Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
##vote
1 A; B; F; C

Ralith fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
that art :staredog:

##vote
2. C; E
3. D; C; A
5. E; A
6. B

Make a note to install some sort of communications system to prevent this from happening again

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Since LordVonEarlDuke has confirmed he's taking advantage of the vote scraper, let's try to reduce the amount of manual clean-up he has to do:

This vote is not scrapeable. Make the entire thing bold and get rid of the empty lines between questions.

This vote is also not scrapeable. Quoted votes are ignored, because there are lots of reasons to quote something. Copy the actual vote into the body of your post if you want to make it scrapeable.

dog kisser posted:

Plan Roland
This is not a scrapeable vote. The "##vote" tag and explicit question numberings are required so that if people have angry bold discussions about things nobody gets caught by a false positive. Just copy-paste Roland's vote, or if you're on a phone and this is awkward, you can hit 'quote' on his post and then delete everything that isn't the vote.

e: adding to my vote
##vote
1. Alyssa; Yingtie

Ralith fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 25, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
##vote
1. Plan Ralith; D; I

My plan is as follows: I, but a cautious stealth mission at night (or right now if it's still early enough), doing our best to do it somewhere it won't be noticed. Sabotage as much of their assets as we can, and then, if it goes well, perform a frontal assault. If we aren't able to accomplish much without undue risk, we can fall back on another plan, because this won't take more than a day.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
:allears:

I'd like to hear more about the crimson tide and the flood

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Difficult choices. I'm thinking:
  • Blowing a hole in the wall from the inside is appealing because it's quick and only noisy after it's too late to do anything about, assuming the men can drop down just inside the wall by tying a rope off there or something. By the time they can bring forces to bear we'll be inside, and hopefully able to choose our terrain to enable one-on-one fights with the defenders that we can dominate with Rumbler's raw power and by caring less about collateral damage than our opponents.
  • Unless Anastasi is effectively incapable of error (which is possible), capturing a mage or group thereof is riskier than the bomb plan, and will presumably at best shut down the magic on the walls. This still only accomplishes getting us inside, and since we're gigantic we can't expect to stay unnoticed for long. This places is in the same situation as the prior plan but probably with more risk.
  • Holding the king hostage is very high risk, and even if our men pull it off, the king might not cooperate now that we've murdered his son, in which case we find ourselves in the frontal assault situation. Capturing the city intact is neat, but I'm not sure about our ability to hold it against its own populace, let alone other attackers, without political will or far more manpower. Besides, we might be able to repair any damage we do to the walls otherwise.

So, questions:
  • Will Zaphidor and his team be able to drop down just inside the walls? How long will it take them to blow an entrance once they do?
  • How quickly can our crew combat-board?
  • How confident is Anastasi in his ability to capture a mage without raising the alarm?
  • How difficult is it to repair this type of defensive wall?
  • What are Pacitar's thoughts? No sense not hearing everyone out.

And in the mean time, tentative
##vote
1 A
2 C

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
That's a pretty good idea; adding my support.

##vote
1. A; Plan Wentley

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Ooh, and while we're laying siege we can occasionally squirrel raiding groups in to despoil what supplies they have and make them paranoid! I like this idea.

...I wonder how much of their defensive military is genuinely "the elite"? Might be able to make some friends there.

e: Instead of cutting off their food shipments at first, we could let some in with a subtle poison, perhaps arranged by our creepier mage friend!

Ralith fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 26, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Ehh, gently caress it.

##vote
1. C;D;B;E;F;A

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Ask our assembled advisers about the viability of Tomn's plan, if that request wasn't clear. To amend Tomn's plan, I'd also insist on getting Anastasi’s group involved to screw up lines of communication while the chaos starts, and maybe even get some bombs planted around the city in advance, with their detonation being the signal.

There's got to be some substantial amount of underclass inside the walls, to ship supplies around and do the cooking and cleaning and maintenance and so forth. If things go according to plan, they should send a significant proportion of their defenders to go suppress the riots, then lose the ability to effectively redirect many of them thanks to Anastasi, and then we burst through the gate and start capitalizing on the disorganized mess.

Assuming the plan is realistic, I'm happy to amend my vote to
##vote
1. Plan Tomn; C; D; B; E; F; A

Ralith fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 27, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
##vote
1. B; A; C

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Tomn posted:

Not only does it make us blameless for the prince's death (and make us appear all chummy), it also sows the seeds of suspicion in the Emperor's mind. Who, of all his nobles, might have sent out assassins? Hmmmmmm. Increasing the level of paranoia and mistrust within the court would be just gravy come the attack, wouldn't it?
On the other hand, it might make him more likely to anticipate/prepared for the peasant uprising

e: Initial
##vote
1. A; D; C; B
2. A; B; C
3. C; B; A; D

Ralith fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 28, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
##vote
4. B+C; A+B; B, A, C

We want this guy to be overcome with emotion about the death and get careless/distracted.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 1, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
What is the effect of witchfire on armor versus on infantry?
Do the cannons have rate of fire inversely proportional to bore?
If we allocate some witchfire to a shoulder cannon and they use it up, they'll need to refit no matter what before they can be useful again, right?
Are the hand winch shots likely to be strong enough to function as triplines against enemy armor?
Are there any hard-learned lessons about proper city-fighting configurations we or our senior crew can recall?

Initial proposal:
##vote
1. B; C
2. B; C
- Canisters in the arms will give us maximum ability to defend against close-range infantry and capitalize on local damage in knife fights with other armor. Raw power is less important in both of those cases, and versus infantry, a higher rate of fire might even be more useful. Triplines might be effective here too but I have no way to judge if the tensile strength will be high enough for our needs in this battle.
3. C; A - Triplines sound immensely useful for battlefield control. Could help us channel enemy armor into Jane's field of fire.
4. A - Because we need some conventional direct fire capacity. Keep this side pointed towards the enemy when in direct combat while Jane's reloading.
5. A - When we need something dead, this will get the job done.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 1, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Question for Feng/ the Cannon Crew:
Okay this may sound pretty crazy but hear me out. What if we load both hand-cannons with winch-shot, deliberately miss anything to anchor into and then spin around like crazy?
Think we have enough momentum to turn into a blender? Or would it just break?
I feel like this might be highly effective against infantry in wide open areas (imagine a heavy steel cable whipping across a battlefield at chest height) but annoying at best to armor and difficult to use at all when surrounded by buildings. But it gives me another idea:

Would a hand or shoulder cannon winch be strong enough for us to fire it into the ground/a sturdy building when moving at speed to use as a pivot for sudden hard turns? Imagine running away from enemy armor, then doing a sudden 180 without losing much speed and driving a fist straight into them (followed by canister discharge)

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Hand winch it is, then. I'm seriously tempted to put witchfire on a shoulder just in case, though, since this seems likely to be a hard fight.

e: yeah let's go for it. We're vastly outnumbered and our best weapon is unmaneuverable. If we take the city we can buy plenty more shells. Let's not be the RPG protagonist who dies with a pack full of unused consumables.

##vote
1. C; B
3. A
4. D; A

Ralith fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 1, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
The crimson tide background material was so good :neckbeard: please never stop posting
and that's saying nothing of the atmospheric buildup here

##vote
1. B; C; A

We want to catch them with their pants down to the greatest degree possible. That's the whole point of this plan. If we act while they're all together and alert we may well have given them an advantage in the timing of the attack. Even if they're watching the peasants, their forces will quickly become scattered if a coordinated uprising begins, and even less able to prepare a coordinated response when we arrive.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 3, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Mr. Nemo posted:

Adding "use witchfire as the opening shot". If we are going to attack while they are together we should make quick work of them.
This is a great idea if we catch them all grouped up, but by the time we're in the city the peasant uprising will have begun and they'll be alerted and probably deploying. Keep it in mind but don't assume it'll be feasible.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Apply FORTUNE'S FAVOR to shell the assembled nobility and/or military with indirect fire witchfire shells using our main cannon from outside the city immediately before the attack begins

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
The upside is huge, and downside manageable, especially if we've been smart enough to tell our people to hang back at first. Yeah, I think I'm still down.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
##vote
1 A

Hitting the emperor with a shell this big seems like a waste and his immediate successor would probably just take over unless we got super lucky, and hitting the royals but not the emperor probably wouldn't have any impact on the battle. Military it is.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 4, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
##vote
1. Plan Waci
since it's basically the same plus some cleverness

##vote
1. Plan Ralith

Hand, L: Hold fire
Hand, R: right: Fire on infantry at will
Shoulder, R: Fire tripline to block flanking automaton
Shoulder, L: Engage cannon automaton
Jane: Engage cannon automaton

Planning to use the left canister to point-blank the swordsman when he closes. Other priorities are set to immediately reduce ground losses and avoid taking fire. I'm not certain how we should be maneuvering, but I'm leaning towards holding position here. With the wall at our back we should have less flanking to worry about, and we can leverage Jane best from extreme range.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 4, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
This is so much fun.

e: plan revised from initial posting thanks to input from Tran:

##vote
1. Plan Ralith

MAGES
Pacitar: FORCESWITCH PORTAL incoming fire from heavy cannon automaton at left; redirect at same automaton. If this is unlikely to work, reserve power in anticipation of MENDING.
Strix: HELLBAT SWARM to flanker at right

MISC
Hand, L: Grapple swordsman in preparation for canister fire. Try to get in towards center mass, under the sword.
Hand, R: Smash at infantry targets of opportunity, then track charging automaton to left medium
Unoccupied crew: prepare to repel boarders
If Pacitar is unable to engage heavy cannon automaton at left, maneuver at low speed to place the most important-looking building we can between us and it
Maneuver: Rotate slight left to bring automaton engaged by friendlies into right shoulder range

CANNONS
Shoulder, R: Fire on automaton engaged by friendlies to support capture efforts
Hand, L: Fire when point-blank

Ralith fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 5, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Just to be sure, we can reasonably expect winching that automaton to help more than hurt our men engaging it, right?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
##vote
1. C; A
2. Plan Ralith; Plan Waci

MISC
Maneuver: Rotate right just enough to bring center long auto into left shoulder range. Retreat backwards to place buildings between us and right long cannon auto.
Hand, L: Wrest shield from downed swordsman. Shield-bash incoming swordsman when able. (thanks Thaumocrates for this idea)

CANNONS
Hand, R: Prepare to fire on incoming swordsman while it's reeling from shield bash, range as close as possible.
Shoulder, L: Fire on center long cannon auto.

MAGES:
Strix: Reserve power.
Pacitar: If and only if we are unable to find adequate cover from right long cannon auto, FORCESWITCH PORTAL its fire back at it. Otherwise, reserve power.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 6, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
##vote
1. B; C
2. Plan Ralith

If you'd asked me beforehand I would have had no idea I'd have this much fun doing tactics.

MISC
Hand, R: Take shield and block incoming fire from E cannon auto (probably by reaching behind our back since we'll be rotating). Prepare to engage S flanker once reloaded and after incoming fire situation resolves.
Hand, L: Engage ground forces
Maneuver: After right shoulder fires, rotate right to bring Jane to bear on SW cannon auto

CANNONS:
Hand, L: Engage ground forces
Shoulder, R: Fire on S flanker.
Jane: Fire on SW cannon auto

MAGES:
Strix: FEARCURSE E cannon auto
Pacitar: Reserve power

I'm holding off on using Pacitar much because I want him to be able to provide emergency repairs if necessary.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
LordVonEarlDuke informs me that we can't maneuver to employ the shoulder cannon and turn south in the same turn. As such I amend my plan such that right shoulder cannon holds fire for now. The flanker isn't an immediate concern, but the cannon autos are, we're already turning in the right direction to mitigate its flanking, and we should have the right hand and left shoulder reloaded before it can close.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 11, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
##vote
1. Plan Ralith

MAGES
Strix: FEARCURSE same target
Pacitar: FORCESWITCH PORTAL to E in anticipation of incoming fire from damaged auto, direct towards SW auto. If it's realistic to wait until the enemy actually fires to do this and otherwise reserve the power, then do so.

MISC
Maneuver: Rotate left and begin accelerating eastward. Keep an eye out for the evacuating nobles.
Hand, R: Use shield to block SW until called upon to fire

CANNONS
Shoulder, R: Fire on SW auto, attempt to winch into close range
Shoulder, L: Fire on intact auto to E
Hand, L: Continue engaging ground targets of opportunity
Hand, R: Fire on SW auto if winch brings it into close range

The one-time flanker sounds like he's now be moving directly away from us, making an easy shot for the winch. The survivors to E should have pretty crap morale now that we've decimated the rest, so hopefully the FEARCURSE will push one over the edge even if our slug isn't super effective, leaving the other damaged and without support. If we can hunt down the evacuating nobles last seen moving E, we should, as this might save us long-term political drama, but winning the battle takes priority.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
it is me, i am the planner :allears:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
lmao what the gently caress

Half naked guy out of nowhere? I think Vic's okay with this. Besides, maybe free mages. Every bandit queen loves free mages.

##vote
1. E; D; B; C; A

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
##vote
1. C

Seems like the best idea. We don't seem to be in immediate need of alpha strike capability. The peasants aren't even remotely reliable at attacking these things and I'd rather not waste time catching up to the nobles.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Huh. That certainly puts Crik and Sketter in an interesting light. Did they join the crew before or after us? What are the details of what happened to Crik's arm?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
##vote
1. C; A

I assume we'll get Pacitar fixing up our battle damage once he's recharged a bit. We really need to get him to train more people in that repair spell in case something happens to him.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I'm not sure I want to know whether she actually still has her eyelids or not.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Roland T. Dapperman posted:

I'm not sure we can actually catch the nobles' mech.
We can try, and if we fail we just come back. We don't even have to catch it per se, just get in shelling range, and our shelling range is long indeed.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

have we given any thought to what we want to do with this place after we're done? are we just looting, taking our cut and giving the place over to the rabble? if so then B

if we wanna move in, since it has impregnable walls and all, it might be a pretty nice place. not sure how blinged up our keep is.
I figure we turn it into some sort of protectorate. They pay us a reasonable tribute, we exercise veto power and wipe out threats.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

TheParadigm posted:

Asking one of our mages to use the 'impossible luck' spell to nail one of the nobles automaton's legs instead of a more populous portion might be a good idea. I think he's on his last fizzle chance?
Excellent call! That's Pacitar's Fortune's Favor spell and he hasn't actually fizzled at all yet, so he can almost certainly pull it off by just retrying a few times. Good thing I tried not to overuse him in combat!

##vote
1. Plan TheParadigm; B

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Waci posted:

##vote
1. Plan Waci

Get Pacitar to put his remaining magejuice into another Fortune's Favour, and then B.

This is either Plan TheParadigm or Plan Nemo depending on your idea of the desired outcome :v:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

TheParadigm posted:

For the record, only the nobility understands how to control the forcefield walls - this was a plot point with the prince in the opening, remember.

So that means to keep them, or use them, we need their murder or cooperation. The more we take alive, the bigger the chance one talks and then the power is in our hands.
I thought it was made clear during the attack planning that the mages should know too, and a couple mages just showed up on board...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
We planned the hell out of it and it was a pretty weak target to begin with, with them relying too heavily on their walls rather than investing some of that wealth in a proportionately dangerous military. Let's not assume the next fight will be this easy.

• Locked thread