Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
Steve Jobs: Miracle Machine

a QTE based game where you play Steve Jobs giving a tech presentation on apple's latest revolutionary release; navigate the surging emotions of the crowd, and the waves of the future, to alter the landscape of human imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A game where you toss a cat across an obstacle course made of trampolines.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat
Incontinental: You are on an international flight, and you have the flu! Can you make it?! CAN YOU MAKE IT?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

lol

nothing about MMOs is "a quick buck"

MMOs are the slowest buck there is

maybe some grand epic on the PC like EVE or WoW, but the majority of MMOs today are shat out in Unity over a weekend and thrown up on the Android app store for free, funded by micro-pays. there's practically a new one every day, it can't be that hard to make them

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
An MMO where everyone is a wizard.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

you guys probably have a different idea of what an MMO is, and they're barely the same kind of game. an ftp microtransaction flash mmo is not competing with the likes of WoW. it could be that EQ type MMOs will die out soon. that might be described as the subscription-addiction model.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
An MMO where you play as the cells of a human body and you all have to work together to keep the person alive.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Applewhite posted:

An MMO where you play as the cells of a human body and you all have to work together to keep the person alive.

i would want to play as a cancer cell, overthrowing the organism's tyranny.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Applewhite posted:

If you're like me, you probably have great ideas for video games, but lack the talent, skills, motivation and connections to make your game a reality. Post your video game ideas here and maybe a wandering video game company representative will see them and make them real!

I'll go first:

A Prison Architect sequel/expansion that lets you build fantastical prisons designed to hold supervillains, mythical beasts, aliens and sorcerers. Build your prison in space, or the bottom of the ocean or a hellish non-Euclidean dimension. Gain access to building materials like crystal, adamantium and hard light. Utilize fantasy confinement techniques like micro singularities, force fields, laser bars, and temporal loops.

Construct special oubliettes that take the special powers of certain prisoners into account, like the ability to transmit oneself through electrical cables (cell must have no electricity), or mind control (must have robot guards).

Hire Demons, Dragons, robots, Jedi, Dementors or Judges or dozens of others to be your guards.

Build anything from Chorh-Gom Prison from Kung Fu Panda to the Citadel from Adventure Time to Superjail from Superjail to Hell from Dante's Inferno to Azkaban from Harry Potter to the Iso Cubes from Judge Dredd (there sure are a lot of fantasy prisons).

Yeah, really a Sim City style game where you have to build and rebuild cties after superhero battles would probably be neat too

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A space opera MMO where everyone can live out their fantasy of being Flash Gordon or Jane Gordon.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
A survival horror game where you have to escape from the house you're in. The hook is that ostensibly it's just a normal house. Your first time playing through you start in the bedroom, walk down the stairs, out the front door and win. This sets up the player as thinking it's very easy to win.

The next step is that the player gets bored and starts exploring the house. There are a TON of secret passages, hidden notes, etc. The thing is, the more time you spend in the house the bigger it gets. You finally realize when you go back to that same front door you easily left through and instead of letting you out there's just another room on the other side.

Alternatively you could have some of the secret passages teleport you to different versions of the house, like one that's haunted, one that has zombies, one that's like black and white fuzzy VHS type scary.

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

I said a flip, flop, the hippie the hippie to the flip flop flop, you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat

Applewhite posted:

A space opera MMO where everyone can live out their fantasy of being Flash Gordon or Jane Gordon.

You are only allowed to play as Meat Loaf.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
A MMO where you are a seed that needs to germinate before winter time

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

you are generations of squirrels, accidentally planting a forest of oaks by stashing your acorns every year. you are, by turns, aware of the forest and of the trees.

that's probably the name of it: The Forest For the Trees.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

by the way, i am harvesting most of these ideas for my unwritten David Foster Wallace novel. it needs a realistically whimsical but thematically poignant world full of believably unbelievable real world stuff like video games.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

Gone Home but an actual survival horror game. It starts out like a normal house but you keep finding more rooms that increasingly reflect the depths of madness and depravity that have afflicted your family. Discover the other, darker novels your father wrote, and explore the true nature of the unholy relationship your sister has entered into with ruinous powers.
The climax is in the basement where you discover the remains of hundreds of victims of your family's ritual murders.
The twist: you were in on it the whole time and you murder the policeman who was coming to your rescue.

this is what I thought was going to happen while playing, no joke

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
a video game that is good, not bad

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

amusinginquiry posted:

a video game that is good, not bad

have you heard of farcry 4? :grin:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

turbomoose posted:

A survival horror game where you have to escape from the house you're in. The hook is that ostensibly it's just a normal house. Your first time playing through you start in the bedroom, walk down the stairs, out the front door and win. This sets up the player as thinking it's very easy to win.

The next step is that the player gets bored and starts exploring the house. There are a TON of secret passages, hidden notes, etc. The thing is, the more time you spend in the house the bigger it gets. You finally realize when you go back to that same front door you easily left through and instead of letting you out there's just another room on the other side.

Alternatively you could have some of the secret passages teleport you to different versions of the house, like one that's haunted, one that has zombies, one that's like black and white fuzzy VHS type scary.

Yeah I want to play this it would be awesome.

EngineerSean posted:

this is what I thought was going to happen while playing, no joke

Same. It would have been a lot cooler than what we got.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
star wars: the game

a mmo where you are a trash compactor operator on the death star. when the compactor fills up you have to "compact" the trash into a cube and then jettison it into space by pressing a button. the compoactor fills up about every 10 parsecs (thats about 48 hours in real time)

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Applewhite posted:

A dating sim where you are a disapproving father trying to sabotage all your daughter's relationships.

would also play the poo poo out of this game

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
An RPG where you get to navigate dungeons designed by other players. The twist: it isn't a huge pile of poo poo like every other time someone has tried this.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
home alone II: the game

a mmo where you are left alone at home while your parents got on an exotic vacation. you think they left you on accident but it was really on purpose. you are alone for a week and have to survive by using nothing but your wits and your boner

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

Bitchin' Mixtape '84!

You finally got the courage to talk to the cute girl in class that you totally like. She invited you over to study for the finals coming up. You are tasked with not only being cool- but to show her you have class, and style. You've got a dual cassette deck, and a choice of 5 radio stations. HOW WILL YOU WIN HER HEART?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Bipolar Transistor posted:

Bitchin' Mixtape '84!

You finally got the courage to talk to the cute girl in class that you totally like. She invited you over to study for the finals coming up. You are tasked with not only being cool- but to show her you have class, and style. You've got a dual cassette deck, and a choice of 5 radio stations. HOW WILL YOU WIN HER HEART?

i would play this game

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A space 4X RTS where players can't design their spaceships from the ground up because that's not fun and a huge timesink when you want to get to the business of managing your empire.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The Matrix MMO and The Secret World but not based too much around lovely combat and done on more than a shoe string budget

Bipolar Transistor
Feb 21, 2016

dad gay. so what posted:

star wars: the game

a mmo where you are a trash compactor operator on the death star. when the compactor fills up you have to "compact" the trash into a cube and then jettison it into space by pressing a button. the compoactor fills up about every 10 parsecs (thats about 48 hours in real time)

:f5:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
a simulation of Henry VIII bum wiper. it is a combination dexterity, and text adventure game. you must influence the king and get his favor through dialog challenges, but keep a steady hand at all times or you lose your position, or worse, your dignity.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Rutibex posted:

maybe some grand epic on the PC like EVE or WoW, but the majority of MMOs today are shat out in Unity over a weekend and thrown up on the Android app store for free, funded by micro-pays. there's practically a new one every day, it can't be that hard to make them

I legit didn't know this was a thing and wish I still didn't know this was a thing

but yeah I don't really consider this concept an MMO. MUDs aren't MMOs either.

Applewhite posted:

An RPG where you get to navigate dungeons designed by other players. The twist: it isn't a huge pile of poo poo like every other time someone has tried this.

The company I worked at literally had this concept as one of the games they were working on when I left, including the second sentence

(it is a batman game and is unsurprisingly not out yet)

sout
Apr 24, 2014

loquacius posted:

The company I worked at literally had this concept as one of the games they were working on when I left, including the second sentence

:siren: SOMETHING AWFUL EXCLUSIVE ANNOUNCEMENT :siren:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
A game where you sweep all of the mines

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

dad gay. so what posted:

home alone II: the game

a mmo where you are left alone at home while your parents got on an exotic vacation. you think they left you on accident but it was really on purpose. you are alone for a week and have to survive by using nothing but your wits and your boner

Wasn't this Home Alone 1? The second one was the one where he was lost in New York, wasn't it?

but yeah this is a faction-based game obviously (Kids vs Wet Bandits), which takes place in an infinitely large (procedurally-generated) house containing an infinite number of kids and burglars

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

I legit didn't know this was a thing and wish I still didn't know this was a thing

but yeah I don't really consider this concept an MMO. MUDs aren't MMOs either.

The "player driven levels" concept is cool in theory, but fails to take sturgeon's law into account. Sure it's great if you get a level designed by someone with a Master's Degree in Level Design, but if you're only going to play levels by experts then you might as well just play a normal video game.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

sout posted:

:siren: SOMETHING AWFUL EXCLUSIVE ANNOUNCEMENT :siren:

I checked the 'kipedia and it's already listed on there so I can't be retroactively fired from a job I hated :toot:

a starwar betamax posted:

A game where you sweep all of the mines

this would be a marked improvement over Minesweeper, the game where you click randomly a few times and then die

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

i feel it is a simulation that has not been adiquatly explored in the video game realm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groom_of_the_Stool

quote:

The Groom of the Stool (formally styled: "Groom of the King's Close Stool") was the most intimate of an English monarch's courtiers, whose physical intimacy naturally led to him becoming a man in whom much confidence was placed by his royal master and with whom many royal secrets were shared as a matter of course. This secret information he was privy to—whilst it would never have been revealed, to the discredit of his honour—in turn led to him becoming feared and respected and therefore powerful within the royal court in his own right. The office developed gradually over decades and centuries into one of administration of the royal finances, and under Henry VII, the Groom of the Stool became a powerful official involved in setting national fiscal policy, under the "Chamber System"

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
time management

you are in charge of making sure people know what time it is when they call in on a special time hotline. when someone calls in, they hear a recorded message that says "at the sound of the tone the time is" and then a time is given. your job is to press the button that makes the "tone" sound at the eexact moment when the clock reaches that time.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Really, an ARG based MMO would own pretty hard if you did it right. Think a multi platform experience set up where there's the "app" that gives bonuses for being in certain places at certain times and doing puzzles based on the location and the PC version with all the combat poo poo.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A Batman MMO where every player gets to be Batman and drive the Batmobile. You get to choose between different costumes and cars from across the history of the franchise, but you are all Batman.

No explanation is even attempted for why everyone is batman and nobody thinks it's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
the reckoning

an fps where your character is blind, deaf, and has downs syndrome.

• Locked thread