Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

HorseLord posted:

Until they do something to end homelessness then all it is is whining.

Can't wait for "teach the homeless to code".

http://mashable.com/2015/04/05/homeless-coder-still-homeless/#LDQucA56kaq8

Way ahead of you, buddy.

Anyways I've only been grabbed by a homeless person once in San Francisco, and once she put away the lighter it wasn't that scary because I was bigger than her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

HorseLord posted:

With prices like this, how does San Fransisco still have like, janitors? How can a janitor earn enough to pay for living within commuting distance?

Most people I know in that situation live either outside the city (with roommates) or have a rent-controlled two-bedroom for something like $1000/mo, which they can then supplement their income from by renting out the extra bedroom (usually illegally) on AirBNB or live in a rent-controlled apartment (with roommates).

The only people I know who pay the ridiculously high rents for the non-rent-controlled stock are tech workers (almost always with roommates), and anecdotally, after a year or two of it, the ones I know tend to move somewhere cheaper (Oakland, Berkeley, a further neighborhood in the city that requires muni instead of BART, Millbrae, South San Francisco, or even further along the BART lines like Fremont or whatever).

If you're single and young, it's not impossible to live off minimum wage (12.05/hr) in the Bay Area, but you definitely can't afford a one-bedroom to yourself. Even my first half-assed "what does Craigslist have for the East Bay" check shows plenty of rooms from $600 to $1000.

(Heck, I just checked the listings for San Francisco and there's 455 listings for $1000 or less. Not all of them are scams/mislabelled/creepers.)

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 21, 2016

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Cicero posted:

They probably don't oppose building new housing explicitly for low income people (aka 'a thing which doesn't exist in desirable metros'), but they certainly oppose new development in general, even though more development would definitely lower rents.

I feel dirty posting something that (sort of) agrees with Cicero but:

“The problem with any market rate development now isn’t just that it’s taking away prospective (affordable housing) sites. It’s that once you generate a critical mass of new, high-end, market-rate housing, you fundamentally change the character of the neighborhood. The invading army takes over. You can’t roll back that once it happens.”

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

kliksf posted:

Loves the place, gets a notice, 60 days his rent goes from 3600 a month to 5900. Previous rent increases were more reasonable, but doesn't matter he's month to month. Tries to fight it but can't win. Now he's paying a lot to live in a rent controlled building but he's all about rent control/anti eviction he's had a total 180 on something used to be etched in stone with this guy.

Yeah, a lot of people only care about something once it's been shown to directly negatively affect them.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

on the left posted:

The funny part is that these people pushing extremist "get the gently caress out" logic are probably also extremely anti-Trump for Trump's position on immigration.

While also being really pissed off that the Chinese have been buying property too. There's a (very) slight undertone of white hipster liberal xenophobia/racism too, throughout, not helped by tech companies hiring all those foreign Asian and Indian men.

• Locked thread