Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Saw this last night and loved it. The whole scene with Caleb dying and reciting scripture was a real stand out moment for me. The lil lovely kids pretending to be sick in the back, Caleb having a flash before your eyes death speech, both parents trying to pray the devil out and all that overlapping made for a kind of tension and unease I haven't got from a movie in a while .

Got kind of worried after reading about some crowds with not-so-great audiences, especially when I saw mostly what looked like teens filling the theater but everyone was pretty quiet and glued to the screen for pretty much the entire movie. Only scenes that got a laugh were Raven Titty and Black Phillip talking which make sense because they're both pretty ridiculous (in a really good way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Everything about goats rules.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Anal Surgery posted:

Yeah, if I have any complaints about this movie, it's that the goat's face is just so chill a lot of the time that he wasn't as creepy as he was probably supposed to be. Goats rule and Black Phillip rules, but several times the camera pans over to him and he looks like he just smoked a j. "Sssssup, puritans... " :cool:

What specifically is "wrong" about goats is the same thing that makes crows and cats seem sinister. An evil cow doesn't really read, but goats are so easy to anthropomorphize.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What specifically is "wrong" about goats is the same thing that makes crows and cats seem sinister. An evil cow doesn't really read, but goats are so easy to anthropomorphize.

I was surprised at how terrifying they managed to make a rabbit, an animal I'm predisposed to finding adorable. I find goats adorable too, but like you said they're also much more naturally evil looking.

that shot of the goat rearing up on his hind legs was already very striking in the trailer, but coming where it does in the context of the movie it's seriously freaky.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What's that line from Antichrist? "Nature is Satan's church."

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's that line from Antichrist? "Nature is Satan's church."

I even thought Antichrist was better and more unsettling! It did a better job w/ tension imo

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Was it just me, or did the dad say "Corruption is my father" before he dropped the axe after getting gored by Black Phillip? I took that as him accepting Satan but it seemed really out of nowhere.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Now you'd think Puritans would if nobody else be creeped out by their kids talking to a goat. Not to get all nitpicky but it seems like that's the kind of thing they'd have beat out of them immediately.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Was it just me, or did the dad say "Corruption is my father" before he dropped the axe after getting gored by Black Phillip? I took that as him accepting Satan but it seemed really out of nowhere.

probably said "thy", not "my"

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
So I've been thinking about this for a day or two and I wonder...

Would this have been a better movie if we weren't shown basically right off the bat that there is a witch and she's evil enough to grind up a baby? Without that one scene we'd have the baby disappearing and the movie turns into an "Is there a witch, or are they all just going crazy?" question until the very end when Black Phillip finally speaks. Obviously they'd have to change what happens to Caleb also...

The director did an interview where he mentioned that perhaps the corn fungus is ergot, which is a powerful natural hallucinogen. Buncha Puritans tripping balls and killing each other itm.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

JonathonSpectre posted:

Would this have been a better movie if we weren't shown basically right off the bat that there is a witch and she's evil enough to grind up a baby? Without that one scene we'd have the baby disappearing and the movie turns into an "Is there a witch, or are they all just going crazy?" question until the very end when Black Phillip finally speaks. Obviously they'd have to change what happens to Caleb also...

I think the movie is more menacing without that ambiguity, personally. Sets up the stakes right at the beginning and then puts the family in a pressure cooker while we wait for everything to go to hell.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

MisterBibs posted:

Movies are passive entertainment; the audience spends money for for the film to engage them. Be funny, be scary, be inspiring, be ~whatever~. If audiences aren't being engaged, the movie is at fault.

Movies are not by necessity a passive entertainment. I consider myself an active participant when I watch a movie. Cause, ya know, I use my mind.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Norse Code posted:

Huh, yeah that would totally change how I read the scene. Can't wait to see this one again. I'm going to have to read up on witch lore first though, I feel like I missed a lot.

JonathonSpectre posted:

The director did an interview where he mentioned that perhaps the corn fungus is ergot, which is a powerful natural hallucinogen. Buncha Puritans tripping balls and killing each other itm.

I'm kind of tired of the "It was all in their heads the whole time" trope in horror movies. I feel like that's almost more common than there actually being a monster now, it's kind of played out. I liked The Babadook but all people talked about was how the Babadook was just a manifestation of the mom's depression and none of it was real . I think that witches being imaginary would be more cliche, at this point, than a straight up witch-horror movie. If there was any ambiguity as to whether there was actually a witch then I bet people would interpret the ghost goat talking as just Thomasin losing her mind.

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 23, 2016

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, I've gotta say I found the lack of ambiguity on that point pretty refreshing. The movie is better for the audience knowing and the family not knowing.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I thought the ambiguity, early on, was going to be whether the old lady in the woods was magical monster or just a murderous human being. I'm glad it went the way it did.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not accusing this thread of this (although I've seen the sentiment a handful of times) but I can see why a poster earlier said that he found people that loved this movie to be obnoxious. Reviews and comments around the internet really bring out the smug pretentious rear end in a top hat in people. I can't believe the amount of times I read the sentiment that people won't like this movie because they are "too dumb" or something similar while reading opinions and reviews on it today.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Norse Code posted:

I heard "my" too. I figured it was him going "I've really hosed everything up."

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
I didn't find this movie terrible or incredible. It was decently entertaining. I enjoyed the atmosphere, the cinematography, the acting, but it just never came together for me into some great thought-provoking piece.Many review summaries called it thought-provoking, and that's a term I personally wouldn't apply to this movie. It was just a nice little film. Comparing it to the last two movies I saw, I enjoyed it more than Deadpool, but not as much as The Revenant.

Fit bearded Stephen Fry was a lot of fun to watch though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Now you'd think Puritans would if nobody else be creeped out by their kids talking to a goat. Not to get all nitpicky but it seems like that's the kind of thing they'd have beat out of them immediately.

The treatment of Black Philip in this reminds me of how they treat Captain Howdy in the Exorcist. Both movies are of course super archetypal.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

NESguerilla posted:

I'm not accusing this thread of this (although I've seen the sentiment a handful of times) but I can see why a poster earlier said that he found people that loved this movie to be obnoxious. Reviews and comments around the internet really bring out the smug pretentious rear end in a top hat in people. I can't believe the amount of times I read the sentiment that people won't like this movie because they are "too dumb" or something similar while reading opinions and reviews on it today.

You aren't wrong, but that attitude definitely cuts both ways. It's equally annoying to see people rolling their eyes at anyone who tries to dig beneath the surface of a film or talk about movies beyond "I liked it" or "I didn't like it." There are groups of people who love it and groups who hate it that both refuse to enter into a good-faith discussion, and it's usually best to just move on when you run into a person like that. If anything, CD is remarkably tame when it comes to both extremes - a while back someone linked a reddit thread where people were literally trying to argue that subtext - as in, the entire concept of subtext - didn't exist. And I tend to see people asking for elaboration / having genuine discussions more than I see people just being assholes to each other, but maybe I don't lurk around in the right threads.

It really comes down to people at both ends of the scale getting frustrated with the inability to really communicate effectively with each other (which is kinda inevitable, honestly) and resorting to exaggeration / straw-man arguments / personal attacks.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Let me start by saying I generally hate jump scares and slashers and usually only appreciate them for the campyness. I love a good slow burn and a movie that builds tension and dread, this movie was not that. It sucked.
I am also left wondering if I even watched the same movie as some of the posters in this thread.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The who-dunnit aspect was also really well-done
How is the who-dunnit aspect well done when you very blatantly find out the witch dunnit in the first act?

I really loved the atmosphere they set up as far it being a period piece goes. There was incredible tension to detail, the shooting was excellent, and they did a good job of showing the hardships of being a settler. They did a horrible job of being a horror or setting up any kind of unnerving atmosphere. All of the horror moments were very spares and in direct contrast to the rest of the film. The film has this great gritty realism to the whole thing and then throws in a litteral cackling witch and a comedic relief ending.

It attempted to include themes of the evil within, but these were undermined with how out of place the outward evil was portrayed. It suffered from a major identity crisis and lack of direction. On one hand the movie is about the family tearing itself apart and Tomasins persecution, but the audience has little reason to care about that when you show the witch in the opening act. On the other hand its about a witch stalking a family and tearing them apart, but her influence is minimal and they would have done that without her. The characters were all established early, and then re-established over and over. It quickly became apparent how the movie would end and that the only interesting plot thread of the movie, the family itself was going nowhere. There was no tension or payoff to any of the events that took place and I was left just waiting for it to end.

The sound mixing was pretty atrocious as well. I'm ok with period speak, but the words themselves were often intelligible, the fathers voice especially had way too much reverb. There were several scenes in the movie where I think the characters were speaking in tongues, but I am really not sure because of how poorly the audio was mixed.

CubanMissile posted:

I think it shows that that when you make a film into a pretty, well acted art project designed to see how long you can go before giving the audience the movie they thought they were paying for in the end, the critics will eat that poo poo up and call it original.
This is very much how I feel about it. Its a refreshing break from the usual schlock, and its incredibly well shot. That alone does not make a good movie.

I saw a comparison to bone tomahawk earlier and its a much better example of what they were trying to accomplish. BT is just thick with tension and the entire movie has an incredible sense of urgency that keeps you engaged. The payoff at the end also shared the same brutal realism and tone as the rest of the film. With The VVitch, there was no sense of urgency, it made it clear from the start they were all doomed and the ending was already written. There wasn't much reason to continue to be engaged. The ending was completely out of place and in huge contrast to the tone of the movie.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 24, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

eSporks posted:

How is the who-dunnit aspect well done when you very blatantly find out the witch dunnit in the first act?

I meant moreso with regards to who's engaging with the which/Satan, which is kind of unclear until the last act, but also the actual who-dunnit that occurs within the family that gradually casts Thomasin out.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I might be reaching here, but it seems like everyone aside from Thomasin had their own pet Deadly Sin.

Will's was easily and most obviously Pride.

Katherine's was Wrath.

Caleb's was Lust.

The Twins, it's a reach but I think you could make the case for Sloth.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

There's an argument to be made regarding the twins that, since Black Phillip encourages their inane playing and singing, sloth is indeed their sin to showcase. Their silliness serves to distract the family and, later on, divides them.

Henker
May 5, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm kind of tired of the "It was all in their heads the whole time" trope in horror movies. I feel like that's almost more common than there actually being a monster now, it's kind of played out. I liked The Babadook but all people talked about was how the Babadook was just a manifestation of the mom's depression and none of it was real . I think that witches being imaginary would be more cliche, at this point, than a straight up witch-horror movie. If there was any ambiguity as to whether there was actually a witch then I bet people would interpret the ghost goat talking as just Thomasin losing her mind.
I'm already seeing people theorize this and it drives me nuts. Seriously, the movie was pretty fukkin' unambiguous that the witch and Satan were real.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I meant moreso with regards to who's engaging with the which/Satan, which is kind of unclear until the last act, but also the actual who-dunnit that occurs within the family that gradually casts Thomasin out.
I don't really follow. The fact that anyone is engaging with the which/Satan isn't even an issue until someone actually does it, and no one even was until the reveal. There is absolutely no build up to suggest that anyone would even be doing that. Thats one of my biggest complaints about the movie, things just happen without cause and effect or progression. As far as who casts Thomasin out, thats not really mystery either. It clear from the very beginning of the movie that the entire family is going to rip itself apart and also that the witch did it. I'm having a really hard time seeing this mystery when the whole plot of the movie is resolved in the first act. The movie was pretty much the first act with all the conflict and resolution and everything you needed to know, the pointless middle act where they just rehashed everything from the first act, and then the comedy third act where it abruptly changed tone for no reason. 2/3s of the movie did not need to exist.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Space Fish posted:

There's an argument to be made regarding the twins that, since Black Phillip encourages their inane playing and singing, sloth is indeed their sin to showcase. Their silliness serves to distract the family and, later on, divides them.

I believe this would be referred to as "idling," which comes up a lot in the movie

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

...a while back someone linked a reddit thread where people were literally trying to argue that subtext - as in, the entire concept of subtext - didn't exist.

When I was in my fourth year of college I was in a class that focused on literature by Paris expatriates, and we were talking at length about the existence of homosexual subtext in a Hemingway novel (this was hardly a groundbreaking discussion) and all of a sudden this kid stands up, slams his book shut and yells, "These are fictional characters, they don't do anything that's not on the loving page" and storms out of the classroom never to be seen again.

I think about that a lot.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I might be reaching here, but it seems like everyone aside from Thomasin had their own pet Deadly Sin.

Will's was easily and most obviously Pride.

Katherine's was Wrath.

Caleb's was Lust.

The Twins, it's a reach but I think you could make the case for Sloth.

I think Thomasin would be wrath. She scared the twins by saying she's a witch and threatening them in a really creepy way, and then she lost her temper with Will (though I can understand that one) and finally made a pact with Satan probably partly out of spite.

Katherine might be closer to envy or greed. I think her possessiveness towards her family is more of a defining trait than wrath. Granted she did do the strangling thing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Saw this tonight and walked away a bit underwhelmed. As it's been said a ton its technically brilliant and beautiful to look at.

But for a horror movie - especially with that the trailers and the basic premise is - it wasn't evil enough. It's my own fault for hyping it up to be Satan roaming around but I barely got a sense of dread or fear. I imagined the goat from the trailer would transform into something when it jumped up since it cut away fast in all the promos but in the end... nothing.

And when I say evil - I mean more occult, more menace, more anything - something to let my imagination run wild. The first Paranormal Activity did this for me - I believed that a giant goat man was terrorizing that couple (and the sequels poo poo on me since its just some creepy man named Jacob? I forget) and stomping around. It hosed me up even though it's just a movie.

I walk away from this with no dread, no fear, no nothing except - "well, that sure was a thing".

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I figured the "corruption is my father" line was the beginning of some prayer of his. When the father goes out hunting with Caleb he quizzes him on what I'm guessing is his religious teaching and it's all about how they are born from and full of corruption and that they must always strive to godliness because of it.

Was Caleb's death spasm speech supposed to be strangely sexual in tone? If his sin was lust it would make sense, and emphasizes that even clinging to their faith as hard as they could, Big D's temptations still win.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Was Caleb's death spasm speech supposed to be strangely sexual in tone? If his sin was lust it would make sense, and emphasizes that even clinging to their faith as hard as they could, Big D's temptations still win.

That's definitely how I read it. I thought he was gonna bust a nut but it went a different direction.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Definitely seemed like it. It made me think of religious ecstasies as in St. Theresa of Avila, where it's called an ecstasy by the faithful but is also extremely sexual if you read between the lines. "Being pierced by Christ" etc etc. That scene horrified me like the sexual violence of the Exorcist did. It was just so... wrong.

Great scene!

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I went into this movie blind with a couple friends tonight. My opinion is that it was a very well made boring movie.

The story was too slow for me. Also it could have benefited with some subtitles. I appreciate the authentic language, but I had trouble following a lot that was being said.

I didn't feel ripped off after it was over though. The acting was great, it was shot well, but it just felt like a chore to sit through until the end scenes.

Rock Or Roll
Feb 18, 2013
I really enjoyed this; but I also had the privilege of a nearly empty theater. I saw it on a whim knowing nearly nothing about it. I read it was an art-house-horror-movie akin to "It Follows" and that Black Phillip was an avid Twitter user. I understand the ending being so polarizing, but I'm a bit surprised the rest of the film didn't hold up for people. I thought it was wonderfully shot and paced.

[Spoilers:]

OctaviusBeaver posted:

My main problem with it was the plot during the last 1/4 of the movie. Everyone turns evil out of nowhere for some reason. I guess I get the mom doing it because she wants to see her kids again. But the father decides not to kill the goat for no reason that I can tell, he just says "Hail Satan" and dies. It was strange because in the scene right before that he broke down, realized he was prideful and prayed for forgiveness. I didn't see how that led up to him turning evil and abandoning his family. I could understand Thomasin (sp?) going with the goat out of fear or shock, but it doesn't seem like that. She really just wants material possessions and goes from good Christian->Witch for the hell of it. She doesn't even seem scared. And she's just going to join up with the people who murdered her brother, who she seemed to love based on what we saw. Is it implying that Thomasin really was involved in witchcraft from the start? Or the twins were? They just vanished. I'm probably missing something, it just seemed odd and un-fulfilling to me.

I saw it as him sacrificing himself. When he prayed for forgiveness, he also begged God to do unto him whatever he wanted; but to spare his family. He saw it as a sign of God hearing his prayers. It was his punishment, and he was accepting it to save his family. As for Thomasin - someone already addressed the logical choice of her signing the pact.On her own, she would starve. If she returned to the village she would be tried for witchcraft, kept in exile, or married off. Thematically, it was to show the freedom from the Puritan/religious misogyny, oppression, etc.

Anal Surgery posted:

Yeah, if I have any complaints about this movie, it's that the goat's face is just so chill a lot of the time that he wasn't as creepy as he was probably supposed to be.

But the part where Phillip is standing next to the twins. The way he creepily tilts his head slightly at the camera was perfect.
Black Phillip owns.

Related:
He has heard my offerings

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

lol nice

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I loved it overall, I'm definitely planning on seeing it again. Somebody earlier said it best I think: it didn't feel like a movie, it felt like somebody stuck a camera on a farm in New England in the 1600s.

My main problem with it was the plot during the last 1/4 of the movie. Everyone turns evil out of nowhere for some reason. I guess I get the mom doing it because she wants to see her kids again. But the father decides not to kill the goat for no reason that I can tell, he just says "Hail Satan" and dies. It was strange because in the scene right before that he broke down, realized he was prideful and prayed for forgiveness. I didn't see how that led up to him turning evil and abandoning his family. I could understand Thomasin (sp?) going with the goat out of fear or shock, but it doesn't seem like that. She really just wants material possessions and goes from good Christian->Witch for the hell of it. She doesn't even seem scared. And she's just going to join up with the people who murdered her brother, who she seemed to love based on what we saw. Is it implying that Thomasin really was involved in witchcraft from the start? Or the twins were? They just vanished. I'm probably missing something, it just seemed odd and un-fulfilling to me.

I think the "Corruption, you are my father" thing with the pa was about what his wife saw as the absence of the Lord and the presence of Evil and him finally seeing it, having to kneel to it and acknowledge its power. He set out as a man of faith, believed that it was a test and that he was being humbled only to be slain by an icon of Evil with no warning. I think it's the movie's grimmest declaration of Evil and I think it works. I also, and maybe this is just me, think Thomasin had a similar revelation but coupled with the fact that she was a lone girl in the woods who would never survive by herself; who else could she turn to?

Ah I see some of these points were already brought up.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 26, 2016

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Anal Surgery posted:

Definitely seemed like it. It made me think of religious ecstasies as in St. Theresa of Avila, where it's called an ecstasy by the faithful but is also extremely sexual if you read between the lines. "Being pierced by Christ" etc etc. That scene horrified me like the sexual violence of the Exorcist did. It was just so... wrong.

Great scene!

Caleb's ecstatic 'encounter' with Christ and Thomasin's with the coven was a really good juxtaposition.

Kitsunegari
Aug 5, 2013

Roasted Donut posted:

This movie is ridiculously good and Black Phillip is a loving homeboy.

It's ya boy black Phillip I mean THE DEVIL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol at the dummies in this thread going like "look at the cliches in the witches"

The subtitle of the movie says loving folklore.

This hits every 17th century idea of witches and magic exactly. Even got 17th century curses like the botchling chicken.

Also lol at the people complaining about the zealotry of the family. Welcome to loving 1600s protestants. The family was exiled for heresy by God damned puritans. Also the supernatural was real so.

I get if you just didn't like it but if you bring up that poo poo you're just a dummy. Especially the people saying there weren't enough jump scares or scary parts. Way to miss the loving point.

Anyway I bet the audience reaction wouldvery been better if they left out the Black Sabbath at the end. You really have to know about 1600s witch stereotypes to know what's going on or else it comes off strange.

There's just so many little historical details I'm fawning over but what I did like was Thomasins joining of the coven essentially freeing her from a repressive and misogynistic society.

And Caleb showing signs of luster ND ultimately being seduced and having a religious old school ecstacy before dying.

Do you guys think his ecstasy was fake though? It seemed disingenuous which would throw off an exorcist vibe

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 27, 2016

• Locked thread