Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moltke
May 13, 2009
personal responsibility :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

max4me posted:

Am i wrong for thinking that she should not have been fired for this letter. That she have the freedom speak this and keep her job. Hell maybe the CEO could have responded and took her down a few pegs and told her to get back to work or leave.
you are wrong, the focus absolutely must be on this dame and her terrible life decisions, not on the fact that the company operates in such a way that this is guaranteed to happen

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

SF sounds like a really lovely place to live and work

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

havalux posted:

I got a classics degree because I wanted to study something difficult that was also completely useless.

Did you expect to immediately parlay this degree into a lucrative job writing tweets and memes that would allow you to live comfortably without roomies in one of the most expensive places on the planet?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the weather is good & there are things to see (& things to do if you have $$$)

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
*smiles dreamily*
fiscal responsibility...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

max4me posted:

Am i wrong for thinking that she should not have been fired for this letter. That she have the freedom speak this and keep her job. Hell maybe the CEO could have responded and took her down a few pegs and told her to get back to work or leave.

Yeah, you are wrong. Freedom of speech doesn't give you freedom from consequences. It just means you won't get arrested for speaking your mind....unless it's treason or something I guess.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
what an entitled little poo poo

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I still hope that all these Internet Mommy companies like eat24 will fail, I understand that means poor people thrown out of work but it also means some rich people might have to leave their ivory towers

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I posted in the Schadenfreude thread that it sucks that she's learning that life doesn't give a gently caress about you and it isn't fair at 25, but better late than never. I think she'll be fine. Doses of reality are good for people.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, you are wrong. Freedom of speech doesn't give you freedom from consequences. It just means you won't get arrested for speaking your mind....unless it's treason or something I guess.
pre:
  ,--._,-.
_/________\_
(--[ .]-[ .]  /
(_______o__)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

pre:
  ,--._,-.
_/________\_
(--[ .]-[ .]  /
(_______o__)

Is that your avatar saying I'm right? Or are you saying that anyone should be able to say anything at any time to anyone and not have any repercussions of any sort in any way? Cause I'd like that too, but that isn't the way this world works.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The right to anonymous speech would be a cool forward-thinking thing for a society to guarantee though and I think the good stuff would outweigh the bad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

It's the modern day gold rush. All these fresh college grads flock to it with dreams of turning their social media habits into 6 figure salaries, and the IT crowd does the same to work 3 different programming jobs as contract workers while also freelancing and not having healthcare. Yeah the techies make 60k+ easily but in that environment and culture there's no chance for settling down and raising a family. Even making close to half a million combined as a couple isn't enough to get a home loan and start raising 2.3 kids.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The right to anonymous speech would be a cool forward-thinking thing for a society to guarantee though and I think the good stuff would outweigh the bad.

We have that now. She could have printed that letter and left it on all the desks in her company and posted it on all the bulletin boards and taped it to all the refrigerators and just not sign it. But that was not the point of her "open letter to her CEO" because she could have just emailed it to the entire office if that was her real intent. Her intent was to score internet points and hopefully get like $200k deposited in her paypal for doing essentially nothing. Honestly, I hope it works because I may just start making fake twitter accounts and posting awesome "I quit" letters to random companies to support myself.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Nah it's actually great if you have money. Why do you think it's so loving expensive to live there? Because that's where everyone wants to be.

Nauta posted:

This is pretty much it. She somehow feels entitled to have what, her own apartment in a nice neighborhood of one of the most expensive cities in the world? And of course plenty of spending money to go out to eat, drink and have fun every night? And she is entitled to this why?

Sorry but all those kids working as engineers at Google want that same apartment

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
she's not living in the city you idiots, are you even aware that the bay area exists as a place and not just on TV?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm kind of amazed someone rented her a 1250 dollar a month apartment when her take home is like 1400.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Solice Kirsk posted:

We have that now. She could have printed that letter and left it on all the desks in her company and posted it on all the bulletin boards and taped it to all the refrigerators and just not sign it. But that was not the point of her "open letter to her CEO" because she could have just emailed it to the entire office if that was her real intent. Her intent was to score internet points and hopefully get like $200k deposited in her paypal for doing essentially nothing. Honestly, I hope it works because I may just start making fake twitter accounts and posting awesome "I quit" letters to random companies to support myself.

No poo poo. If she was really interested in working for this company she should have marched up to her boss and explained why her time is worth more than $7.25/hr.

Fuckin' millennials.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Infidel Castro posted:

No poo poo. If she was really interested in working for this company she should have marched up to her boss and explained why her time is worth more than $7.25/hr.

Fuckin' millennials.

As of Jan 1st 2016 minimum wage in CA is $10 an hour, and it goes up to $11 on Jan 1st 2017. It is also one of the few states where in the tipping/service industry they can't pay you less then minimum with the excuse of "they make tips".

All in all, probably the #1 best state by far to make minimum wage depending on where you live.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Lots of unchecked privilege itt

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Why should a full time worker be able to feed and shelter themselves in this modern age?? What a dumb bitch

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My quick and dirty math (aka probably wrong) places her at around $12 an hour. So like $25k a year. Yeah, you can live on that in a super expensive area with no roommates. No problem. After all, you have a job and that's literally the only requirement to live wherever the hell you want and not have to make a proper budget for yourself.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Hehe I'm gonna move to one of the most affluent places in the world, pioneering global technology hoping to be able to feed and shelter myself but that turned out to be an outrageous concept

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
25000 dollars is not a budget for living anywhere in the united states sorry the math does not check out any longer for anywhere. You better hope to god you don't have a single unexpected loving expense come up.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I guess if you are loving autistic it's pretty easy to quantify "living" as the act of not being dead and subsisting out of a ten pound bag of rice

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shaquin posted:

I guess if you are loving autistic it's pretty easy to quantify "living" as the act of not being dead and subsisting out of a ten pound bag of rice

I'd be more forgiving to her if she didn't constantly reference the rice every time the CEO's wealth came up as some sort of dig against him.

Also, she definitely qualified for CA CalFresh (food stamps), so not taking advantage of that is pretty dumb because that's about $300 a month for food at her income level.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I would guess that the large majority of people under 30 living in places like SF or NYC have roommates or live with their parents. Yeah it's not as cool as having your own place, but you might have to make a few compromises in life if you want to live somewhere so expensive and you earn close to minimum wage.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

pentyne posted:

I'd be more forgiving to her if she didn't constantly reference the rice every time the CEO's wealth came up as some sort of dig against him.

Also, she definitely qualified for CA CalFresh (food stamps), so not taking advantage of that is pretty dumb because that's about $300 a month for food at her income level.

hehehe look at this scum gently caress

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Nation posted:

Why should a full time worker be able to feed and shelter themselves in this modern age?? What a dumb bitch

this is a retarded hyberbole

Shaquin posted:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nation posted:

Hehe I'm gonna move to one of the most affluent places in the world, pioneering global technology hoping to be able to feed and shelter myself but that turned out to be an outrageous concept

Maybe she should have gotten a better job that can support the life she wants to live? Or maybe tempered her expectations to what that job would allow her to live (not much, but really with like 2 or 3 roommates everything would be easier on her). Until some fairy godmother comes along and waves a magic wand to right all the wrongs with US employment people are gonna have to figure poo poo out on their own. Millions of people manage to do it. Maybe she could have asked for a raise. Maybe she could have applied for other open positions in her company. Maybe she could have searched for other employment. She knew how much she was gonna make when she accepted the job. The pay is lovely, but it's something both her and the company agreed on. Life is hard and isn't fair and if you're hoping for a world where it ever will be then you're gonna be disappointed for the remainder of it.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Nauta posted:

this is a retarded hyberbole

please dont troll

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
ITT goons continuously and retardedly assume there is a magical utopia in America where minimum wage feels just fine and the cost of living scales linearly downwards to reflect your wise choice to not give a poo poo about sushi places or some loving crap

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe she should have gotten a better job that can support the life she wants to live? Or maybe tempered her expectations to what that job would allow her to live (not much, but really with like 2 or 3 roommates everything would be easier on her). Until some fairy godmother comes along and waves a magic wand to right all the wrongs with US employment people are gonna have to figure poo poo out on their own. Millions of people manage to do it. Maybe she could have asked for a raise. Maybe she could have applied for other open positions in her company. Maybe she could have searched for other employment. She knew how much she was gonna make when she accepted the job. The pay is lovely, but it's something both her and the company agreed on. Life is hard and isn't fair and if you're hoping for a world where it ever will be then you're gonna be disappointed for the remainder of it.

Maybe baby

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nation posted:

Maybe baby

Well put.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
ITT goons make idiotic hyberboles because some materialistic spoiled little bitch can't live her dream staright out of college

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Nauta posted:

ITT goons make idiotic hyberboles because some materialistic spoiled little bitch can't live her dream staright out of college

food and shelter for a full time worker, hyperbole, hyper-dumbass!!!!

hehe cant spell straight cos he never had to write it before

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I can't really assume age ranges here and I don't know what kind of ruck you are all hauling your own selves but let me tell you it's a real fuckin hum dinger to be in the mid twenties trying to figure poo poo out in this economy if by circumstance or choice you find yourself with a modicum of trouble seeking employment. The platitudes about life and jobs and getting used to it are all real fuckin cutesy and correct but it is the most absolutely infuriating poo poo on earth to just listen to people opine about how poo poo is bad it's always gonna be bad. Does that sound loving inspiring to you? Does it sound great feeling forty at age 26? Because that's what is going on for a sizeable portion of this country. Here's an idea when your kid turns about fifteen or so make sure you sit them down and give them a big loving lecture about being a nihilist piece of poo poo because that's just the way the world turns.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She probably could if she applied for tons of jobs in the field that she got her degree. Hell, having a degree in general should net her a job better than what she accepted. I know tons of people that never went to college and live comfortably. This was just someone that couldn't or didn't know how to budget and took a job that paid way too little for her costs of living. We can argue till we're blue in the face about paying living wages to full time employees (I 100% agree that it needs to happen), but that doesn't change the fact that right now that isn't how the country works and until it is everyone has to just make due with the world they live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Actually poo poo is great - wealth inequality is bad

• Locked thread