Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
It's happened again, a hardworking educated white man has posted his grievances with the City of San Francisco for all the world to see. It's really worth reading but the gist of it is

quote:

...the reality is, we live in a free market society. The wealthy working people have earned their right to live in the city. They went out, got an education, work hard, and earned it. I shouldn’t have to worry about being accosted. I shouldn’t have to see the pain, struggle, and despair of homeless people to and from my way to work every day.

This is becoming a sort of spectator sport in the city these days, watching wealthy transplants air out their frustrations of living in a city that has visible poor people or trans sex workers or how cold it gets in July. And the hits keep coming. 10 Things I Hate About You kicked it off wherein the Peter Shih lists all the problems with the city he made a deliberate decision to move to.

quote:

I hate how the weather here is like a woman who is constantly PMSing.
Big shock, that post didn't go over well. He took the post down because people did a little digging and found he was the CEO of Celery and he became terrified that it might negatively impact his company's brand.
Then we had This Guy who can't stand that homeless people don't seem to know their place.

quote:

The difference is in other cosmopolitan cities, the lower part of society keep to themselves. They sell small trinkets, beg coyly, stay quiet, and generally stay out of your way. They realize it's a privilege to be in the civilized part of town and view themselves as guests. And that's okay.

This latest open letter has spawned two excellent open letter replies.
Jim Gavin congratulates "Justin" for writing an excellent piece of satire.
Edna Raia does an excellent job of providing context for Justin to illustrate just how ridiculous his post is.

Of course there's no shortage of techbros making ridiculous statements on twitter or in the comments sections of articles. The common theme seems to be entitlement and extreme lack of awareness of the larger picture. These guys see a strung out homeless junkie and seem themselves as the victims for being subjected to the sight of poverty. They demand the city do something like they or the companies they work for never demanded huge tax breaks to accommodate them or their enterprises in the first place. The fact that entire buildings that used to be apartments on the market have become AirBnB rentals is completely lost on them when they complain that rent control is the reason rents are so high. Then they complain that they have to pay too much to rent a lovely room in an historically lovely neighborhood without ever once considering that they're the ones who agreed to pay that rent in that neighborhood in the first place. From my perspective though this city is so, so much more than tolerable, it really is a magical place to me. If anything has degraded the quality of life here in the last 5 years it's the people writing these hate letters to the city. I don't know if it's just shameful joy that makes these techbro thinkpieces so entertaining to me. But please share more of them, tweets, vlogs, blogs I can't get enough techbro manifestos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I'm a tech bro in San Francisco and his description of the types of poo poo (lol) you see is very real. I live and work in SOMA, and goddam the amount of grim things you see happening here is mind boggling. It's literally India-levels of ghetto in some parts over here.

The streets literally smell of piss and poo.

edit: I don't agree with the blog post, just providing some first hand accounts of how lovely the whole city is.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 18, 2016

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What a surprise, when you declare your city a haven for the homeless, a whole bunch of them come there and set up shop.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

-Troika- posted:

What a surprise, when you declare your city a haven for the homeless, a whole bunch of them come there and set up shop.

Holy poo poo.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The techbros are coming from inside the forums

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This guy's whining is hilarious on so many levels, not least that one of the reasons there's no affordable housing in the area is because all the white left-leaning rich people just hate the hell out of the idea of having anyone build some anywhere near them.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Armani posted:

Holy poo poo.

Just a little context for the kind of person that makes a post like that: Troika is a landlord that filed for a lien on a homeless man's belongings and then proudly posted about it on-line.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
I love that america has produced an entire subculture of people who believe wealth makes them superior, and then put them in charge of an industry of the very highest importance. Again.

What makes it even better is the way they apply their arrogance: on everything that exists. These guys are so incapable of normal human functioning that they need their employers to provide laundry services, ball pits and special buses, but at the same time they think they're unparalleled geniuses who can make food obsolete off of the back of maybe reading wikipedia for a total of fifteen minutes.

It's so exciting that we've finally given world changing power and wealth to guys who can't figure out what foil seals on milk bottles are for until the people they've poisoned explain it to them.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Don't worry they aren't in charge of anything important. But don't tell them that.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Morbus posted:

Don't worry they aren't in charge of anything important. But don't tell them that.

lol this guy

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
There was a pretty good exchange of a guy complaining on twitter about how there's no culture where he lives and it's all soulless, boring shops and just couldn't make the connection that tech taking off and running out the culture would probably have an impact on that.

Going to laugh when the bottom falls out and prices barely move though. Also not going to be sad to see places like AirBNB die out too.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Imagine if there was social media in the 1950s and it was white carbros posting about Detroit.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

HorseLord posted:

I love that america has produced an entire subculture of people who believe wealth makes them superior, and then put them in charge of an industry of the very highest importance. Again.

most of what these guys do is really not important at all they're just making marginal incremental improvements to relatively niche fields and getting outlandish venture capital out of it because it's the most exciting bet you can make at the moment

like the latest idiot to whine about poor people runs a startup that makes an app that streamlines remote server management. ooo wow you invented RDP good job

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
I should probably expand on my earlier point. They're not just arrogant and deluded about their capabilities outside of their normal fields. They're arrogant and deluded about that too. They think they know best and act without consulting their users and customers, which is why basically every change to sites like Facebook, Youtube and Twitter is overwhelmingly panned.

When people somehow manage to get them to read feedback the result is always something like this:

A little later...

I can't think of any other industry where the engineers don't know how their product works when it's used, or what it's for. It's like if some company decided that what big families need is a double decker car, with bumpers made of bricks to prevent dents.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It's true that SF does have a big homeless problem. It seems like the problem with trying to fix the homeless problem locally is that the incentives are all misaligned. Of course you're going to get more homeless people if your city is nicer to the homeless. Homeless people aren't idiots, why wouldn't they go to where the local government isn't dicks to them? It's something that needs more of a national solution, but then the problem is that the GOP would just block any serious action.

edit: also it's a lot harder to adopt a successful policy like SLC's Housing First when you're rabidly opposed to development and have the highest housing costs of any major city in the country.

For those who haven't heard about it before:

quote:

In the past nine years, Utah has decreased the number of homeless by 72 percent—largely by finding and building apartments where they can live, permanently, with no strings attached. It's a program, or more accurately a philosophy, called Housing First.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/02/housing-first-solution-to-homelessness-utah

Cicero fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 19, 2016

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

most of what these guys do is really not important at all they're just making marginal incremental improvements to relatively niche fields and getting outlandish venture capital out of it because it's the most exciting bet you can make at the moment

like the latest idiot to whine about poor people runs a startup that makes an app that streamlines remote server management. ooo wow you invented RDP good job

It's an endless cycle. Every time an industry grows people in it get loads of free money and then assume it's because they are amazing.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
There's a serve the people program being ran in Utah? By the government?

That's the best news I've heard in a long time.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

sean10mm posted:

Imagine if there was social media in the 1950s and it was white carbros posting about Detroit.

I'd love to hear Henry Ford tweet about his love of Hitler and the benefits of yogurt enemas.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

HorseLord posted:

There's a serve the people program being ran in Utah? By the government?

That's the best news I've heard in a long time.
Utah is very conservative, but it has a certain pragmatic streak to it, too. For example, the law they passed around immigration was a stark contrast to Arizona's (from back when that was a big news story): http://www.npr.org/2011/03/18/134626178/utahs-new-immigration-law-a-model-for-america

I also understand that they've been improving public transportation a lot in the last several years, as well as biking (they did the second protected intersection in the whole country just last year).

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I'd love to hear Henry Ford tweet about his love of Hitler and the benefits of yogurt enemas.

Henry Ford (@TinLizT) 1945
lol today i went to the american sector and they offered me @Volkswagen. as if anyone would buy those shitboxes

Henry Ford (@TinLizT) 1947
WAIT poo poo

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This sounds like a person who should experience ego death.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Why not regular death?

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
Thinking maybe homeless people are really suffering from an image/branding problem. You tell techbros that homeless people are just out there disrupting the urban landscape and homeless people would end up flush with series B funding and a break room stocked with Cliff Bars and a beer tap.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HorseLord posted:

What makes it even better is the way they apply their arrogance: on everything that exists. These guys are so incapable of normal human functioning that they need their employers to provide laundry services, ball pits and special buses, but at the same time they think they're unparalleled geniuses who can make food obsolete off of the back of maybe reading wikipedia for a total of fifteen minutes.

It's so exciting that we've finally given world changing power and wealth to guys who can't figure out what foil seals on milk bottles are for until the people they've poisoned explain it to them.

I don't think that's a uniquely American phenomenon. Though I suppose tech enclaves are a particularly good example of it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

HorseLord posted:

I should probably expand on my earlier point. They're not just arrogant and deluded about their capabilities outside of their normal fields. They're arrogant and deluded about that too. They think they know best and act without consulting their users and customers, which is why basically every change to sites like Facebook, Youtube and Twitter is overwhelmingly panned.

When people somehow manage to get them to read feedback the result is always something like this:

A little later...

I can't think of any other industry where the engineers don't know how their product works when it's used, or what it's for. It's like if some company decided that what big families need is a double decker car, with bumpers made of bricks to prevent dents.

Every time I see an article about Twitter's decline I think of that series of tweets and laugh laugh laugh. Of course your product is going to suck when your loving engineers have no idea what the average user experience is like. Ask anyone who uses Twitter for more than a day what features they want, you'll get 3 answers:

1. Better security options for dealing with trolling, abuse, or blocking people, and more responsiveness from support on those issues.
2. Easier access for third-party apps (setting up something like Twindere is a nightmare)
3. THE ABILITY TO EDIT TWEETS (even within a limited window like 90 seconds or something)

Nope, better keep chasing Facebook though.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HorseLord posted:

Why not regular death?

A drug experience and education/rehabilitation are preferable. Let them understand the second amendment as the freedom of apoptosis.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Why is the assumption that homeless people 'flock' to San Fransisco, as opposed to more people becoming homeless due to rising rent prices?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Projection?

I mean I assume some people probably have moved there if they can but obviously the ability to move across large parts of America is probably not very readily available to the homeless.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Every time I see an article about Twitter's decline I think of that series of tweets and laugh laugh laugh. Of course your product is going to suck when your loving engineers have no idea what the average user experience is like. Ask anyone who uses Twitter for more than a day what features they want, you'll get 3 answers:

1. Better security options for dealing with trolling, abuse, or blocking people, and more responsiveness from support on those issues.
2. Easier access for third-party apps (setting up something like Twindere is a nightmare)
3. THE ABILITY TO EDIT TWEETS (even within a limited window like 90 seconds or something)

Nope, better keep chasing Facebook though.

#1 is currently a hot button issue but I hope it's actually properly done. I've seen a lot of people latch on to the Twitter harassers meme that are basically saying 'I have a blue checkmark and these people are calling me a moron, please make them stop' like Matt 'It's okay when people die in Bangladesh of preventable factory disasters as long as my chinos are cheap' Yglesias and others who really aren't on the same page as less fortunate people. The case James Woods is pushing scares me too because it's basically the same thing except if the user is revealed by the court case he's already lost. Of course this is Twitter so it's probably going to be a sledgehammer and criticism will be the same as harassment.

#2 just makes me sad since I miss all the good third party twitter apps before they hosed that up.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

kliksf posted:

Thinking maybe homeless people are really suffering from an image/branding problem. You tell techbros that homeless people are just out there disrupting the urban landscape and homeless people would end up flush with series B funding and a break room stocked with Cliff Bars and a beer tap.

Techbros speak out against urban landscape disruptors. Irony is is so 20th Century.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

HorseLord posted:

make food obsolete off of the back of maybe reading wikipedia for a total of fifteen minutes.

Speaking of that, Is the soylent sperg dead yet? The latest thing I heard of him os him wearing a jumpsuit and living in a moving truck.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Eat the rich

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
I really want to be welcoming to everybody I've been here 25 years and this city welcomed me so I want to return the favor. And I get it, so many of these guys really are talented, hard-working dedicated professionals I don't hold that against them at all. But there's a lot of poseurs and lovely opportunists and people who are attracted to the city simply because it's an expensive place.

quote:

The wealthy working people have earned their right to live in the city. They went out, got an education, work hard, and earned it. I shouldn’t have to worry about being accosted. I shouldn’t have to see the pain, struggle, and despair of homeless people to and from my way to work every day.
Part of the reason he came here was because it was a city for wealthy, hard-working professionals and if the reason he moved here was because this is where he got his job it's entirely likely that the reason his office is located here is because of tax breaks offered to his company. Which means the city doesn't get the kind of revenue it ordinarily would for a place swimming in wealth which means the services he's requesting from the mayor and police chief are going to be underfunded. The tech culture, at least where it interfaces with the people and establishments in the city, is just as repulsive and entitled as you've heard. There's been a normalization of deviance with regards to how companies like Uber and Postmates treat its employees or that they keep track of and post things like the Rides of Shame You can't walk down the sidewalk without some guy blocking you by staring at his phone on one side of the sidewalk with a leash going to his French Bulldog on the other side of the sidewalk. Talk about having to endure people getting into a fight near you I've watched guys who fit the techbro mold getting into it with each other over parking spaces or who was next in line at the food truck. Black people have been so thoroughly marginalized and pushed out of course these guys are easily intimidated by black people, the racism you see is real casual but it's real and it sucks. These are my new neighbors. So in that light it's really hard to feel welcoming to techbros and if they weren't such assholes and crushing people out of their homes I don't think reading these guys' rants would be nearly so entertaining.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

jfood posted:

Why is the assumption that homeless people 'flock' to San Fransisco, as opposed to more people becoming homeless due to rising rent prices?

Well, there's NV and who knows where else transporting their homeless to SF, and presumably the homeless in dire nearby shitholes like Fresno get on a cheap bus (or are given a ticket, Greyhound from SF to Fresno is as low as $20) because it's better to be destitute in SF than Fresno. There's probably also a stickyness to SF vs other cities; my town has homeless of the non-total batshit variety and every now and then you'll see one hitching south to SF where they likely stay, and my town's weather is almost as nice as SF. Not having annual freeze/boil weather makes survival a lot easier.

As for rents, while that may contribute the homeless that people are complaining about were likely priced out long, long before this guy showed up. SF has been expensive for a long time and people who could afford rent but suddenly can't I assume aren't instantly transitioning into substance abuse, mental health issues, and street making GBS threads, they're more likely to just leave.

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
You know it's a legit phenomenon when it's a quiz on the Guardian website
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/18/quiz-which-jaw-droppingly-awful-thing-did-these-tech-people-actually-say

Morbus
May 18, 2004

jfood posted:

The people living on the streets of SF very obviously have problems bigger than being priced out of local apartments (which in any case as the poster above notes, would have happened a long time ago).

I mean its not like you go from being able to pay 1k/mo, to being unable to pay 2k/mo, to saying "WELP gently caress GETTING A ROOMMATE, TIME TO GET A SHOPPING CART AND YELL AT STRANGERS".

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

to be fair homeless people in san francisco do harass the poo poo out of people.

when i was 19 my girlfriend at the time got followed down the block by some psychopathic woman in the sunset who screamed in her ear calling her a oval office and a bitch.

i laughed as i watched a dude scream at the top of his lungs, whip his dick out in broad daylight, and piss in the middle of the street, but other people might not find it as amusing.

i don't live there nor am i rich or particularly ' entitled' (imo) but it's the only place where i've met homeless people who are openly hostile to people unprovoked by anything but their mere existence.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

straight up brolic posted:

to be fair homeless people in san francisco do harass the poo poo out of people.

when i was 19 my girlfriend at the time got followed down the block by some psychopathic woman in the sunset who screamed in her ear calling her a oval office and a bitch.

i laughed as i watched a dude scream at the top of his lungs, whip his dick out in broad daylight, and piss in the middle of the street, but other people might not find it as amusing.

i don't live there nor am i rich or particularly ' entitled' (imo) but it's the only place where i've met homeless people who are openly hostile to people unprovoked by anything but their mere existence.

this is homeless people everywhere, turns out when you live in a city sometimes you have to deal with folks who have significant Problems. if you don't like it there's a place where you dont have to deal with all that, it's called the suburbs, good luck and god bless

one of the first things i saw when i moved to downtown atlanta was a bum laying crosswise on the sidewalk masturbating, and college students going to and from class stepping over him like he was a puddle

e: i mean the chronically homeless, folks who end up living on the street for years because they're nuts and society has no way to help them. most homeless people are economically homeless for a short time and end up stable and employed

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 19, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this is homeless people everywhere, turns out when you live in a city sometimes you have to deal with folks who have significant Problems. if you don't like it there's a place where you dont have to deal with all that, it's called the suburbs, good luck and god bless

one of the first things i saw when i moved to downtown atlanta was a bum laying crosswise on the sidewalk masturbating, and college students going to and from class stepping over him like he was a puddle

e: i mean the chronically homeless, folks who end up living on the street for years because they're nuts and society has no way to help them. most homeless people are economically homeless for a short time and end up stable and employed
in my experience (probably only spent a cumulative year in SF, so i could be off base) the homeless population is much more aggressive in san francisco than in other large cities (where i've lived for the majority of my life)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The fact that San Fransisco is a not-at-all safe city is much more worrisome than the visible homelessness.

• Locked thread