Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
http://robrhinehart.com/?p=1152

soylent guy posted:

Flush toilets use enormous quantities of water so I needed a way to make it unnecessary. Feces are almost entirely deceased gut bacteria and water. I massacred my gut bacteria the day before by consuming a DIY Soylent version with no fiber and taking 500mg of Rifaximin, an antibiotic with poor bioavailability, meaning it stays in your gut and kills bacteria. Soylent’s microbiome consultant advised that this is a terrible idea so I do not recommend it. However, it worked. Throughout the challenge I did not defecate.

Truly the Isombard Kingdom Brunel of food science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

shrike82 posted:

It's telling that I can't tell whether this is a joke or not.

It's not a joke at all, and his stated reasons for stopping making GBS threads are only slightly less dumb than what Horselord mentioned.

quote:

I awake the morning of the challenge and throw off my cotton sheets with disgust. From this moment on every drop counts. I brush my teeth without water and put on dry deodorant. Relieving myself in the toilet is not an option. For a moment I consider following Clinton’s advice: “if it’s yellow let it mellow”, but decide to go full Bukowski instead: “sometimes you just have to piss in the sink”. Could we engineer more efficient kidneys?

For number two I had to plan in advance. Inadequate sanitation is an enormous quality of life problem globally. The most popular toilet in the world is no toilet at all as 4 in 10 people in the world defecate in the open. Flush toilets use enormous quantities of water so I needed a way to make it unnecessary.

Feces are almost entirely deceased gut bacteria and water. I massacred my gut bacteria the day before by consuming a DIY Soylent version with no fiber and taking 500mg of Rifaximin, an antibiotic with poor bioavailability, meaning it stays in your gut and kills bacteria. Soylent’s microbiome consultant advised that this is a terrible idea so I do not recommend it. However, it worked. Throughout the challenge I did not defecate.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 20, 2016

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
http://robrhinehart.com/?p=1331

Here our brave hero "Gives up alternating current" to run his entire house off of a 100W solar panel, and admits that he's somehow unable to handle ordinary things like going to a supermarket without help:

quote:

I have not set foot in a grocery store in years. Nevermore will I bumble through endless confusing aisles like a pack-donkey searching for feed while the smell of rotting flesh fills my nostrils and fluorescent lights sear my eyeballs and sappy love songs torture my ears. Grocery shopping is a multisensory living nightmare. There are services that will make someone else do it for me but I cannot in good conscience force a fellow soul through this gauntlet.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

high housing prices in san francisco is a completely different problem from entitled wealthy people being suprised that they have to deal with urban annoyances in a city
SF's homeless problem is particularly acute, though. It's worse than NYC, and I don't think anyone is going to suggest that NYC isn't a city.

Plus it's true that high housing prices contribute to the problem of homelessness. Besides pushing some people out onto the street, it also makes it harder to get space for shelters or permanent housing for the homeless.

I don't dispute that there are some real dumb tech people in the bay area, but for the most part techies here are center-left and probably fine with resources going to help the homeless.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cicero posted:

SF's homeless problem is particularly acute, though. It's worse than NYC, and I don't think anyone is going to suggest that NYC isn't a city.

Plus it's true that high housing prices contribute to the problem of homelessness. Besides pushing some people out onto the street, it also makes it harder to get space for shelters or permanent housing for the homeless.

the existence of homeless people is a completely different problem from entitled wealthy people being irritated by the homeless

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

the existence of homeless people is a completely different problem from entitled wealthy people being irritated by the homeless
It's not just entitled wealthy people who don't like having deal with aggressive homeless people. It's not just entitled wealthy people who don't like regularly seeing people crapping or pissing in the streets.

And it's not some binary thing: city has/does not have homeless. SF has a LOT of homeless people, and while I have no idea how you would measure it, people who've lived in other big cities have said that the homeless population in SF seems to be more aggressive/dysfunctional. I live in the south bay and only occasionally go to SF so it doesn't affect me much, but it's ludicrous to paint all the complaints about homeless people in SF as rich people whining.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
Until they do something to end homelessness then all it is is whining.

Can't wait for "teach the homeless to code".

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I feel pretty silly for being truly shocked at how blatantly these people are showing their contempt for the underclass. It's like they actually think that their path was as accessible to everyone as it was to them, and that the value they're producing actually matches the money they receive. That's loving wild.

What a fool I was for thinking that, just because they chose to live in San Francisco, they have one iota of perspective. Feeling very glad I live near but not in San Diego rn

The entire web app bubble is giving me so much pent-up schadenfreude, and it's nice to get some release from people bitching about the weather and the gall of Untouchables to trespass a Saint of Industry's visual field.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

HorseLord posted:

:lol:

"Why doesn't the glorious private sector just fix homelessness??" asked the communist.

If SF techies were actually against the government solving problems, why would they be in one of the most liberal, if not THE most liberal big city in the country?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
The point is that people who can solve problems, but choose not to, should quit complaining about them.

And why does SF being liberal matter? This is how liberals behave.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cicero posted:

"Why doesn't the glorious private sector just fix homelessness??" asked the communist.

If SF techies were actually against the government solving problems, why would they be in one of the most liberal, if not THE most liberal big city in the country?

Unless you and I have different definitions of liberal, "I shouldn't have to pay tax but keep the smelly poors out of my sight" is a very liberal position.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Stinky_Pete posted:

I feel pretty silly for being truly shocked at how blatantly these people are showing their contempt for the underclass. It's like they actually think that their path was as accessible to everyone as it was to them, and that the value they're producing actually matches the money they receive. That's loving wild.

What a fool I was for thinking that, just because they chose to live in San Francisco, they have one iota of perspective. Feeling very glad I live near but not in San Diego rn

The entire web app bubble is giving me so much pent-up schadenfreude, and it's nice to get some release from people bitching about the weather and the gall of Untouchables to trespass a Saint of Industry's visual field.
The impotent class rage here is pretty amusing. Yeah there are some stupid startups, and I'll shed no tears for their culling. There are also plenty of useful startups, but goons just ignore those, or focus on the dumber uses of them (e.g. kickstarter).

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Unless you and I have different definitions of liberal, "I shouldn't have to pay tax but keep the smelly poors out of my sight" is a very liberal position.

Other liberal greatest hits:

- Ending welfare as an entitlement program
- bombing Yugoslavia
- pretending to be anti war but abandoning that stance when a democrat president got in again
- droning the poo poo out of weddings
- mass increase in deportations

Liberals are just conservatives with a friendly smile.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cicero posted:

It's not just entitled wealthy people who don't like having deal with aggressive homeless people. It's not just entitled wealthy people who don't like regularly seeing people crapping or pissing in the streets.

quote:

The wealthy working people have earned their right to live in the city. They went out, got an education, work hard, and earned it. I shouldn’t have to worry about being accosted. I shouldn’t have to see the pain, struggle, and despair of homeless people to and from my way to work every day.

"i'm too rich to have to look at poor people. i demand the city take action"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it might be that we actually do have different defintions of liberal because America seems to use it as the word for "not the republicans" while the UK word for the republicans is "mentally ill people" so I dunno. Maybe American liberals are pro taxes and pro poor people out of contrariness?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cicero posted:

Because no one wants to actually live in Silicon Valley.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it might be that we actually do have different defintions of liberal because America seems to use it as the word for "not the republicans" while the UK word for the republicans is "mentally ill people" so I dunno. Maybe American liberals are pro taxes and pro poor people out of contrariness?

Depending on polling american liberals will say pro those things platitudes in speeches, but they don't actually mean any of it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

"i'm too rich to have to look at poor people. i demand the city take action"
I'm not disputing that that guy in particular is an idiot.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Also, it's poo poo like Blue Apron and app-based delivery services that are really grinding my gears. This is exactly what Bertrand Russell was on about.

It's like, clearly the only reason the economy can support this is because we have the myth that despite vastly improved productivity, a person must work 8 hour days or else they're lazy (unless you are independently wealthy of course in which case you are a literal god who deserves to just sit idly and think about how to turn someone's former home into a hip juice bar), but because technology has made people able to do more in less time, we have to invent new jobs to keep people looking the part.

None of this would be necessary with mincomes. The people who are becoming Uber drivers or Blue Apron ingredient assemblers, are just receiving a mincome that's funded by a flat tax on middle class and upper middle class people who buy into this high-consumption, poor work/life-balance lifestyle, and in exchange receive a purportedly convenient way of cooking that uses extra plastic and absolves the home chef of what, grocery planning and mise en place? It's just a classier, higher-labor-cost version of the factory foods we've been pumping out for the last 60-70 years.

Let's just cut out the middle man and make it a progressive tax.

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

Stinky_Pete posted:

Also, it's poo poo like Blue Apron and app-based delivery services that are really grinding my gears. This is exactly what Bertrand Russell was on about.

It's like, clearly the only reason the economy can support this is because we have the myth that despite vastly improved productivity, a person must work 8 hour days or else they're lazy (unless you are independently wealthy of course in which case you are a literal god who deserves to just sit idly and think about how to turn someone's former home into a hip juice bar), but because technology has made people able to do more in less time, we have to invent new jobs to keep people looking the part.

None of this would be necessary with mincomes. The people who are becoming Uber drivers or Blue Apron ingredient assemblers, are just receiving a mincome that's funded by a flat tax on middle class and upper middle class people who buy into this high-consumption, poor work/life-balance lifestyle, and in exchange receive a purportedly convenient way of cooking that uses extra plastic and absolves the home chef of what, grocery planning and mise en place? It's just a classier, higher-labor-cost version of the factory foods we've been pumping out for the last 60-70 years.

Let's just cut out the middle man and make it a progressive tax.

Nope gotta keep poor people desperate to maintain downward pressure on wages and voter turnout, mincome ain't gonna happen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait what the hell is blue apron? Are you telling me there is a formalized service for paying people to get your recipe ingredients ready for you?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Liberals normally means 'progressive liberals' in the US, as opposed to classical liberals who would call themselves libertarians because nothing says property rights like stealing a word from anarcho-communists.

Progressive liberals believe in positive rights like healthcare and education, but just don't want to do anything radical like fully implementing it.

An outspoken group on many subjects, ten degrees to the left of center in good times, ten degrees to the right of center if it affects them personally, etc. etc.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

Progressive liberals believe in positive rights like healthcare and education, but just don't want to do anything radical like fully implementing it.

The word fully is redundant.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

OwlFancier posted:

Wait what the hell is blue apron? Are you telling me there is a formalized service for paying people to get your recipe ingredients ready for you?

https://www.blueapron.com/
Scroll down to 'learn to cook like a pro' for important tips like "how to chop herbs" and "this is what a non-stick pan looks like! non-stick pans are cool!"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
People are liberal until it means voting in a way to let 'those' people move in or decrease their property value. Austin is the same way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HorseLord posted:

The word fully is redundant.
They will usually implement the minimum needed to prevent actual revolution, or according to whatever strange social theories the progressive side has read. Or as go3 said, among their 'own kind'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LemonDrizzle posted:

Scroll down to 'learn to cook like a pro' for important tips like "how to chop herbs" and "this is what a non-stick pan looks like! non-stick pans are cool!"

Oh my loving god that's the most idiotic thing I've seen in a long time.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

LemonDrizzle posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Do people not know what measuring cups are or something? This is really profiting from the "more money than sense" sector of the economy.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
There is an ungodly number of people out there who's parents couldn't cook, who never learned to cook, and have no clue how to cook.

It's actually kind of sad. They need to bring back home economics in school though. For the well off it's dumb and laughable, but for the working poor and below it's kinda a nutritional crisis.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

There is an ungodly number of people out there who's parents couldn't cook, who never learned to cook, and have no clue how to cook.

It's actually kind of sad. They need to bring back home economics in school though. For the well off it's dumb and laughable, but for the working poor and below it's kinda a nutritional crisis.

I had a Home Econ (or at least an equivalent) class in high school, and it didn't really teach me much at all. How to make a roux, I guess, and cookies? And napkin folding. Dear god, the napkin folding.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The best thing that will happen in the next 5-10 years will be the collapse of the tech bubble, and the death of all of these unicorns. Might just be one of the most embarrassing all-american thing going on that isn't Donald Trump.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If someone can follow the instructions for building Legos then they can cook. The hard part is having the proper equipment and ingredients.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Famethrowa posted:

The best thing that will happen in the next 5-10 years will be the collapse of the tech bubble, and the death of all of these unicorns. Might just be one of the most embarrassing all-american thing going on that isn't Donald Trump.

People have been predicting this for ten years at least. I remember once of the first instances I heard it was around the time Google bought Youtube. Do mobile devices and the internet not seem like growth sectors to you? Regardless, I think anyone with six figures in the bank is pretty well cushioned against most bubbles, although some of them may have to find different industries or less expense cities.

Lyesh posted:

Being smelly near someone or even pushing them doesn't and shouldn't give you license to draw your firearm.

As a responsible gun owner, you should know this.

I do know this! Thus my word choice of "assault" versus "being smelly near someone or even pushing them."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

computer parts posted:

If someone can follow the instructions for building Legos then they can cook. The hard part is having the proper equipment and ingredients.

I'm honestly confused by tech people who don't like cooking, speaking as a tech guy who loves cooking. You can get totally nerdy about it, buy all kinds of gadgets, experiment and gently caress around with things to your heart's content, and you get to eat delicious things more affordably than eating them at a restaurant, which must appeal to a tech person's sense of efficiency. It involves a degree of art and creativity, while being extremely useful for its own sake, which presumably would make a difference to autists who sneer at art for its own sake.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

HorseLord posted:

Can't wait for "teach the homeless to code".

http://mashable.com/2015/04/05/homeless-coder-still-homeless/#LDQucA56kaq8

Way ahead of you, buddy.

Anyways I've only been grabbed by a homeless person once in San Francisco, and once she put away the lighter it wasn't that scary because I was bigger than her.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Cicero posted:

I also understand that they've been improving public transportation a lot in the last several years, as well as biking (they did the second protected intersection in the whole country just last year).
sounds gre--

oh

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011

PT6A posted:

I'm honestly confused by tech people who don't like cooking, speaking as a tech guy who loves cooking. You can get totally nerdy about it, buy all kinds of gadgets, experiment and gently caress around with things to your heart's content, and you get to eat delicious things more affordably than eating them at a restaurant, which must appeal to a tech person's sense of efficiency. It involves a degree of art and creativity, while being extremely useful for its own sake, which presumably would make a difference to autists who sneer at art for its own sake.
Many very successful tech people are champion ladder climbers who aren't curious about anything.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PT6A posted:

I'm honestly confused by tech people who don't like cooking...It involves a degree of art and creativity, while being extremely useful for its own sake...
Reminder that this is the industry where a guy is selling cumshakes to people.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

cooking is an imprecise science, more of an art. getting everything you need in a kit with explicit instructions is way more consumable for some types of personalities

i learned to cook by winging it, and when something i made was horrible i didn't do that thing again. this is a problem because the kind of food i like to cook for myself is uhhhhh not the kind of food other people like. also pickle brine is a great vinegar substitute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

i learned to cook by winging it, and when something i made was horrible i didn't do that thing again
It's also heartbreaking when your tart or whatever curdles/tastes like poo poo after hours of work. Or if you gently caress up a dish because you weren't paying attention. Accepting the occasional failure is part of cooking.

• Locked thread