Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Welcome to the let's play of some JoJo's Bizarre Adventure games! The goal of this LP is pretty much this

-Beat the games
-Talk about character playstyles and strategies
-Play some other games with JoJo chars in them
-Show off JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
-Have fun playing some cool games about pretty dudes that pose for the internet

There's also some individual goals per game, but I'll get to those after the next section.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a manga series that started in 1987 by Hirohiko Araki. It follows the story of the Joestar Bloodline, a family of heroic men and women fated to be thrust into action and personal wars. Every new part of the series sees a new main character with the nickname, JoJo, and whatever conflicts should follow them and their loved ones. Locations can range from Victorian London to 90s Japan to the Old West. JoJo's is a series that's appeal derives from how stylish it is. With characters doing dynamic poses, fights being plotted interestingly with odd circumstances, and Stands, ghostlike manifestations of a person's inner power.

It is a series that has remained quite popular in its home of Japan for over 25 years and even saw some success in western countries like France and Italy. It has only recently made its way to the shores of America for the first time since 2005 thanks to a combination of the anime's debut and the pushing of manga releases. I hope to inform more people about JoJo's with this LP and also show you guys these games.

There will be three games played throughout the course of this LP, the first one is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future.

Released in Japanese arcades in 1998, Capcom developed this crazy rear end game that combines the weird ghost powers the series is known for with Capcom's style of fighting games. It's closer to Darkstalkers than any other fighter and even it individualizes itself in its own unique mechanics that are really weird, but awesome. It is based on the third Part of the series, Stardust Crusaders and the Playstation 1 version has a story mode which covers the whole story. The story follows Jotaro Kujo, the grandson of previous protagonist, Joseph Joestar. Jotaro and Co. go on an adventure to Egypt to save his mother who is dying from an illness caused by a series antagonist' newly awakened power. It was available on PS1, the Dreamcast, Xbox 360, and PS3 but is no longer available for the latter two since they have been pulled from the respective online stores.

Heritage for the Future Goals
-Beat the Game
-S-Rank every mission (Aside from a certain kind)
-Get every secret factor
-Show off every character (Moves, gameplan, arcade endings, etc.)
-Cover Parts 1 & 2 for context
-Put up some other goon exhibition matches

I will be using three separate versions of this game for the LP: PS1, Arcade, & HD. The PS1 will be what the story mode is played on, the arcade version will be used for fightcade random exhibition matches, and the HD Version will be used to show off characters. There are several differences between each version, but I will get to those in their own video.

Next is Golden Wind

Released in 2002 for the PS2, this is another Capcom developed JoJo game. Unlike HftF though, it is a beat 'em up game. It's a very different kind of beat 'em up game though since the game's enemies are not random mooks, but entirely boss fights with changing playable characters from chapter to chapter. It adapts Part 5's story which follows the story of Giorno Giovanna, the son of a long time series antagonist. The game was original slated for a western release, but due to unknown reasons it was made exclusive to Japan.

Finally, there's All Star Battle

Released in 2013 for the PS3, this was the second game published by Bandai Namco and it was developed by Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm superstar developer, CyberConnect2. Created to celebrate JoJo's 25th Anniversary, this fighting game pulls from all parts of the series for its cast with faithfully recreated moves, quotes, and scenes straight out of the panels of the manga. It got released to the west in 2014, making it the first JoJo game since Heritage for the Future's PS1 release in 2000 to see an overseas release.

Updates will be me solo talking over the games. HftF has about 39 chapters covering its story mode, I will be allowing as many chapters as I see fit per episode. Some are longer than others, it's a pretty weird game as the title implies. Alongside normal updates I will try to have extra videos covering the other parts of JoJo which are not covered in games & character analysis. Exhibition matches will be uploaded after the story mode is finished unless we are at a point where I feel like it's fine to upload them prior.

Exhibition matches between other goons and friends because this game's actual fast-paced insanity is something to behold, especially when you're on fightcade getting wrecked by some dude in Brazil.

JoJo's has a long rear end history of certain characters being in certain games, but it's had very few to itself. These will be videos where I play the other games with a co-commentator.

Music is a big part of this series in more ways than one, so I will drop some links to the music of these games. All of the games generally have their own cool style, especially All Star Battle.

#1: Leaving for Egypt
Phantom Blood Recap
Jotaro Kujo Character Video
#2: Hong Kong
Noriaki Kakyoin Character Video
#3: True Scoundrels
Battle Tendency Recap
Muhammad Avdol Character Video
#4: Minigame Hell
Joseph Joestar Character Video
#5: Tarot Cleanup
Jean-Pierre Polnareff Character Video
#6: The Egyptian Gods & Iggy Character Video
#7: Anubis
Devo Character Video
#8: Bastet and Sethan
Hol Horse Character Video
#9: The Gambler

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This'll be for a thing probably

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

#1: Leaving Towards Egypt

Holly & Jotaro Comparison
Jotaro's Cell
Standoff Comparison
Nurse's Office Gore Video
Bud Pulling Comparison
Holly Stand Comparison
DIO Comparison
Lineup Comparison
Massacre Gore
Various Tower of Gray Assets 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Opening
Map
Introduction 1
Muhammad Avdol
Before the Battle
Noriaki Kakyoin
Jotaro Kujo
Introduction 2
Tower of Gray (Gray Fly)

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 17, 2016

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
Well this lp got off to a good start!

Will you be doing the Phantom Blood game during this thread?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Heavy Sigh posted:

Well this lp got off to a good start!

Will you be doing the Phantom Blood game during this thread?

I considered it and might change my mind at some point, but my decision on playing that mostly came down to "It is a bad game that might not derive a lot of merit or even entertainment for a full lp." I will definitely do a solo vid for it at some point though, because it deserves to be shown off a little.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yes, the Jojo revolution will be fully realized.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Great start! I love this informative style of LP and we always need more JoJo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Baal, please purchase and fully complete Eyes of Heaven (JP and EN when it's out) too. Thank you.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
An esteemed former moderator of ADTRW doing an LP? Haven't seen that one before. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, I liked the video, and hope that you do the games some justice.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
This is the type of LP for this game I've dreamed of. That being said, can you slow down/better explain the fighting game terms you use? It would be much appreciated

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Btw Waffleman is doing an LP of two JoJo RPGs, one covers the same ground Heritage for the Future will, but the other is a weird game with all kinds of different stuff from different parts in it so watch out for anything that you're waiting to see.

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

This is the type of LP for this game I've dreamed of. That being said, can you slow down/better explain the fighting game terms you use? It would be much appreciated

Yeah, sorry about that. I play a lot of fighting games so the lingo just works its way into my talking habits whenever I'm talking about them to anyone. I will make sure I cover anything I'm saying in the future. I dunno about slowing down my speech, because by nature I talk sort of fast, but I will try to temper it.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 17, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
There's a lesson to be learned here: Never get on the same plane ans Joseph Joestar.

Also, enjoying this already.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Plane, boat, car... just, really anything involving Joseph and transportation is a bad idea.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Plane, boat, car... just, really anything involving Joseph and transportation is a bad idea.

Speedwagon got out fine that one time back when Joseph was a kid. :colbert:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Aithon posted:

Speedwagon got out fine that one time back when Joseph was a kid. :colbert:

Only because fate beat him to it years before.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I remember being very impressed by the PS1 games story mode before I knew what JoJo even WAS, just that I was renting a cool looking Capcom fighter. Later down the line, sad the Dreamcast copy we grabbed was just the Vs arcade stuff.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Baal, I don't know if you already have these and are planning to post them later on, but this tumblr page has a lot of the stage backgrounds from HFTF extracted from the game, which I found quite tricky to track down a while ago when I was making 3DS themes.

http://pixeldigest.tumblr.com/tagged/JoJo%27s-Bizarre-Adventure

It has a handful of other HFTF stuff too.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I knew background assets were somewhere but the old places I knew before I couldn't find them at so thank you for that. I will make sure to use those when I'm comparing stages.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Baal posted:

The game was original slated for a western release, but due to unknown reasons it was made exclusive to Japan.

I'm going to guess because Stand names, since prior to ASB and the 2015 anime nobody was really willing to try and creatively dodge around copyrights or talk to bands.
But after the loving catastrophe that was the Phantom Blood movie where the old studio that did the JoJo OVAs tried to cut out a lot, including SPEEDWAGON, it got Araki so pissed that it never saw home release- And thank god it lead to the current handlers for JoJo and now it's not just a niche series anymore.
Maybe someday we'll get video game adaptations of specific parts for newer consoles that can be released stateside.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah stand names are the general thought for why it didn't make it over since so many of the music references in the localization for Part 3 were changed to be lawyer friendly, but in that case it always struck me as weird they didn't just do the same with the Part 5 game in that case so I feel like there's a bigger reason behind it. I mean the game was actually planned for Western Release and I remember being in middle school and seeing it advertised for an issue of Jump, so I assume they had a plan that just fell through at some point.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Cutting Speedwagon out of anything is a serious crime. :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I should've said this in the OP so this is my bad, but I ask that people curb their discussion of some later JoJo stuff a bit. Generally vague questions are fine, but until I cover something please watch out on spoilers and whatnot. Not that it's been an issue of course, I just wanna say this since I forgot to state it in the OP.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Baal posted:

Yeah stand names are the general thought for why it didn't make it over since so many of the music references in the localization for Part 3 were changed to be lawyer friendly, but in that case it always struck me as weird they didn't just do the same with the Part 5 game in that case so I feel like there's a bigger reason behind it. I mean the game was actually planned for Western Release and I remember being in middle school and seeing it advertised for an issue of Jump, so I assume they had a plan that just fell through at some point.

Well to be fair they also cut out just half of the enemies they fought in part 5 in general, so there was probably OTHER reasons too, just as for the stateside aspect that's what comes to mind.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh yeah, definitely.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Prince is such an rear end in a top hat about his copyrights that I wouldn't be surprised if he demanded the game be pulled in its entirety, never settling for lesser.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I am so ready to listen to you talk a lot about fighting games. Heritage in the Future in particular is such an odd thing to me, like it's such an incredibly specific and unique game to exist but I never had the slightest clue what was going on.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Warawa Noriaki Kakyoin da! Sa, kakattekoi!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

alcharagia posted:

Warawa Noriaki Kakyoin da! Sa, kakattekoi!

Kakyoin is the best.

Linked for minor Part 3 spoilers since I don't know how far we can go in discussion.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Kakyoin is the best.

Linked for minor Part 3 spoilers since I don't know how far we can go in discussion.

I feel so... pose-ful, right now.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Waffleman_ posted:

Kakyoin is the best.

HIEROPHANT GREEN

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Waffleman_ posted:

Kakyoin is the best.

Do yourself a favor and turn on auto-captions for this.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Mzbundifund posted:

Do yourself a favor and turn on auto-captions for this.

Twitter Google Tubercolosi.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So is the PS3 version based on the arcade version? Cause you mentioned the AI being really passive, and from my experience with the demo, that is absolutely not the case in the PS3 one. I can't even beat the first fight.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Momomo posted:

So is the PS3 version based on the arcade version? Cause you mentioned the AI being really passive, and from my experience with the demo, that is absolutely not the case in the PS3 one. I can't even beat the first fight.

I thought he meant the A.I. was only passive for the second fight? Kakoyin didn't do anything.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Abdul wasn't really doing anything during the first fight either, so I figured he just meant in general.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Momomo posted:

I think, but don't quote me on this, that the HD version was based on the Dreamcast version. That or it's some kind of weird hybrid of the Dreamcast and revised Arcade versions. The Playstation version is based on the initial release of the Arcade version but has the extra characters from the revised version and the Super Story Mode.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Super Story Mode is the PSX Version of the game, it is based on the original version of the game, JoJo's Venture but is still a lower quality port even coming off of that game. Whenever you see banners or a general shift in visual quality of the game it is the HD Version or the Arcade version which most definitely have tougher AI. The HD Version is very likely based on the Dreamcast port which is already an arcade perfect port except the HD Version has a few differences from the Dreamcast version but they are entirely mechanical.

Yes, I was referring to Kakyoin in that specific instance.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like that they initially named it Jojo's Venture. It sounds like Jotaro is making a business deal or something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Venture was the original version of the game and Heritage for the Future is the update that added characters and changed the mechanics up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Before the next set of story updates I'm going to have a system mechanics video, Jotaro video, and Phantom Blood Recap video within the next few days. I'm pretty scatterbrained (As you'll see in the recap video), but I'm looking to have all the next supplementary vids up in the same update by the next time I do an actual story update. The Phantom Blood recap vid might be up tonight depending on how long it takes me to edit, so look forward to that.

• Locked thread