Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

gary oldmans diary posted:

stop im getting flashbacks of those terrifying books
now thats real horror
skeletons and such
not this weak stuff about little girls having phones -who cares

Seriously. People act like teens weren't always selfish and dumb. Remember camcorder crime sprees in the 90s?

If kids of any generation would have had smart phones and social media, they'd be doing the same stupid poo poo as kids today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FIRST TIME posted:

What's the deal with British media that you can get successfully sued for saying something slightly mean about a celebrity or politician but all the news stories about anyone else are biased as gently caress?

Those other people have money.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I didn't know people used snapchat for non-sex purposes

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
drat and here I was expecting another school shooting...

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Cantaloupe posted:

yeah its used for murder too

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

FIRST TIME posted:

Perfectly normal. Lena Dunham did it, it's just a part of growing up. :rolleye:

Today's authorities just dont understand millenials

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

FIRST TIME posted:

What's the deal with British media that you can get successfully sued for saying something slightly mean about a celebrity or politician but all the news stories about anyone else are biased as gently caress?

well, they're a country that still has royalty and their economy is based on finance and suckling the dicks of wealthier countries that actually make and do things so naturally their system is set up to facilitate this

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Been doing the life math and some poo poo just aint adding up here.. says we need to execute at least 4 more teens to break even

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
You know I thought Scream 4 was a joke but I guess Wes Craven got the last laugh in the end.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

hackbunny posted:

men make it about sex, women are more freestyle about it

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Back in the mid 90s, I had a teacher who was telling us about the 'superpredators'. There was a belief that after the 80s there was going to be this generation of children who were without conscience, thousands of children and teenagers roving the nation who would be the most violent and vicious of all time. Even Hillary was talking it 20 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALXulk0T8cg

It sort of quickly vanished, though. In fact, I think it was almost forgotten completely by a lot of people as even a small blip on the social radar. The only legacy in the US seemingly being increased youthful offender punishments that popped up in that time that remain today.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

Back in the mid 90s, I had a teacher who was telling us about the 'superpredators'. There was a belief that after the 80s there was going to be this generation of children who were without conscience, thousands of children and teenagers roving the nation who would be the most violent and vicious of all time. Even Hillary was talking it 20 years ago.

It sort of quickly vanished, though. In fact, I think it was almost forgotten completely by a lot of people as even a small blip on the social radar. The only legacy in the US seemingly being increased youthful offender punishments that popped up in that time that remain today.

There's a part in the book starship troopers where Heinlein goes on a rant about how because everybody stopped spanking their kids that at the start of the 21st century cities were completely overrun with roving gangs of degenerate hoodlums until martial punishment is adopted as a way to deal with crime instead of using a prison system.
He mentioned how the prison system only worked to harden young offends and turn them into worse criminals (which is true) and how smacking the gently caress out of kids when they do bad things was necessary to reform society through pavlovian conditioning (p. loving debatable). It was kinda weird but I can't say I out right disagreed.

Ideas been around for a while is what i'm saying.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Ok I just looked and I'll check again but how the gently caress hasn't anyone made a loving Clockwork Orange reference yet? Holy poo poo you're all loving millennials, we're loving dead.

Edit: OWNED

Didn't check the youtube link

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 20, 2016

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Ok I just looked and I'll check again but how the gently caress hasn't anyone made a loving Clockwork Orange reference yet? Holy poo poo you're all loving millennials, we're loving dead.

Check harder.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cantaloupe posted:

my wife says its just easier than text. wtf?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Digital Fingers posted:

There's a part in the book starship troopers where Heinlein goes on a rant about how because everybody stopped spanking their kids that at the start of the 21st century cities were completely overrun with roving gangs of degenerate hoodlums until martial punishment is adopted as a way to deal with crime instead of using a prison system.
He mentioned how the prison system only worked to harden young offends and turn them into worse criminals (which is true) and how smacking the gently caress out of kids when they do bad things was necessary to reform society through pavlovian conditioning (p. loving debatable). It was kinda weird but I can't say I out right disagreed.

From what I can tell, the spanking=well behaved children idea is a thing that lazy parents parrot to make themselves feel like good parents.

My own observation and experience leads me to believe that giving a poo poo about your kids, paying attention to what they're doing, and being involved in their lives is more important than anything else.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
gently caress spanking

Let's face it some kids need tasering

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Children just need a good waterboarding.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

"I tell ya what, we did everything to raise that child right. Spankings for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Sometimes they just don't turn out right no matter what ya do. Musta been all them vidja games and the tee vee that made them kill."

*wipes single tear from eye*

*shotguns another Miller Lite*

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Gravel and grit but no cuttle bone?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Seems like the only logical next step is to kill all teenagers

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shaquin posted:

Why are women always incredibly next level when psychopathy is involved

have you ever heard how women talk about one another when it's just them and you and they think no one else can hear? its something in their dna or maybe vagina goop is liquid hate or something

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SirEvelynTremble posted:

They were in a care home which means they have a family who don't want them

because they're psychopaths

my money is on they were in a care home because of some awful sex thing someone did to them because thats usually how you break a kid to the point of them murdering someone with a tv

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

FIRST TIME posted:

From what I can tell, the spanking=well behaved children idea is a thing that lazy parents parrot to make themselves feel like good parents.

My own observation and experience leads me to believe that giving a poo poo about your kids, paying attention to what they're doing, and being involved in their lives is more important than anything else.

Not interested in debating that point since i'm not a psychologist brother, i'm inclined to agree with you though.
He was more talking about reform coming from state instituted lashings as opposed to prison terms and in edge cases like that in the OP execution. The books worth a read in any case.

As an aside I would 100% support the execution of the teenagers in the OP under these circumstance- there's no doubt of their guilt. Them going though the prison system to be released at the age of 20 or w/e is not a desirable outcome. Even if they can be reformed I don't care, they don't deserve that chance imo.

Digital Fingers fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 20, 2016

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

e: Double post, servers are being weird

"Server error

500"

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Shaquin posted:

Why are women always incredibly next level when psychopathy is involved

I dunno but I'm into it

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Every day there are news stories of animal tortures and child rape in the news and GBS is always like "oh cool lol", then the moment somebody murders a 30-something alcoholic you all lose your poo poo.

Keg fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 20, 2016

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Cantaloupe posted:

what do you mean, i came

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Keg posted:

Every day there are news stories of animal tortures and child rape in the news and GBS is always like "oh cool lol", the the moment somebody murders a 30-something alcoholic you all lose your poo poo.

Most of us are.....

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Keg posted:

Every day there are news stories of animal tortures and child rape in the news and GBS is always like "oh cool lol"

this isn't a thing

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Keg posted:

Every day there are news stories of animal tortures and child rape in the news and GBS is always like "oh cool lol", then the moment somebody murders a 30-something alcoholic you all lose your poo poo.

well yeah

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

VendaGoat posted:

Most of us are.....

thejoke_emoticon.png

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

mdm posted:

If a bear had mauled this woman I bet you wouldn't be for the death penalty!

Naw death penalty is fine for gays too. Equality for all etc.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Digital Fingers posted:

Starship troopers is a bad book written by a terrible author.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

skeletonotherkin posted:

Starship troopers is a bad book written by a terrible author.

You've never read it.

e: just like every other goon who parrots this because they heard another goon say it once

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Digital Fingers posted:

You've never read it.

e: just like every other goon who parrots this because they heard another goon say it once

I've read other Heinlein though and it's also got horrible garbage to interesting parts ratio.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
wow what an uggo drunkard. Kinda of goodm aybe an alcholic is dead?

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I've read other Heinlein though and it's also got horrible garbage to interesting parts ratio.

Science-fiction in a nutshell, yeah.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SirEvelynTremble posted:

The telegraph seems to be gleeful in its gory details, there's more to read. The thing that gives me goosebumps is the selfies mixed with psychopathy - millenials kill with a smartphone in one hand.

Someone never saw a picture from Abu Ghraib, particularly the ones of Charles Graner and Sabrina Harman giving the thumbs up while standing over the dead body of Manadel al-Jamadi in a body bag.

And it's probably been longer than that. I think "killers posing with their killed" is a thing that's been going on since reflected photons hit the silver iodide film of a daguerreotype.

JediTalentAgent posted:

That poo poo goes back to the '70s and '80s. It's a particular shown in pop culture of the time (which also influenced society in how it viewed youth crime), especially with films like Death Wish and The Class Of 1984, and it's why movies like Escape From New York and Robocop are set somewhere in the '90s, because everyone thought that would be the peak of crime and would require extreme measures to get under control. The reason it never came to be is the elimination of lead paint in most homes, increased law enforcement presence and policies, and legalized abortion removing unwanted pregnancies that would likely have grown up into abandoned and neglected children who would eventually be these "superpredators".

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Digital Fingers posted:

You've never read it.

No I have read it, along with Farnham's Freehold its the one of the worsts books I've ever read.

• Locked thread