Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I will probably spoil myself by watching this LP, but I am absolutely buying this game. The developers deserve it even if I never get around to playing it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

JossiRossi posted:

I will probably spoil myself by watching this LP, but I am absolutely buying this game. The developers deserve it even if I never get around to playing it myself.
Yeah, and there's also so much dialogue that it's worth playing through and seeing what else Bacter might not be showing off (like Ren getting a good slap).

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Ever since I saw the GiantBomb QL I have been waiting for a LP of this game. While I bought the game right after the QL, due to RL time constraint I know I wouldn't be able to play it myself, so thanks for LPing this game!

Quick question though, I heard that the game does a very good job (better than most other games at least) at interweaving dialog choices, is this the case? I'd love to see some different ways that dialogs can be cutoff and then picked up depending on player choice and timing of responses.

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
So are there any actual spoilers in the spoiler tags in this thread? Or is it all just speculation and stuff that's in the videos?

Also, has anyone tried playing what Jonas said while possessed backwards?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Mine is just speculation, I saw everyone else with black bars and felt left out. :v:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Captain Bravo posted:

Mine is just speculation, I saw everyone else with black bars and felt left out. :v:

That reminds me, I have to post my wild speculation.

It's all a giant conspiracy by a time-traveling pharmaceutical company to research the effects of stress. The submarine, the triangles, all of it. This won't be made apparent or even hinted at until the very end, at which time it will be brought up very briefly and will not make any sense or even explain anything.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cathode Raymond posted:

That reminds me, I have to post my wild speculation.

It's all a giant conspiracy by a time-traveling pharmaceutical company to research the effects of stress. The submarine, the triangles, all of it. This won't be made apparent or even hinted at until the very end, at which time it will be brought up very briefly and will not make any sense or even explain anything.

I hate you.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
This game right here, is a legit good horror game. gently caress FNAF and it's jump scares, gently caress everything trying to copy FNAF, hell, I'm going to go so far and say gently caress games like PT and Amnesia. This game know how to do horror right. And whats better, they go so far as to make the characters actually feel REAL. Like, they are reacting appropriately in this situation. Yes, Alex is slightly unique as she does what the player wants, but every choice so far feels organic and how REAL scared teens would act while trying to cope with all this freaky poo poo going on.

I mean, the quiz is a good example. When the world flips, horror trope would state everyone freaks to gently caress out for like, five to ten minuets before MAYBE someone gets their head screwed on strait. Here, it was more of a, "Oh come on. Really? This is bull poo poo." Plus, honestly, I don't scare easy but the way the game communicates poo poo going on is really NICE and I just like everything about it. I am absolutely going to be watching this to the end and going to enjoy every moment of it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

No Gravitas posted:

I hate you.

I take it that's a twist from something else, and now I'm curious as to what.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lotish posted:

I take it that's a twist from something else, and now I'm curious as to what.

It was endgame spoilers for this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3735446

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

JEBOman posted:

So are there any actual spoilers in the spoiler tags in this thread? Or is it all just speculation and stuff that's in the videos?

Speculation here too. I just spoilered mine because my posts are on the same page / close to the updates I'm speculating about so if you have actually seen the videos you're fine. There's just dumb poo poo in there :)

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Feb 25, 2016

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Tried to record tonight, encountered a weird bug that messed up the save, so I'm gonna have to go back - sorry for the delay!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was watching the third episode again with my wife and kids, and this time I noticed the lamps on the left when the "test" started looked a lot like glowing red eyes, watching the viewer. It was unsettling.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

They ARE super creepy!

So I had planned on recording tonight, but I've been caring for the wife, who came down with sickness. Hopefully I'll get the recording done tomorrow (had to replay the game to where we were on account of the weird bug - I'll describe it after I post the next bit - apparently the devs had never heard of the bug before, so, there's that!)

Anyway, in place of a full update + bonus video, here's just the bonus bit for this section. Thanks go to JEBOman for what turned out to be a really interesting suggestion!

So: why the quiz? Why those questions? Why the pictures, and what does the sound mean?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bacter posted:

They ARE super creepy!

So I had planned on recording tonight, but I've been caring for the wife, who came down with sickness. Hopefully I'll get the recording done tomorrow (had to replay the game to where we were on account of the weird bug - I'll describe it after I post the next bit - apparently the devs had never heard of the bug before, so, there's that!)

Anyway, in place of a full update + bonus video, here's just the bonus bit for this section. Thanks go to JEBOman for what turned out to be a really interesting suggestion!

So: why the quiz? Why those questions? Why the pictures, and what does the sound mean?

The first of the three pictures is a submarine schematic. When flipped horizontally you can see that there is a red box around "Comms". Fits the radio theme at least.

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
Thank you for reversing the audio. It wasn't as clear as I was expecting. It seems like some words are played forward and others backwards, but no complete sentences. I hear the words "I am" and "kid" repeated a few times when played forward and the words "my mom got" and "hospital[ized]" when played backwards.

If we give the entity the benefit of the doubt and assume it isn't malevolent, maybe the quiz is to verify that we are communicating. Perhaps who we are communicating with hears a similar kind of noise to us, like tuning a radio and getting interference. So asking questions could be to prove that we aren't just more noise and that there is intelligence behind our responses. It would also verify our location. It is unlikely that someone somewhere else would know these things that are written around this island and on these local broadcasts.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah? Because I heard some clearer stuff when reversed - it sounds like somebody talking about "she's been hospitalized" and "admitted", right? I wonder if that's Jonas talking about his mom? That's what first sprang to mind. Maybe the spirits are getting information out of him? Or maybe they can intuit what somebody's regrets, etc. are?

squirrelnow
May 29, 2009

What do you throw away that keeps returning?
It does sound like Jonas is talking about his mother. Also in the theme of reversing things (flipping the submarine schematics and playing the audio backward) here's what happens if you inverse the colors on the photo of the three men:

With the themes of the game so far, I'd assume at least the two on the right are military. Their caps certainly look like it!

It's also interesting that of the three questions, only two could be answered by listening to the radio. Alex found the "cookies" answer without it. Which might mean that the entity asking the questions isn't just connected to this world with the radio, even if it's the only way for it to communicate with us.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
What happens if you fail the quiz? Do you fill out the hangman and get a death/game over?

The reason I ask is that failing the quiz would be an easy way to tell the overall disposition of the Reverse Dimensionals. If you fail and nothing happens, or they just make you take the test over again, they're probably not especially malevolent. If you fail and they kill you, they definitely are.

Also, minor nitpick with the game, but no submarine has ever been crewed entirely by officers. That submarine probably had more like 12 officers/73 enlisted or something, not 85 officers.

Fake edit: Actually, if I'm correctly remembering when it sunk, it would probably have had more like 6 officers, 54 enlisted.

I think it's important and mysterious that they mention "12 passengers" among the dead, as in 12 extra people people in addition to the crew, whom they do not identify. It would be rare for a submarine to have non-crew on it.

Real edit: The submarine schematic/crew numbers are anachronistic and probably not intended to be scrutinized too closely beyond the important red square around "COMMS". The submarine in question sank during or just after WWII, right?

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 27, 2016

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It was more likely a Balao-class submarine, which according to that reference had 10 officers and 70 enlisted men. I was wondering the same thing myself, about why the entire ship would be crewed by officers. That's either a simple mistake of thinking that military personnel = officer, or maybe they're trying to signal something like, "top-secret Philadelphia-experiment stuff going on, only officers allowed" which isn't terribly plausible. Officers would have to be trained to operate the sub, and why do that when you have a crew already in place who are going to be kept in the dark about most higher-level information anyway?

The twelve 'passengers' seems to imply even more strongly that these were scientists performing an experiment. Since the 'comms' was marked and we've been in contact via radio, maybe they were trying to do some long-range communication (FTL or somesuch) and ended up shifting into the future/alternate dimension.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The last of the three images is of water and the theme is reversing of things. Pure speculation follows: Sounds like we need to reverse the water, bring up to the surface either the whole sub or at least the three sunken people from the comms room.

Three people, three images, three questions and a triangle.

How does this translate into the things wanting "Time“, I don't know... But "is leave possible" does make me think of "shore leave" and the theme of getting out.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Awww yeah, new update!

Sorry for the length, I just wanted to end it at the next natural ending point. AND I DID: so we've got the next Big Decision to make folks!

Do we:

Travel with Jonas, our reliable if kind of judgemental bro?

Travel with Ren, our unreliable if insightful and knowledgeable about the island friend?

Or, do we

Get thoroughly disgusted with both of those chuckleheads, and go with Nona, and potentially get to know her better!

(no need to spoiler your picks)

Keep in mind that of these three options, there is always some cost.

Nona isn't expecting to go with us, and won't get mad at anything. Jonas will feel hurt if we don't go with him, and ditto with Ren. That means going with Nona will hurt both Jonas AND Ren, but at least they'll feel equal in that!

So:

Point out anomaly piles

Vote on our next move!

Speculation is welcome on what's up with Nona, Clarissa, who we met by the campsite.... just a lot of stuff.

Next bonus video will be the first anomaly roundup!

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Nona we know nothing about and we have seen both of the others!

EDIT: Rock pile visible at 6:13, far above the radio sign, but slightly to the left.

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 28, 2016

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
We should take Nona with us. It might be wise to separate the bickering boys, but there's only so much they can screw up in the radio tower and it might help Nona to get some context for the weirdness that's going on, and she is also not on mega-tilt and liable to make a terrible decision. Also if we run into Clarissa, Clarissa's ghost, or Clarissa's reanimated corpse, it might help to have the one person she actually seems to like along to smooth things over.

Five
Jan 6, 2009

There was a standing stone formation at 11:00

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

No Gravitas posted:

EDIT: Rock pile visible at 6:13, far above the radio sign, but slightly to the left.

The one outside the gym at 1:58 in the video if that wasn't caught and one by the smallest cemetery in the woods, one above the hut going up from the cemetery you can see at 10:57 in the video, one after the loop that you can see at the 25 minute mark close to the top of the screen, one by the bench at 25:30.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Take Jonas with you, the pothead and the lame chick can freak out by themselves in the tower :birddrugs:

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015
So I played this at a friend's house in one long sitting, and I'll...probably discuss my opinions once the ending rolls around? Give myself time to sort out a proper statement, and not spoil things for the thread and all.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
If we leave Jonas and Ren together they're going to murder each other. Hell, they'll probably throw each other off the top of the tower before we're halfway down it.

That's why I'm voting Nona.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I want to learn something about Nona.

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
Go with Nona so that the other two can cool off, or maybe kill one another while they're alone. Then again I'm expecting the whole "We saw Clarissa jump out a window" thing to come up eventually, so that'll be interesting.

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
When you pulled up the map at the beginning of the video, I noticed that it looks like there is a bridge from where we started to where Ren is and then we took that bridge at the end of the video. So what would happen had we gone that way, straight to Ren? Would we have missed Nona and just gone to the comm tower with Ren?

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

What's the average time for an initial playthrough?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I want to say maybe 3 hours? I did it in one go, but I had a free evening.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Take Jonas So Ren can mack on Nona while we're gone. Gotta watch out for our bros.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
The most interesting choice would probably be Nona, but if we leave Ren and Jonas they I would imagine they'd (worse case) throw one another out the tower or (best case) complain to us about it for the rest of the night. So I'll settle for taking Jonas with us.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Cairn at 9:37? And at your feet at 25:05?

Bring Nona cause she seems cool. Also since neither bro would get of their potty nor cease their flinging, neither gets the prize. Maybe bringing Ren would be wiser since he might know where the key actually is, but nah let him chill the gently caress out for a bit.

Calling it now:

1) We've been fed hallucinations the entire night. Clarissa is fine.

2) We're not aware of all the loops. The ghosts are using the loops to get to know us, savescumming through our dialogue tree while making perturbations to the environment until they've mapped out how to turk their sock puppets so they behave as we expect. Maybe we're clueing in gradually, and the tape recorders are the litmus test; once we can see them then we're so aware that continued savescumming is useless, so then we pull the plug on the loop at an appropriate time ourselves, and set ourselves up for the next.

What's all that green mist at 6:54 btw? Also first time we met Nona there was a bit of green gunk in the air as well. Significant?

Also, can you tune in to any red light? You have a red light on top of the tower at 47:23, and also I guess you can see it in the background at 44:43.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 29, 2016

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'd never heard of Oxenfree before this thread, but I'm really digging the approach to horror it has. The "creepy and mysterious radio signals" theme reminds me of the movie Banshee Chapter, which I quite like.

I don't think I'd actually want to play the game itself as choose-your-own-adventure games/elements rub me the wrong way, so I'm glad I get to see it as an LP!

As for pointing out rock cairns, people have probably listed all these already, but they were using time-codes and I didn't think to do that, so I'm not sure for all of them. Here's what I noted down while watching, anyway:

One to the right of the smallest cemetery.

Another one on the path above the hut on the same "screen" as the smallest cemetery?

One up and to the left after the tent loop and the silhouette* - and then maybe another one to the right of that, near the bench. It's kind of hard to tell; the game's pretty foggy and indistinct, and then there's the artefacting from Youtube on top of that.

*Bacter mentioned the silhouette reminding him of "nuclear shadows" - and they do remind me of that too, but also of another horror movie which uses a similar aesthetic: Kairo. My favourite movie, actually.

Lazy Gun
Apr 7, 2009
Fun Shoe
Nona, please. Lets get to know the G from our little RGB trio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Bring Nona. If Clarissa is still out there maybe it'll make the difference. And we've heard a lot from Jonas and Ren already.

• Locked thread