War was popular, but it always felt very more of the same to me, and this game felt even more so.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

VIDEOS

00: Attract Mode
01: Part 1
02: Part 2
03: Part 3
04: Part 4
05: Part 5
EX: Theater Mode

Jurassic: The Hunted is a 2009 first-person shooter developed for sixth- and seventh-generation consoles by Cauldron (Soldier of Fortune: Payback, Gene Troopers) and published by Activision (Fast & Furious: Showdown, Gun). In it, players assume the role of Dylan Craig, a survival expert working with a team of researchers to investigate an S.O.S. transmission from the Bermuda Triangle, where an expedition disappeared thirty years prior. Also, it's got dinosaurs in it.

DISCLAIMER: Jurassic: The Hunted is presented entirely without the aid of subtitles. My comrades and I did our best to avoid talking over important dialogue, but there's a fair amount of mid-mission chatter that we didn't see coming. Once the LP is finished, I'll be uploading a "Theater Mode" video with all of the cutscenes strung together.

I'm Phenwah, joined as always by Lobst and DemoWeasel. Welcome to Jurassic: The Hunted!

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 14, 2016

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

This video contains the following chapters:

01: Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot
02: Far from Shore, Far from Home

Jurassic: The Hunted: Part 1

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
what the gently caress is this game

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So this is actually a Cabellah's Prehistoric hunts game?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I looker it up, and apparently Cauldron was a Slovakian dev team. They did some crap back in the lates 90s/early 00s, after which they started doing mostly History Channel and Cabela's games. They were bought out in 2015 and everybody there was sent to work on DayZ.

e: I should watch to the end of the video before posting :saddowns:

Wanamingo fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 30, 2016

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Oh man, they made History Channel: Civil War. The only thing I remember in that game was at the beginning of the first level some guy says "don't forget me" before dying.

And I never have. :unsmith:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blind Sally posted:

what the foxtrot is this game

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

chugging buttrock guitar riffs while dinosaurs lazily climb over a wooden fence while you shoot them with an ancient gatling gun is still more entertaining to watch than Turok

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

This video contains the following chapters:

03: Sinking Feeling
04: Vortex Zero

02: Part 2

Blind Sally posted:

what the foxtrot is this game
Jurassic: The Hunted is a 2009 first-person shooter developed for sixth- and seventh-generation consoles by Cauldron (Soldier of Fortune: Payback, Gene Troopers) and published by Activision (Fast & Furious: Showdown, Gun). In it, players assume the role of Dylan Craig, a survival expert working with a team of researchers to investigate an S.O.S. transmission from the Bermuda Triangle, where an expedition disappeared thirty years prior. Also, it's got dinosaurs in it.

Crabtree posted:

So this is actually a Cabellah's Prehistoric hunts game?
...basically, yes.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
You mispronounced mediocre, it is actually :mediocre:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"mee-dee-oh-cray"

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

For dinosaur games, are we counting chickens as some sort of intensely stupid miniature T-rex? Because if so, there's always gif-generating goon game Signs of Life.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis was a good dinosaur game, at least for its time. The plot was basically "what if the first movie had gone right", and then it's a park building/tycoon game.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Dino Crisis 2 is the best game prominently featuring dinosaurs imo

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I always withhold full judgement on any shooter until I see the shotgun so now I can say for sure this is a bad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
When you got to that second fort sequence I thought that grabbing the red power up had catapulted you into the air and was going to kill you.

• Locked thread