Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

KFBR392 posted:

getting just the right amount of a minor esoteric ingredient you'll never use beyond that dish loving owns and saves a ton of money.

There's no metric where BA actually saves you money on spices. The only thing it could reasonably save you from is an overstuffed spice rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

PT6A posted:

Yeah, you can tell when the meat is cooked to your liking by feel alone. If you're trying to cook by time alone, it will be very frustrating.

Thermapen :)

Seriously though I can't remember the last time I did a turn and burn job on the grille. nowadays it's almost always a two zone indirect job or finishing something I did sous vide.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Since we're on the topic of cooking:

I'm disabled, near-blind among other issues. The stove terrifies me. I am literally, unironically afraid of setting myself on fire, since we have a gas stove. Using the kitchen at all is difficult, but using the stove is a thing I fear. (I can use the oven. I can use the microwave. The stove scares me.)

If I weren't living with parents (who happily cook, they like cooking...I'm too afraid of hurting myself to know if I'd like it), I'd probably go nuts re food. (I don't like living with parents, but it has benefits.)

That said: Anywhere online people can recommend to teach the mechanics of cooking, the better so I don't hurt myself (or get myself an anxiety attack from the fear I would) while attempting to cook on my own?

(It's like...Activities of Daily Living courses would cover this, but also a ton of stuff in the realm of "living on my own" I know how to do already. I need things in more bite-sized pieces.)

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Spacewolf posted:

I'm disabled, near-blind among other issues. The stove terrifies me. I am literally, unironically afraid of setting myself on fire, since we have a gas stove. Using the kitchen at all is difficult, but using the stove is a thing I fear. (I can use the oven. I can use the microwave. The stove scares me.)

If I weren't living with parents (who happily cook, they like cooking...I'm too afraid of hurting myself to know if I'd like it), I'd probably go nuts re food. (I don't like living with parents, but it has benefits.)

That said: Anywhere online people can recommend to teach the mechanics of cooking, the better so I don't hurt myself (or get myself an anxiety attack from the fear I would) while attempting to cook on my own?

(It's like...Activities of Daily Living courses would cover this, but also a ton of stuff in the realm of "living on my own" I know how to do already. I need things in more bite-sized pieces.)

What exactly are you trying to learn? There really isn't a skill to be taught in the realm of "using a fry pan without lighting on fire". It sounds more like you just need to get comfortable, which can probably be achieved by keeping a buddy in the kitchen with you while you do your thing until you get over your fear.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spacewolf posted:

I assume since you're on SA you can read ok and don't just need videos. If not I can look at my way too big list of cooking youtube subs and find something.

Cooks Country is a pretty good 'I know nothing, help me' resource even if their main goal is to sell you subscriptions and all. They even have some basic '101' things that explains in pretty good details the why as well as the how to a lot of common things. Like the chocolate cake one goes into a lot of basic 'here's why you may have hosed this cake up' that can apply to anything baking as well.

https://www.cookscountry.com/how_tos

Click around the sidebar too because they have a great 'getting to know' series on a bunch of things that's literally just 'ok, let's talk vinegar, here's the kinds, here's how they taste, here's what to use them for'. It even has stuff like 'ok here's the fish you'll probably find at your supermarket, here's what to do with them' and has links to recipes using them.

https://www.cookscountry.com/how_tos/9370-getting-to-know-supermarket-fish?ref=HowTo_browse_1

Jarmak posted:

What exactly are you trying to learn? There really isn't a skill to be taught in the realm of "using a fry pan without lighting on fire". It sounds more like you just need to get comfortable, which can probably be achieved by keeping a buddy in the kitchen with you while you do your thing until you get over your fear.

This is also true, if your main goal is 'help me not be afraid of the stove' there's not a ton we can do. You just kinda gotta get comfortable with it. Using a buddy is a great way to start, especially if your parents love cooking already. Just say 'hey, I wanna try making a thing I like, can you come give me a hand while I get used to it?'

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Spacewolf posted:

I'm not sure I can recommend anything specifically, but there was a completely blind contestant on Masterchef who ended up doing very well (possibly winning? I can't remember), so it's definitely something you can learn. As others have said, I think you need to get over your anxiety somehow before learning to cook, and it may require professional help or therapy or something.

EDIT: I understand these sorts of fears and anxieties aren't rational, so I don't expect this to solve the problem, but I will point out that you will feel the heat of a stove burner well before you come close to setting yourself on fire or burning yourself.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 20, 2016

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
You guys pointed me towards *exactly* what I meant, but didn't have the words to ask for (or Google). Thanks!

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Gas stoves are safer than electric imo, you get a lot more audiovisual feedback about when the burner is on and the heating elements cool off a lot faster.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress off to goons with spoons, I wanted to read more arguing about homeless people.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

-Troika- posted:

gently caress off to goons with spoons, I wanted to read more arguing about homeless people.

I thought this was the techbro takedown thread, not the homeless hate debate.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Nobody tell the blue apron haters that there are places where they make THE ENTIRE MEAL for you, no joke! Even lazier than gathering the ingredients, I know. Must be those techbros again!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cicero posted:

Nobody tell the blue apron haters that there are places where they make THE ENTIRE MEAL for you, no joke! Even lazier than gathering the ingredients, I know. Must be those techbros again!

Yes, and when they make a meal that I could easily make myself, it pisses me off, unless I'm at a restaurant for a social occasion. Even so, I mostly prefer to cook for myself.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

-Troika- posted:

tell us more about repossessing a homeless man's belongings forums poster troika

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

PT6A posted:

Yes, and when they make a meal that I could easily make myself, it pisses me off, unless I'm at a restaurant for a social occasion. Even so, I mostly prefer to cook for myself.

This, learning how to cook has totally ruined middle of the road restaurants for me. If it's not out of convenience (takeout on a busy night, bar snacks when I'm out) I feel like I'm wasting my time and money unless it's a high end place or something that has a really low effort/reward ratio and/or equipment requirement (Shawarma, most Indian, real ramen)

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

The idea of overpriced meal kits doesn't bother me as much as the trend lately where literally everything has to be ordered with an app and delivered to your door. Yeah it's convenient as hell to push the "Tide" button and never have to set foot in a grocery store again but I feel like we're devolving into a society where those with the means and desire to do so will streamline away all social interaction with service workers, further bifurcating society and rendering the struggling lower classes completely invisible.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cicero posted:

Yea dude, and if I got a restaurant and get something that I could do myself I don't have a super awesome time. If I go to the great Chinese place by me and get some Peking Duck that I could never get as perfect as they do then I had a great time. It's not really that crazy of a concept that not all restaurants are great. I'm not gonna go into China Palace and start kicking the buffet table over shouting that it's easy to make fried rice at home, but they don't sell themselves as some revolution in cooking either, they sell themselves as 'hey man wanna get a poo poo ton of pretty good fried rice and eggrolls and poo poo for cheap?'

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cicero posted:

There are certainly no drawbacks to eating out every day.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Cicero posted:

If you can't tell the difference between a subscription service that sends you goods that you then have to prepare and a location that prepares food and serves it to you I donno what to say.

And only one of them advertises itself as a lifestyle choice.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 20, 2016

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

They try to do that at Burning Man every year, it doesn't stick.

Didn't Vice or someone do an article recently about how these techbros are like destroying Burning Man cause they like having the ostentatious wealth pissing contests and miss the anti-establishment roots of the festival.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

Didn't Vice or someone do an article recently about how these techbros are like destroying Burning Man cause they like having the ostentatious wealth pissing contests and miss the anti-establishment roots of the festival.

Sounds like they're disrupting counter-culture. Or DisCo, for short.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea dude, and if I got a restaurant and get something that I could do myself I don't have a super awesome time. If I go to the great Chinese place by me and get some Peking Duck that I could never get as perfect as they do then I had a great time. It's not really that crazy of a concept that not all restaurants are great. I'm not gonna go into China Palace and start kicking the buffet table over shouting that it's easy to make fried rice at home, but they don't sell themselves as some revolution in cooking either, they sell themselves as 'hey man wanna get a poo poo ton of pretty good fried rice and eggrolls and poo poo for cheap?'

It's a problem that gets worse as I learn to cook more things. There are still some things I doubt I'll ever attempt, much less perfect, which is why it's so enjoyable to go to a truly amazing restaurant and do a tasting menu.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rockopolis posted:

So what do people who don't find cooking relaxing do? Are they just SOL? It's a big assumption to be making that everyone enjoys or would enjoy cooking.

Figure out some stuff you like that's also quick and easy to make so you can reap the benefits of cooking for yourself without having to do it much?

I do like cooking, but it is kind of weird how defensive people get about. I enjoy working on my car, writing code, and doing some light woodworking stuff (although I'm poo poo at it) too, but those are all hobbies, just like cooking. I don't have any expectation that other people would enjoy wasting their time in the same ways, so I'm not sure why cooking brings that out in so many people. I mean, I kind of assume most adults are capable of feeding themselves, but beyond that, just don't do it if you don't like it.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Sometimes the restaurant provides a challenge. Can I make home-cooked sweet potato fries that surpass theirs? How did the tofu get so perfectly glazed?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yeah, cook if you enjoy it, don't if you don't.
Not sure why people are moralizing about the social ills of not cooking. It reeks a bit of classism especially given that poor people often don't have the wherewithal (access to ingredients, or time) to cook.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Holy gently caress we don't care about how much you love to cook, this thread is about mocking techbros who got scared because they saw a homeless.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

shrike82 posted:

Not sure why people are moralizing about the social ills of not cooking. It reeks a bit of classism especially given that poor people often don't have the wherewithal (access to ingredients, or time) to cook.

You know, this is what amazes me about america, the whole food desert phenomenon. The situation where for large areas of the country, which are all areas filled with poor, there's basically nothing to eat except frozen poo poo at gas stations. That the situation has become so ingraned that when someone says "it's messed up people can't cook" the reaction is "Hey man, lay off. We can't all afford your bourgeois hobbies like cooking" instead of "Please send famine relief".

This is enough to drat America in itself.

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

WampaLord posted:

Holy gently caress we don't care about how much you love to cook, this thread is about mocking techbros who got scared because they saw a homeless.

Agreed.

The best thing to do with the homeless is to ignore them. Last week this approach pissed off one that I brushed by without any acknowledgement. He followed me for half a block ranting about manners. I pulled out my pocket knife and hoped he'd get aggressive, but alas, he maintained his distance and may not have even noticed it pointing straight down at the street next to me. Scared the poo poo out of the couple pushing a baby carriage toward me from the other end of the street, though. They could see my face, which was probably scarier than the knife.

HorseLord posted:

You know, this is what amazes me about america, the whole food desert phenomenon. The situation where for large areas of the country, which are all areas filled with poor, there's basically nothing to eat except frozen poo poo at gas stations. That the situation has become so ingraned that when someone says "it's messed up people can't cook" the reaction is "Hey man, lay off. We can't all afford your bourgeois hobbies like cooking" instead of "Please send famine relief".

This is enough to drat America in itself.

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/15/132076786/the-root-the-myth-of-the-food-desert

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

shrike82 posted:

Yeah, cook if you enjoy it, don't if you don't.

I don't think poor people have the money to spend on paying someone else to pick and measure organic artisan ingredients and deliver them to their door either.

Services for people with more money than sense are dumb, and I like to point and laugh at the dumb people who use them.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
What became of that guy in Hawaii who went around smashing homeless people's poo poo with a sledgehammer?

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

SedanChair posted:

What became of that guy in Hawaii who went around smashing homeless people's poo poo with a sledgehammer?

Evil triumphed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/hawaii-state-rep-tom-brower-beaten-homeless-people-article-1.2276005

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Low Energy posted:

Agreed.

The best thing to do with the homeless is to ignore them. Last week this approach pissed off one that I brushed by without any acknowledgement. He followed me for half a block ranting about manners. I pulled out my pocket knife and hoped he'd get aggressive, but alas, he maintained his distance and may not have even noticed it pointing straight down at the street next to me. Scared the poo poo out of the couple pushing a baby carriage toward me from the other end of the street, though. They could see my face, which was probably scarier than the knife.

:yikes:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Low Energy posted:

Agreed.

Jesus what is wrong with you?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Yes, I understand that from an American perspective only New York, LA and San Francisco (plus that bit of DC where the imperialists live) is worth caring about. But that doesn't help those outside those four places.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

quote:

But let's not fall for the idea that for poor black people and only poor black people, kale and apples being sold four blocks away are out of reach.

lol

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Haha thanks, it pleases me to think of that guy getting beaten.

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

Ogmius815 posted:

Jesus what is wrong with you?

Nothing? When mentally unstable people start screaming at you and pose a potential physical threat what do you do? I didn't brandish it, threaten him, or even look at him. Like I said, I'm not sure he even knew I had the knife out (although it wasn't subtle) and since he didn't actually attack me he didn't have to find out.

Honestly, homeless people need to lose their last shreds of pride, it only has the potential to get them in trouble. I recall another one who asked if he could sit at the other end of my bench and I chirpily replied "sure, as long as you don't try to talk to me!" He was horribly offended and walked off to go complain about me to some other crazy person. I guess sitting wasn't what he was actually after.

SedanChair posted:

Haha thanks, it pleases me to think of that guy getting beaten.

He should have carried a knife.

Low Energy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 20, 2016

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Low Energy posted:

Honestly, homeless people need to lose their last shreds of pride, it only has the potential to get them in trouble.
New thread title.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Low Energy posted:

I pulled out my pocket knife and hoped he'd get aggressive, but alas,

dude what the hell

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine
I'm impressed so many of you have time to pull yourselves away from your local soup kitchen to post about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Low Energy posted:

I'm impressed so many of you have time to pull yourselves away from your local soup kitchen to post about this.

i need some tech startup advice and you've established your credentials. pm me

• Locked thread