Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xpander
Sep 2, 2004
Recently I set up ScreenConnect for a client to replace VNC as their remote administration tool. It solved a lot of their issues, but one area in which it falls flat is transferring files to and from the remote machine. It's just Not Good At All - UltraVNC did a way better job, and I didn't know this was a requirement until after the license was bought. So what I'm after is something likely agent-based, as these machines are typically behind very strict firewalls and need some sort of intermediary to deal with that. The nodes are all Linux(Ubuntu), but the client/admin machines could be any of the holy trinity. What they need is pretty simple, in terms of functionality: just imagine they want to (S)FTP files to and from these machines at any time, have a decent file browser so that it's easy to manage this task, etc. I say "pull-based" because as mentioned, there's likely no way into the remote machines from the outside, so I envision an agent running that facilitates the transfers when they're initiated. I should also note that this is my last day here, and I really just want to field suggestions to pass on to them(but I can see this being generally useful anyway).

Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Syncthing had been great for me.

• Locked thread