Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Night Blade posted:

This particular series of Hori sticks are pieces of poo poo, but I am glad they introduced me to the Hayabusa stick variant which is what I use in all of my sticks now.

My problem with them, aside from the 15MS input lag (http://www.teyah.net/sticklag/results.html) is that the cases are too lightweight, and have a really cheap feel to them. The kuro buttons take too much effort to press. If that's your thing, great; if not - be prepared to have to buy 8 sanwa buttons. The extra buttons (PS button, share, etc) are located in an awkward spot that you can't see. In the first weeks of you using it you'll need to tilt the stick sideways to make sure you're press the right button. I also don't like the weird lunch tray shape of the stick, though that's just a personal nitpick.

I planned on using an Xbone controller and this converter for events but I have no idea what the delay is. Got any info on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

nickmeister posted:

Is there a way I can make my stick a PS4 stick instead of PS3? I was using it this weekend at a local tournament and got noticeable lag on the PS4. Would rather mod instead of paying $200 if possible.

You could buy a brook superconverter for $40 instead. (Assuming you can find one in-stock anywhere)

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

(I'm in the UK and I've had some lag free matches with US people which impressed me)

It was probably laggy for the US dude due to the incompetent way Capcom implemented the netcode syncing. I played Booyah before and for me it was OK but for him it was very laggy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

The Timely Howard posted:

no no, i meant all of claw's fierce buttons, as well

you can't play the max range hp game either. it's a free mp x birdie headbutt thing on reaction because of how slow the move is - he can just punch the claw.

have you tried blocking?

It's minus 1 on block, and has a 7 frame start up. If you find a birdie that likes to spam st. mp, you can just do a standing fierce (claw on only) and it should eat it. No crush counter, though. If you don't think you have the range, a stand mk will beat it by one frame on block. Both options are very safe if Birdie blocks them. Whiffing the stand hp could lead to a bad time, so be careful.

spend some time in the lab and figure things out.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Arzachel posted:

Is there any scenario where teching is a better idea than preemptive jabs?

I guess you can delay the tech long enough to block a frame trap.

-when you're waking up
-after blocking a jumpin
-when the tech is a reaction (i.e. You can tech after the opponent has thrown you)
-as an option select against wakeup throw or other situations where a late tech OS is useful

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

why do I keep on trying survivor hard when I know I will end up just paying for these colors

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

hiddenriverninja posted:

why do I keep on trying survivor hard when I know I will end up just paying for these colors

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

hiddenriverninja posted:

I always loose around match 28/29/30 and waste so much time and I'm getting kinda pissed off. The first 25 matches are so easy you can do it in your sleep, then the last 5 are almost like luck. It's so tedious.

I just want the march update to hit so I can throw some money at these colors instead of having to do this poo poo.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

Magus42 posted:

You could buy a brook superconverter for $40 instead. (Assuming you can find one in-stock anywhere)

I've been using one of these all weekend, and can recommend (certainly over the horrible PS3 legacy support).

Word of caution: You will likely have a window of downtime after each PS4 firmware update until the Brooks guys provide a matching update. They have been pretty quick on those updates so far, but none the less.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

But if you buy the colours with fight money you'll have to pay for the characters

The trap is working

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I wish I'd known that Hori silent stick was so awful before I ordered it last week. It'll probably be needs suiting anyway.

Especially since the fightstick in my favorite cabinet was some kind of ersatz pit fighter conversion or something.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

flakeloaf posted:

I wish I'd known that Hori silent stick was so awful before I ordered it last week. It'll probably be needs suiting anyway.

FWIW, I'm happy with my RAP4 Hayabusa. I also tried a Kai over the weekend and didn't mind it at all. I actually prefer the stick to the JLF, but I'm on the fence about the buttons. Honestly, they're fine, but they're just not Sanwas.

If you're worried about the input lag, I guess that's a reasonable concern, but I think there are a lot of people on SRK that contest those results. I can't speak to the validity of it though.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Oh shiiiit, I was all pumped to go to a big tourney today but I just realized my stick is PS3. Tourney is PS4. Is that not going to work, or will it be difficult to use?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

flakeloaf posted:

Especially since the fightstick in my favorite cabinet was some kind of ersatz pit fighter conversion or something.

Most everyone likes the Hayabusa lever, you can swap out the buttons with sanwa or seimitsu or whatever if you don't like them. It won't be silent anymore but just swapping out buttons isn't that expensive.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

androo posted:

Oh shiiiit, I was all pumped to go to a big tourney today but I just realized my stick is PS3. Tourney is PS4. Is that not going to work, or will it be difficult to use?

most tourneys are banning legacy sticks

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

^ At the sponsors' behest?

Mainly it's a concern about the input lag because that's infuriating, but if the solution is to just plug the thing in I'll totally do that because I'm lazy.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

don't really see the issue here, SFV having 7k players means that's 6.5k players I have to filter through who are incredibly bad because they're new to the game to find the players that are actually fun to play against.

unless you're actively teaching them by kicking their rear end like something out of a kung fu movie i dunno how anyone can have fun rolling a train on someone that's completely helpless against them

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Who all is going to CEO? It'd be cool to have a goon meet.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

flakeloaf posted:

^ At the sponsors' behest?

Mainly it's a concern about the input lag because that's infuriating, but if the solution is to just plug the thing in I'll totally do that because I'm lazy.

not sure, but the implementation is not as great as it could be. You need an extra ps4 pad to authenticate, some say it's laggy. Personally, I feel it does drop inputs sometimes, even in menus.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

darealkooky posted:

don't really see the issue here, SFV having 7k players means that's 6.5k players I have to filter through who are incredibly bad because they're new to the game to find the players that are actually fun to play against.

Darn those new players playing a game that has been out for a week

cams
Mar 28, 2003

even if legacy controllers functioned perfectly, they should still be banned for the dual shock requirement and the fact that you gotta go digging into menus to sync them. tournaments need to run smooth.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
ban capcom for their poo poo implementation of the driver

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i started having earnest fun once i started scooping with chun's air throw because i got to two back to back ch/throw mixups and i love that poo poo, plz buff the throws capcom

use it against raw dhalsim tps, it's some good game feel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V22MYc0BZLg

It's really hard to set up the whole chain in SFVs training mode, so i had to separate the meaty proof and the actual frame trap. Works on any part of the screen. 4hp is used into of the +3 5mp because 5mp pushes back more for some reason, making it harder to walk in for a throw, but Chun's jab will beat trade with itself if you don't' use 5mp on her quick rise for some goofy reason.

Instead of the meaty you can go for a throw, and a brief step forward will put you into throw range afterwards. If 4hp CCs confirm into legs, if they try to jump you have a few options on normal rise. If you were charging you can ex kikoken, 2lp, lk sbk, or if you hit meaty enough you can combo directly into 2mk mk sbk. Otherwise just confirm into legs.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I'm having some difficulty with R.Mika, specifically some of her options when she gets in. I'm having difficulty reacting in time when I block or get hit by a cr.lp, and then eat a command throw right after.

Any suggestions?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Naw that's probably a Sony issue, their third party controller situation is weird. Pausing a tournament so some guy who'll finish eleventeenth can gently caress around with his mangy bespoke poverty stick is a good idea.

At least the PS4 has ION drum support out of the box :(

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Quote isn't edit

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Chun Li's "Sorry!" title is the best and perfect for me

cams
Mar 28, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

Chun Li's "Sorry!" title is the best and perfect for me
i do like getting apologies from people who decide to use good characters, yes. everyone who uses a better character than laura owes me an apology personally.

i'll be waiting, entire sfv playerbase

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

flakeloaf posted:

Pausing a tournament so some guy who'll finish eleventeenth can gently caress around with his mangy bespoke poverty stick is a good idea.

That's my concern; I'd feel like an rear end fiddling with settings for 5 minutes just to get perfect'd twice in a row (the likely scenario).

But there's also a huge amount of worry in the FB event page about how DS4 controllers need to be manually desync'd after every fight and failure to do so is punished with a loss. So it doesn't sound like PS3 sticks are the only problem.

Asking on the event page, we'll see what they say.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

cams posted:

even if legacy controllers functioned perfectly, they should still be banned for the dual shock requirement and the fact that you gotta go digging into menus to sync them. tournaments need to run smooth.

Sat right now at an event irl having a good laugh at the organisers trying to explain how legacy sticks work every few minutes.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Flinger posted:

Darn those new players playing a game that has been out for a week

I don't mind new players (although I don't think it's really fair to imply that this game has only been out for a week when on a basic level it plays like every other SF game and it's had multiple betas)

I do mind having to beat up a bunch of people (potentially discouraging them from ever getting good at the game) to find someone that's actually on my level

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

darealkooky posted:

I don't mind new players (although I don't think it's really fair to imply that this game has only been out for a week when on a basic level it plays like every other SF game and it's had multiple betas)

I do mind having to beat up a bunch of people (potentially discouraging them from ever getting good at the game) to find someone that's actually on my level

You have alternatives to ranked already. Get on Discord.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

*combat rolls into thread, pulls pin out of grenade with teeth and drops it, combat rolls out of thread*

https://twitter.com/ultradavid/status/701853092753453056

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh god

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

*combat rolls into thread, pulls pin out of grenade with teeth and drops it, combat rolls out of thread*

https://twitter.com/ultradavid/status/701853092753453056

I understand now. SFV is just copying the concept of "pokes" and "jabs" created by Guilty Gear.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I saw the troubles with legacy sticks on a tournament stream but what's the deal with regular DS4s people are talking about? I'm thinking of trying to go to tournaments (to be free to people) but it's likely I'll only have a DS4 to play with for a while.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, people are falling over themselves to talk poo poo about the proverbial "Street Fighter 4" player in this new world of Street Fighter V, to the point they're lying to themselves about how the game works. It's amazing.

(that ain't about Novril's video, which is just...I could tell you "most buttons in SF have the same applications for the same characters. In fact I've said that multiple times on the last thread.)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Hydrocodone posted:

I saw the troubles with legacy sticks on a tournament stream but what's the deal with regular DS4s people are talking about? I'm thinking of trying to go to tournaments (to be free to people) but it's likely I'll only have a DS4 to play with for a while.

Evo bans DS4s (and all other wireless controllers that sync to the console) because there have been lots of problems in the past with people not desyncing their controller and then random home button hits interrupt matches later on.

Not sure if any other tournaments ban them too.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Street Fighter 5 broke everyones brains. It defies every sensibility and is truly avant garde.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
evo is tentatively allowing ds4 this year