Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
thanks to things like family and the rest of life, i can only really vent publicly on message boards no one reads just kidding mods. it's like screaming into a cavern i guess, but for nerds? i promised a lot of family i'd keep things private, but also i am always on the verge of exploding. i hope this works as an in-between and also that it doesn't bite me in the rear end somehow.

my wife of a number of years recently had a surgery to fix a boring thing and was sent home. she had a complication the day after release, passed out from blood loss on the way to the hospital (5ish min from the er, someone else drove her) and then underwent 12 min of cpr and 2 units of blood. when the hospital called me they said "we're trying to stabilize her heart" instead of "we are trying to get a heartbeat" even though she was completely asystole. it was super. i got a ride (she had the car) and did crazy husband math on the way from work.

"ok so it was six minutes until she passed out, she's healthy as heck and she totally had another 2 minutes at least before she ran out of blood. well ok great then they definitely got a bunch of oxygenated new blood into her brain using cpr before it was too late, so it's definitely all good!"

so that is an imaginary idea and also what they do not tell you is that cpr is the worst thing to be on the winning side of.

also she had to undergo immediate surgery, so no hypothermia, and no whatever chemicals prevent the doubly awful damage that starts when a system is back up and running. here is a thing that is suddenly acutely meaningful to me, as an example http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074242/

i made it to the trauma room to see her bucking over the vent and covered in blood, had to sign papers, and took her hand and whispered it would all be fine and that i loved her. pretty sure she squeezed a little back, but y'know, it's kinda inconsequential overall. now she's in her early 30's, and as of the hour after surgery, in a vegetative state. i guess it's been for roughly the last week and a half. no real eye movement, just posturing and seizing in response to almost anything. of course also she needs another surgery to repair the thing she had repaired twice now in two weeks on top of it.

i get sad and angry and laugh like a weirdo because i can't find things like the coasters to put my coffee on. also i can't sleep in our bed. trying to reset passwords and log into all her credit cards etc. to pay bills is strangely traumatic too. we have a lil girl who starts kindergarten this coming year, and she doesn't seem to care about it. i mean i'm glad, but also holy cow when she says she misses her mom and cries and then i start consoling her and she asks if she can have candy and doesn't actually care. definitely some family therapy in the near future i guess?

i don't think there's much chance i'll see my wife as my wife again, the mri results look grim, and of course we didn't have wills so i can't just follow through with wishes i knew she had (tell a family "no really she didn't want saving if it was this bad!" and see if you strain a relationship your daughter depends on or not. also the burning "what if i'm wrong though and she's just about to pop right up" that hits every time you try to give in to mourning so you can get it together eventually).

holy cow was she wrong when she was like "if anything ever happened to me, you'll be fine!" i also feel weird using past tense talking about her but there's pretty awful terms in her mri report like "diffusion restriction in the splenium of the corpus collosum and the centrum semiovale."

it's hard to be hopeful and it makes me feel pretty terrible that i'm not at all hopeful.

so, i mean, i dunno how to end this post really.

i guess that's the story of my worst valentine's day ever!

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cucked.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
yeah.

i literally told her not to worry about a thing that ended up starting this mess.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
Well that was depressing

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm really sorry, that is really terrible, nickelback fan. You should post this is en instead probably if you want actual real responses

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

That's what you get for being a fan of nickelback

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
was it a heart attack-ack-ack-ack-ack?

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Thanks for the funny story OP I lolled lots

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I'm sorry to hear that OP, I'm here if you ever need to talk

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

Harald posted:

was it a heart attack-ack-ack-ack-ack?

you oughta know by now. <:mad:>

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
Realize that falling in love with someone is just the results of a series of generic events that can occur between you and basically anyone who meets your standards of attractiveness. It's just an emotional manifestation of a handfull of chemicals bouncing back and forth. It's not the holy grail of living, it's not your reason to exist and it's definitely not something reserved for "that one person." Accept that you are just an animal with a big brain that allows him to fret over what only amounts to a game of hormone pool. What you're feeling is not your soul dying a gurgling, ugly death, but withdrawal. All the happy chemicals that saturated your body when you were with him are kicking out cold turkey, and your body is screaming bloody murder, where are my loving endorphins? It's just chocolate. Find a new bar.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
At least your daughter seems to be too young to understand what is happening. Thats one less thing to worry about.
Best of luck to you and your family bro.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
im sorry

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

What happened?

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
i mean i dunno what i wanted outside of just to let it out

it's a lot, and no joke she just got a new job not that long ago and we were stoked about moving to the nice part of town, lease is up in a month and the new place is gonna make things tight.

the night before it happened she was all kinda worried about the scar from the initial surgery and not feeling pretty (it was literally no big deal). i told her it was fine and i was sorry i wrote off the thing that caused it all. she forgave me and took my hand and cried a little and said that she'd never loved me as much as she did when i sat in the hospital with her every night and that she didn't care about anything else.

literally wish i could fakepost this good and that i wasn't trying to find a way to feel something that didn't make me cry or pace a lot

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
just go write wills ok, even if you're in your 20's or whatever

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

just go write wills ok, even if you're in your 20's or whatever

Haha jokes on you, I have nothing and nobody loves me or wants my garbage anyways

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

literally wish i could fakepost this good and that i wasn't trying to find a way to feel something that didn't make me cry or pace a lot

Heroin ... that's what heroin is for

And you're thinking "hey, I don't want to be a smackhead!" but I'm tellin ya pal - when the pain in your heart gets that bad who cares about a scag habit right?
Heroin stops you feeling anything hence robbing old ladies is no biggie to an addict
Try chasing the dragon at first, and if that doesn't quite hit the spot just jack that poo poo up man

hth

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

Lord Binky posted:

Haha jokes on you, I have nothing and nobody loves me or wants my garbage anyways

literally no one in the whole world wants to make the decision as to when you have suffered enough vs having tried hard enough to keep you alive

also no one wants to be your voice for letting you go because that's a seriously awful and lovely place to be in both conversation and internally

just go pay like a hundred bucks and don't do that to people ok

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake
Nothing anyone can say will make this better, but feel free to continually rant in this topic (or E/N) because you need some sort of outlet.

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
:yikes:

Aug 4, 2010

what can you say

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Put her hand on your willy and see if you catch her smiling

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
Nah but seriously stay cool dude don't do anything rash and be there for ur daughter cause now you got twice as much parenting to do!

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
OK the first thing you need to do is stop blaming yourself, your not psychic, you were only trying to make her feel better like a good husband would do. Second, I know that it's late but, if your daughter is still up, take her somewhere like the movies or to a place to eat so you can take a break from grieving for a few hours. Third, I'm sure you have people to help you through this. Let them help you as much as they are willing to. You can't do this alone and instead of taking to goons you should be talking to them. Also don't be afraid to tell them everything your feeling no matter how depressing or negative. You need to get those feelings off your chest. Forth, take this a day at a time. Don't try and rack your brain about the future right now. Your only going to stress yourself out. Lastly, try and be hopeful. It's the hardest thing to do but just do the best you can. That's all we really can do in this world.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

Jeff Sichoe posted:

Put her hand on your willy and see if you catch her smiling

you are literally more tragic than my current situation

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
i'm sorry dude, to be honest i'm just a little jealous

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hey I hope this is at least somewhat comforting but your daughter is probably not broken, kids at that age literally cannot process death or loss right and she'll come to terms with it eventually. Therapy's probably a good idea but yeah she's not like a sociopath or something.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Enfield posted:

im sorry

drat op. This is brutal. I'm sorry too.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jeff Sichoe posted:

i'm sorry dude, to be honest i'm just a little jealous

yea it'd be fun to be able to kill someone you love legally i totally agree not

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dude gently caress these people who said they wanted you to keep this private. What the hell?

If they don't wanna process it then you should at least seek outside therapy. Just to have a sounding board

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I hope your wife comes out her coma.

Eggsucker
May 27, 2005
we can play x box some time if you want

wiley e. sheep
Feb 15, 2016

by zen death robot
so was this 'complication' due to an error by the surgeon? if so youre at least looking at a pay out

e; also tf with that thread title

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
pull the plug imo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Who asks the husband to keep something like this private??

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

realbez posted:

Who asks the husband to keep something like this private??

Common sense.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

could you elaborate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

Enfield posted:

could you elaborate

Yes.

• Locked thread