Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Low Energy posted:

I'm impressed so many of you have time to pull yourselves away from your local soup kitchen to post about this.

I'm actually on lunch break at the CPR class I have to take because I am program supervisor of a youth homeless shelter. It's no problem, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Low Energy posted:

Agreed.

The best thing to do with the homeless is to ignore them. Last week this approach pissed off one that I brushed by without any acknowledgement. He followed me for half a block ranting about manners. I pulled out my pocket knife and hoped he'd get aggressive, but alas, he maintained his distance and may not have even noticed it pointing straight down at the street next to me. Scared the poo poo out of the couple pushing a baby carriage toward me from the other end of the street, though. They could see my face, which was probably scarier than the knife.

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/15/132076786/the-root-the-myth-of-the-food-desert

You're a loving monster

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine
Because I walked down the street and didn't talk to a stranger? Or because I was prepared to defend myself from an attack that didn't happen?

There wasn't a racial component, we were both white. He might have been a veteran , but so am I.

I am sorry about the couple with the baby carriage, but I didn't look at them or even notice them until they were practically on top of me and scrambling to swerve to the other side of the sidewalk. I was listening in case my unwilling acquaintance rapidly closed the distance behind me.

Low Energy fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 20, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Caveat that although the surveying team probably did the best they could, that sampling mechanism's gonna generate a massive amount of error that they don't account for.

Low Energy posted:

He might have been a veteran , but so am I.

Nobody cares!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Just FYI, thread title isn't an invitation.

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine
I'm not a techbro, I live in a very poor city with no tech industry at all.

Discendo Vox posted:

Nobody cares!

Nor should they! I didn't care about this homeless guy, and that, also, is just fine.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Low Energy posted:

Because I walked down the street and didn't talk to a stranger? Or because I was prepared to defend myself from an attack that didn't happen?

There wasn't a racial component, we were both white. He might have been a veteran , but so am I.

I am sorry about the couple with the baby carriage, but I didn't look at them or even notice them until they were practically on top of me and scrambling to swerve to the other side of the sidewalk. I was listening in case my unwilling acquaintance rapidly closed the distance behind me.

You literally said you wanted him to do something so you could "defend yourself." It's hilariously stupid and lovely.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Low Energy posted:

Wow, PTSD without heightened situational awareness? What a bum deal for you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Low Energy posted:

The bit where you apparently don't view homeless people as human beings and want to commit violence on them might have something to do with it.

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

SedanChair posted:

Wow, PTSD without heightened situational awareness? What a bum deal for you.

No, I don't have any PTSD. And my situational awareness is famously poor.

OwlFancier posted:

The bit where you apparently don't view homeless people as human beings and want to commit violence on them might have something to do with it.

Of course I view homeless people as human beings. I just favor violence against all aggressive strangers who do violence to me, and I'm not really a fan of human beings who aggressively yell poo poo at strangers who have done nothing to them, whether it's catcalls to women or unhinged rants at people peaceably walking from school to their car.

Lot of victim blaming ITT.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Wait, are there people who try to say that food deserts aren't a thing? I'm in Duluth MN and just from where I live it's something like 4 1/2 miles to the nearest grocery store(I'm on the edge of a primarily black neighborhood, and for some reason attempts to open a grocery store in the nearby commercial area keep getting stonewalled).
For someone living out on the south end of town it's easily double that, and most people I know on that end of town get basics like milk/eggs/bread from the gas station, and their hot food stuff usually subs in for an actual meal at least once every week or so.

Sorry I don't have much to add about homeless people because they're too busy trying not freeze to death to hassle people too much.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
This thread is the most magical gift ever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Low Energy posted:

Of course I view homeless people as human beings. I just favor violence against all aggressive strangers who do violence to me, and I'm not really a fan of human beings who aggressively yell poo poo at strangers who have done nothing to them, whether it's catcalls to women or unhinged rants at people peaceably walking from school to their car.

You're not a victim because a homeless man yelled at you for being rude.

Also if you think people need to lose all pride and sense of entitlement because it will get them into trouble and that's something you apply to human beings you have a direly lacking sense of empathy towards your fellow humans.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Low Energy posted:

You were disappointed that you didn't get to knife a homeless person. That family looked at you weird because you are a loving ghoul hth.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Low Energy posted:

Low Energy posted:

I pulled out my pocket knife and hoped he'd get aggressive, but alas

You wanted to stab a homeless person and were disappointed that he didn't give you a reason.

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

Halman posted:

Wait, are there people who try to say that food deserts aren't a thing? I'm in Duluth MN and just from where I live it's something like 4 1/2 miles to the nearest grocery store(I'm on the edge of a primarily black neighborhood, and for some reason attempts to open a grocery store in the nearby commercial area keep getting stonewalled).

OwlFancier posted:

Also if you think people need to lose all pride and sense of entitlement because it will get them into trouble and that's something you apply to human beings you have a direly lacking sense of empathy towards your fellow humans.

Yes. And?

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

This thread is the most magical gift ever.

I hope I've been helpful by offering an alternate perspective on the homeless problem. I feel that frank discussion among those with a diverse range of viewpoints is the best way to come up with effective, final solutions to our social problems. Thank you for everyone else's input, I learned a lot.

Low Energy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 20, 2016

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

You wanted to stab a homeless person and were disappointed that he didn't give you a reason.
Nobody say anything but this to him until he finally addresses it

Kekeke!
Nov 5, 2003

"Jesus christ man where did all these koreans come from!"
The best is that there are multiple parts to his posts that come off as sociopathic and he is oblivious to every single one. You couldn't ask for a more pertinent illumination of the whole thread's topic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is why we think there's something wrong with you?

As in, that's not considered a healthy, likeable, or normal stance to take.

I mean, there are other objectionable bits as well as other people have pointed out too but that's part of it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Low Energy posted:

Nothing? When mentally unstable people start screaming at you and pose a potential physical threat what do you do? I didn't brandish it, threaten him, or even look at him. Like I said, I'm not sure he even knew I had the knife out (although it wasn't subtle) and since he didn't actually attack me he didn't have to find out.

Honestly, homeless people need to lose their last shreds of pride, it only has the potential to get them in trouble. I recall another one who asked if he could sit at the other end of my bench and I chirpily replied "sure, as long as you don't try to talk to me!" He was horribly offended and walked off to go complain about me to some other crazy person. I guess sitting wasn't what he was actually after.

He should have carried a knife.
Someone took a video of you dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txoCOebILZk&t=62s

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

KFBR392 posted:

I guess to put it better and more succinct - to me it's a service that streamlines shopping, not cooking.

And I have seen people gently caress up BA dishes, someone who knows what they are doing in the kitchen and the whys and hows of the ingredients and cooking methods used will make something quite different than a retard who has to have "non-stick" explained to them.

For example, I know exactly when and why I can roll my eyes and disregard the "use a non stick pan" instructions provided by BA or change a fat or something.

Yeah just to reply this is what I figured it would be, making the shopping easier rather than the cooking especially for ingredients that don't get used in frequent recipes and end up going bad since you have to buy them is certain amounts; I didn't look into pricing since the intro was offered free and was going to figure out if it was worth it if that was decent. I didn't even know it was a tech-yuppie bugaboo until this thread but if it's not cost effective then I guess that's that.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Low Energy posted:

I hope I've been helpful by offering an alternate perspective on the homeless problem. I feel that frank discussion among those with a diverse range of viewpoints is the best way to come up with effective, final solutions to our social problems. Thank you for everyone else's input, I learned a lot.

We appreciate the input, but at this time we aren't able to use your suggestion to "stab the homeless". We will contact you in the future if we decide to use your idea.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 396 days!

Low Energy posted:

No, I don't have any PTSD. And my situational awareness is famously poor.

You're not a victim, you're an rear end in a top hat. It's ok to yell at assholes

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

TRON JEREMY posted:

You're not a victim, you're an rear end in a top hat. It's ok to yell at assholes

And it's ok to prepare to use violence to defend yourself. It's the circle of life death. Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Low Energy posted:

OK you had me going until that bit.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Low Energy posted:

And it's ok to prepare to use violence to defend yourself. It's the circle of life death. Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya.

Low Energy posted:

I pulled out my pocket knife and hoped he'd get aggressive

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine
^^^ Yes, and? I didn't do it, since he didn't give me any reason to.

TRON JEREMY posted:

"She was asking for it."

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Low Energy posted:

Drawing a weapon first and hoping the other person "gets aggressive" is not defense. It is offense.

Low Energy posted:

The best thing to do with the homeless is to ignore them. Last week this approach pissed off one that I brushed by without any acknowledgement. He followed me for half a block ranting about manners. I pulled out my pocket knife and hoped he'd get aggressive, but alas, he maintained his distance and may not have even noticed it pointing straight down at the street next to me. Scared the poo poo out of the couple pushing a baby carriage toward me from the other end of the street, though. They could see my face, which was probably scarier than the knife.

Stabbing someone is worse than ranting at someone. Do you understand that, or are you a danger to yourself and others? If the couple had "ranted" at you, would you have stabbed them? Would you have stabbed their baby?

Low Energy
Feb 19, 2016

by Shine

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Drawing a weapon first and hoping the other person "gets aggressive" is not defense. It is offense.

Go back to law school.

Stabbing someone is worse than ranting at someone. Do you understand that, or are you a danger to yourself and others? If the couple had "ranted" at you, would you have stabbed them? Would you have stabbed their baby?

Some remedial reading comprehension couldn't hurt, either. I was prepared to stab him if he made any move to assault me. Since he didn't follow closely or for very long it never came up.

Kekeke!
Nov 5, 2003

"Jesus christ man where did all these koreans come from!"

He is oblivious to the fact that the couple had a horrified response to him rather than the ranting homeless person. That the majority of posters in this thread are having completely similar reactions is also probably entirely lost on him.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Low Energy posted:

Some remedial reading comprehension couldn't hurt, either. I was prepared to stab him if he made any move to assault me. Since he didn't follow closely or for very long it never came up.

You hoped he would get aggressive. Why did you hope that? Do you think it's normal to hope people give you a reason to stab them? Do you feel that's healthy? Is thinking that way making your life better or worse?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Next time a homeless guy/gal tries to hit me up for change or a subway ticket I'm going to twirl a pistol around and hope they the idea.

No officer, I wasn't brandishing. I just took it out and hoped that they would try to make a move. Excuse me, Am I Being Detained?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Stanos posted:

Next time a homeless guy/gal tries to hit me up for change or a subway ticket I'm going to twirl a pistol around and hope they the idea.

No officer, I wasn't brandishing. I just took it out and hoped that they would try to make a move. Excuse me, Am I Being Detained?
Make sure your face looks really scary as well, like at least as scary as a gun.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 396 days!

Low Energy posted:

^^^ Yes, and? I didn't do it, since he didn't give me any reason to.

"She was asking for it."

Son, you're the one who's saying it's the other guy's fault you were ready to stab him, because he yelled at you. You're the one who's saying that if homeless people don't want to get hurt, they should give up any basic human dignity. You're the one laying the blame for your own psychotic nature squarely on your almost-victim's feet.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
It's weird I live in a city where I interact with like two dozen homeless people a day just out and about and I've never felt the need to pull a knife on any of them.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Techbros: Let's Chat About Cooking (and the Homeless)! :haw:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Techbros: Let's Chat About Stabbing! :tinfoil:

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Low Energy posted:

They could see my face, which was probably scarier than the knife.

Just want to stress, he wrote this unironically, and yet we're supposed to believe that Cool McGoon here actually pulled out his switchblade all badass like and scared off that dangerous vagrant. STDH.txt

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 396 days!
But what kind of a person would you have to be to think this would be a cool thing to brag about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Precambrian posted:

Just want to stress, he wrote this unironically, and yet we're supposed to believe that Cool McGoon here actually pulled out his switchblade all badass like and scared off that dangerous vagrant. STDH.txt

He thinks he's batman, like all psychopaths.

• Locked thread