Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Recap

Enjoy? This took me forever to get up and I had to change to dailymotion for this one and probably the BT one, so get ready for that. It's pretty silly and yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Dio Brando making a lady eat her own baby was probably the most hosed up thing he's ever done.

And that's saying something.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Dio Brando making a lady eat her own baby was probably the most hosed up thing he's ever done.

And that's saying something.

It was less "making", more "letting". But then again, this is Dio we're talking about. Not gonna let him by with anything.

Also, I wanted to say I enjoyed this recap and I look forward to your next one, of Battle Tendency. It is beautiful in every way.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, as someone who's never actually watched a JoJo, I get the distinct impression that your desperate floundering with the plot was much more to do with the drat thing being that crazy than with your attempt at doing it all in one take. Can't wait to see more recaps.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Okay I'm only like 6 minutes into this recap, but it's totally rad and I love it.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
That was fun watching you try to explain it like that, seeing how Phantom Blood is the most simple part I'd love to see you do the other parts where things really get bizarre. I noticed Jorge Joestar flash up a couple of times there, I'd like to see you try and explain that because I sure as hell can't.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That recap was so good. I have to go watch the dub of Jojo now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
"Bizarre" seems pretty apt now. Is everyone's name a music reference?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not everyone, but a lot of them are. The name JoJo itself comes from a diner Araki and his assistant went to before making the manga. Kakyoin's name is the name of a town in Sendai, Araki's hometown to be specific.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

The lovely translation I read of Phantom Blood, ages ago, gave me the impression that DIO's vampire eye lasers were actually him using his eyelashes to flick his tears with the speed and force of a gunshot.

Eye lasers just being a thing vampires can do is a bit less silly, ironically!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Look, with a name like Space Ripper - Stingy Eyes, it can be whatever Dio wants it to be. :allears:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm pretty sure the eye lasers are, incomprehensably, super-pressurized blood he's just shooting out of his eyes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

JT Jag posted:

I'm pretty sure the eye lasers are, incomprehensably, super-pressurized blood he's just shooting out of his eyes.

And now you know why Part 1 is called Phantom Blood. It was foreshadowing the whole time. :eng101:

Well, probably not.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
They're a little bit less gross than that, it's just his super pressurized eyeball liquid that comes out pink somehow. I imagine he can't use it a lot without needing some eyedrops cause drat he's gotta have some dry eyes.

e: I've always loved how vague the Part names can be. Like, Stardust Crusaders is called that because Star Platinum is the Stand of a member of a group that is crusading towards Egypt, adding dust to it just makes it a cool word. Phantom Blood probably refers to the Blood of all JoJo's that starts with Jonathan or something. Battle Tendency is called that cause a lot of people in that part have a tendency to battle I guess??

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 23, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Battle Tendency is actually not the most apt translation. A better one would be "Tide of Battle". If you know about our part 2 hero (Joseph 4 lyfe), them you'd understand why.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

bman in 2288 posted:

Battle Tendency is actually not the most apt translation. A better one would be "Tide of Battle". If you know about our part 2 hero (Joseph 4 lyfe), them you'd understand why.

"Did you know, there are three kinds of Jojos?

Those who seek strength.

Those who live for pride

And those who can read the tide of battle

Those are the three. And him, he was a true Jojo."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't know if the part names were always there, but the parts were at one referred to by the protagonist names with a subtitle

Jonathan Joestar: His Youth
Joseph Joestar: His Proud Lineage
Jotaro Kujo: Heritage for the Future
Josuke Higashikata
Giorno Giovanna: Golden Heritage

I think Part 6 is the first part where the subtitle ended up sticking with the Part name.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

"Did you know, there are three kinds of Jojos?

Those who seek strength.

Those who live for pride

And those who can read the tide of battle

Those are the three. And him, he was a true Jojo."
Also the fourth type: Those who wish to chill with cool dudes and make mad cash.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Baal posted:

Not everyone, but a lot of them are. The name JoJo itself comes from a diner Araki and his assistant went to before making the manga. Kakyoin's name is the name of a town in Sendai, Araki's hometown to be specific.

I was pretty sure Jojo was a reference to the Beatles song "Get Back". Especially since at the end of Stardust Crusaders, Joseph is listening to that very song on his Walkman.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nah, that was just a coincidence that Araki acknowledged.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Fine you a-holes, you got me giving reading JoJo a chance. Hope you're happy. I just finished the second "book" of the first arc, with Dio just becoming a vampire and JoJo thinking he's killed him on the statue (which we know isn't true just a scant few pages later) I like how everything I know about this series is that it's all kinds of whackadoo but that starting from the very beginning it's a very slow but steady escalation, starting out very grounded in reality. Also, if we're debating the meaning of "Phantom Blood", do bear in mind it's a story about vampires...

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Choco1980 posted:

Fine you a-holes, you got me giving reading JoJo a chance. Hope you're happy. I just finished the second "book" of the first arc, with Dio just becoming a vampire and JoJo thinking he's killed him on the statue (which we know isn't true just a scant few pages later) I like how everything I know about this series is that it's all kinds of whackadoo but that starting from the very beginning it's a very slow but steady escalation, starting out very grounded in reality. Also, if we're debating the meaning of "Phantom Blood", do bear in mind it's a story about vampires...

I think you've reached the end of the slow escalation, honestly. The start of the series felt like something out of Edgar Allan Poe to me, but once Zeppeli shows up, the whackadoo level jumps straight to the top. And then keeps going up.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Every part ratchets things up more than the last. I'm not going to spoil anything but I definitely found myself cursing out loud at some of the plot points and stand uses later in the series. Araki gets real creative with Stands really fast (thank god).

Edit: if anyone doesn't have the time or inclination to read admittedly lengthy manga, the current anime adaptation is very faithful to the source material, and is about to head into Part 4 (of 8). The only quirk about it is that some names are changed in subtitles for licensing reasons. You can still hear the music references in the spoken dialog.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 23, 2016

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Green Intern posted:

The only quirk about it is that some names are changed in subtitles for licensing reasons. You can still hear the music references in the spoken dialog.

Santviento? Zenyatta Mondatta?! :argh:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

dscruffy1 posted:

Zenyatta Mondatta?! :argh:

The most confusing thing about this censorship change is that in a later part, there's a character who actually has this name.

Xad fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 23, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Xad posted:

The most confusing this about this censorship change is that in a later part, there's a character who actually has this name.

That's fantastic. :allears:

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Overview was great but I kinda wish you had included the clip of them dropping an Anvil on Doobie's head. Otherwise yeah it's great.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Yeah, I forgot to say that I really enjoyed your overview. Pretty funny, and you hit all the major points. A+ would imprint on a polaroid again.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
One of my favorite parts of watching Phantom Blood with someone is when they assume Doobie is going to be a big long fight and Jonathan just loving annihilates him.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
After he inherits Zeppeli's abilities and will (:v:), Jonathan curbstomps pretty much everything he fights except Dio. Usually new anime power-ups get properly showed off exactly one time after the character gets them and then it's back to winning by the skin of their teeth, so this was an awesome surprise.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I actually linked it to some friends who I've tried to get to read or at least watch for 4 years now. Results are pending.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Xad posted:

The most confusing thing about this censorship change is that in a later part, there's a character who actually has this name.

It's not an actual character, just one who's mentioned. And it's in an alternate universe and completely possible that it's a reference to the name change from the original English version of the manga. A lot of the name changes in the anime were already in the manga, yo.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Steak Eater posted:

Overview was great but I kinda wish you had included the clip of them dropping an Anvil on Doobie's head. Otherwise yeah it's great.

Funny, when I got to that moment in the manga last night, I thought it was the big assed spiked hammer that Speedwagon uses to bash Zombies' brains in with :black101: It does kinda look like an anvil I suppose.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aithon posted:

After he inherits Zeppeli's abilities and will (:v:), Jonathan curbstomps pretty much everything he fights except Dio. Usually new anime power-ups get properly showed off exactly one time after the character gets them and then it's back to winning by the skin of their teeth, so this was an awesome surprise.

To be fair, Jonathan doesn't have that much of a hard time against Dio, either.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Steak Eater posted:

I actually linked it to some friends who I've tried to get to read or at least watch for 4 years now. Results are pending.

I remember trying to get people into Jojo years ago, only to have everyone say variances on the phrase 'dude, that looks gay as hell'. Watching those same folk now lose control over the series fills me with equal parts smugness and rage.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I remember trying to get people into Jojo years ago, only to have everyone say variances on the phrase 'dude, that looks gay as hell'. Watching those same folk now lose control over the series fills me with equal parts smugness and rage.

Not to agree with them or anything, but...

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, Jonathan doesn't have that much of a hard time against Dio, either.
The first time after Zeppeli's death he doesn't, yeah. :smith: And the second time Dio basically got the drop on him.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Araki just didn't seem to be able to draw men who didn't look like exaggerated bodybuilders for a long time. I heard Kakyoin was actually his attempt at drawing an effeminate dude.

Aithon fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 23, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Baal posted:

I don't know if the part names were always there, but the parts were at one referred to by the protagonist names with a subtitle

Jonathan Joestar: His Youth
Joseph Joestar: His Proud Lineage
Jotaro Kujo: Heritage for the Future
Josuke Higashikata
Giorno Giovanna: Golden Heritage

I think Part 6 is the first part where the subtitle ended up sticking with the Part name.

The names like Phantom Blood etc are post script for all but Part 6, yeah. Even part 6 was Jolyne Kujo - Stone Ocean originally though.

Xad posted:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That's fantastic. :allears:

It's only a passing mention for a horse in Part 7, to be fair.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm in the process of making my Jotaro character video right now and hope to have it up and the mechanics video before Sunday is over. Sorry this has been taking so long, it's been a weird week and I haven't gotten time to record until due to a massive shift in my daily schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jotaro Kujo

Thanks for being patient with me. I like to think I explained a decent amount of the FG terminology I used in this aside from the move notation which I explain in the description and in another video that'll go up in a few days. If you noticed I omitted a certain move and that's because it'll be talked about wayyyyyy down the road.

• Locked thread