Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It takes one to know one!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm learning about this game in all its version and stuff about the fighting genre in general, it's very interesting! So I must say to you, Baal: bravo, oh, bravo!

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

I can't believe they showed the scene of Polnareff and Hol Horse laughing, but forgot to include the joke they were laughing about. That's amazing. :allears: If you're not familiar with Jojo and/or don't remember, the scene actually goes a little something like this:

HOL HORSE: End of the line, Polnarreff! Your sword can't beat my gun!
POLNAREFF: What's that? You want me to beat your bum? Hahahaha!
HOL HORSE: ...Wahahahaha!
POLNAREFF: Hahahahahahaha!
HOL HORSE: Ha...
HOL HORSE: I'm gonna loving kill you!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There'll be another video next week covering Part 2 and then the super story update shortly after

Muhammad Avdol

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Yes he is.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finished the recording for the Part 2 Recap, you have all been warned

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

I can't wait :allears:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

dancingbears posted:

I can't wait :allears:

So I don't empty-quote.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There sure are a lot of "trap laying" mechanics in this game, aren't there? Or is the shock of Kakyoin being Testament just distracting me and there aren't a lot from here on out?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
When you see the rest of the cast, you'll realize how little there are in the game. That being said there's one more character who has trappy stuff and she's not even good.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Part 1, yes, PART 1

I'll have Part 2 up by the end of the week... hopefully

Part #1
Part #2

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 8, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Joseph is not my favorite JoJo but I think he seems like one of the easier ones to chill with.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Joseph is not my favorite JoJo but I think he seems like one of the easier ones to chill with.

Next you'll say Jonathan is my favorite Jojo

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

He prefers "Johnny".

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Thank you for your wonderful efforts describing insanity.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Section Z posted:

Thank you for your wonderful efforts describing insanity.

"He trains by putting on a gimp mask" really got to me. It's also always interesting when then medical fads end up influencing Japanese media of the time.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah I didn't learn until later that was a medical fad and really didn't understand why because it seemed more detrimental than anything else.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 4, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Baal posted:

Yeah I didn't learn until later that was a medical dad and. Really didn't understand why because it seemed more detrimental than anything else.

If it's difficult, that must mean it's exercise! The near asphyxiation is clearly strengthening my lung muscles, that's how it works right?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Jonathan Joestar is was a gentleman and a scholar. :colbert:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Section Z posted:

If it's difficult, that must mean it's exercise! The near asphyxiation is clearly strengthening my lung muscles, that's how it works right?

I saw one of the trainers at my gym using one of these a few weeks ago, he seems pretty buff but I don't know how much of that (if any) is attributable to the mask :shrug:

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

C-Euro posted:

I saw one of the trainers at my gym using one of these a few weeks ago, he seems pretty buff but I don't know how much of that (if any) is attributable to the mask :shrug:

far as I know, the only real purpose of those masks is for athletes training at low-altitudes that are going to be competing at high-altitude locations. mask restricts oxygen, lungs adapt to lower oxygen levels and increase % of oxygen absorbed. then the athlete doesn't need a period of adjustment at the high-altitude place.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Section Z posted:

I mean idk, since the Ripple is about breathing maybe it something?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I edited the post to have Part 2 in it, enjoy.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
"This video contains content from Warner Bros. Entertainment, who has blocked it on copyright grounds. "

that was quick.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It actually was working fine momentarily and then even more copyright notices than the Phantom Blood video popped up and only one actually got it blocked. Let me compress the vid a bit and put it on Dailymotion.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I put in a dispute so the video's working for now, I'm still going to upload to Dailymotion so I have a backup in case they decide to kill my video in a month

I believe the Phantom Blood one should be working too if you haven't watched it on Dailymotion for whatever reason.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 8, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Anime is crazy.

Maybe I missed it, but did Jonathan and Erina have any kids? I know she's holding a baby at the end of Part 1, would that be Jonathan's dad?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

C-Euro posted:

Anime is crazy.

Maybe I missed it, but did Jonathan and Erina have any kids? I know she's holding a baby at the end of Part 1, would that be Jonathan's dad?

No, the baby she's holding in her arms is Lisa Lisa. That said, at that point Erina was pregnant already with Jonathan's kid, George Joestar II, Joseph's dad.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
George being in his 60s when he died doesn't make much sense then, since Lisa Lisa was supposed to be like 50 in Battle Tendency.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He was 19 or 20.

e: thinking about it, probably closer to early 30. He definitely wasn't 60 odd.

Joseph was a baby when he died, George survived WW1. BT is 1938 and Joseph is 18 there. George will have been a late 1889 baby.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 9, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Momomo posted:

George being in his 60s when he died doesn't make much sense then, since Lisa Lisa was supposed to be like 50 in Battle Tendency.

I was referring to Papa George when I said that hence the Victorian Era england comment

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
NEW STORY UPDATE IN A MONTH WOW AMAZING

#4: Minigame Hell

Doctor's Office
The Lump
Causing a Scene 1 2 3
The Empress 1 2
Empress Defeated 1 2
Nena Revealed
Driving
Close to the Edge
Wheel of Fortune
Create Your Own Path 1 2
Wheel of Fortune Defeated
ZZ
Lol
Town of Fog
Justice
Enya Geil 1 2
The Sign-in Book
Zombies
Justice Defeated & Enya Knocked Out 1 2
Steely Dan
Dan's Power 1 2 3 4
Inside Joseph 1 2 3 4
The Lovers 1 2 3 4
Dan's Bill 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8
Out of your League 1 2 3 4
The Debt You Owe
Can't Be Paid for with Money 1 2 3
Here's Your Receipt

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I know this is a crazy situation, but that's one really gullible nurse if she believed the high pitched screaming lump over Joseph.

You are a saint for trying all these S ranks+Secrets the likes of which even the internet years later is baffled by. I remember spending WAY too much time trying to at least to "Don't get hit" runs of the QTE's when I rented this a zillion years ago, but all my Secrets were down to luck, really.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Section Z posted:

I know this is a crazy situation, but that's one really gullible nurse if she believed the high pitched screaming lump over Joseph.

I think the idea was that it called out in his voice, or a close enough approximation that she thought he was confessing. For some reason. It was small enough at that point that it didn't look like a separate entity.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Look this nurse doesn't know Joseph, he could have baby man voice.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
ANOTHER TWO WEEKS ANOTHER CHARACTER UPDATE THIS TIME EVERYONE'S FAVORITE SENILE OLD MAN

Joseph Joestar Character Video

Joseph Joestar

I forgot to put these two up last update so here they are

Justice (Enya Geil)
The Lovers (Steely Dan)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So much like in Part 3 itself, Joseph's nice but worthless. Consistency. Too bad it is for this kind of treatment on the best character.

Also it's really weird that he has Jonathan's Ripple moves, but I guess they had to fill his moveset with something. It's also super cool that you can see him breathing while he uses his Ripple stuff, and that he has the Joestar Family Secret. What isn't cool is that Hermit Purple, that looks horrible.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, the Hermit Purple Sprite is honestly pretty garish and obscures where the actual attacks hit sometimes. I would've preferred if the vines like coiled around his arm or something instead of being like tentacles that jerk around constantly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sorry I haven't updated in a minute guys. I've had the newest ep done for a little over a week now, but got really busy with a combination of work, E3, and getting loving sick. I'm hoping to have the update done by the end of this weekend and next week I should have almost a week off and plan to try and get the Pol vid done at that point. Sorry I haven't communicated anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Huge rear end update with a big rear end post about the character assets I've been forgetting to cover.

#5: Tarot Cleanup
Mechanics & Terms #3

The Desert
The Sun 1 2 3
Laughing Mad
Arabia Fats Defeated 1 2 3
Dream Land
Rude Awakening 1 2 3
A Baby 1 2
Return to Dream Land 1 2 3
Baby Stand
The Crusaders' New Nightmare
Dream Master 1 2 3
Dream Warrior 1 2
It's Punishment Time, Baby 1 2 3
Rim Shot 1 2 3
Magic Lamp
The Genie
Resurrect Sherry and Avdol
Sherry Polnareff
HAIL2U 1 2 3
Judgment
Muhammad Avdol? 1 2
YES I AM
HELL2U 1 2 3 4
Cameo Defeated 1 2 3 4 5 6
Just a Submarine
Finally
Six Cups 1 2 3
High Priestess 1 2 3 4
The Best Series of Panels in all of JoJo
Swimming to Shore
The Ocean Floor
Diamonds are not breakable 1 2 3 4
But they are crash
Midler Defeated 1 2
Hotel (Justice)
Amusement Park
Small Island

Okay, so I''m pretty behind on the asset stuff so let's talk turkey. Let's go farrrrr back two story updates ago to everyone's favorite bug-eating impostor, Rubber Soul.

Shown here is an unused special animation for Rubber Soul's lying down pose after he's beaten. Yellow Temperance starts to fall apart a bit showing Rubber Soul's actual body, but this isn't in the game. It's sort of similar to Jotaro's lying down pose in that it's a very unique animation after he's beaten, but oh well. Funny enough, there's another thing involving Rubber Soul that's a developer gag, because apparently the Capcom dev team working on this game had a sense of humor.

At first these just look like unfinished assets (They are), but the left picture shows Rubber Soul's head. There are locations in the games files that have unused sprites that only show this head similar to the red X in the right image. I guess someone on the team just thought the idea of putting Rubber Soul in some dummy files was hysterical and I can't say I disagree with him. Also this image makes it sort of obvious that they just literally dumped a new head onto Kakyoin's body, changed its color and called it a day. God bless 90s fighting game development, shout outs to Bone Wolverine and the entirety of MvC's secret characters.

So let's talk about good 'ol Hol Horse now. I love the Part 3 villains because they're like a boss squad you see in a lot of JRPGs and Hol Horse is the quintessential JoJo goon to me. It strikes me as weird they weren't able to get him in the first version of the game. JoJo's Venture, but apparently development on him began pretty late and he just has some unused portraits, name cards, and a single sprite in that game. It's strange how his in-game fight portrait changes from Venture to Bizarre Adventure since none of the other unused asset characters got that benefit, but most of them ended up being unplayable sooooo yeah. Also, there's some assets for J. Geil that implies he and Hanged Man were meant to be separate from Hol at one point since there's apparently similar playable character specific assets for him, I wonder how you would honestly get J. Geil to work as a playable character, but Capcom were pretty drat inventive around this time, so it would be interesting at the least.

Now we have Enya. These sprites were meant to be a mini-game for Venture, but I suppose they weren't able to get it done before the arcade version had to be shoved out and so they ended up doing it for the home release of Bizarre Adventure on PS1 which is ultimately just Venture but with extra characters unlike Bizarre Adventure for Dreamcast. Enya doesn't have any of the victory titles that other characters have so she was never meant to be playable more than likely, but it's pretty funny that she at least seemed to make mini-boss status in their eyes and lost out to other stand users.

Death 13 was very likely meant to be a playable character. Mostly due to the fact Capcom always had a habit of letting you control everything that was in their games no matter how busted it would've been, but also because of this win screen he has. These are exclusively for playable characters which makes it very easy to tell who was meant to be playable at some point in development and who was not. Also there is actually a video on youtube of someone hacking into the game and making Death 13 playable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmCIROqC10k

Read that dude's description if you want to see the myriad of bugs and moves he has, it seems like he was meant to be playable but probably didn't make it past someone for approval.

Now we have our genie, Judgment. He has many of the same assets to suggest he was a planned playable character at one point and then it seems like they folded his assets into the mini-boss fight you saw this update. I would've had to wonder how the hell they were gonna make that work given all Cameo does is sit underground and drink piss, but if the next character is any indication they would've found a way. Also the last image is very similar to Death 13's boss titles you get after you trigger his boss fight in arcade mode. It seems like a lot of cooks in the kitchen is the name of the game when it comes to JoJo game development, because this game would've had like four mini-bosses between Enya, Cameo, Death 13, and a character from the next update.

Now finally, let's talk about Midler one of the most non-characters from the boss squad in Part 3. She legit had about four lines of actual dialogue, was beaten unceremoniously, and you never saw her face or even her body that well and Capcom thought "Let's make her a playable character." and then somehow convinced Araki to make a design for her. He then combined Yukako from Part 4 and Rose from SF Alpha and made this and I love this fuckin design, because it's so outlandishly sexy it rolls right back around to being great. The loving pasties, veil, and pump heels are all so tacky and dumb on their own, but the combination of all of them makes it seem like Araki looked at the game's cast and thought "what does a fighting game character look like?" and put this out. It's especially funny if she is actually inspired by Rose, because that brings this poo poo full circle since Rose is basically Lisa Lisa. Also this is her canon design, it was featured in Araki's art book JoJo a Gogo where she and Mariah are getting it on with Dio. That's kinda spoilers showing off Mariah, but I'm willing to put that one out there, because I don't wanna come back to this too much. This game did turn Midler into a really great character and I can't wait to do her character video and show off all of the nonsense she does.

Also the colored manga scans that were dumped by Jump a while ago try to color the dress Midler has to the game Midler's color palette, but the anime just didn't seem to bother. Not that the anime didn't do that for other characters, but it felt kinda strange they accounted for a lot of stuff that happened in between the decades this manga dropped and the anime did.

The Sun (Arabia Fats)
Death 13 (Mannish Boy)
Judgment (Cameo)
Midler

• Locked thread