Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm surprised you waited so long to do the Desert Palace, as soon as I learned it was where you got the Titan's Mitt I pretty much went straight for it. That thing opens up a bunch of extra stuff.

Bruceski posted:

I've beaten the game on hero mode multiple times, and IMO it's simply not worth it. Enemies at the start of the game 2-shot you. Grab every heart piece, beeline the water temple's armor, get the best weapon upgrades and play as conservatively as possible. There's simply no room for screwing around. You can't brave the damaging enemies on the mountain to hit the ice palace first for shits and giggles, nothing like that.

I started Hero Mode a while back and yeah it's a pain in the rear end. I think it might get better once I have a few extra heart containers though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
So while this thread is on minor hiatus again, I have started prep for Twilight Princess HD for later down the line. But of course I need a name for our hero and his horse, preferably new names. If you have any suggestions that fits within 8 characters, post 'em here.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Hyrule can only be saved by the legendary hero HamHarry and his trusty steed, Sandwich.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Truly, we need a hero of the ages. A hero who can defeat giants.

We need Don Quixote and his trusty steed Rocinante.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hero of Time Jort and faith(?)ful(?) steed Agro Nah, that's dumb. Name the horse Igor.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 5, 2016

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
No one remembers his name, so they just call him You (can't think of a name for the horse).

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Hyrule must be saved by FeiFong and his trusty Weltall.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I believe a hero will rise to save Hyrule and that here is named Ganondorf and his trusty steed Horse.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
The hero's name is Linkle; the horse's name is Tacquito.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shei-kun posted:

Truly, we need a hero of the ages. A hero who can defeat giants.

We need Don Quixote and his trusty steed Rocinante.

Quixote and his faithful companion Panza.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

We need a fitting name for a gyro huh... how about GyroJim?

His horse can be named Ziki (or Tzatziki if that fits)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That stupid Furball is riding his old nag through my fields again! :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Bruceski posted:

Gotta be classy.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Bruceski posted:

That, because that's actually better than what I thought of.

EighteenCharacters
Nov 4, 2009
I have no idea what to call the horse, but our hero should go by the canonical Timur Link.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I asked the group which ones they liked the most, and Jacob chose HamHarry and Sandwich. If there's one thing I know to do in a situation like this, it's to go with Jacob.

As a plus, Yoshi, Highwang and I managed to commentate the last four remaining updates of ALBW, so that will resume this Friday and run through to the 30th. Travis is also going to try to be around to record later today, so maybe we'll also get some TFH to go along with it, but no promises no TFH, but Demon's Souls will continue at least.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 8, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We're in the homestretch. After this week it's just the last dungeon, the Lorule Castle itself, and then the final boss on the 30th.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Honestly I didn't mind the Maimai sidequest that much, the game tells you how many are left in each region and it doesn't hide any in dungeons. Plus the rewards are actually worthwhile.

Compare it to the Gold Skulltulas in OoT where they stop giving you rewards after 50, and both hides them in more places and doesn't tell you how many are left in an area until you've found them all.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rupee Rush gives x2 if within 3 seconds, and x3 if within one second. If you use the music it's very easy to make rupees from it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

An ice dungeon with minimal annoying ice physics and a clever design and progression. Turns out it's not that hard to make.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
That was a nice Ice level. Interesting visuals of confirming that the whole of Death Mountain is hollow :v:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
That looked like a fun ice dungeon.

Here's hoping that becomes a thing in the future.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Douse your fire rod to see in the dark.

Final boss and the end of the LP next week. I'll probably submit it to the archive while we wait for the opportunity to record more TFH.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

That's ALBW done. TFH is still on hiatus but will be continued and completed. In the meantime, thanks to everyone who stuck with the LP. I'm focusing on finishing the LPs we have running right now before I move on to something new.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That was actually a surprising ending. Pretty cool, I did not expect that. It seems like a very good Zelda game, thanks for the superb LP.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I feel like the Lorule Triforce would be Ignorance (antithesis of Wisdom since Hilda was foolish enough to believe that Yuga cared about Lorule), Cowardice (antithesis of Courage since Ravio's a coward by his own admission) and Impotence (antithesis of Power since unlike Ganon who is consistently portrayed as an utter juggernaut, Yuga is extremely weak and thus relied on his magic to disable potential threats until he got Ganon's power).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Or the Lorule Triforce is courage, power and wisdom as well, but it was destroyed so they didn't have those.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Or the Lorule Triforce is courage, power and wisdom as well, but it was destroyed so they didn't have those.

That's entirely possible too and then the void left by the lost of Courage, Power, and Wisdom would presumably be filled by the their respective antitheses which I mentioned above.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
I think the old man from the credits might be the guy who tells you about the streetpass function? He's in Kakariko Village I'm pretty sure

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
The Yuga fight, at the point where he becomes able to merge with the walls, is in my opinion really well designed, and makes the player think outside of the box.

A normal player, when they get the Bow of Light, will instinctively merge into the wall and try to shoot Yuga, only for him to guard the arrow and eventually deflect it. The player has to realize that they can come out of the wall, and merge in behind him while he's guarding the arrow.
On the second hit, they will try to do the same, only to have Yuga immediately deflect the arrow instead of guarding it, and then charge at the player. The player has to realize that they can side-step the charge by coming out of the wall, and then merge back in to shoot him while he's recovering from the charge.
On the final hit, if you try to do the methods from the first two hits, Yuga will immediately turn to face the player, giving them no chance to shoot him. The player has to realize that since the room is circular, they can turn around, and shoot the arrow, and the arrow will travel all the way around the room to hit Yuga in the back.

It just feels so good when you realize the method for that last hit, and watch the arrow zoom around the room to strike for the last time.

Well done on the LP, and I look forward to your next ones.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
That old man in the credits is Gramps who runs StreetPass in Kakariko Village. In this game you can StreetPass other players to fight their personal Shadow Links who have all the major upgrades the player has obtained and are equipped with two items, and the fights have an achievement system based on how you perform and KO opponents. Once you get all the achievements you can actually fight Gramps and the implication is that he's an aged LttP Link. If I remember right I think the game actually auto-generates some Shadow Links for you to fight so if you activate StreetPass you can at least show off a fight or two if you want.

For the Lorule Triforce I always figured they represented the useful abilities implied by the Hyrulean counterpart but without the specific virtues its pieces are named for. So Ravio's would be something like Skill since he's got that thief bag and managed to obtain the dungeon items seemingly without much trouble, but of course without Courage he could only do so much. Hilda would have Intelligence based on her planning, but without Wisdom she fell to corruption and lost her way. And Yuga I guess would have Magic? Something worthwhile but not the fully rounded Power in every conceivable area that Ganon has.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So the only other difference that comes with Hero Mode is a very small change to the "The End" scene.

Otherwise exactly the same, but Lorule is there to stamp on your balls. You pretty much immediately have to head for the Blue Mail and any available heart pieces immediately to make it bearable.

Final boss is a whole lot harder too. Any mistakes in boss tennis is devastating.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

That ending was really good honestly, right up there with Wind Waker's and Link's Awakening's endings.

Llednar Twem
Jan 5, 2013
One thing I love about the ending is the retroactive effect it has on the rest of the game.The similarity to the previous adventure that various NPCs keep commenting on? It was very deliberately manufactured by Hilda. She needed the triforce of courage, so she artificially re-created the events of the legend to allow Link to get it. That's why everything is "going through the motions". Sealing the castle such that only the Master Sword could break in, scattering the sages so link could prove himself by rescuing them all...it's still a blatant re-tread of the previous game, but I guess I like how there's actually an in-universe REASON for it to be that way.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Small update: ALBW has been archived.
TFH is still on hiatus while Yoshi and Travis are both sporadically available. However I asked around and I understand that the challenges are not necessary to see all of the story. So since trying to 100% the game would likely drive the LP into repeating hiatuses, let's have a poll:
Do you want us to do all of the challenges; or should we focus on completing the story and just get as many costumes as we can, then call it there?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'm completely fine with you just showing off every level once and finishing the story.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Just focus on completing the story if challenges aren't going to be feasible do to scheduling issues.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Do the challenges if you find them fun, but the story's probably better to focus on due to scheduling.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Main stages, but also an attempt at the DLC area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Story, but I'd like the pretty pretty outfits min-maxed as much as possible.

• Locked thread