Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://medium.com/@taliajane/an-open-letter-to-my-ceo-fb73df021e7a#.x8iirfrd7

hosed up, IMO

Person works for some "eat24" app customer service and gets paid minimum wage while living in too high cost of life SF. Writes open letter to ceo and gets fired about an hour later.

They want to get into like writing I guess, so they got this job as "entry level" but apparently they leave you there for a year.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I don't want to click that link. Can you sum it up for me?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edgar posted:

"waaaaahhhhhhhh"

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

"waaaaahhhhhhhh"

yeah i don't come to sa to go to other websites either

what's the story

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Get the gently caress out of California lady you aren't wrong but you aren't in the best state for under six figure living

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

real_slime posted:

yeah i don't come to sa to go to other websites either

what's the story

"waaaaaaaaah, I'm a 25 year old English major and I moved to San Francisco because I thought it was maaagiiiicalllll"

real_slime
Apr 21, 2015

by Lowtax

"waaaaaaaaah, I'm a 25 year old English major and I moved to San Francisco because I thought it was maaagiiiicalllll"

well i'm gonna skip it then

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Edgar posted:

"california is full of idiots"

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Living on minimum wage doesn't really work anywhere. 8 bucks an hour for 40 hrs is lol.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

tl,dr - I wasted my college tuition on an English Lit degree so I got a lovely entry level job in a high dollar city. Now I have rent that's too expensive, a commute that's too far away, and my job is hard and they don't pay enough.

PS - I got fired.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Seeing this English lit major suffer because she has a bad job makes me feel good. I love it because she probably enjoyed college while I spent my days online making wikis about retards and hot dog men that I am stalking.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Why would someone get a degree in english literature? Is it because its easy?

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
She has a strong case but fumbles out of the gates by refusing to be a teacher because it would be cliche

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Edgar posted:

Why would someone get a degree in english literature? Is it because its easy?

Guess what you big turbonerd college isn't supposed to be a credit check and a drat trade school it's a place of higher learning and people have been going to them for the arts for a real long drat time you brain dead capitalist cock fluffer

Mahnarch
Jan 7, 2008

Landing?
Do, or Do Not.
There is no 'Try'.
I'm the CEO that fired her.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Mahnarch posted:

I'm the CEO that fired her.

You've made a mistake, friend.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
why does every idiot bitch millennial think that everyone wants to read them write lots of words about they life

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

she moved to san francisco for a minimum wage job just lmao

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

jackyl posted:

why does every idiot bitch millennial think that everyone wants to read them write lots of words about they life

They think other people care

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i wear my bernie sanders shirt to work in front of the mgmt which to them means that i would light their house on fire and slit their throats while they slept as a proud working class person. solidarity

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

jackyl posted:

Most people have a need to express themselves, it's normal.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

america is trash

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gonna pick up and move myself to manhattan, dunkin donuts just accepted my application!

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Why would you want a degree in anything that wasn't mathematically or technology focused? How do you even intend to slot yourself in as a moderately valuable cog within an industry profiting many many so many times more than the amount of money they pay you that allows you to buy enough ipads and 4k tv's to keep yourself distracted that will eventually crash and burn as every bubble has if it can be done anywhere else in the world 20% cheaper and with 60-70% of the quality.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Shaquin posted:

Why would you want a degree in anything that wasn't mathematically or technology focused?

Well one reason would be so you could not make your entire argument based on stupidity like

Shaquin posted:

20% cheaper and with 60-70% of the quality.

congrats on your English degree, hopefully it was 60% cheaper and only 20% worse than the other options

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Eat24 sucks and this girl deserves her terrible life for moving into an apartment that costs 80% of her income or whatever

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Also her dream job that she'll never get now was to parlay her English degree into writing corporate tweets, maybe she should kill herself

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I don't think she should kill herself actually, that would be sad.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Wait she MOVED to San Fran for a minimum wage job? :psyduck:

Oh my god this fuckin girl

Coming out of college without much more than freelancing and tutoring under my belt, I felt it was fair that I start out working in the customer support section of Yelp/Eat24 before I’d be qualified to transfer to media. Then, after I had moved and got firmly stuck in this apartment with this debt, I was told I’d have to work in support for an entire year before I would be able to move to a different department. A whole year answering calls and talking to customers just for the hope that someday I’d be able to make memes and twitter jokes about food. If you follow me on twitter, which you don’t, you’d know that these are things I already do. But that’s neither here nor there. Let’s get back to the situation at hand, shall we?

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Can't wait for ten pages of "by my bootstraps" stories itt.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Wait she MOVED to San Fran for a minimum wage job? :psyduck:

Oh my god this fuckin girl

Coming out of college without much more than freelancing and tutoring under my belt, I felt it was fair that I start out working in the customer support section of Yelp/Eat24 before I’d be qualified to transfer to media. Then, after I had moved and got firmly stuck in this apartment with this debt, I was told I’d have to work in support for an entire year before I would be able to move to a different department. A whole year answering calls and talking to customers just for the hope that someday I’d be able to make memes and twitter jokes about food. If you follow me on twitter, which you don’t, you’d know that these are things I already do. But that’s neither here nor there. Let’s get back to the situation at hand, shall we?

holy gently caress is the whole article like that

Moltke
May 13, 2009

Agag posted:

remember when bootstraps was a punchline in this forum, and not a milieu

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Agag posted:

If you read it as masturbatory fantasy by giant losers who will never even get close to this persons success then it will become funny.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

making memes and tweets is my dream job too, i went to college for it

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
i got a liberal arts degree because I'm a lazy piece of poo poo. i don't think i learned anything tbqh that i couldn't have learned from perusing a wikipedia article on the same topics

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Kuato posted:

i got a liberal arts degree because I'm a lazy piece of poo poo. i don't think i learned anything tbqh that i couldn't have learned from perusing a wikipedia article on the same topics

Me too, did you also get wasted almost constantly for four years?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Agag posted:

Me too, did you also get wasted almost constantly for four years?

heck yeah! good times. graduated in four years too. :smug:

iota subscript
Oct 26, 2010

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - ONE SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE

Kuato posted:

I got a classics degree because I wanted to study something difficult that was also completely useless.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and was very much in favor of the redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the addition of more government welfare programs. The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn’t even have time for a boyfriend, and didn’t really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, “How is your friend Audrey doing?” She replied, “Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She’s always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn’t even show up for classes because she’s too hung over.”

Her wise father asked his daughter, “Why don’t you go to the Dean’s office and ask him to deduct a 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA.”

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father’s suggestion, angrily fired back, “That wouldn’t be fair! I have worked really hard for my grades! I’ve invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!”

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, “Welcome to the Republican party.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 4, 2010

she got owned, good job CEO.

• Locked thread