Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
-
(Click the box art to go to the respective post)

---The Thread and the LPs---
Yes, it's yet another thread from me with multiple LPs. I do LPs full-time; this is how it goes.
A Link Between Worlds is a straightforward, post-commentated, 100% LP in my usual style. Tri Force Heroes, however, is a blind, co-op LP with myself, Mugiwara Yoshi and BigTUnit1 getting each other killed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(By Loziclo, Twitter)

(By Akogare Zephyr)

(By NullBlack)

(By XelEsparza)

(By ChibiWisdom)

(By peachteadreams)

Tri Force Heroes backgrounds

(By NullBlack)

(By Akogare Zephyr)

(By mischievousart)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

--The Game--
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is A Link to the Past remade and reimagined in both the 2nd and 3rd dimensions. The game feels like an experiment to see how the classic Zelda formula can be rebuilt or can uphold itself - the player can merge into walls to explore the world and solve puzzles in a new and unique way, the dungeons are smartly designed with little to no guff, the player has the ability to rent all of the dungeon items and weapons from the second dungeon-on, and the music is ALttP's soundtrack that has been gorgeously re-orchestrated. The story however is comparitively threadbare, coming across more as going through the motions than a new take on the classic Zelda plot. Overall the game is relatively short, but it's excellently designed.

The story is such:
TacoBob is a young apprentice blacksmith who finds himself pulled into the grand evil plot of the villainous, campy artist Yuga. Yuga is capturing the descendants of Hyrule's sages, imprisoning them in paintings, and putting them on display in the bowels of Hyrule and its dark, crumbling mirror world Lorule. TacoBob must brave the temples to rescue the sages' descendants and save the world from Yuga, all while meeting a colorful cast of characters ranging from a purple bunny man to a purple Zelda. Get painting, TacoBob!

--The LP--
This is a 100% LP, wherein I will collect everything that isn't nailed to the floor. Every collectable, every treasure chest, every upgrade. Everything except those making GBS threads Streetpass medals because I'm a bitch hermit. And the maximum cuckoo thing.
All footage is captured directly from the 3DS at 60fps. My co-commentators alternate between BigTUnit1, Mugiwara Yoshi and Highwang.

Highwang also contributed a casual livestream of A Link to the Past to the thread, accessible at the bottom of the page below the main LP videos. Myself and occasionally JigglyJacob co-commentate, and parts 8-14 include the chat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Played and hosted by Highwang, with me and JigglyJacob (Parts 1-7)

(By Loziclo, Twitter)

(By XelEsparza)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 30, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

--The Game--
What do you do when you've got a whole game's worth of art assets, people clamoring for a new game, and the need to add another to the pile of online multiplayer games on the market? You make Tri Force Heroes! Built on the A Link Between Worlds engine and devised as the successor to the Four Swords games, Tri Force Heroes has you play with two friends as you explore the wacky, clothing-obsessed kingdom of Hytopia. Solve devious puzzles, get each other killed every other level, gather materials to make fabulous costumes and dresses, and maybe someday you'll be able to afford that cheerleader outfit.

The story is such:
Hytopia is a kingdom obsessed with fashion, and its princess Styla is the most fashionable of all. So of course an evil witch curses Styla to wear a dumpy brown body stocking for all eternity.
TacoBob, fresh from saving the world in A Link Between Worlds and shopping at Stupid T-Shirts 'R' Us, wanders into Hytopia. There he finds that King Tuft is calling for adventurers to brave the Drablands, fight the evil witch, and save his daughter from the horrors of tackiness. But he's gonna need a couple friends to it...

--The LP--
This is a live-commentated, co-op LP between myself, Mugiwara Yoshi and BigTUnit1 (with Xel Esparza filling in for Yoshi in a couple parts, or Renose, Torlon, RebelliousPawn, or Delish and a few online randos for livestreams). All game footage is recorded from my end, but I make sure to show the guys' perspectives when necessary. Large segments in Hytopia are separated from the main game in case viewers are like me and would rather skip the incessant dialogue and get down to the actual gameplay. Every update will have progress; the fun of live co-op LPs is the ways we gently caress each other over, but no update will go by without at least 1-2 levels completed.
This is not a 100% LP, but we endeavor to show off and purchase as much as possible.

:siren:Viewer Interaction!:siren: - Player names can be changed at will. If you would like to suggest a name for us that fits within the character limit, feel free to mention them.
Also, the video does not move around like it does in A Link Between Worlds, so the background may include fanart that fits within a 1280x720 image. If you would like to contribute background art, feel free to post it in the thread and to base it around this transparent base.

Older TFH Live Streams

Carbon dioxide posted:

I found an accurate depiction of Yoshi, Travis and ThornBrain on the internet.

(By Akogare Zephyr)

(By NullBlack)

(By ChibiWisdom)

(By peachteadreams)

Backgrounds

(By NullBlack)

(By Akogare Zephyr)

(By mischievousart)

Horrors Drawn by Thorn During Live Streams

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 9, 2017

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Let's get this content-overloaded train a'rolling.

So if you skipped the above posts, here's the rundown of what's going down with these two LPs:
A Link Between Worlds will follow my usual LP style: informative and humorous commentary, with thorough gameplay where I collect 100% of everything that isn't nailed to the floor. Every collectable, every treasure chest, every upgrade. Everything. All footage is captured directly from the 3DS at 60fps. My co-commentator is BigTUnit1, though future commentators are possible, and there is a chance for the commentary to alternate between people.

Tri Force Heroes is a live-commentated, co-op LP between myself, Mugiwara Yoshi and BigTUnit1. All game footage is recorded from my end, but I make sure to show the guys' perspectives when necessary. Segments in Hytopia and in the Drablands are separated for each update, in case viewers are like me and would rather skip the incessant dialogue and get down to the actual gameplay.
It's not necessarily planned as a 100% LP, but we will endeavor to show off and purchase as much as possible - I will especially make sure to buy and show off every outfit in the game.

Both "Intro" parts encompass the opening cinematics, my intro and overview of the LPs, and much of the tutorial segments. For TFH it specifically covers everything up to before we enter the Drablands for the first time, so if you prefer, you can skip directly to Part 1-2 for Travis's treachery.

:siren:Spoiler Policy:siren:
Tag all spoilers! Anything we haven't seen or discussed yet, especially for Tri Force Heroes. ALBW was fully recorded before the LP began, but TFH is played blind by us three.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Count me in for another Zeldathon, I like Link Between Worlds, not as much as many other people because I don't like Link to the Past a whole lot, but it's still good fun.

Torlon
Oct 27, 2007

Kittens, you have to get them before they get you
I love the Tri Force Heroes videos. Even though they're friends and can communicate it's still like playing with "unknown heroes."

Also Thorn I just recently got all of the costumes if you'd like to use me to show them off to avoid grinding. Or to help grind as needed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I love Link Between Worlds, it's such a great mixture of old school and new school zelda games. And there's all sorts of neat little touches, like link carrying the sword around under his arm, and the bird statues whistling the bird ocarina theme from the original LTTP.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 17, 2016

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013
Are you considering the reward you get by dodging cuccos for 999 seconds in endless mode to be part of "everything" in Link Between Worlds? For the sake of your sanity, I kind of hope you aren't.

Edit: It occurs to me that even though it's just a meaningless mini-game, I should still probably mark it for spoilers since we haven't seen it yet.

Llednar Twem fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 17, 2016

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I can't stop laughing at Yoshi getting relentlessly owned over cliffs

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
This is how TheStrawhatNo gets dissolved

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Link Between Worlds is rad and I so very, very badly want them to do a Link's Awakening "remake" in the same way. Also I love the acoustic theme that plays in the overworld at the very start of the game, too bad it goes away soon.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 18, 2016

Torlon
Oct 27, 2007

Oh and one more thing. I'd recommend having two people pick "I can't decide" when picking stages while you're playing through. The game rewards you for playing levels you didn't pick and for choosing "I can't decide."

This will help you cut down on the grinding and help you get the only upgrade in the game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh hey, two Zeldas I actually don't know anything about!

If TriForce heroes ends up anything like the Four Swords run done by PoKeCapn & Crew it will be amazing.

Calling that the next Link incarnation will be BurgerStu (or BurgStu.) Steve is a rather hard name to shorten.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I am really interested in Link between worlds, I didn't even know it existed and the main antagonists power is frankly somewhat terrifying. Really looking forward to the future videos.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ZeusCannon posted:

I am really interested in Link between worlds, I didn't even know it existed and the main antagonists power is frankly somewhat terrifying. Really looking forward to the future videos.

I suggest you watch the doctor who episode "flatline"
It's not creepy at all trust me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

All I know about Link Between Worlds is that it's more or less an updated Link to the Past. I know nothing about Triforce Heroes up until I saw the videos. The plot sounds like less Zelda and more Kirby.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I agree with the Link Between Worlds seeming more like a modernized Link to the Past. I'm not sure what to think of Yuga yet; he's like a weird Agahnim fashionista replacement or something.

Triforce Heroes looks fun as hell. I never even heard of it since this LP, so I'm off to do my internet homework on it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Didn't take long. We already got an adorable piece of fanart for this thread, this one from Lozzy on Twitter:

E: This reminds me of a couple things I forgot to mention for Tri Force Heroes:

1 - We're able to change our player names at any time. If you guys want us to change them to anything in particular (that fits within the character limit), we can start implementing them after update 5, since that's the last part we've recorded so far.

2 - TFH won't have the top and bottom screens moving around like A Link Between Worlds will, so I'm planning to start putting in unobtrusive black space filler, like so:

Thoughts? Opinions? Our friend Jacob is also drawing something 1280x720 to fit into that space of me and the guys as the trio of Links. I thought it would be fun for people to send in their own art to be put in the background for a couple parts each. Let me know what y'all think.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 18, 2016

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

All I know about Link Between Worlds is that it's more or less an updated Link to the Past.

More or less. It was going to be a straight-up 3D remake of LttP, but Nintendo decided to jazz it up a bit with a new story and some additional gameplay mechanics. For the most part I think it worked. It's one of my favorite Zelda games, though I am admittedly a sucker for the alternate universe thing it's got going on.

I'm not too keen on TFH, but watching Thorn, Travis, and Yoshi kill eachother play it together should be amusing, at least.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
While I enjoyed what I played of Tri Force Heroes, it just got too ridiculous trying to do things on my own in that game. So I'll be happy to see how things go with the three of you screwing things up for each other.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Watching triforce heroes is giving me flashbacks to new super mario bros with the picking up and tossing.

Except worse, because you can't escape being picked up.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
I think that they were expecting the shared hearts and rupee count to keep players from getting too aggressive towards each other as you'd be hurting yourself in the process. That and it is possible to blacklist online players to try and make sure you don't get teamed up with them again.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

ThornBrain posted:

Thoughts? Opinions? Our friend Jacob is also drawing something 1280x720 to fit into that space of me and the guys as the trio of Links. I thought it would be fun for people to send in their own art to be put in the background for a couple parts each. Let me know what y'all think.

Also, why shouldn't the priest in LBW have children? Who says the Hylian faith has a vow of celibacy or abstinence?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

NullBlack posted:

Also, why shouldn't the priest in LBW have children? Who says the Hylian faith has a vow of celibacy or abstinence?

Alternatively, he could have had his daughter before becoming a priest.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

NullBlack posted:

I think it's more due to the fact that said priest is a HORRIBLE father for letting his daughter get captured so easily. Wait. How the gently caress did Yuga even get in?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Silegna posted:

I think it's more due to the fact that said priest is a HORRIBLE father for letting his daughter get captured so easily. Wait. How the gently caress did Yuga even get in?

No one expects some rear end in a top hat to attack a church for seemingly no good reason.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Chimera-gui posted:

No one expects some rear end in a top hat to attack a church for seemingly no good reason.

Yes, but remember, this is hyrule. They've dealt with this EXACT church getting attacked before!

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
drat, I was trying to get two other goons with 3DS recorders to team up and do Tri-Force Heroes, but one of them didn't get back to me on time. You're probably funnier than us anyway.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

drat, I was trying to get two other goons with 3DS recorders to team up and do Tri-Force Heroes, but one of them didn't get back to me on time. You're probably funnier than us anyway.

There are five archived LPs of Crono Trigger, four LPs of Dark Souls, three LPs of Sleeping Dogs, four lps of Final Fantasy 5, five of Final Fantasy 6, four Link to the Past, Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time LPs, and five LPs of Resident Evil 4.

What I'm saying is make the LP if you want to. Not because no one's made one yet.

We have, and will continue to be able to handle multiple LPs of the same game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Worlds is a good game and I played it a lot and its really good

Never played TFH as I don't have friends

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Are you going to show off the coliseum in TFH? Because if you wanna get all the outfits, you're probably gonna be in there for a while.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I thought Link Between Worlds is a fantastic entry because of its mixture of nostalgia elements (A Link to the Past was the first Zelda game I played) and the new elements that kept it from being a complete rehash. I also appreciate that the game starts the adventure off immediately, especially after the slogs other Zelda games like Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess to get to that part of their game.

As for Triforce Heroes, I played a bit of it, but a combination of lack of time and lack of interest kept me from getting very far. I finished the first world, but the completionist in me wants to finish all the challenges for them and a lot of those are bullshit.

I really need to get back on track for that game (and Majora's Mask 3D...)

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Sam Faust posted:

Are you going to show off the coliseum in TFH? Because if you wanna get all the outfits, you're probably gonna be in there for a while.

They can also get them via (gameplay spoilers) beating all the drabland challenges for a region - more time consuming, but less tedious. Although if Yoshi and Travis are fine with only Thorn getting the materials the coliseum should go pretty quick.

I do want to see them tackle a few of the challenges though. Some of them get really hectic, and some of them will make you hate people.

Torlon
Oct 27, 2007

Sam Faust posted:

There is another way to get the materials which is how I got the last three. Every five hero points the merchant will give you a random material for an outfit you don't have even if it's normally one you can only get from the coliseum or completing all the challenges! He won't give you friend tokens but anything else is fair game.

Which is why I recommended using "I can't decide" to gather up points while playing through.

Torlon fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 19, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Hmm...three heroes with terrible fashion sense...

We're talking about Enrique, Gilder, and Drachma, right?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Godspeed getting all the medals in LBW. The west always gets shafted when it comes to streetpass features.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Hmm...three heroes with terrible fashion sense...

We're talking about Enrique, Gilder, and Drachma, right?

Seconding this, ideally with Travis as Drachma, Yoshi as Enrique, and Thorn as Gilder.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 20, 2016

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

If there's a graveyard level or tomb level or something, you should try to fit in as Inky, Blinky, and Clyde

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Red, blue and green, huh?

How about you spend at least one session as Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup?

And since you're cool cats, a second session as Polly, Guido and Speedy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Zelda has become pretty far removed from itself along with most other Nintendo franchises; they're at the point of nothing more than famous names to bank off their success with new smaller ideas to ride the coattails. At the very least even if they are shells it's neat to see Nintendo experimenting with all kinds of styles. I could just imagine though what this game would be like if they treated it as its own game; to go full on with the style at a level of Grim Fandango or Guacamelee without any Zelda baggage.

It's something I've only seen developers like Looking Glass do; their consistency was based more around their engine rather than settings or characters; they made System Shock, then Thief with the same engine. They could do the same with Zelda.

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 20, 2016

• Locked thread