Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
The peasants should learn their place and just be quiet and die silently as is their birthright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Bip Roberts posted:

The fact that San Fransisco is a not-at-all safe city is much more worrisome than the visible homelessness.

Two weeks ago my sister's friend got stabbed in the heart by some crazy rear end in a top hat outside a bar and died after 9 days in the ICU. SF has major problems with public safety.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

I'm sorry people do bad things sometimes. But don't extrapolate that meaning that it's a trend exclusive to San Francisco.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this is homeless people everywhere, turns out when you live in a city sometimes you have to deal with folks who have significant Problems. if you don't like it there's a place where you dont have to deal with all that, it's called the suburbs, good luck and god bless

homeless people are very nice in scandinavia. certainly much nicer than me.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

At least the cops in SF won't shoot a baby 14 times in the face because he looked at them funny.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sounds like we need to disrupt bar culture.

(that's awful tho dude)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

last time I visited the old country, a homeless man came up to me while I waited for a friend. I didn't have any cash, so I offered him a smoke. he was obviously unstable and very drunk, kind of going on stream of consciousness style, but besides being incoherent, he seemed like a nice guy. after ten minutes of that, he suddenly told me he loved me. out of nowhere. so I just said I loved him too, he kept talking, then he got up and left and my friend showed up. thirty minutes later, we saw him again; he didn't recognize me. nice guy though, wasn't bothering anyone. I hope he's doing okay.

well, that's one of many moderate-to-happy scandinavian homeless guy stories. most homeless people are fine most of the time, just like regular people, and suffering from schizophrenia doesn't make you 24/7 batshit. insufferable techbros can go gently caress themselves, though.

e: a person who implicitly believes they are entitled to exercise control over what enters their perceptual space is hosed in the head on a far more fundamental and insidious level than even Hollywood level schizophrenia could conceivably make them

Zodium fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 19, 2016

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

straight up brolic posted:

in my experience (probably only spent a cumulative year in SF, so i could be off base) the homeless population is much more aggressive in san francisco than in other large cities (where i've lived for the majority of my life)

A homeless person in Austin, Texas sat down next to me while I was reading a book at a cafe, latched on to my arm and then begin to describe in vivid detail how they had been sexually assaulted. In that same city I had to chase down a homeless person who snatched my friend's purse.

In D.C. I saw a homeless person walk right out in front of a moving bus, lie down, then crawl under it and refuse to move until the police dragged them out.

I live in NYC now and there's not a week that goes by where some mostly harmless homeless person isn't on the train scaring the gently caress out of people simply by existing and smelling bad (I know we've got a face slasher running around right now, but rarely are those people actually homeless).

The takeaway from those stories isn't that homeless people are inherently more dangerous than anyone else, it's that society doesn't give a gently caress about them until they're in your face, and that goes doubly for anyone who has probably been sheltered their entire lives, makes way too much money, and has an overblown sense of self-importance. If you read the letter that prompted this thread, you'll see that the tech bro in question commends SF for cleaning up the city during the Super Bowl. The millions that SF spent temporarily disappearing the problem could've been spent on providing long-term support and services to the homeless, but most cities are too busy catering to the [insert X industry here] to actually fix the goddamn problem, so we get this endless cycle of out-of-touch idiots complaining about the symptoms that disrupt their cushy lives. Same problems in Austin now where, as of 2014, we couldn't even get a resolution passed to fund long-term housing for the homeless, but plenty of money to revitalize the piss-ant creek that runs through downtown so the incoming tech bro wave can have somewhere scenic to walk after brunch.

As that example in Utah demonstrates, this isn't some intractable problem. We could fix homelessness tomorrow if we as a nation actually gave a poo poo, and as someone who has been homeless before (it's not fun!) I wish people would stop scapegoating the homeless as the cause of every social ill or disturbance and maybe do something about it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Yes, but that would involve utilizing compassion; and as the Jrode thread demonstrates, compassion is a limited resource. There's only so much of the stuff to go around, you know!

Furthermore, *faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart*

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 19, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So I guess the homeless are America's stand-in for the Roma.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rexicon1 posted:

The peasants should learn their place and just be quiet and die silently as is their birthright.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if human beings taste good

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like pork, supposedly. Probably some good crackling on those doughy startup nerds.

E: I am looking for some investment for my new startup, buying other, failed startups and repurposing their staff into the food production industry.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

in my experience (probably only spent a cumulative year in SF, so i could be off base) the homeless population is much more aggressive in san francisco than in other large cities (where i've lived for the majority of my life)

Well, yeah. If a homeless guy aggressively harasses someone on the East Coast they'll probably get punched rather than being made the subject of passive-aggressive tweets

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

kliksf posted:

It's happened again, a hardworking educated white man has posted his grievances with the City of San Francisco for all the world to see. It's really worth reading but the gist of it is

This is becoming a sort of spectator sport in the city these days, watching wealthy transplants air out their frustrations of living in a city that has visible poor people or trans sex workers or how cold it gets in July. And the hits keep coming. 10 Things I Hate About You kicked it off wherein the Peter Shih lists all the problems with the city he made a deliberate decision to move to.
Big shock, that post didn't go over well. He took the post down because people did a little digging and found he was the CEO of Celery and he became terrified that it might negatively impact his company's brand.
Then we had This Guy who can't stand that homeless people don't seem to know their place.

This latest open letter has spawned two excellent open letter replies.
Jim Gavin congratulates "Justin" for writing an excellent piece of satire.
Edna Raia does an excellent job of providing context for Justin to illustrate just how ridiculous his post is.

Of course there's no shortage of techbros making ridiculous statements on twitter or in the comments sections of articles. The common theme seems to be entitlement and extreme lack of awareness of the larger picture. These guys see a strung out homeless junkie and seem themselves as the victims for being subjected to the sight of poverty. They demand the city do something like they or the companies they work for never demanded huge tax breaks to accommodate them or their enterprises in the first place. The fact that entire buildings that used to be apartments on the market have become AirBnB rentals is completely lost on them when they complain that rent control is the reason rents are so high. Then they complain that they have to pay too much to rent a lovely room in an historically lovely neighborhood without ever once considering that they're the ones who agreed to pay that rent in that neighborhood in the first place. From my perspective though this city is so, so much more than tolerable, it really is a magical place to me. If anything has degraded the quality of life here in the last 5 years it's the people writing these hate letters to the city. I don't know if it's just shameful joy that makes these techbro thinkpieces so entertaining to me. But please share more of them, tweets, vlogs, blogs I can't get enough techbro manifestos.

If that individual does not wish to see homeless individuals, they are free to volunteer their time forming a non-profit start-up which provisions transitional services. Why does techbro demand government intervention in a sector which is much better handled by the invisible hand of the free market?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

OwlFancier posted:

Like pork, supposedly. Probably some good crackling on those doughy startup nerds.

E: I am looking for some investment for my new startup, buying other, failed startups and repurposing their staff into the food production industry.

Depends. Their rich diet gives a good marbling, but long hours in the office will make the meat tough.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually on second thought they'd just taste exactly like starbucks syrup.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
SF should legalize concealed carry. We'll see how long people keep banking on risk free assaults on the upper class.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SF should hand out guns to the homeless which would also rapidly eliminate assaults on the upper class.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
that's just what this thread needed, more impotent fantasies about doing violence to poor minorities

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

that's just what this thread needed, more impotent fantasies about doing violence to poor minorities

checkbox your privilege

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

DeusExMachinima posted:

SF should legalize concealed carry. We'll see how long people keep banking on risk free assaults on the upper class.

Being smelly near someone or even pushing them doesn't and shouldn't give you license to draw your firearm.

As a responsible gun owner, you should know this.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

People complain about the homeless in west coast cities like SF, LA, Seattle etc. but those cities have such intractable problems with homelessness because other cities push the homeless out. Also, it rarely gets below freezing in the winter out here, which is desirable if you have to be outside.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Why don't these ludicrously wealthy folks just do what they're good at and spend money to help the community - build day-care and pay for free day-care for low-income people, build some schools, build - spend - give back to the community.

I guarantee they sit in $800 office chairs - they can't consider using funds for other purposes?

If they see a problem why don't they loving offer to fix it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because some people buy into capitalism so thoroughly that they believe that having more money is evidence that they have the mandate of heaven, and it's simply their place to be on top and everyone else's place to please them as the superior beings they are.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cracker King posted:

Why don't these ludicrously wealthy folks just do what they're good at and spend money to help the community - build day-care and pay for free day-care for low-income people, build some schools, build - spend - give back to the community.

I guarantee they sit in $800 office chairs - they can't consider using funds for other purposes?

they do. they think the problem is the particular location of homeless people rather than the fact there are people who have nowhere to live, though.

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003

Cracker King posted:

Because the wealthy people have worked hard and earned their way into San Francisco, poor people need to recess into the corners. Not helped and treated like they belong in this city that only hard working wealthy people should be allowed to call home.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cracker King posted:

Because it's almost impossible to build anything new in San Francisco unless you, are, like, Donald Trump rich.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

For what it's worth - I'm unfamiliar with SF so please excuse my ignorance. But even if all these ultra-wealthy tech-bros pitched in and but!--grah!

They make me so upset!

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
the homeless in SF aren't a problem as long as you treat them properly, ie refuse to acknowledge them in any way, the techies are probably making eye contact or some poo poo

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Because some people buy into capitalism so thoroughly that they believe that having more money is evidence that they have the mandate of heaven, and it's simply their place to be on top and everyone else's place to please them as the superior beings they are.

So they're "Nu Calvinists" - maybe "Neo Calvinists"

Please don't hurt me if that catches on.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Cracker King posted:

Isn't that what taxes are for? To pay someone else to fix it? Someone who has the time to take care of it?

Trying to fix it themselves is gonna end up with them building Groverhaus out of poor people.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rockopolis posted:

Isn't that what taxes are for? To pay someone else to fix it? Someone who has the time to take care of it?

Trying to fix it themselves is gonna end up with them building Groverhaus out of poor people.

This is a demographic that's extremely opposed to taxes working for companies that get tax breaks and preferential treatment. On top of outright tax dodging. They're also the ones voting against new development and for policies that would actually help people that are not them. Really they're a major component of the problem but are too socially myopic to realize it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rockopolis posted:

Tax money is not actually the problem, it's construction and zoning regulations and also NIMBYism.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

semper wifi posted:

the homeless in SF aren't a problem as long as you treat them properly, ie refuse to acknowledge them in any way, the techies are probably making eye contact or some poo poo

Hahaha yes yes, when I think of total non-weirdos who make eye contact and talk to other human beings face to face, techies are the first demographic that springs to mind. Brilliant.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

-Troika- posted:

Tax money is not actually the problem, it's construction and zoning regulations and also NIMBYism.

high housing prices in san francisco is a completely different problem from entitled wealthy people being suprised that they have to deal with urban annoyances in a city

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

Speaking of that, Is the soylent sperg dead yet? The latest thing I heard of him os him wearing a jumpsuit and living in a moving truck.

Moving truck guy is a different guy who works for google or something.

Last I checked, soylent guy had reasoned that because his slurry is "perfectly formulated" to only contain what the body can absorb and use, making GBS threads is redundant. So in order to test this theory, he poured antibiotics down his rear end in a top hat with a funnel to sterilize the intestinal flora.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Hahaha yes yes, when I think of total non-weirdos who make eye contact and talk to other human beings face to face, techies are the first demographic that springs to mind. Brilliant.

No it's that little furtive glance because they're so anxious but they just gotta "look into the abyss".

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

HorseLord posted:

Moving truck guy is a different guy who works for google or something.

Last I checked, soylent guy had reasoned that because his slurry is "perfectly formulated" to only contain what the body can absorb and use, making GBS threads is redundant. So in order to test this theory, he poured antibiotics down his rear end in a top hat with a funnel to sterilize the intestinal flora.

It's telling that I can't tell whether this is a joke or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought the gut sterilization was part of a different thing where he bet that he could go a week without making GBS threads so he shut down his intestine or something.

• Locked thread