Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Hypothetically, what would help change things censor-wise to be more gender neutral, so to speak?

I dunno, the most obvious first step is probably to just to make the decision-making group more diverse so you get multiple perspectives. Or make the decisions and the reasons behind them public so that people can make their own judgements and hold the censors are accountable for bad decisions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

twistedmentat posted:

These were stuff like no guns that look like real guns, all have to be futuristic; If you have a gun shoot, you cannot have it shoot and hit a person in the same shot, it has to be divided Wolverine could never use his claws on anyone, but robots and monsters were a-ok;

These two things I immediately recognized even as a kid and it took the tension right out when I know Wolverine would only cut robots and stuff.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Though Samurai Jack used its robot-death-only restriction to be absolutely brutal

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sentient Data posted:

Though Samurai Jack used its robot-death-only restriction to be absolutely brutal

It also helped that there were episodes (or at least one that i remember) that showed the robots to be fully sentient. In effect, it was just as brutal as chopping a real person in half would've been.

I also seem to remember beasties being chopped up as well, but that might just be memories playing tricks on me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Firstborn posted:

These two things I immediately recognized even as a kid and it took the tension right out when I know Wolverine would only cut robots and stuff.

Yea, also why Foot Clan was all robots in the TMNT series.

But yea, Wolverine would slash at a tree, then pick it up and wack someone with it, rather than you know, hacking at them with his claws. Though the comics were always ambiguous about what kind of damage he was doing in the early days. Though we know now that the Hellfire Club guards he hacked up during those comics were made into cyborgs.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Sentient Data posted:

Sorry about the crappy uploader added music but this scene:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=neky7mxchcM

Is really intense, especially in the last bits with Jack going apeshit and cutting a robot bug in half while it covers him from head to toe in oil-blood and then standing on a pile of bodies dripping in oil. For a show ostensibly for kids, it's incredibly brutal. It's not hard to mentally substitute blood for oil and guts with sudden cybernetic parts from otherwise humanoid creatures.

With Samurai Jack returning on Adult Swim, I wonder if they'll keep the robot innards or if they can actually show real blood this time around.

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Feb 20, 2016

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, also why Foot Clan was all robots in the TMNT series.

But yea, Wolverine would slash at a tree, then pick it up and wack someone with it, rather than you know, hacking at them with his claws. Though the comics were always ambiguous about what kind of damage he was doing in the early days. Though we know now that the Hellfire Club guards he hacked up during those comics were made into cyborgs.

It'll be weird to see if the rumours are true; if the next Wolverine movie will be R rated. Be fun to see him actually use those claws for what they are meant to.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

twistedmentat posted:

A dong is worse than boobs though. Seriously, a bunch of boobs in a movie, and it pretty much gets an R rated, but have a swinging dick, you're getting NC-17. Unless it's CGI and blue.

Counterpoint: Wild Things

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Is there a reason the MPAA has to be so opaque in the way that it determines ratings? It is strange how much power (and ultimately money) they have control over in the film industry.

Are there any NC-17 films that didn't contain any nudity/sexual content? It seems particularly reserved for some of the more sexually explicit films. But often even those were just a product of 'X more minutes of exposed boobs' over an R rating, which feels awfully arbitrary. I heard, for example the orgy scene in Eyes Wide Shut had to get cut down to keep an R rating. I get the impression it was more about the duration of it, not what was actually depicted.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Panfilo posted:

Is there a reason the MPAA has to be so opaque in the way that it determines ratings? It is strange how much power (and ultimately money) they have control over in the film industry.

Because they can, and because it causes the second sentence.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Happy Landfill posted:

Because, you know, it's not like they have more important things to attend to like the town that's been spewing nothing but lead water for two years.

yeah because the government can only focus on one problem at a time

here's a story I read about Animal House

the writers wanted the girl to say "I'm 16 years old" after they hosed but they thought the MPAA wouldn't approve. So they made her say "I'm 13 years old" so they could then compromise with the MPAA to bring it up to 16. But the MPAA never said anything so she says 13 in the movie.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

twistedmentat posted:

A dong is worse than boobs though. Seriously, a bunch of boobs in a movie, and it pretty much gets an R rated, but have a swinging dick, you're getting NC-17. Unless it's CGI and blue.

Dicks show up in R movies pretty often, they just can't be erect. Jason Siegel did a full scene in the nude in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and was writing and directing a Muppet movie a couple years later. This highlights a problem with filmmakers in itself, where male nudity can be played only as a joke with no sex, but there will always be sex attached to a naked woman, at least in any mainstream movie.

Man butts have been showing up in network TV as well, and are pretty much good to go on cable, while lady butts are still forbidden on TV. Women's bodies are policed pretty heavily in every way when compared to men's.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

yeah because the government can only focus on one problem at a time

Well, they sure nipped the problem of married couples having oral sex in the bud. Those pervs are going to jail.

Poor Miserable Gurgi has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Feb 19, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Practical Demon posted:

Dicks show up in R movies pretty often, they just can't be erect. Jason Siegel did a full scene in the nude in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, and was writing and directing a Muppet movie a couple years later. This highlights a problem with filmmakers in itself, where male nudity can be played only as a joke with no sex, but there will always be sex attached to a naked woman, at least in any mainstream movie.

Man butts have been showing up in network TV as well, and are pretty much good to go on cable, while lady butts are still forbidden on TV. Women's bodies are policed pretty heavily in every way when compared to men's.

Well, they sure nipped the problem of married couples having oral sex in the bud. Those pervs are going to jail.

What about the scene with Kathy Bates in About Schmidt? Are women's bodies always sexualized, even if they fall under a conventionally 'undesirable' group, such as older or fatter women?

If Melissa McCarthy did a nude scene, would audiences really interpret it as a 'sexy' scene, or would it get played for laffs the same way a naked dude would?

It's easy to generalize that we overly sexualize women's bodies in movies through censorship, but I notice this happens overwhelmingly with conventional 'Hollywood' proportioned bodies.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Issues aren't universal, but they're apparent when you look at the whole. Female nudity is more common than male nudity, even though male nudity isn't censored as harshly. Filmmakers tend to be male, and they make movies with men in mind, for the most part.

Non attractive bodies are rare to see nude, and are usually played for a joke, but I'd say a non attractive female body is more rare than a male one for those jokes. I can think of maybe one or two other example off the top of my head other than that Kathy Bates scene, which was a big loving deal at the time. Even when a woman being fat is the joke, producers worry it'll stop people from seeing it. Melissa McCarthy was photoshopped to be thinner on all the posters for The Heat, even though the entire point of her characters tend to center around her size. In general, a woman's body is seen by producers as something to sell a movie to a male audience.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Practical Demon posted:

Issues aren't universal, but they're apparent when you look at the whole. Female nudity is more common than male nudity, even though male nudity isn't censored as harshly. Filmmakers tend to be male, and they make movies with men in mind, for the most part.

Non attractive bodies are rare to see nude, and are usually played for a joke, but I'd say a non attractive female body is more rare than a male one for those jokes. I can think of maybe one or two other example off the top of my head other than that Kathy Bates scene, which was a big loving deal at the time. Even when a woman being fat is the joke, producers worry it'll stop people from seeing it. Melissa McCarthy was photoshopped to be thinner on all the posters for The Heat, even though the entire point of her characters tend to center around her size. In general, a woman's body is seen by producers as something to sell a movie to a male audience.

I wonder if they're really afraid of alienating their audience, or it is the characteristic cultural 'invisibility' society has on larger or older women; that they think nobody will care enough to bother seeing it in the first place.

For example Norbit got a lot of backlash, but it seemed more focused around negative African American stereotypes then 'lol fat chick' attitudes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Panfilo posted:

For example Norbit got a lot of backlash, but it seemed more focused around negative African American stereotypes then 'lol fat chick' attitudes.

The backlash to Norbit I saw was "jesus christ this is awful on every conceivable level," including that.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Subjunctive posted:

Counterpoint: Wild Things

I only remember two things about this movie. Kevin's Bacon, and it had Smashmouth's cover of Why Can't We Be Friends.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

He also worked on 92 Xmen, and lent me his copy of the series bible, including the do nots. These were stuff like no guns that look like real guns, all have to be futuristic; If you have a gun shoot, you cannot have it shoot and hit a person in the same shot, it has to be divided Wolverine could never use his claws on anyone, but robots and monsters were a-ok; Mystique could never change into a male and make any kind of romantic gestures towards female characters. There was pages of stuff like that, a lot of stuff to avoid as well, like try not to imply any intimate relationships between Jean and Scott and Rogue and Gambit. The weirdest one was they were never to refer to Magneto as a holocaust survivor or anything relating to that, not even make him Jewish, hence why he's always referred to as Magnus in the show.

Wasn't Rogue and Gambits thing that they literally couldn't touch each other because of their powers? I thought I remembered them specifically mentioning that even in the cartoon when I was a kid cause I remember even then thinking "wow that blows"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wasn't Rogue and Gambits thing that they literally couldn't touch each other because of their powers? I thought I remembered them specifically mentioning that even in the cartoon when I was a kid cause I remember even then thinking "wow that blows"

It would be a hell of a feedback loop with Rogue absorbing Gambit's power then charging him back by accident. "I charge you. You charge me! We're exploding painfully~"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Practical Demon posted:

See also: "unrated" versions of movies which is code for "there are more tits now." And they don't mean in general, just any ol' boobs, but attractive women. Why does it happen? Because it sells movies.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Rogue and Gambit had the hots for each other but Rogue couldn't touch anybody. That was a common thread among X-Men thing that explained her personality; she kept people at a distance because she hosed up whoever she touched. It registers as "holy poo poo that sucks" because humans generally really like to touch each other. Think about how different life would be if you couldn't even high five, shake hands, or hug.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Rogue and Gambit had the hots for each other but Rogue couldn't touch anybody. That was a common thread among X-Men thing that explained her personality; she kept people at a distance because she hosed up whoever she touched. It registers as "holy poo poo that sucks" because humans generally really like to touch each other. Think about how different life would be if you couldn't even high five, shake hands, or hug.

It was also kind of interesting that, despite this, Rogue was an upbeat, fun Southern gal who liked beating poo poo up. She just had a tragic part of her life that came up sometimes.

X-Men Evolution made her a mopey goth, and most comic writers in recent years aren't much better. It just makes her really one note for everything to be about how sad she is about that one thing.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

I remember the last season of JoJo would do this thing where it would cover gore with a shadow, like someone's face being ripped off or a crane hook smashing a head in. Understandable, but then it would do the same thing when someone smokes a cigarette, just shadowed face whafting smoke while looking at the sun or whatever.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Sorry about the crappy uploader added music but this scene:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=neky7mxchcM

Is really intense, especially in the last bits with Jack going apeshit and getting a robot bug in half while it covers him from head to toe in oil-blood and then standing on a pile of bodies dripping in oil. For a show ostensibly for kids, it's incredibly brutal. It's not hard to mentally substitute blood for oil and guts with sudden cybernetic parts from otherwise humanoid creatures.

With Samurai Jack returning on Adult Swim, I wonder if they'll keep the robot innards or if they can actually show real blood this time around.

Same thing with the Transformers movies where they are absolutely brutal but it's robots so its OK.

Hell... the Transformers ride at Universal Studios starts with a scene where Bumblebee rips a (robot) dog's head off with his bare hands. Then later the audience (well actually the transformer they are "riding" but first person) shoots someone point blank in the chest. Plus the general robot on robot violence you expect. All in a family theme park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SQtBh_LCNs

Zero One has a new favorite as of 03:48 on Feb 20, 2016

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Anyone remember when Comedy Central would show Cheech and Chong movies back in the nineties and every single reference to weed was replaced with diamonds?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

On the Michigan "sodomy law"

http://www.snopes.com/michigan-senate-crime-against-nature/
"The Michigan Penal Code still contains language stating that a person who commits "crimes against nature with mankind" is guilty of a felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison. While this language is outdated and in direct opposition of the Supreme Court's Lawrence v. Texas ruling, it still requires the efforts of lawmakers to be removed. When the Michigan Senate passed SB219, the senators opted for reasons of practicality to focus on implementing stronger animal cruelty laws and ignore language referring to a unenforceable, decades-old sodomy law."

"Although several states (including Michigan) still have laws on the books criminalizing sodomy, these laws cannot be enforced."

The law isn't enforceable because it's already been overruled by the Supreme Court years ago, but no lawmaker feels like being the one to remove the old language, since there's nothing to gain. The new law is really about animal abuse and uses prior laws as its base that were created before sodomy laws were struck down by the Supreme Court. It's just old leftovers from 80+ years ago. There are tons of archaic laws still lying around that aren't worth the headache and cost to remove. Furthermore, some senators like the idea of leaving it in as illegal because, if nothing else, it can be used to protect minors who are sexually abused.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Eclipse12 posted:

Furthermore, some senators like the idea of leaving it in as illegal because, if nothing else, it can be used to protect minors who are sexually abused.

How does that work? Like, what's the legal outcome that's different because there's an unenforceable law on the books?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Presumably it would be another charge to slap on a child molester and anyone trying to strike it down would look really bad on account of "trying to reduce that pedophile's sentence! :bahgawd:". Jurisprudence! :pseudo:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sounds like a gimme as grounds for appeal.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Well that's what I mean by "trying to strike it down". :v: It's all conjecture anyway, I doubt the law's been called on successfully since it was declared unconstitutional, or at least I hope it hasn't.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

AlphaKretin posted:

Presumably it would be another charge to slap on a child molester and anyone trying to strike it down would look really bad on account of "trying to reduce that pedophile's sentence! :bahgawd:". Jurisprudence! :pseudo:

More or less. I don't know how the Supreme Court's decision is exactly worded, but it likely refers to consensual adults. Children can't consent, so perhaps the law could still be enforceable. More likely, lawmakers don't want to remove anything that might lessen the possible offenses against children.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

One of the MegaTen games features Hitler as an antagonist.

they later censored it in the remake by calling him Fuhrer and giving him sunglasses

Just a instance of censorship actually making things better. :allears:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

What? :psyduck: There's not way that actually appeased a previously angry ratings board, that character is still transparently, literally Hitler. Wow.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

AlphaKretin posted:

What? :psyduck: There's not way that actually appeased a previously angry ratings board, that character is still transparently, literally Hitler. Wow.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why talking about whacky censorship standards is so fun! :haw:

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Detective Buttfuck posted:

I remember the last season of JoJo would do this thing where it would cover gore with a shadow, like someone's face being ripped off or a crane hook smashing a head in. Understandable, but then it would do the same thing when someone smokes a cigarette, just shadowed face whafting smoke while looking at the sun or whatever.

They only censor smoking when it's a minor doing it. Jotaro is supposed to be 17.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Literally HitlerFuhrer

My current avatar is a gift I'm fond of, so I'll let someone else take my insomnia-driven inspiration.
I probably won't find this so funny in the morning

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

AlphaKretin posted:

Literally HitlerFuhrer

My current avatar is a gift I'm fond of, so I'll let someone else take my insomnia-driven inspiration.
I probably won't find this so funny in the morning

I think another poster actually has Cool Dude Fuhrer as his avatar already, before this topic in fact.

E: Despite my lack of :effort: and Photoshop know-how, it'd be funny if someone edited it into a loop of his glasses raising and him winking before the shades come down again.

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Feb 20, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That doesn't surprise me in the least. Oh well.

Content: You know how ESRB makes games have that "online content not rated" disclaimer because you can't reasonably rate what random dickheads say over voice chat? Yeah that's way too logical for the ACB, "online interactivity" is a rating category they look at and bump games up for.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Though it's kind of valid if you can't lock out the online play, especially if it includes voice/text/video communication, and doubly especially if it's the kind that invades into the single player campaign.

Consoles should have a parental control mode where the console itself is online so you can play digital games and get updates and save syncing and whatnot but report to the games themselves that there's no internet connection. Obviously the real answer is "watch what your kids are doing", but it'd be nice for them to have toys where you don't have to constantly watch over their shoulders to see if dongs will pop up as avatars

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Lord Lambeth posted:

One of the MegaTen games features Hitler as an antagonist.

they later censored it in the remake by calling him Fuhrer and giving him sunglasses

Just a instance of censorship actually making things better. :allears:

The English version of Bionic Commando on NES also had Hitler as an antagonist, although he was called "Master-D" like he was in a breakdance troupe from 1983. His head violently explodes, something completely unheard of in an NES game where the Nintendo Seal of Quality meant no gore or blood (from an otherwise long list of no-no's).

Also scrubbed of references: nazis called "Badds," and stuff like this:

I think even a "drat" slipped through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

AlphaKretin posted:

That doesn't surprise me in the least. Oh well.

Content: You know how ESRB makes games have that "online content not rated" disclaimer because you can't reasonably rate what random dickheads say over voice chat? Yeah that's way too logical for the ACB, "online interactivity" is a rating category they look at and bump games up for.

I guess it makes sense in a certain way that if you leave kids to their own devices online, more likely than not it's going to devolve into a whirlwind of screaming, cursing, and racial slurs. Lord knows we get that enough already in Call of Duty and CSGO.

• Locked thread