Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
I miss my internet friends.

Many years ago I joined SomethingAwfuls Goonfleet in the game EvE Online. For those not familiar with game it is an economy/space warfare simulator that is known for its ridiculous learning curve and unforgiving nature. This is the kind of game where programmers, people who are really good at spreadsheets, and scammers flourish. I am neither of those things and only through the efforts of Goonfleet to hand hold newbees was I able to play the game at a level that was more interesting than frustrating.

One of the systems used by Goonfleet to organize its members and maintain a mentoring system was to place goons into squads. I'm not sure how the mechanics of the squad placement actually worked but I ended up in Pi Squad. Squads had their own subforums, chat, and voice communications as well as resources alloted to the Squad commander to dole out as needed. How squads were run and what was expected of its members was very dependant on the leader and members themselves. Pi squad was never the most organized squad, we all just kind of did our own thing.

Pi squad turned out to have a few Canadians in it; Dorf Gulfer*, Simon Belmont*, and myself. (*names changed because) After sometime together we learned that Dorf and I lived in the same city and that Simon was planning to move here for the job market. Simon ended up moving here and living in my basement for quite sometime. Once Simon had settled in and it seemed that neither of us were serial killers, we made arrangements to meet up with Dorf.

Our first online video squad meet-up was a private pre-screening of Spiderman 3 in a small town just outside of our city which had been setup by one of my co-workers. Dorfs mom dropped him off at my house and thus the three nerdy, out-of-shape white males met. Except for that lovely movie it went well. The only memorable thing about it is that Dorf, afraid of being robbed and raped, hid emergency money and ID in his sock. We found this out when he went to pay for something and had to take off his shoes.

Other than being white male nerds in Canada, we didn't have a lot in common. Our love for video games, bad movies, and take out kept us friends. But we were also all goons and of course had social/mental problems. We had a wonderful habit of turning on each other and tearing apart each others faults. Some of this was misunderstanding and some of this was deliberate.

Economic downturn had forced Simon to another city when his job moved there. Fortunately there was still contracts here and he would travel back and stay with me. Dorf during this time tried living in my basement but did not find it to his liking. Still we chatted on Pi squad chat (even though I don't think anybody we knew still played EvE at this time) and got together whenever we could.

One day while Simon was in town, we all got together for the day with a friend of mine who had become friends with Simon and Dorf. I don't know what it was about that day but Simon and Dorf were just giving my friend and I poo poo. It was like they were trolling us all day and they didn't stop even when we told them it had passed a point for us. It culminated in our non-goon friend breaking down crying and hiding in my room because they would just not give it a rest that day. I wanted to punch them in the face, I told them to leave my house instead.

Yes this was cruel but it also wasn't. Simon and Dorf are very intelligent people with good jobs and decent money. Dorf had his own apartment with which Simon could stay with him for the night. Dorf is a slob and I am sure his place is gross (he never invited us over) but it was an option. Finally there are a bunch of reasonably priced hotels/motels near me that I am pretty sure Simons work would reimburse since he was there on business. I wasn't throwing them out in the cold by any means.

I thought a few days of cooling off and this would blow over. Nope. We are goons and we took to Pi squad chat ripping each other apart for any offence we could think of over the years we knew each other. That only ended when Dorf banned me from Pi chat only to have his moderator status revoked and me invited back. It didn't matter, this seemed to bring an end to the few remaining members of a group that no longer played the game that brought us together and the friendships it created. There was a couple of situations over the years where we met again but all attempts at reconciliation failed.

We were an odd bunch but we truly became friends. We had good times and we had bad times. I am writing this because I still have the Jane (Firefly) toque that Simons mom knitted for me and if that isn't a reason to try again then gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
Just one real quick question for you, op.

Is Dorf's name actually Dork?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

HAmbONE posted:

Many years ago I joined SomethingAwfuls Goonfleet in the game EvE Online. For those not familiar with game it is an economy/space warfare simulator that is known for its ridiculous learning curve and unforgiving nature. This is the kind of game where programmers, people who are really good at spreadsheets, and scammers flourish. I am neither of those things and only through the efforts of Goonfleet to hand hold newbees was I able to play the game at a level that was more interesting than frustrating.

One of the systems used by Goonfleet to organize its members and maintain a mentoring system was to place goons into squads. I'm not sure how the mechanics of the squad placement actually worked but I ended up in Pi Squad. Squads had their own subforums, chat, and voice communications as well as resources alloted to the Squad commander to dole out as needed. How squads were run and what was expected of its members was very dependant on the leader and members themselves. Pi squad was never the most organized squad, we all just kind of did our own thing.

Pi squad turned out to have a few Canadians in it; Dorf Gulfer*, Simon Belmont*, and myself. (*names changed because) After sometime together we learned that Dorf and I lived in the same city and that Simon was planning to move here for the job market. Simon ended up moving here and living in my basement for quite sometime. Once Simon had settled in and it seemed that neither of us were serial killers, we made arrangements to meet up with Dorf.

Our first online video squad meet-up was a private pre-screening of Spiderman 3 in a small town just outside of our city which had been setup by one of my co-workers. Dorfs mom dropped him off at my house and thus the three nerdy, out-of-shape white males met. Except for that lovely movie it went well. The only memorable thing about it is that Dorf, afraid of being robbed and raped, hid emergency money and ID in his sock. We found this out when he went to pay for something and had to take off his shoes.

Other than being white male nerds in Canada, we didn't have a lot in common. Our love for video games, bad movies, and take out kept us friends. But we were also all goons and of course had social/mental problems. We had a wonderful habit of turning on each other and tearing apart each others faults. Some of this was misunderstanding and some of this was deliberate.

Economic downturn had forced Simon to another city when his job moved there. Fortunately there was still contracts here and he would travel back and stay with me. Dorf during this time tried living in my basement but did not find it to his liking. Still we chatted on Pi squad chat (even though I don't think anybody we knew still played EvE at this time) and got together whenever we could.

One day while Simon was in town, we all got together for the day with a friend of mine who had become friends with Simon and Dorf. I don't know what it was about that day but Simon and Dorf were just giving my friend and I poo poo. It was like they were trolling us all day and they didn't stop even when we told them it had passed a point for us. It culminated in our non-goon friend breaking down crying and hiding in my room because they would just not give it a rest that day. I wanted to punch them in the face, I told them to leave my house instead.

Yes this was cruel but it also wasn't. Simon and Dorf are very intelligent people with good jobs and decent money. Dorf had his own apartment with which Simon could stay with him for the night. Dorf is a slob and I am sure his place is gross (he never invited us over) but it was an option. Finally there are a bunch of reasonably priced hotels/motels near me that I am pretty sure Simons work would reimburse since he was there on business. I wasn't throwing them out in the cold by any means.

I thought a few days of cooling off and this would blow over. Nope. We are goons and we took to Pi squad chat ripping each other apart for any offence we could think of over the years we knew each other. That only ended when Dorf banned me from Pi chat only to have his moderator status revoked and me invited back. It didn't matter, this seemed to bring an end to the few remaining members of a group that no longer played the game that brought us together and the friendships it created. There was a couple of situations over the years where we met again but all attempts at reconciliation failed.

We were an odd bunch but we truly became friends. We had good times and we had bad times. I am writing this because I still have the Jane (Firefly) toque that Simons mom knitted for me and if that isn't a reason to try again then gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

This is extremely cool and interesting

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

Smellrose

Libelous Slander posted:

No, but i did put a little thought into the fake names though

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No one wants to be friends with you

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

HAmbONE posted:

https://youtu.be/tH2w6Oxx0kQ?t=18s

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

Smellrose

Volume posted:

No one wants to be friends with you

I wouldn't say I am anti-social but I am certainly not highly social. I have a small group of friends and a larger group of acquaintances. Social media is not really my thing so once we stop physically meeting that relationship tends to disappear.

These guys were my friends and I think there is potential to be friends again. I just wanted to throw it out there one last time and this is my best chance of them getting the message.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Just do what I do, find friends with a drunk Canadian. Those folks will grind in mmo games for hours.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

HAmbONE posted:

I wouldn't say I am anti-social but I am certainly not highly social. I have a small group of friends and a larger group of acquaintances. Social media is not really my thing so once we stop physically meeting that relationship tends to disappear.

These guys were my friends and I think there is potential to be friends again. I just wanted to throw it out there one last time and this is my best chance of them getting the message.

Things are definitely harder on the social side of things when you aren't high functioning, op.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

HAmbONE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etWTIPMan_A

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

Smellrose

Libelous Slander posted:

Things are definitely harder on the social side of things when you aren't high functioning, op.

I am by no means mentally nor socially disabled. I will admit that Simon and Dorf are smarter than me in all things related to: computers, programming, advanced math, and electronics. I could kick their rear end at any sport though. I am not a jock, just open to sports

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Jesus, I read that whole story...

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lol Dorf had to get a ride from his mom

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
make more friends op

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Volume posted:

Lol Dorf had to get a ride from his mom

so did half of gbs

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I have my online friends then I have my IRL friends, in my experience it's never good to combine those worlds, unless it's just one person.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like they were assholes

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

voted 5 without reading

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Online friendship is weird, because if you've ever had a heated argument with your online friends you can always drag it back from the chat log and have another go later on. With irl friends you sort of forget what the argument was about and you stay friends.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

Parallax Scroll posted:

voted 5 without reading

how unseemly

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
oh thank god, i heard "canada" and "eve" but i didnt know any of these people... close call

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015

HAmbONE posted:

<snip>

Is the story going to end with a tearful but joyous reunion followed by 3 way make up man sex?

Because it reads like maybe it should.

SomePacifist
Sep 4, 2009

HAmbONE posted:

he never invited us over

Dorf sounds like the smartest of you all

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I alienated everyone I ever knew in irl by being an rear end in a top hat and eventually I alienated everyone I knew online when they realized I really am just an rear end in a top hat and not an ironic troll

at least I still have asmr videos

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
you're a loving nerd, op

the worst kind, too

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
i started playing eve again the moment i found out you could buy and sell skillpoints cause i knew there would be a huge rush of noobs who have no idea how to play with ships they shouldnt be able to fly

i was right

also now i can plex my accounts by selling sp indefinitely

however now im playing eve online again

overall, 3/10

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i read that whole thing and encourage others to do so to

if you haven't had the courage to read the OP, it's a swashbuckling tale of murder and sex set in puritanical egypt

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

Smellrose

ChrisHansen posted:

Sounds like they were assholes

In some ways they were and in some ways they weren't. Just as there were times that I was an rear end in a top hat and times that I was a good friend. I can't remember the exact time frame but we ended up hanging out for years. The day that broke us I really wanted them out of my house because I wanted to physically fight them. They could argue endless circles but I could take them both in a physical match. I'm glad it didn't come to that, I am not a violent person at heart.

Ziptar posted:

Is the story going to end with a tearful but joyous reunion followed by 3 way make up man sex?

Because it reads like maybe it should.

Neither of us were homosexuals. Our other friend, a former co-worker of mine, became my girlfriend. She was not a goon nor an internet person, she put up with us though and in no way deserved the abuse they were dumping that day.

SomePacifist posted:

Dorf sounds like the smartest of you all

He is indeed very smart about matters of a technological nature. My attempts to bond with him outside of video games/nerd poo poo often failed miserably. I'm not sure between Simon and Dorf who was smarter but Simon was definetly more sociable and thus I considered him a closer friend

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I played EVE in like 2006-2007 and all I did was go into low security space and pirate the gently caress out of people who were innocently trying to mine space rocks or whatever the hell. Eventually I got good enough that I could sit 200km away from the jump gates and blow up anything smaller than a battlecruiser (including haulers) in 1 volley from my railguns.

One time I had a friend join some biggish mining corp and after a month he got all their Ventrilo info so I could go in and pirate their mining ops and know when their security dudes were coming and I could jump away before they all got there and just generally harass the poo poo out of them. They caught on that I was on their vent eventually but it took them 2 weeks to realize there was a mole just giving me the new passwords every time they changed them lmao.

I had over 300 mails saved from people calling me a terrible evil person for blowing their poo poo up.

Then they made low sec worthless and no one went in there anymore and I couldn't pirate. I'm talking about like flying around for 6-7 hours and seeing maybe 1-2 targets total the whole time. I could go into 0.0 but it wasn't really the same as most of that is controlled by players who will group up and defend their 'home.' I tried to play again a year ago and I made like 7-8 billion just margin trading in Jita and doing planetary mining stuff in goonspace and having it hauled back to Jita but it wasn't the same.

Griefing is my lifeblood.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

I played EVE in like 2006-2007 and all I did was go into low security space and pirate the gently caress out of people who were innocently trying to mine space rocks or whatever the hell. Eventually I got good enough that I could sit 200km away from the jump gates and blow up anything smaller than a battlecruiser (including haulers) in 1 volley from my railguns.

One time I had a friend join some biggish mining corp and after a month he got all their Ventrilo info so I could go in and pirate their mining ops and know when their security dudes were coming and I could jump away before they all got there and just generally harass the poo poo out of them. They caught on that I was on their vent eventually but it took them 2 weeks to realize there was a mole just giving me the new passwords every time they changed them lmao.

I had over 300 mails saved from people calling me a terrible evil person for blowing their poo poo up.

Then they made low sec worthless and no one went in there anymore and I couldn't pirate. I'm talking about like flying around for 6-7 hours and seeing maybe 1-2 targets total the whole time. I could go into 0.0 but it wasn't really the same as most of that is controlled by players who will group up and defend their 'home.' I tried to play again a year ago and I made like 7-8 billion just margin trading in Jita and doing planetary mining stuff in goonspace and having it hauled back to Jita but it wasn't the same.

Griefing is my lifeblood.

welcome back

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Cool. I myself ended up in gamma squad with shameful pedophiles bobfrommarketing and deadtear. I did not stay in gamma long

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

HAmbONE posted:

Neither of us were homosexuals. Our other friend, a former co-worker of mine, became my girlfriend. She was not a goon nor an internet person, she put up with us though and in no way deserved the abuse they were dumping that day.

Ah, so this is really a cry for help - your gf got your balls in the nutcracker.

Uxzuigal fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 17, 2016

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Libelous Slander posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAeiQQgy8r4

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

Smellrose

Uxzuigal posted:

Ah, so this is really a cry for help - your gf got your balls in the nutcracker. Hard call but: Let em rip, hope for bull transplants!

She wasn't my GF at the time and she considered them her friends as well.

This will explain everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl_9RhEfL2o

HAmbONE fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 17, 2016

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Cool. I myself ended up in gamma squad with shameful pedophiles bobfrommarketing and deadtear. I did not stay in gamma long

as a neat aside, deadtear now posts on these forums as "drilldo squirt". I hear they're going to make him a mod as soon as his criminal records are verified

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
sometimes we have to remind ourselves that some birds aren't meant to be caged. their feathers are just too bright. and when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. i guess I just miss my online friends. :smith:

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the cool thign about internet frineds is that you can always just make some new ones, a la pygmalion

• Locked thread