Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
Jojo is basically a parody of the shounen genre, which often explains attacks out loud, even when they're super easy to see and understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Steelpudding posted:

Jojo is basically a parody of the shounen genre, which often explains attacks out loud, even when they're super easy to see and understand.

I don't think its a parody at all.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think its a parody at all.

Don't tell me that the "ora ora ora" isn't a parody of Fist of the North Star.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Steelpudding posted:

Don't tell me that the "ora ora ora" isn't a parody of Fist of the North Star.

I think rapid punches from big buff men is just a characteristic shared across the genre.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rapid Punches go back p far and even though Araki takes inspiration from FotNS (A lot of it) the rapid fire punches ended up becoming iconic of JoJo than FotNS, not that a lot of stuff doesn't use it now.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Part 1 was pretty much FotNS, replacing magic kung fu with magic...uh..karate? Part 2 is where Araki hits his own pace and stride.

As for talking of Jojo as parody, it most definitely isnt. It's quite self aware though, Roundabout part 4 Araki starts to feel multitudes of muscled up macho men are a design dead end and starts working with more varied forms, and the powers start to get less direct combat powerups and more weird rear end powers like compression of space or being a malignant possessed pylon. (which they then use to beat up people better but thats beside the point)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 16, 2016

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
Okay, maybe parody is a bit of an overstatement, but there are so many things that are far from serious that I don't know even where to begin. Some are borderline parody.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

FotNS, Jojos and Saint Seiya are pretty much the granddaddies of the genre.

I think the term you're looking for steelpudding is Camp.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Baal posted:

HEY IT'S A VILLAIN CHARACTER

Devo Character Video

Some great musical choices in this vid, especially the first and last tracks :allears:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I want everyone to know that I'm not gonna update for like a week because P5 is eating my life

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Persona 5 was Part 9 all along. I can't believe it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There will be an update coming this week to let everyone know I'm alive also because I'll have finished P5 by the time it's up

It probably won't be very long tho

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I lied, it was actually a week and a half

#8: Bastet & Sethan
Mechanics & Terms #5: Combos

Joseph comes across an electrical socket
It goes how you would expect
Mariah
Bastet 1 2 3 4
Chasing Mariah
Magnetism 1 2 3
Train Tracks 1 2
Mariah Wins
Nah
Mariah Gets Pissed
Bolts 1 2 3 4
Pinned Down 1 2
Mariah Defeated 1 2
Meanwhile with Polnareff and Jotaro
Alessi
Tailing Polnareff
Poorly 1 2
Shadow Stand 1 2
Sethan
Picking on the Weak 1 2 3 4
Silver Chariot? 1 2
An Ax to Grind 1 2 3
Alessi chases down Polnareff
Locked In 1 2 3
Polnareff Disappeared
The Aquarium 1 2 3
Things going from bad...
...To worse
Kid Jotaro 1 2 3
Still a monster
Alessi Defeated
Alessi Annihilated 1 2

Alright, so Mariah fight let's go! I actually love the Mariah fight a lot, mostly because it's a very comedic fight, but it's against a stand user you get very scarce sightings of at first. Most of Joseph confronting Mariah ends in him cutting his chase short due to getting magnetized to stuff or trying to find her and catching other people on accident. It's not until the last few chapters or so he actually confronts Mariah and even then she's still not helpless like a lot of other stand users who try to keep distance from the group (Nena, Oingo Boingo, & J. Geil). Cutting up electrical lines that would track immediately towards Joseph and Avdol, hiding Bolts in her bra, and even just dumping more poo poo on them to last out her magnetism longer and make it stronger. It's also topped off with some pretty good gags and Avdol being a pretty hilarious foil to Joseph, they didn't get paired enough despite being introduced in Part 3 together.

So let's talk about Bastet, an Egyptian goddess who was the defender of the Pharaoh and later, Ra. She is not particularly a goddess of much, but if I were to say she has domain over anything, the consistent interpretation seems to be that she is a Goddess of Lions and Cats, chiefly. She is constantly characterized as a warrior lioness, she has the features of a cat, and most of the symbols and statues created in her name is of lions. This is consistent also with Mariah's personality where she remains cool and collected for the most part with a large air of arrogance to her,. However, once a threat becomes legitimate (Such as when Joseph and Avdol actually survive the train), she immediately goes loving nuts and stops at nothing to outright kill both of them in the most horrid fashion she can conceive, when before she was content with letting them end up in a scenario where they did far from her. Bast as a stand is also given the same image that the goddess herself is consistently given and even in Heritage she shows up during Mariah's blocking animation to show that is actually what the stand looks like.

As far as the power of Magnetism goes, it's actually kind of consistent with Bast, but not in the way you'd think. One of the items Bast is seen holding in most images of her is a Sistrum. A sistrum is an instrument with metal rods that is meant to be shaken back and forth to create noise. It looks a bit different than the image I put in Bast's card, but it's definitely meant to be the same instrument. This sort of rattling sound can be compared to a magnet dragging metal around to create a similar effect. I won't say that it's definitely the thing that inspired Araki to make a magnetism inspired stand, but it probably helped him come up with how this stand was gonna work somewhat. That being said, around the time of Stardust Crusaders, Araki was also writing about Nikola Tesla which made him very interested in electromagnetism, so it could very much just be that as well and Bast happened to get tacked on due to being associated with metal somewhat.

Let's talk about Alessi and Sethan now. Alessi is a fight I enjoy, but it's definitely the weakest of the Egyptian God encounters. It's sort of samey and its villain is pretty drat one note even if he can be sort of hilariously villainous. A lot of people don't like this fight and it's a pretty gross fight, but at the same time that's what makes it stand out. Most of the Egyptian God users are people who are arrogant, strong, or downright terrifying. Alessi is none of these, except arrogant, but that's more a situational arrogance. He's very similar to Steely Dan in that way. His arrogance only lasts up to when he's in a bad spot and then he starts to turn tail and run crying. Even Hol Horse ran away with more dignity than someone like Alessi does. His big deal is though is that beating the poo poo out of children makes him feel like a big, strong man. This is very much meant to characterize him as not only a coward, creep, and pathetic man, but just a generally unpleasant person altogether. I'm not gonna be one of those guys who says "That's the point," because statements like those aren't really getting into what peoples problems are, but it is a factor in the fight and character. It's largely a pretty simple story about a dude who's just an rear end in a top hat bully who picks on the wrong person and eats poo poo for his terrible personality. It's very basic, but I enjoy it even if it does get really gross in places.

Moving on to Sethan, Egyptian God of Storms, Deserts, Violence, and a bunch of other nasty stuff. Despite his qualifications, Set is not meant to be a god of any sort of negative influence. He is an ally of Ra and assists him in repelling the chaos serpent, Apep. Also you see me referring to him as Set, but that's to distinguish the god and the stand. Sethan is another name used to refer to Set, but they are ultimately the same god. Set would later turn out to be a not so great guy though, getting into a feud with Horus that lasted forever and being responsible for the murder of his father, Osiris. It was a giant mess that is pretty hilarious and stupid and Set would later go on to be demonized by certain groups of Egypt. Now, I don't really know how to characterize his relation to Alessi or even his power, really. Nothing that relates to Set could really be related to deaging people or having shadows pop out or even Alessi's awful personality. It's just sort of a stand that got attached to him to cover another god Araki knew, I guess. Even the ax he has isn't something shown with any depiction of Set. The only thing I can conceivably relate is an episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog where Muriel getting sucked into a tornado turns her into a child and that was made in 2000, well after this ever happened and I don't even know what the relation between those two things is other than it's a kids show. It's a drat good kids show though and that episode is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC-avN1eDoQ

Mariah (Bastet)
Alessi (Sethan)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Character Video Update, it's not done processing yet, but it should be done pretty soon. I would've waited to post this but I have to head to work rn, so just give it a few before you watch, tia.

Hol Horse Character Video

Also here's one of my favorite Hol Horse related videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geIH4iM-qqo

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 27, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hol Horse's animations are great and I love them. He's really one of Part 3's best characters and I'm glad he gets the love he deserves even if he's mediocre.

Also you seem to complain a lot about him not being the best, but Hol Horse wouldn't want to be top of the tier list to begin with. Being #2 is better than being #1.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't mind it too much, I just find it funny that even with a move as broken as his unblockable super he's still mediocre. It's just a perfect testament to what kind of character he is and what kind of game HftF is.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Oh hey is it Hol Horse time already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsoMG1J7fEA

He may want to remain number 2, but he'll always be #1 in my heart.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Does Alessi do more damage when the opponent is a kid? His stance changes from "creeper" to "big bully" when the transformation is in effect. I don't know if that changes anything with his moves.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He moves faster when the opponent is in kid mode and they can't block iirc. I'll check if he does more damage at that point though when I get around to doing his vid.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Having just finished watching Stardust Crusaders, I'm hype as hell for this LP. How do tiers ultimately end up functioning in this game? Is it like an ArcSys game where the tiers are ultimately small differences and everyone's capable of beating everyone, or are there huge gaps in power?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Unknown Quantity posted:

Having just finished watching Stardust Crusaders, I'm hype as hell for this LP. How do tiers ultimately end up functioning in this game? Is it like an ArcSys game where the tiers are ultimately small differences and everyone's capable of beating everyone, or are there huge gaps in power?

Tiers seem to be BANNED>Kakyoin>Active Stand Users>Weapon Stand Users>Passive Stand Users>???

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 7, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll go more in-depth with it as I talk about more characters, but that's mostly right

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Robindaybird posted:

FotNS, Jojos and Saint Seiya are pretty much the granddaddies of the genre.

I think the term you're looking for steelpudding is Camp.

I do feel like around Part 4, Araki does a few storylines that are deliberately taking the piss. i.e.

These people are playing Rock, Paper, Scissors. They are flying up in the air and striking dramatic poses. It's hard for me to believe that this was intended to be taken 100% straight-faced.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP1arj7AYuI

#9: The Gambler
Mechanics & Terms #6: Combo structure and analysis

Looking for clues
Mysterious Dealer 1 2
D'Arby the Gambler
A Bet Can Be Anything 1 2
Polnareff's In
The Cat goes...
Left
Osiris 1 2 3 4
Daniel J. D'arby
Joseph's Turn 1 2 3 4
Coin Game 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Joseph Gives Up 1 2 3
Jotaro Steps Up
Open the Game!
Opening Deal 1 2 3 4 5 6
Raising the Stakes 1 2 3
First Game 1 2 3 4 5 6
Dealing Second Game 1 2 3
The Art of Raising 1 2 3 4
Betting on the Bluff 1 2 1 2
The Current Bet
I'll Raise 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D'Arby's Hand
Jotaro's Hand
D'Arby defeated
Hol Horse Returns
With his Luggage
Hol and Boingo tail the group
Polnareff's Missing
Wait no he's right here
Who's in the box?!
What the hell do I do now? 1 2
We Found You!
Sending a Message 1 2 3
Hol is Unlucky 1 2 3 4
Or maybe not
Pipes 1 2
You Know What Time It Is 1 2
Okay nevermind, Hol's got anti-luck
The Bullets Redirect 1 2
Boingo turns over a new leaf 1 2
Sorry kid, life's not that easy 1 2
Hol Horse and Boingo defeated
D'Arby Game Sprites (Made by Magma Dragoon a long rear end time ago)

I feel like I don't really need to speak about this one to people who are familiar with JoJo. It's one of the series, most iconic characters and fights. More than any other villain, D'Arby exemplifies what characterizes JoJo's Bizarre Adventure as a whole. He is a character that is very cunning, calculating, and affable. From the first minute the Crusaders walk into the Cafe, he's already got them in his trap. However, his trap is not an attack, it is a trap of desperation. They have spent forever trying to find Dio's Mansion and are at their wits end. He uses this info to engage them in a battle of wits, but the battle of wits seems like a 50/50 chance. It is at this point he has got them in his hooks as the 50/50 turned out to be a 100/0. He tells the angered Avdol that Polnareff shouldn't have discounted the possibilities that could've arose from this and he has a perfectly reasonable point. D'Arby is absolutely willing to cheat and lie his way to victory and it's not because he's a villain, it's because that's how victory of the human mind works to him. His stand's not a factor in his games, it is merely the reward for his victories. This is what makes him such a memorable character, because he proves to be such an insane threat to the Crusaders. He puts two of them down and puts the rest of them in a losing state that is won because his opponent beat him at his own game. This is all without approaching them with any sort of violence whatsoever, he does this through a very steel pokerface.

This also ties into Jotaro a little bit too. This fight cements a lot of things about Jotaro, mostly what kind of person he is. From the moment he engages in his altercation with D'Arby, he does not treat him like a joke like Polnareff or try to outsmart him with fancy tricks like Joseph, he treats D'Arby like he is a genuine threat and should not be given any chance to do anything he wants to do. It makes you realize how necessary Jotaro is to the group beyond just being the main character, he doesn't gently caress around. Kakyoin is the only other person able to hold his own with Jotaro in being as cold and stonefaced and even he will at points drop that because he's actually a pretty weird dude. Jotaro is the only one who could step up to someone like D'Arby and stand a chance because he will not allow himself to be put in the situations the others could. So as soon as the game starts he breaks D'Arby's finger seeing him cheat, immediately gets another person, and even runs his decision to throw up Avdol's soul as a bet by Avdol, because he knows this is their last chance. It is as this moment Jotaro has not looked at his cards, since he knows in a straight up poker game he is going to lose. His only real chance of winning is to bluff D'Arby into being intimidated by him and a sword of Damocles in the form of Dio killing him should he fail. He puts D'Arby in a spot where he can't risk the possibility of losing and scare's the everloving poo poo out of him to the point of him passing out. All of this was done with a cigarette, some juice, and Star Platinum being really fast. The idea that SP is so fast that D'Arby could have maybe not noticed it switch cards was too real to him and Jotaro didn't even have to actually touch his cards at any point to do that. It also lets you know Jotaro isn't unflappable because his fear about having seen his cards during his bluff is a funny thing to note.

All in all this is a great fight and D'Arby''s stand plays such a small factor in it. Speaking of which, D'Arby's stand is Osiris, the Egyptian God of the Afterlife, the Underworld, and the Dead. This one is a pretty easy comparison since Osiris is after all pretty inherently associated with souls due to his station as an Post-Mortem based God and D'Arby's stand allows him to reincarnate souls into Poker Chips, something Osiris himself could've done. Reincarnate souls, I mean, not the poker chips thing. The Egyptians didn't play poker, as far as I know.

I don't see this fight get a lot of love and I don't know why because it's honestly one of my favorites. It tells a really fun villain story about a Born Again Hol Horse and a Revenge-Seeking Boingo. Hol having just gone to talk to DIO about his own utter failure and getting a little dose of DIO's strength gained not only respect for the man, but faith in himself to fight for DIO. This does not come with ease though as Hol is partnered with another loser, Boingo. Both of these two know what it means to be humiliated and lose to people to you hate. It makes for a weird dynamic between the two, because they slowly grow to appreciate one another's abilities and it makes it feel kind of inspiring... until you remember they're the friggin' villains. Hol Horse throughout the entire fight is scared for his life. This is the first time Hol's had to work with someone as unusual as Boingo. He doesn't understand his power, it seems ridiculous to him even when it works, and he gets tired of having to put up with his aggressive anxiety. Hol only ever went out to publicize himself when he had to be the one to attract his opponent's attention so the actual power of the team could deal with them as he provides backup. Hol now has to be the power of the team, because Tohth isn't a stand that will allow Hol to hide behind its power, he has to get in potential danger if he wants to win. However, Hol begins to trust Boingo over time, not only seeing how true the clairvoyance of Tohth is, but also how confident Boingo is in them. He genuinely trusts this child and almost succeeds, but fails due to something as simple as his watch being too fast.

On the otherside of the team, there is Boingo, a nothing kid who got beaten up and forgotten. He has come back to take revenge on the Crusaders for his brother, Oingo's, condition. From what is told to use though, Boingo was refusing to go with Hol at first and had to be thrown into baggage to even make it here. He sees his opportunity for revenge and takes it even though his teammate is someone he's absolutely terrified of. Hol locked him in luggage and still treated him like poo poo and doubted him for a good minute. Over time though as Hol begins to realize Boingo's actual strength, Boingo sees the things Hol can do too and begins to stop being scared of him and come up to him to pass him more readings from the book. it makes Boingo more of a character than he initially seems and in the conclusion of it all he grows and sees that through Oingo and Hol's failures that violence against others isn't how he should be living his life and using his powers, but to help others. It's a lesson Boingo learned and he's become a better person for it... until the harsh truth of reality appears in the form of Iggy and reminds him, life isn't that easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0wXJiWG70E

Daniel J. D'Arby (Osiris) -Cat Game-
Daniel J. D'Arby (Osiris) -Coin Game-
Daniel J. D'Arby (Osiris) -Poker Game-

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also OP has been updated to include all links to all updates now, idk why I kept forgetting to do that but people should be able to just look at the op for anything to link them to. Sorry about that.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
This LP is fascinating to me as someone who grew up never playing Japanese-style fighting games. Across my childhood I only in a few rare instances got to play MVC2, KOF98, Tekken Tag Tournament and never once did I ever get to play Street Fighter until this semester when I found out my college has it on their PS4s. The only fighter of the type I have any experience with is P4 Arena/Ultimax.

Until they came out, I was raised on Mortal Kombat, a series without cancels, with a dedicated block button, a dedicated run button, significantly higher chip damage, and every move in a combo needing to play its entire animation out to link from one to the next. It instilled a very different mindset for fighting games for me, especially once you got to Deadly Alliance through Armageddon, where there was a 3D plane to work with and stances to work with. MK I feel is a significantly more aggressive style of fighting game than most other fighters, where it punishes you for being too cautious due to the higher chip damage and the fact that you can't tech throws. Moreover, Deception especially has most of its combos baked into the move list, so rather than having to experiment with what connects and what doesn't, it usually involves using whichever string is the best for the situation, with the real improv coming from what to do for your juggle combo.

To this day, the fact that I only played MK (and Soul Calibur II, which has a lot of similarities in that it relies on links and has dedicated block buttons) severely fucks with my ability to play other fighters because cancels were never a thing, holding back to block wasn't a thing, supers weren't a thing until 9 and X (which I haven't played), and most of all they were 4-button games. Switching from 4 buttons to 6, especially when you have no arcade experience and no arcade stick, can be a major hurdle to get over. That being said, I find myself going back and trying some of these fighters I didn't get to play before, and while Street Fighter and basically every Capcom fighter in existence is a lost cause that is way too complex for me, King of Fighters has been surprisingly easy to just pick up and play.

Anyway, to sum it all up, it's very interesting seeing a fairly lengthy analysis of concepts and mechanics that I never learned about and seeing how I might be able to apply them to other games I get in the future. It might even get me to buy another fighting game (after MKA, I bought P4A, P4U, then just kinda gave up once the audience for them died) and give the genre as a whole another shot.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Lamprey Cannon posted:

I do feel like around Part 4, Araki does a few storylines that are deliberately taking the piss. i.e.

These people are playing Rock, Paper, Scissors. They are flying up in the air and striking dramatic poses. It's hard for me to believe that this was intended to be taken 100% straight-faced.

Do not impugn the King's Sport.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's nice to hear that someone's enjoying the fighting game vids I'm putting up and I'm not just a crazy person for how I make these vids. It feels really weird looking at the random youtube comments I'll get sometimes about people saying they got interested in the game through my vids or fighting games through the same vids in general. I just don't know how to feel about that since I just put these up to talk about a game I liked to some goons, but it's nice to see that my videos are causing any interest at all.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
D'Arby is definitely one of my favourite villains in the series, and you've perfectly explained how that is.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

My main gripe with anime fighting games (and increasingly other genres of fighting game too) is that they feel made by fighting game players for fighting game players.
Hella weird inputs, obscure mechanics, character stats and gimmicks, whole buncha poo poo to remember essentially.
It makes high tier play completely alien to low tier play, and it locks all this cool looking poo poo behind a very steep curve.

Also some committed the greatest sins I think you can make in a fighting game. Making characters operate wildly differently between games.

Looking at you Siegfried. Your triangle triangle triangle was my bread and butter in soul edge. Now you need some wussy stances to do anything.

E:what im saying is im a filthy 3d fighter lover and wish there were more of them.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 15, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

There's an ongoing discussion about the perceived difficulty of getting into fighting games right now in the main fighting game thread, and old man Zand summed it up nicely:

Zand posted:

yes I do remember and the amount of time spent learning was nothing compared to the time I spent learning league and then dota2. i spent well over 2000 hrs learning dota2, a game with way more variables than an fg, and much more difficult to discern a path to getting good.

fgs being difficult is a mindset thing and overall a meme that's gone way too far.

edit... the way people look at learning an fg is "work" generally but once you view it that way you've already lost. people view grinding the trenches of league of legends to be "playing the game" for whatever reason

It's very much a mindset thing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
When I rented this ages ago, I accidentally got the poker game "Do it like the anime!" secret factor by way of having no loving clue how poker works :downs:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

There's an ongoing discussion about the perceived difficulty of getting into fighting games right now in the main fighting game thread, and old man Zand summed it up nicely:

It's very much a mindset thing.
Filthy casual theory on mindsets incoming.

I'll admit part of why I dropped off SMITE way back when I was playing was when they adjusted the items situation from dirt simple with not a million choices, to assorted branching results or whatever that practically doubled how many items I had to think about. And even when I've got the mindset and chance to be able to sit down for Moba land... I just think about needing a wiki's worth of knowledge for just the most basic mechanics and :geno: takes over my desire to smash Cupid in the face with Thor's hammer.

Fighting games need way less situational flowcharts. Though I think as much it really is down to the button inputs and speed of button inputs too for Perceived/Real difficulty.

It's easier to try and fake your way through "click button for single ability or basic attacks" land on a basic level. While if you can't frame perfect parry into a five hit combo that needs twice as many total inputs both directional and face button into an off the ground launcher- you get the idea.

But the most IMPORTANT part of that mindset gap rather than gameplay gap? It's more heavily having to blame yourself if you gently caress up your fighting game inputs than if you gently caress up in a MOBA :v:

Because between all the annoying "Ugh, sorry I'm not a frame perfect robot" moments are many, MANY more moments of you just plain loving up inputs. I'm garbage at casually busting out Dragon Punch motions when I'm facing to the left, compared to when I'm facing to the right, for example (If at least self aware enough to know it's my own loving fault). Then Throw in the fact fighting games are generally 1vs1 rather than "I can spread the blame if we lose!", even if you are on a horrible losing streak with everyone calling you worse than Joseph Stalin.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Badly-made counterpoint/opinion below.

The main thing about a fighter to me is that the learning curve is basically a brick wall. The AI in most fighters is extremely basic and not even remotely representative of you'll face fighting other players. You don't learn the basics especially well fighting the CPU, and then you try applying it in matchmaking and if your opponent is massively over skilled compared to you but simply hasn't played enough matches to show it, you don't learn anything. In a close fight you can figure out what went wrong and adapt your strategy. In a complete shutout all that happens is you feel like a confused lump of garbage.

You can't even really say "take it easy on me" because folks who regularly play fighters can't take it easy, if only because, just out of habit, they've learned behaviors that can't be easily ignored, and when they start losing, the competitive nature of the fight inevitably makes them go back to semipro mode and stomp the person they were supposed to be teaching the basics. To that end, you're given the paradox that if you want to learn the basics you need to practice it alone, but if you want to apply your basics and improve, you need to face other people. If you don't have other people of similar skill level to you, you'll never improve. Until online matchmaking, fighters were basically impossible to really get into for folks in certain locations due to lack of competition.

TL;DR fighters require either a good matchmaking system or a circle of friends of similar skill to actually get good at unless you're a masochist.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Unknown Quantity posted:

Badly-made counterpoint/opinion below.

The main thing about a fighter to me is that the learning curve is basically a brick wall. The AI in most fighters is extremely basic and not even remotely representative of you'll face fighting other players. You don't learn the basics especially well fighting the CPU, and then you try applying it in matchmaking and if your opponent is massively over skilled compared to you but simply hasn't played enough matches to show it, you don't learn anything. In a close fight you can figure out what went wrong and adapt your strategy. In a complete shutout all that happens is you feel like a confused lump of garbage.

You can't even really say "take it easy on me" because folks who regularly play fighters can't take it easy, if only because, just out of habit, they've learned behaviors that can't be easily ignored, and when they start losing, the competitive nature of the fight inevitably makes them go back to semipro mode and stomp the person they were supposed to be teaching the basics. To that end, you're given the paradox that if you want to learn the basics you need to practice it alone, but if you want to apply your basics and improve, you need to face other people. If you don't have other people of similar skill level to you, you'll never improve. Until online matchmaking, fighters were basically impossible to really get into for folks in certain locations due to lack of competition.

TL;DR fighters require either a good matchmaking system or a circle of friends of similar skill to actually get good at unless you're a masochist.

Oh, I can totally agree with that. I'm not exactly "Good" at either genre.

I was thinking more in broad strokes "Why so many people are willing to throw themselves into the MOBA toxic waste pool while still being willing to point out fighting games hurdles" stuff.

Which is more about why many people are willing to overlook Difficulty A, but not Difficulty B from an immediate gameplay standpoint. Even if trying to consider Getting Good at punchmans would (hopefully) need less of an open wiki page in my lap.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 16, 2016

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm really,really hoping they let you play totally-not-F-Zero later on :allears:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I just plain can't do the inputs required for most of the attacks, especially when I tried playing this game. They seem even more complicated then usual and the pictures just make it even more confusing. Trying to play against someone else is just an exercise in frustration since my hands just can't keep up. It's nice to see your vids about how these games work but to be honest, there are just so many terms that I end up still getting a little lost a lot of the time. This isn't really unique to fighting games though, since my experience with competitive shooters involves me having no idea where anyone else is, just to get killed from behind.

Captain Baal posted:

All in all this is a great fight and D'Arby''s stand plays such a small factor in it. Speaking of which, D'Arby's stand is Osiris, the Egyptian God of the Afterlife, the Underworld, and the Dead. This one is a pretty easy comparison since Osiris is after all pretty inherently associated with souls due to his station as an Post-Mortem based God and D'Arby's stand allows him to reincarnate souls into Poker Chips, something Osiris himself could've done. Reincarnate souls, I mean, not the poker chips thing. The Egyptians didn't play poker, as far as I know.

No, but they did play Yugioh, of course. Also, I'm a bit disappointed Hol Horse's grab isn't shoving his fingers up the opponent's nose.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's because it's one of Hol and Boingo's supers.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

IMJack posted:

Does Alessi do more damage when the opponent is a kid? His stance changes from "creeper" to "big bully" when the transformation is in effect. I don't know if that changes anything with his moves.

Alessi uses a whole new set of non-stand normal moves when the transformation is in effect. However, with his stand on the far normal moves are the same as when his opponent is not transformed and do the same amounts of damage.

Mostly though, when the opponent is transformed, you're going to be wanting to use his non-stand dash attack because it does a chunk of damage, has a good hitbox, and, because they can't block while transformed, can "combo" the opponent.

There are actually an astounding amount of intricacies to the transformation system but most of them are ignored during actual matches because the best thing for Alessi to do 90% of the time is Dash C -> Dash C -> Dash C xx 41236 A/B/C, and the best thing for the opponent to do is hold up back and hope you screw-up.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Momomo posted:

No, but they did play Yugioh, of course. Also, I'm a bit disappointed Hol Horse's grab isn't shoving his fingers up the opponent's nose.

Hol tried to do this half a dozen times in the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's a character video I finished like a week ago but got killed by work so had no time to put the move names in the vid until today, tia.

Midler Character Video

• Locked thread