Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0BrdMi-oyc

Welcome, Blondie, to the GDT for UFC Fight Night: Cowboy vs. Cowboy, 9 p.m. ET Sunday, Feb. 21, 2016 on Fox Sports 1!

Hear that sound? That's the sound of shutters snapping shut and women snatching their younguns off the dirt streets as the gangs role into town. Seems we’ve got ourselves a regular Mexican standoff on our hands come high noon. The lights are dimmed, the tension’s set, and now all there is to do is see who’s fastest on the draw. Let’s take a look at the men with no names who will be entertaining us for the next few hours, hombre.

Welterweight

Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone

vs.

Alex “Cowboy” Oliveira

Cerrone. The Stranger, The Hunter, The Bounty Killer, Mister Sudden Death, Señor Ninguno, The Man With No Realistic Title Aspirations at Lightweight. After getting smoked by Rafael dos Anjos, Cerrone’s making the move north of the border to Lawler Territory. He swears no allegiance and abides the laws of neither men nor sponsorships contracts. Watch out, because the guns are going to blaze in this fight.

Despite this being Cerrone’s welterweight debut, this is kind of still a fight between two lightweights due to short notice. Oliveira answered the bounty on Cerrone’s head when Cowboy The First’s original dance partner, Tim Means, proved to be very much a dirty bird. Cowboy da Segunda has fought in both divisions in the UFC and has done fairly well for himself, losing his debut but putting away the likes of K.J. Noons and Piotr Hallman. Needless to say, Cerrone is a big step up from that level of competition, but Oliveira is surely aiming to make his second $50,000 claim in a row.

Middleweight

Derek Brunson

vs.

Roan "Jucão" Carneiro

Derek Brunson is a no-good cowardly cur who rudely and illegally wrestlefucked my best friend Chris Leben and KO’d my other best friend Sam Alvey. He also knocked out Ed Herman, though, so he’s not all that bad.

Roan Carneiro is an elderly jiu jitsu grandfather who hopped in Doc Brown’s DeLorean when it visited the Wild West (2008) to visit the present day, strangling Mark Munoz to the point of legal homicide thanks to reffing incompetence. He hasn’t fought since then, but he holds previous UFC losses to Ryo Chonan and Jon Fitch before beating up cans in Tulsa, Oklahoma and then moving up in weight, so you know he’s going to do quite well in the modern middleweight division under increased drug testing scrutiny.

Bantamweight

Cody "No Love" Garbrandt

vs.

Augusto "No Wiki" Mendes

Garbrandt’s KO’d a bunch of dudes, including Marcus Brimage. The only person to survive the distance with him is Enrique “Henry Bure” Briones, the Tijuana scurge who you might recall from legendary shootouts on the streets of TUF: Latin America and a page on the Sherdog Saloon.

As I write my obligatory sentence pertaining to Augusto Mendes, I regret already using the Man With No Name reference multiple times previously in this OP.

Featherweight

Dennis "the Menace" Bermudez

vs.

Tatsuya "Crusher" Kawajiri

Bermudez used to run in the old Mayhem Miller Gang before he was runt off by that mean sumbitch DB Brandao. Bermudez tore up a swath through anyone who stood in his way in the meantime, trying to earn his place at the top of the gang once more. Unfortunately he was no match for Lawman Lamas or the Outlaw Jeremy Stephens and he’s back to where he started. He hopes to turn around his luck one last time, so maybe he’s got an ace up his sleeve.

Meanwhile from across the ocean, Crusher Kawajiri was doing some Sukiyaki Western Django poo poo of his own. He’s been around for a long time and only recently made it into the UFC. The only people he’s beaten whom you’ve heard of in the last five years are Dennis Siver and Drew the Dinosaur Fickett. His lone UFC loss is Clay Guida, though, so he’s up 8 in his last 9 at least? Perhaps he can pull it together in time to remind us of the days where he was beating Crazy Horse and Yves Edwards.

Middleweight

Chris “the Bad” Camozzi

vs.

Joe “the Ugly” Riggs

Lightweight

James "The James Krause" Krause

vs.

Shane "Shaolin" Campbell

James Krause is 3-3 in his UFC run. His wins are all finishes, one of which an extremely gross between-rounds TKO when he hosed up a stupid unimportant person’s ankle real bad. He nearly had his early ticket into the UFC before being upset to get into the house on TUF Live by Justin Lawrence, but he’s fought in just about every other relevant lighter-weight promotion you can think of recently, from WEC to Bellator to Titan FC. A win over Shane Campbell will put the submission ace on his first big-show win streak.

At a glance, Campbell’s career looks a little cleaner than Krause’s. He’s 1-1 in the UFC with a TKO loss to John Makdessi and a win over that one Elias who isn’t the Harlequin cover model with the golden locks. He also had a very long and decorated Muay Thai/kickboxing career prior to his transition to MMA, so we start the main card off with the classic striker-vs-grappler Mexican standoff.

Other poo poo to Watch

FS1 Prelims, 7 p.m. ET
Welterweight Alex Garcia vs. Sean Strickland
Middleweight Daniel Sarafian vs. Oluwale Bamgbose
Middleweight Anthony Smith vs. Leonardo Augusto Guimarães
Welterweight Sammy Bayerri vs. Nathan Coy

Fight Pass Prelims, 5:30 p.m. ET
Women's Bantamweight Marion Reneau vs. Ashlee Evans-Smith
Women's Bantamweight Lauren Murphy vs. Kelly Faszholz
Heavyweight Anthony Hamilton vs. Shamil Abdurakhimov

Official weigh-ins, 4 p.m. ET Saturday, Feb. 20
http://www.ufc.com/media/fight-night-pittsburgh-official-weigh-in-2016

Official MMA Snack Rating: Spaghetti Western

Ingredients
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if needed
1/2 pound ground beef
1 small Vidalia onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 carrot, diced
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 (8-ounce) can tomato puree
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 box dried spaghetti pasta (about 8 ounces)
Red chile pepper flakes, for garnish
Grated pecorino, for garnish
Grated Cheddar cheese, for garnish
Fresh basil, sage and parsley, chopped, for garnish

Directions
Heat a large saute pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Brown the ground beef, using a wooden spoon to break it up, then remove the browned beef from the pan. In the same pan, add the onion, celery, and carrot. Add more olive oil, if needed. Add the ground beef back in the pan and add the broth. Stir to deglaze the pan. Add the tomato puree and let it simmer until reduced by 1/3. Add the cumin and cinnamon, and then the beans. Cook the mixture for 2 minutes.

While the sauce is cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package directions, or until al dente. Drain the pasta and mix with the meat sauce. Top with the grated pecorino, Cheddar cheese, and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, basil, sage, and parsley.

Food Network Kitchens and the OP have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Serena Palumbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I saw Shamrock v Gracie yesterday and just rewatched Kimbo vs. DadaFIVETHOUSAND, and I'm scared I won't feel anything anymore.

Chillanese
Mar 30, 2010
Does Dennis Bermudez really call himself the menace? I always thought he was the fufessional.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Joe Riggs is still fighting, and he's only 33

Both amazing facts I did not know

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

This looks like a pretty uninspiring card, to me.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i didn't even know kawajiri was fighting on this card, and now i'm sad because it's the only fight i care about and he's going to lose

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
This is an aggressively mediocre and irrelevant card.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Lloyd Boner posted:

This is an aggressively mediocre and irrelevant card.

And free.

I appreciate the efforts put into these threads even for this small card.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I'm going to watch this instead of the WWE event tonight, unless something better comes up.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Nevermind there's a pipe organ concert happening at a church nearby, then I'm going to go to Costco.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Keg posted:

Nevermind there's a pipe organ concert happening at a church nearby, then I'm going to go to Costco.

I went to Costco for the first time last week. It was pretty neat

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
I got Cowboy taking the main event

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Have the main-eventers agreed to a nickname wager where the loser can never be called cowboy again because that would actually make this fight a little interesting?

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
The Dagestani has a weird head.

And if this sport has taught me anything, its that the worst looking cards are the best cards...

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Wow two heavyweights moving around, punching, feinting, clinching...not collapsing due to exhaustion...weird

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Either of these guys would have outright murdered Kimbo or Dada. And possibly both at once.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Hamilton is close to Kimbo exhausted.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Nah, Hamilton looks okay compared to Kimbo. By this point in the fight neither of those guys could even move faster than a slow walk.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Anyone else getting 504 timeouts trying to log into FightPass?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

The dagestani bladed.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Fight Pass is just buffering a lot for me which is unusual.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

did like the crack about the fighters being in shape going into the third round...

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Wow Chris Weidman should use this version of I Won't Back Down for his next fight.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

What's going on with this commission they forgot to sign off on these girls wraps in the back.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Fasholz isn't messing around here...

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

This is a fun fight.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Are u not entertained?!

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

this is some football broadcasting poo poo they've never done before.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Brian Stann loving his arrows.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Everytime I start to type 'Fasholz looks like she's slowing down' she jumps back into it and does something.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Fasholz has a ton of heart. Even if she loses this I look forward to her next fight.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

alright, Fasholz, win this thing.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Crowd popping like crazy for this fight.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

One thing -- and probably the only thing -- cool about the Rebook deal is what it must be like for someone like Fasholz to get a truckload of UFC gear with her name on it after taking a short notice fight. The 'holy poo poo I've arrived' moment...

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

that went on about 10 seconds too long.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

What a loving beast of a fight.

meatloafkitten
Mar 2, 2004

To the KISS-copter!
That probably could've been stopped a few seconds earlier. Faszholz looked good until the third. I'm a fan.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
https://twitter.com/ZProphet_MMA/status/701548681766563840

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Murphy interviews well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I would be ok with this being fight of the night.

• Locked thread