Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmp71-ql_38

Worldwide Release Schedule
PS4, Xbox One: February 23rd, 2016
PC: March 1st, 2016

So what is Far Cry?
Far Cry is a hybrid RPG/FPS leaning more toward the FPS side of things. The setting is typically a location that is a "Far Cry" from true civilization. In Primal, the setting is the stone age, 10,000 years BC in Oros just after the end of an ice age. So naturally that means that you will not find guns in this game. Oros in the modern day would translate to the eastern European Carpathian mountains. You take on the role of Takkar, a caveman trying to find his place in the first of human civilizations.

The game's prime focus is on animal taming. Imagine a game based on the low-budget classic The Beastmaster and that's very similar to what you get in Far Cry: Primal. The game will see players taming beasts and using them as companions to completely wreak havoc on enemy tribes. This includes riding on Wooly Mammoths or sending Sabre-tooth Tigers into combat to rip enemies to shreds. Instead of guns, you will be able to craft and use stone-age style weapons, such as spears, bow & arrow, knives, daggers, clubs, etc. Obviously this appears to be somewhat of a step down from previous FC titles that had a large library of firearms available. To negate this Ubisoft has put a much larger focus on the survival and animal taming elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjTNhNrqa-8

However, the weapons crafting looks pretty good...

That is exactly what you think it is.

Pre-Order Bonus
3 Exclusive Woolly Mammoth Missions across the board, all retailers

Deluxe Edition
Deluxe Edition:
PHYSICAL GAME
PHYSICAL MAP
PHYSICAL CD SOUNDTRACK
LEGEND OF THE MAMMOTH: 3 extra missions. Drink from the shaman's cup to play as the largest animal in Oros, the almighty mammoth. Feel your power as you stomp your enemies and defend your herd from other beasts and humans.
A NEW WEAPON, THE BLOOD SHASTI CLUB: a bloodstained club of bone and teeth once wielded by Ull, the vicious leader of the Udam. This weapon is unbreakable and cannot be consumed by flame.
4 ENHANCEMENT PACKS that offers early access to rare resources and unique customization options.
THE SABRETOOTH PACK: early access to animal hides for crafting + change a selection of the sabretooth tigers in Oros to the ferocious Flame Fang Sabretooths.
THE OWL PACK: early access to resources for crafting + decorate your arms with unique Wenja tribal paint + change the appearance of your owl companion, give him the dark feathers of a raging storm cloud.
THE MAMMOTH PACK: early access to an endurance-boosting recipe + change a selection of the mammoths in Oros to the mysterious Ash Back Mammoths.
THE BOMB PACK: early access to 2 extra string bags to increase your odds of survival.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx3EMbFooo4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
I am unironically looking forward to this. Much like with Black Flag, they might actually make FC seem interesting again.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I wanna pre-order it, but I'm kind of wary that this is just another kind of bland checklist-filled open world but with a prehistoric theme instead of a Himalayan one.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
So, Elias Toufexis is in this game, right?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I wanna pre-order it, but I'm kind of wary that this is just another kind of bland checklist-filled open world but with a prehistoric theme instead of a Himalayan one.

I think the FC open-world formula is one of the best around but :shrug:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

If it isnt too much trouble, could the OP be edited with as many "Far Cry" puns as possible? You got one, but that leaves me yearning for more.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
hahaha your spear disappears as soon as it hits an enemy. i guess a spear is just a gun with different art to them?

hl2 is over a decade old for gently caress's sake.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I wasn't interested in this until I saw in the op that one of the weapons is "a bag filled with angry bees" and now, I am interested.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So imagine the farcry world, now imagine that there is no flying machines to get you places.

Map design is about to make you its bitch!

On the plus side, maybe there are no radio towers in this game.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

So imagine the farcry world, now imagine that there is no flying machines to get you places.

Map design is about to make you its bitch!

pterodactyls?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

On the plus side, maybe there are no radio towers in this game.
There isn't.
I was really looking forward to a caveman RPG, but it seems like all you do is send animals on your enemies and occasionally shoot something. Still preordered because i crave being a caveman.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Reason posted:

pterodactyls?
gently caress that noise when you can use a goddamn Sabertooth as your personal taxi. Hell, I think the developers even mentioned that you could tame a Mammoth to use as a mount.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

This game looks like all of the worst parts of FC3 and FC4 that I hated with all of the parts I liked cut out.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

LegoPirateNinja posted:

hahaha your spear disappears as soon as it hits an enemy. i guess a spear is just a gun with different art to them?

It's very difficult to code physical objects

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Prawned posted:

It's very difficult to code physical objects

LegoPirateNinja posted:

No but I'm curious to hear Adam Jensen grunting like a moron.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Back To 99 posted:

Still preordered because i crave being a caveman.

Craveman

But yea I love the FC 'formula' and the previews I've seen look solid but I am a little worried without some of the more absurd parts of the modern games this will be more bland. Still, props to them for trying out a new spin on it. I'll probably have fun throwing bees at cavemen and clubbing their heads in

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I really hope there was no attempt to make any sort of consistent language and actors just grunt whatever like a rare game with real people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Crabtree posted:

I really hope there was no attempt to make any sort of consistent language and actors just grunt whatever like a rare game with real people.

Yea this too, don't try to Lord of the Rings me, game. I wanna hear a bunch of VAs get scripts that just say 'angry grunting' or 'confused grunting' for the entirety.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Crabtree posted:

there's no particular reason they couldn't try to approximate PIE. that wouldn't be exactly right, either, since the hypothetical people in the game would almost certainly have spoken some unknown distinct (and, likely, extinct) strain of it, but it would be far closer than using any currently existing language or grunts or something completely fictitious.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Shut it, cave nerd

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
sorry I meant to say ooga booga, language appeared everywhere spontaneously in 1000 BC

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
This game plays like the first hour of skyrim for 8 hours.

Get mauled by big cats

piss off mammoths

get killed by random ugly looking human models

watch your under leveled spells misfire causing you to die

all your weapons are wood

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

sorry I meant to say ooga booga, language appeared everywhere spontaneously in 1000 BC

We'll see how smart you talk with a mouthful of Angry Bees :argh:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

We'll see how smart you talk with a mouthful of Angry Bees :argh:

bees do poo poo damage, they're just a damage over time thing and can be negated if the enemy jumps in water or is near smoke.....which happens a lot.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm really curious to see how Ubisoft handles the end-game alien poo poo, but otherwise this game has completely been off my radar.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
here are the rules for Far Cry Primal

If the weapon/ability sounds cool it's generally useless(i.e. taming mammoths, bees)

All the end level weapons take too long to make and are not that good as the lesser incarnations, the preferred weapons are the next to last or next next to last version of it. Mostly because they're around the same power level and they require much less materials to make and take almost no rare materials in many instances.

Just use cats or wolves for beast taming don't bother with anything else, generally cats are better. For whatever reason any other type of non-cat creature tends to get stuck in game geometry or has weird pathing issues

It's pretty much like dishonored where 95% of the abilities are useless and you're just going to use one major ability which is anything relating to throwing projectiles. Pets are mostly meat shields.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

watch out for spikes

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I've played every far cry game. This one looks really boring. I saw a guy on twitch trying to kill a fish and it took about 5 missed spears before he finally got it. I want my machine gun back.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

there's no particular reason they couldn't try to approximate PIE. that wouldn't be exactly right, either, since the hypothetical people in the game would almost certainly have spoken some unknown distinct (and, likely, extinct) strain of it, but it would be far closer than using any currently existing language or grunts or something completely fictitious.

This is Ubisoft, a company that loves to go ancient aliens with history. If they're going to gently caress around with history to make one giant Ubisoft adventure game slurry anyway, I'd rather they not try at all and I can just laugh at whatever sounds of animals fighting they blurt out while I just read the subtitles or not care till I can move onto the next Mammoth or Tiger slaughter.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

I've played every far cry game. This one looks really boring. I saw a guy on twitch trying to kill a fish and it took about 5 missed spears before he finally got it. I want my machine gun back.

There's a shaman that will almost certainly drug you up, so you might get some guns there.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Taint Reaper posted:

here are the rules for Far Cry Primal

If the weapon/ability sounds cool it's generally useless(i.e. taming mammoths, bees)

All the end level weapons take too long to make and are not that good as the lesser incarnations, the preferred weapons are the next to last or next next to last version of it. Mostly because they're around the same power level and they require much less materials to make and take almost no rare materials in many instances.

Just use cats or wolves for beast taming don't bother with anything else, generally cats are better. For whatever reason any other type of non-cat creature tends to get stuck in game geometry or has weird pathing issues

It's pretty much like dishonored where 95% of the abilities are useless and you're just going to use one major ability which is anything relating to throwing projectiles. Pets are mostly meat shields.

So, I guess you have it then?

How's the melee combat if there even is any? I was expecting a game without much in the way of ranged weapons save for throwing weapons and bows would have a melee combat system with blocking and counters and all that jazz.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

On twitch the meelee combat just looks like bashing away on a guy standing in front of you, like any other game. I don't know how it feels when you're actually playing it, but it looks janky. There are parts I've seen though where you club a guy and he goes flying off into the bushes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I saw that there's basically a caveman Hurk and that's all I need

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Its actually amazing to watch playthroughs and videos of this game show that your average video game player is as smart as a caveman when it comes to not knowing that fire is bad. They just keep setting themselves on fire.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Deakul posted:

So, I guess you have it then?

How's the melee combat if there even is any? I was expecting a game without much in the way of ranged weapons save for throwing weapons and bows would have a melee combat system with blocking and counters and all that jazz.

The entire game is the first hour of Skyrim for 8 hours.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
No review keys for the PC are being given out, lol.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

We got a new Far Cry game and this thread isn't even a page long. That aint good.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I hope every caveman inexplicably speaks in a crisp british accent.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm really curious to see how Ubisoft handles the end-game alien poo poo, but otherwise this game has completely been off my radar.

Oh, so the game is going to become Yor, the Hunter from the Future, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I have similar suspicions, except now they've added a "crafting" system, which actually just means inventory and resource clicking bullshit instead of anything resembling craft at all. From the screens, it looks pretty bog standard - kill X of this for guts, and click on a bunch of conspicuous resource nodes. I like the idea of a caveman game and even psychic animal control magic, but I feel like I already know exactly how this game will end up feeling like.

Wy the gently caress are such systems even called "crafting." It's loving grocery shopping. You have a list, you go to the place and get the things to take home.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 23, 2016

• Locked thread