Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I feel pretty silly for being truly shocked at how blatantly these people are showing their contempt for the underclass. It's like they actually think that their path was as accessible to everyone as it was to them, and that the value they're producing actually matches the money they receive. That's loving wild.

What a fool I was for thinking that, just because they chose to live in San Francisco, they have one iota of perspective. Feeling very glad I live near but not in San Diego rn

The entire web app bubble is giving me so much pent-up schadenfreude, and it's nice to get some release from people bitching about the weather and the gall of Untouchables to trespass a Saint of Industry's visual field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Also, it's poo poo like Blue Apron and app-based delivery services that are really grinding my gears. This is exactly what Bertrand Russell was on about.

It's like, clearly the only reason the economy can support this is because we have the myth that despite vastly improved productivity, a person must work 8 hour days or else they're lazy (unless you are independently wealthy of course in which case you are a literal god who deserves to just sit idly and think about how to turn someone's former home into a hip juice bar), but because technology has made people able to do more in less time, we have to invent new jobs to keep people looking the part.

None of this would be necessary with mincomes. The people who are becoming Uber drivers or Blue Apron ingredient assemblers, are just receiving a mincome that's funded by a flat tax on middle class and upper middle class people who buy into this high-consumption, poor work/life-balance lifestyle, and in exchange receive a purportedly convenient way of cooking that uses extra plastic and absolves the home chef of what, grocery planning and mise en place? It's just a classier, higher-labor-cost version of the factory foods we've been pumping out for the last 60-70 years.

Let's just cut out the middle man and make it a progressive tax.

• Locked thread