Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Heres one. I cant remember exaclty how this worked, and I don't think I was ever told the full story, so some of the details may be wrong.

If you don't pay the mortgage on your house, it goes up for auction. Normally some of the mortgage is paid, so the balance of the mortgage is less than the house is worth. It'll get listed in some local paper along with the reason why.

So here's the con: Conman trawls the papers looking for these kinds of auctions. They go knocking on doors, looking for panicked homeowers, and offer this deal, "Sign the mortgage over to me and I'll pay off the amount owed, and at the same time we'll sign a one year rental agreement. At the end of the year you can buy the property back from me for just what I paid for it, the balance owed. You get to keep your house, and I get one year of rent."

Then, at the and of the year, when the rental contract is up, conman kicks the former owner out. Conman walks away with an entire house for less than what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

JoelJoel posted:

I knew a guy (real dirt bag) that imported crates of cheap garbage from China and walked around selling it. No real scam, just selling crap to unemployed people during the day at bars and strip clubs. He actually pulled a decent profit most of the time as units would come in costing him pennies and he'd flip em for a few bucks.

If he knew better he could build a website that accepts monthly subscriptions, mail subscribers a box of the junk, and call it the Chinese version of the Kawaii Box.