Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruit-by-the-Foot Fetish
Aug 3, 2012
OK, I am going to put my neck out on the chopping block again, and risk another theory being shot down.

It's known that putting radiowaves on a charged particle puts a push on it. What if you could ionically charge a liquid substance, then put electrical current through it? If the source of current was with the substance, and not tied down, wouldn't the current source and substance be moved by putting current through a container of plasma fuel? If someone put this set up in a spacecraft, and then somehow developed anti-gravity propulsion to prevent acceleration G-force from injuring those in the spacecraft, could a "UFO" be successfully built? I know that if electrical current moved through a syrup-like liquid filled with ionically charged particles, that the electrical push on the charged particles could move the mass of an ionically charged substance, so this is within the realm of possibility, barring any unknown unknowns.

Note that the ship currently has it's own gravity. Thus any G force wouldn't just throw you against the wall when taking off and air could be held inside the ship. What kind of safety reinforcements would the craft need to block radiation? How much reactant plasma mass would be necessary to achieve the electrical thrust needed for space travel? More importantly, what is the minimum amount of thrust that would be required to leave orbit before NORAD would be capable of scrambling F-16s to destroy my ship, given a launch in San Diego?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

youve done it youve solved it fire everyone on nasa and hire this guy

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
might I suggest the soothing reassurance of risperdal op

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
You're gonna need a big ship to carry all those lemons

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
you should write this all down as quickly as you can and bring it to your local police station so no one steals your idea

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I'm with the government and after reading your post I would like to invite you to join our secret laboratory in the Nevada desert. Take a bus to Las Vegas and start walking due north. We'll pick you up and take you there when you are sufficiently away from civilization.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

carrion kit posted:

you should write this all down as quickly as you can and bring it to your local police station so no one steals your idea

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Time cube's domain is up for grabs, I think. You should publish there

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
They already have Ion Drives op.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/about/fs21grc.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_thruster

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I ask myself why? Why read this thread. Might as well ask why I eat at Arby's or make a tinder profile as a 35 year old single father.

I choose to read this thread! I choose to read this thread. And the other one. Not because it is intelligent; but because it is dumb

Noblesse Obliged fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 18, 2016

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

hampton posted:

OK, I am going to put my neck out on the chopping block again, and risk another theory being shot down.

It's known that putting radiowaves on a charged particle puts a push on it. What if you could ionically charge a liquid substance, then put electrical current through it? If the source of current was with the substance, and not tied down, wouldn't the current source and substance be moved by putting current through a container of plasma fuel? If someone put this set up in a spacecraft, and then somehow developed anti-gravity propulsion to prevent acceleration G-force from injuring those in the spacecraft, could a "UFO" be successfully built? I know that if electrical current moved through a syrup-like liquid filled with ionically charged particles, that the electrical push on the charged particles could move the mass of an ionically charged substance, so this is within the realm of possibility, barring any unknown unknowns.

Note that the ship currently has it's own gravity. Thus any G force wouldn't just throw you against the wall when taking off and air could be held inside the ship. What kind of safety reinforcements would the craft need to block radiation? How much reactant plasma mass would be necessary to achieve the electrical thrust needed for space travel? More importantly, what is the minimum amount of thrust that would be required to leave orbit before NORAD would be capable of scrambling F-16s to destroy my ship, given a launch in San Diego?

no no no no no you don't build a spacecraft capable of lightspeed you build light capable of shipspeed

stupid fucker

im not reading your post

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

your onto something op

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

hampton posted:

somehow developed anti-gravity

good news op i accidentally tripped over a garden hose and hosed your mom and somehow developed antigravity so you can check that off the list

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

VectorSigma posted:

good news op i accidentally tripped over a garden hose and hosed your mom and somehow developed antigravity so you can check that off the list

I seen his mom and she is most definetly got a lot of gravity

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

VectorSigma posted:

whoops spoke too soon turns out it isn't antigravity i just settled into a mom-earth lagrange point

Aug 4, 2010

i reckon we could do it, lets do it

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
No

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

VectorSigma posted:

whoops spoke too soon turns out it isn't antigravity i just settled into a mom-earth lagrange point

lol

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why do we build anything in space when we have so many problems to solve here!?

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
Congratulations, you've invented the arcjet.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

space isn't real

it's just turtles

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

op im starting to think the 'slipspace rupture' we were worried about was some poster banging your mom

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Sethex posted:

Why do we build anything in space when we have so many problems to solve here!?

So that we can shoot those problems into space.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

hampton posted:

????

are you like the new riddler or something please don't bomb San Diego

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

FishionMailed posted:

????

are you like the new riddler or something please don't bomb San Diego

He is mistyping ionically and actually means ironically.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
No. Sorry OP

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

The propulsion system needs to use ironically charged particles.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Pawn 17 posted:

Somebody send this guy to jpl!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Just make a bong from a gatorade bottle

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Have you tried DMT

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Pawn 17 posted:

Shut the gently caress up and read replies before you post you subhuman cretin.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

VectorSigma posted:

no seriously, someone help me it's really cold at 45,000 ft. pretty sure i'm at L2 because i can see groups of trojans at what would be L4 and L5 before sunrise and after sunset. i suppose some of them could be durex or other off-brands though.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Build a mock up and we'll talk! I have a old pickle jar full of loose change I can use to invest.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

do you guys think that a space blimp would work

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

like just float on up to the ol stratosphere and then into space

space works like that right

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lol if you cant just astrally project yourself into the cosmos as your whim dictates

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
the zybourbe clock

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Are you the same goon who wanted to invent a new kind of helicopter with chains for the rotor blades?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

criscodisco posted:

Are you the same goon who wanted to invent a new kind of helicopter with chains for the rotor blades?

Sounds like a comouter game boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
In syphon filter you shoot the invincible boss into helicopter blades to kill him. Wish someone would do tgis to ISIS...

• Locked thread