Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The air horn followed by "This is your captain speaking" always got a chuckle out of me and a handful of my friends. We all worked on cruise ships when that scam was running. It would usually be met with some variation of "gently caress you! I'm on my days off!" or "How much are you going to pay me?"<hangs up and laughs>.They were really barking up the wrong tree with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

When asked "where is the pot son?" I started laughing and made some crack about smuggling pot into Canada being like smuggling shoddy leather goods into Mexico. They were not amused at all.

hahahaha. That's a good one. I usually hear it phrased as bringing your own sand to the beach.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Got an email yesterday claiming to be from the Canada Revenue Agency. It said that it was an Interac email money transfer (actual thing you can use to send money to people, and have it deposited easy peasy right into their account).
It looked quite impressive. Well formatted, and no spelling errors. But, there were a couple very obvious red flags:
1) They didn't bother to spoof the email header, so it appeared to be coming from a hotmail.co.uk address
2) They didn't bother to obfuscate the obviously malicious link.
3) No French translation
4) The CRA has access to my bank account on their own, and any money they have for me just shows up in there

Why would they bother making the body of the email so well written, and so well formatted, but still allow it to appear to be coming from a UK email address?
Better luck next time dummies.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Bwahahaha! That's awesome! How did I ever forget about that movie?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

A couple days ago I received an email from "Canada Revenue Agency Online Mail"
Ooh, this should be a good one I thought. Wonder how this made it through gmail's spam filter? I curiously opened it to find the contents as below:

CRA posted:

English version *** La version française suit ***

You registered to receive most mail from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) online instead of on paper in the mail.

Dear *REDACTED*,

There is new mail from the CRA in your My Account which may require your attention.

To view your mail, log in to My Account and select View mail from the sidebar on the left.

If you don't have My Account yet, go to the CRA website and select "Log in / Register" to sign up.

This is an automated email system. Please do not reply to this message.

Version française *** The English version precedes ***

Vous vous êtes inscrit pour recevoir la majorité de votre courrier de l'Agence du revenu du Canada (ARC) en ligne plutôt que par la poste.

Cher/Chère *REDACTED*

Vous avez du nouveau courrier de l'ARC dans « Mon dossier » qui pourrait nécessiter votre attention.

Pour consulter votre courrier, ouvrez une session dans « Mon dossier » et sélectionnez « Voir le courrier » dans le menu latéral gauche.

Si vous n'avez pas encore de compte « Mon dossier », allez sur le site Web de l'ARC et sélectionnez « Ouvrir une session » ou « Inscrivez-vous » pour vous inscrire.

Ce message vous a été transmis par un système de courriel automatisé. Veuillez ne pas y répondre.

Wow! It was legit. Not a single link or url to be found in the message. Just a quick "Yo! You got mail. Log in to your account and read it. You know where to find us."

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Did they write it in French and then run it through a half dozen other languages on Google translate before converting it to English with no proofing?
That's not entirely unlikely.
That's honestly some of the best written communications I've ever seen from the federal government. I've become so numb to it over the years, I actually didn't see any problems with it. :audible shrug:

edit: "MyAccount" is the brand name they put on whatever online system they have set up for you to access your file with the CRA

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Good chuckles around our office lately. We carry voice pagers for after hour / not currently sat at your desk emergency call outs. All of our pagers over the course of a few days have gone off with "Hello. This is the Canada Revenue Agency, blah blah, you owe taxes, scary sounding consequences, etc. Press 2 to blah blah" First off, you dumb fucks robo called voice pagers. We have no ability to press 2, or send any kind of transmission from this device. Secondly, you dumb fucks robocalled voice pagers owned by the Canadian federal government! Pretty sure my employer doesn't owe itself money. But, given how broken our pay system is, this might, somehow, actually be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I recently received a voicemail from a guy trying real hard to get scammed. He was calling me to find out why someone from my number had called him. I nearly never make calls from my phone, and hadn't called him. It was just my number that some scammer had spoofed up. The bad part is this guy left a voicemail at a strange number, volunteering his name+number+about 3 other ways to get ahold of him.