Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Like they're just sitting around doing math stuff. Don't they got a job to go to or a family to love? Just totally obsessed with spelling out math with triangles and squares and putting everything into patterns. Holy poo poo lol they were just giant spergs weren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Too bad they didn't focus on economics.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Haha holy poo poo youre right op, also check out this duck:

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Believe it or not many cultures in history had a reverence for knowledge and scholars. It's only due to the severe conditioning of your mind by the capitalist hegemony that you view the pursuit of knowledge as less valuable than a more mundane trade. HTH

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Actually, Greek mathematicians were the rock stars of their day.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Anyway, check out this duck someone just showed me:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
"yeah man those loving loser's who's name we still remember literally millenia later" said goon who is immediately forgotten by everyone other than his mom.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Didn't Pythagoras has some death cult that worshiped numbers or something?

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Cnut the Great posted:

Anyway, check out this duck someone just showed me:

Cool duck

mehmedbasic
Jul 6, 2015
I think most of the great mathematicians were wealthy enough to afford sitting around and drawing triangles.

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
it turns out that being able to math is sometimes pretty valuable to people who can't math

mehmedbasic
Jul 6, 2015

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Yes, it was a whole system of retardedness:
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Pythagoreanism

They weren't allowed to eat beans.. Crazy people.

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Pretty much. You were required to give up your property upon initiation and to swear an oath upon the sacred Tetractys, a mystical geometric figure. His cult of weird numeromancers freaked people out so much that they eventually ran his followers out of southern Italy.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
sounds like a cool idea for a period horror film tbh

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I don't know but I bet he had a lot of groupies that worshiped his gigantic dick. Dude looked like a tripod whenever he stood up. "Find the length of the hypotenuse, bitch," he'd command his lustful admirers--and the rest is history.

mehmedbasic
Jul 6, 2015
pyramidhead

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

mehmedbasic posted:

pyramidhead

lmao

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
what's the square root of a gyro? :confused:

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

they murdered him because he made a bad pie or something, really puts that trash can kickin guy into perspective

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i figured out a lot of stuff about triangles by myself when i was a little kid
big loving deal
i hope all of those greek mathematicians die

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

mehmedbasic posted:

I think most of the great mathematicians were wealthy enough to afford sitting around and drawing triangles.

Most sumerian math was done to manage trade accounts in the grain and olive oil markets, the tablets were basically a bronze age SEC rule book.

In greek culture up to the italian renaissance, early research institutions were more akin to modern trading shops then the oxford style lecture halls we see today. For most of the early bronze to 0AD period students were deadbeat oligarch children who were sent off to learn property and rent management for fear they would make crappy conscripts in the Grekos armies. The Plato description of an average day at the lectures matches up squarely with an 16th century monk's trade/apprenticeship schedule.

When iron age shipping advanced beyond small costal skiffs the need for need for math to manage inventory, logistics and quality control rapidly took off according to arabic & hellenic texts. The whole Archimedean experiment was to prevent early gold fixing & currency fraud. Most trig and lunar tracking was done for the futures market so farmers could properly know the ideal time for crop loans (from said broker/dealers) and the optimal planting cycles. Most early cultures figured the constellations and polythestic gods were technical omens.

Antiphon was a trust fund kiddie who figured out how to square a circle, likely related to solving complex civil engineering designs
Aristarchus was a grain trader who tracked the solar cycles to figure out how to properly manage inventories
Aristotle was the son of the chief doctor to the monarchy and a college dropout who became a lifelong tutor to dictators
Autolycus was a prof who made a living finding old texts from Mesopotamia, copying and reselling them with his deadbeat buddy Aristotle. The original ESTY
Byson proved PI works, general tenured academic
Diocles, made the parabola and general math forms for geometry, probably a trader or at least a consulting professor given his relationship with Appolinous and who usually financed astrology/solar cycles back in early Greece.
Euclid, developed euclidean geometry's principles.
Hero of Alexandria, allegedly invented the steam engine when the rest of greece was trying to solve for X given Y.
Hipparchus, founded Trig. Sin that poo poo. His patron is lost to history.

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 18, 2016

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
How in the gently caress were the Greeks so great at math, yet the Romans showed up with that utterly retarded numeral system?
I recall a day in math class where we tried to do maths with Roman numerals and were soon actually glad to appreciate the sanity of arabic numbering.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Say what you want about math what's really balls is how they fruited up the Greek Pantheon imo

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Shaquin posted:

Say what you want about math what's really balls is how they fruited up the Greek Pantheon imo

I am going to say what I want about math.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Ah yeah lotta great gods and myths here Greeks if you don't mind we are gonna swap out the cool names and just generally lame the whole thing up a lot Roma Invicta fuckheads

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Shaquin posted:

Ah yeah lotta great gods and myths here Greeks if you don't mind we are gonna swap out the cool names and just generally lame the whole thing up a lot Roma Invicta fuckheads

greeks were all https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphrodite

and romans were all https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrine_of_Venus_Cloacina

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Hal_2005 posted:

Most sumerian math was done to manage trade accounts in the grain and olive oil markets, the tablets were basically a bronze age SEC rule book.

In greek culture up to the italian renaissance, early research institutions were more akin to modern trading shops then the oxford style lecture halls we see today. For most of the early bronze to 0AD period students were deadbeat oligarch children who were sent off to learn property and rent management for fear they would make crappy conscripts in the Grekos armies. The Plato description of an average day at the lectures matches up squarely with an 16th century monk's trade/apprenticeship schedule.

When iron age shipping advanced beyond small costal skiffs the need for need for math to manage inventory, logistics and quality control rapidly took off according to arabic & hellenic texts. The whole Archimedean experiment was to prevent early gold fixing & currency fraud. Most trig and lunar tracking was done for the futures market so farmers could properly know the ideal time for crop loans (from said broker/dealers) and the optimal planting cycles. Most early cultures figured the constellations and polythestic gods were technical omens.

Antiphon was a trust fund kiddie who figured out how to square a circle, likely related to solving complex civil engineering designs
Aristarchus was a grain trader who tracked the solar cycles to figure out how to properly manage inventories
Aristotle was the son of the chief doctor to the monarchy and a college dropout who became a lifelong tutor to dictators
Autolycus was a prof who made a living finding old texts from Mesopotamia, copying and reselling them with his deadbeat buddy Aristotle. The original ESTY
Byson proved PI works, general tenured academic
Diocles, made the parabola and general math forms for geometry, probably a trader or at least a consulting professor given his relationship with Appolinous and who usually financed astrology/solar cycles back in early Greece.
Euclid, developed euclidean geometry's principles.
Hero of Alexandria, allegedly invented the steam engine when the rest of greece was trying to solve for X given Y.
Hipparchus, founded Trig. Sin that poo poo. His patron is lost to history.

Thread redeemed.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Mobile wikipedia pages are much more pleasing on the eyes than the desktop variant :eyepop:

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Helical Nightmares posted:

Thread redeemed.

hey hey listen to this!!! more like, thread redumbded!!!!!!

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

"yeah man those loving loser's who's name we still remember literally millenia later" said goon who is immediately forgotten by everyone other than his mom.

Yeah but we know them for math. Like they're literally just so drat nerdy that so many years later we still want to give them wedgies. At least be like the Spartans you know?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Avocados posted:

Mobile wikipedia pages are much more pleasing on the eyes than the desktop variant :eyepop:
the stats table on the right only floats right through one main section... uhhhh no thank you to viewing mobile links on desktop

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Volume posted:

Yeah but we know them for math. Like they're literally just so drat nerdy that so many years later we still want to give them wedgies. At least be like the Spartans you know?

The battle of 300 only occured because King Leonidas was bad at math and made a rounding error.

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

Champenema posted:

How in the gently caress were the Greeks so great at math, yet the Romans showed up with that utterly retarded numeral system?
I recall a day in math class where we tried to do maths with Roman numerals and were soon actually glad to appreciate the sanity of arabic numbering.

the greeks represented numbers with lines so it was actually worse than roman numerals

here's how Euclid proved there's infinitely many primes

here's how Euclid showed the sum of even numbers is even

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I have to learn these math things like calculus and statistics... Why can't mathmans of the future make this junk obsolete.?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
euclid wasnt a historical person he was an amalgamation of over 1000 years worth of stealing all my proofs thru the use of timetravel, the formula for which i also invented and they also stole

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
drawing triangles in the dirt is the iPad of ancient greece, don't knock it until you live there

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Tommah posted:

the greeks represented numbers with lines so it was actually worse than roman numerals

here's how Euclid proved there's infinitely many primes

here's how Euclid showed the sum of even numbers is even

what's wrong with this notation?!?! these are the kind of proofs you could scratch in the sand with a stick and i think we were better off with that approach

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
is a circle really a circle or is it just a square with infinite many sides?? scientists have no idea., yet all modern science is based on circulist asumptions.....

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Oi vey! life is hard as a greek man. I wear a bed sheet and all I do is eat olives and figure out how to invent triangles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

MiracleWhale posted:

what's wrong with this notation?!?! these are the kind of proofs you could scratch in the sand with a stick and i think we were better off with that approach

nothings wrong with it but id rather figure out (325468*3221325)^2 using our poo poo

• Locked thread