Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
also op please talk to someone who isnt loving retarded which is what gbs is, also stupid as poo poo, and smells bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Enfield posted:

also op please talk to someone who isnt loving retarded which is what gbs is, also stupid as poo poo, and smells bad

What? Yeah I agree

embykins
Jul 4, 2009
when i decided to euthanize my cat of 14 years, i had immediate regret that i should have waited longer and that i had no place in making a decision in ending another life even if it was only to end suffering. just be prepared that you're going to feel like poo poo no matter what decision you come to.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
What does the thread title mean OP?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

embykins posted:

when i decided to euthanize my cat of 14 years, i had immediate regret that i should have waited longer and that i had no place in making a decision in ending another life even if it was only to end suffering. just be prepared that you're going to feel like poo poo no matter what decision you come to.

A wife is not a cat ffs

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

She was out of her coma and into myclonic seizures (when they tested ceasing the anesthetic) and an otherwise vegetative state within a couple hours.

I had no idea how much I was supposed to care about "bilaterally dilated pupils" until the doc looked up and sorta apologized "this is . . . significant brain damage. Significant."

I absently tried to argue him into taking it back somehow.

I know loss, grief and change are pretty shameful things, but clearly poo poo happens so gently caress common sense I guess

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

les fleurs du mall posted:

What does the thread title mean OP?

Hey beautiful, I noticed that you're ischemic

I couldn't think of a way to make it work or funny so I just left it and typed other stuff instead

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
I'm so sorry to read this, guy.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Salty posted:

I'm so sorry to read this, guy.

Yeah that poo poo is p long and boring.

DenizenKane
Nov 6, 2013

Please. Go on.
Massive brain damage is no good op. If your wife didn't want to be kept on life support, then I would really consider letting her go. That said, whether or not you make that call, don't put up with people second guessing you.

Good luck.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i came in here to shitpost but im not gonna now

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Oh man, op. So sorry you have to go through this.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Get lawyer and sue, op. Document everything. Minor surgery should not result in brain death.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
So what was the actual surgery that has lead to catastrophic blood loss? How long was she in the post-op ward before discharge?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe she just got tired of listening to nickelback.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
This is sad

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's no emotional content in the story.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Lord Binky posted:

Realize that falling in love with someone is just the results of a series of generic events that can occur between you and basically anyone who meets your standards of attractiveness. It's just an emotional manifestation of a handfull of chemicals bouncing back and forth. It's not the holy grail of living, it's not your reason to exist and it's definitely not something reserved for "that one person." Accept that you are just an animal with a big brain that allows him to fret over what only amounts to a game of hormone pool. What you're feeling is not your soul dying a gurgling, ugly death, but withdrawal. All the happy chemicals that saturated your body when you were with him are kicking out cold turkey, and your body is screaming bloody murder, where are my loving endorphins? It's just chocolate. Find a new bar.

Hunh. Well look at that.

A fat robot.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yudo posted:

Get lawyer and sue, op. Document everything. Minor surgery should not result in brain death.

idk anything involving surgery can make a blood clot or have stitches tear open or all sorts of poo poo, and it's all in the disclaimer you sign at the beginning. i'm not saying there wasn't malpractice involved but no surgery is really "minor" surgery, it's just a difference of like "one in a thousand chance of complications" vs "one in 100 chance"

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Hey there op...I'm so sorry you're in experiencing this. :glomp:

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

idk anything involving surgery can make a blood clot or have stitches tear open or all sorts of poo poo, and it's all in the disclaimer you sign at the beginning. i'm not saying there wasn't malpractice involved but no surgery is really "minor" surgery, it's just a difference of like "one in a thousand chance of complications" vs "one in 100 chance"

Generally when a tonsillectomy or a polyp removal results in blood loss leading to brain death someone done hosed up and is going to get sued. There is no excuses sorry you are used to garbaged medicine.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I'm sorry op, that sucks awfully. Please talk to someone in real life, not to retarded GBS

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

sorry your wife is dead op, because it sounds like even if she does come out of this coma or whatever that the woman you married is dead which is lovely and im sorry

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Yudo posted:

Generally when a tonsillectomy or a polyp removal results in blood loss leading to brain death someone done hosed up and is going to get sued. There is no excuses sorry you are used to garbaged medicine.

they pay for malpractice insurance. its part of the doctor biz

Yudo
May 15, 2003

RaceBannon posted:

they pay for malpractice insurance. its part of the doctor biz

duh yup. part of the patient biz is protecting yourself and making them pay when they kill a member of your family because they didn't want to be late for their tee time.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Enfield posted:

im sorry

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
The worst part, and I'm going to go wrestle sleep after this, is when you realize you have always been wrong about what brain damage really is.

See, it's not "oh they are dumber now and I guess I'll wipe their rear end"

it's more like "oh, this bit makes them paranoid, and this over here makes recognizing voices and words not work. Over here they go blind, and this part is basically ms. This last bit just makes them too functionally apathetic to even move."

So basically sometimes they are cute and dumb and other times they are trapped in a confusing and unimaginable hell with no hope of escape. Also maybe if you really give it your all you can get them to a level of function that removes any plug you'd be able to pull anyway, but just that level.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

this is not intended to be mean, particularly if this is a irl thing. if you wife had that sort of hypoxia you described impairment of executive functioning alone would be a miracle. we can all hope for good things, of course, but what you describe sounds very bad. I know it's worth nothing but I am really sorry and you need to do what is necessary to protect your kid and yourself if your wife requires long term care.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I spent 5 full days with four hours of broken sleep each night reading case studies. I figured there had to be one instance that could trigger hope for a return to normalcy.

There's nothing mean about what you're saying. No offense taken.

No joke, I've been drafting my will and you bet your rear end there's a provision for refusing out of hospital cardiac arrest resuscitation.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck that forever

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
sorry tim :I

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Yudo posted:

A tonsillectomy sure would be at risk of a serious bleed like that, but the OP implied that it was something that was likely to leave a visible scar, so that suggests abdominal surgery where any serious bleed risk is likely. It beggars belief that any kind of major abdo surgery would be done as day therapy; or are we just guessing that?

OP - help us to make sense of your tragedy.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

I spent 5 full days with four hours of broken sleep each night reading case studies. I figured there had to be one instance that could trigger hope for a return to normalcy.

There's nothing mean about what you're saying. No offense taken.

No joke, I've been drafting my will and you bet your rear end there's a provision for refusing out of hospital cardiac arrest resuscitation.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck that forever

I have a DNR, though leaving an estate to a cat is legally tricky (no woman will sex me so kids=0).

What you are going through is very hard and there is no question that you will be presented with difficult decisions. I really hope that your wife escapes the deleterious effects of O2 starvation, but 4-6 minutes is extreme. Please, please write down details of what has happened and what you were told because it is very likely that you will need to sue: you are tired and liable to forget or otherwise be pliant to those with their own interests in mind.

I know hope is important, but no matter what you read it is in the hands of fate. I have seen people paralyzed by ostensibly harmless impacts and survive dramatic trauma: weird poo poo happens that we lack the science to predict. You need to focus on sleeping so you can take care of your child and make good decisions in the interests of your wife and yourself.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

So basically sometimes they are cute and dumb and other times they are trapped in a confusing and unimaginable hell with no hope of escape. Also maybe if you really give it your all you can get them to a level of function that removes any plug you'd be able to pull anyway, but just that level.

It really is a horrible situation to have to deal with, and I'm sure nobody envies your grief.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
:sigh:

i came in here to make jokes but i dont even have the heart to now. im sorry op, stay up as best you can

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

What was the boring thing the original operation was for?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

sorry to hear about this, it's sad as gently caress

don't post this in GBS because there are about 9 unfunny apes who've somehow figured out how to work a keyboard for every halfway decent poster

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Posting a post of support for a fellow Goon. I honestly and truly wish and hope the best for you

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Sorry, I can't go into details around the illness or surgery.

I know how irritating that is, but nope. Maybe someday when the fan is cleaned off?

Also, this was an ok place to toss it up I guess. There's only so many offers of help and apologies you can deal with before you are kinda sick of pity.

Btw, I have learned that "if there's anything I can do" and "let me know how I can help" are inadvertently very lazy and terrible offers.

I feel bad about using them in the past now. As a tip, if you know someone has a lot going on, don't burden them with the further burden of figuring out your role in their grief.

Just think of a specific thing that would help and offer that instead. "Hey, tell you what, mary will watch your lil one on Friday and I'm taking you out for a drink so you can unload" for example or "I gotta drop my dry cleaning off this week, let me do you a solid and take yours with me" or whatever.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Brain damage sucks but it's not fatal. You'll be vacuuming up her drool and changing her diapers in no time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I knew a guy who had to pull the plug on his wife at a young age. It was the right call and he didn't have hidden regrets or anything later.

• Locked thread